PDA

View Full Version : For all of you wanking on about car drivers not looking

firefighter
9th February 2011, 11:50
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r3NtRQL937I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Before the bullshit starts, what was the motorcyclist doing proceeding through an intersection when an emergency vehicle is trying to get through? Or was he just not paying attention? Food for thought when you start rarking up car drivers, especially you superman; who likes to chase down young girls.

Also, the fire truck was completely legally entitled to do what it did, due care was taken. I'm not going to have a legislation fight, the people who teach this know more than you.....and I.

I know it's not the motorcyclists fault really, the truck did'nt have flouro vests stapled all over it.........:shutup:

I post this as I randomly found it while looking at motorbike crashes and near misses (yes bored).....and bikes have been doing a bit of this recently. I guess too busily glaring at other road users and their less than perfect driving to consider their own, and actually pay attention themselves.

Looking forward to the shit-storm to follow......:corn:

Edit, yes two cars also fail to give way, however that's not the point of the post.

marie_speeds
9th February 2011, 11:58
There are many people on the roads who seem oblivious to the rules surrounding emergency services... I blame the police for that, many of the patrol cars like to use their lights and sirens just to get through busy intersections to make it back to the station in time for dinner or knockoff :shutup:

bogan
9th February 2011, 11:59
I only saw one bike in that, and no close calls, both a car and the bike 'cut off' the firetruck, and the driver was well away from hitting them. Technically the biker did perform an illegal lane change, but we can probably let him off this once.

Bald Eagle
9th February 2011, 12:07
I only saw one bike in that, and no close calls, both a car and the bike 'cut off' the firetruck, and the driver was well away from hitting them. Technically the biker did perform an illegal lane change, but we can probably let him off this once.

He actually committed the offence of "Failing to yield for an emergency vehicle", as did the car driver.

bogan
9th February 2011, 12:11
He actually committed the offence of "Failing to yield for an emergency vehicle", as did the car driver.

Or in layman's terms, 'cut off'. They must have seen it too, not exactly subtle, and I can't see any visual impairments.

firefighter
9th February 2011, 12:22
They must have seen it too, not exactly subtle, .

Ha yep, and that's an older truck now, they're even brighter and louder, yet people cut off firetrucks all the time.
Even when the flashing traffic lights outside the station are going, lights, horn and siren ya get cut off and people don't stop.
Fucks knows what flouro vests are supposed to achieve on motorbikes if people are oblivious to all of this.

Banditbandit
9th February 2011, 12:22
Yeah . the bike was at fault - so were the two cars following ...

Yeah .. we are not all perfect - we have to at least give Katman that ...

mashman
9th February 2011, 12:23
already moving motorcycle, green light, limited line of sight due to building being in the way, not expecting fire truck to be in the wrong lane, good on the fire truck driver for yielding or he may have got the car that drove through the lights as well as the Bike.

Maha
9th February 2011, 12:37
already moving motorcycle, green light, limited line of sight due to building being in the way, not expecting fire truck to be in the wrong lane, good on the fire truck driver for yielding or he may have got the car that drove through the lights as well as the Bike.

The bike can be heard from about the 33 sec mark....plus there were two cars :corn:

scumdog
9th February 2011, 12:41
Yup, flashing lights, sirens etc...

It shows that inattentive fuckwit ride/drive on all sorts of vehicles.

Fatt Max
9th February 2011, 12:47
Did'nt see anyone wave......

Banditbandit
9th February 2011, 12:49
Did'nt see anyone wave......

The guy in the Hi-viz jacket waved .. (oh ... you didn't seem him ? ...)

Smifffy
9th February 2011, 12:53
Was there a motorcycle in that vid? Sorry mate I didn't see one.

:innocent:

onearmedbandit
9th February 2011, 12:59
So let me get this right, operating a cell phone when driving is illegal, but holding onto a camera while driving is fine...

Nah I'm just fucking around. The motorcyclist needs to be hung drawn and quartered. We still do that right?

nodrog
9th February 2011, 13:05
Who is the Bellend using a video camera whilst driving?

Fanny.

steve_t
9th February 2011, 13:07
So let me get this right, operating a cell phone when driving is illegal, but holding onto a camera while driving is fine...

Nah I'm just fucking around. The motorcyclist needs to be hung drawn and quartered. We still do that right?

Fanny.

Looking at the video, I'd think it is more likely to be a POV camera like a GoPro or Contour than a cell phone

nodrog
9th February 2011, 13:13
Looking at the video, I'd think it is more likely to be a POV camera like a GoPro or Contour than a cell phone

Oh, that makes it ok then :facepalm:

Fanny.

DEATH_INC.
9th February 2011, 13:15
There was a firetruck in that vid? Sorry i didn't see it :p

Bald Eagle
9th February 2011, 13:15
It was hidden behind the High Viz :blink:

Gremlin
9th February 2011, 13:17
Always a good idea to play chicken with a fire truck... they carry approx 12 tonnes of water don't they?

Laava
9th February 2011, 14:54
You can hear the bike coming, I guess he is one of those "loud pipes save lives" dudes!

steve_t
9th February 2011, 14:58

Fanny.

Apologies. Nah, you're right, I think it is a cell phone. Some people seem to feel a need to start recording as soon as they hear sirens. I guess we wouldn't have shows like 'amazing crap caught on camera' if they didn't.

yungatart
9th February 2011, 15:14
Ha yep, and that's an older truck now, they're even brighter and louder, yet people cut off firetrucks all the time.
Even when the flashing traffic lights outside the station are going, lights, horn and siren ya get cut off and people don't stop.
Fucks knows what flouro vests are supposed to achieve on motorbikes if people are oblivious to all of this.

Exactly! They do the same to ambos under lights and sirens too!
Have to say though, it is not just bikes; cars, pedestrians, buses, trucks...all road users are represented.

firefighter
9th February 2011, 15:21
Exactly! They do the same to ambos under lights and sirens too!
Have to say though, it is not just bikes; cars, pedestrians, buses, trucks...all road users are represented.

Oh absolutely, however the point is just to illustrate that there's a big mirror some people need to look in. Plus the whole hi-vis thing and how I reckon it's a waste of time......anyone who tries to legislate that needs to see that vid, or do a ride-along and see that no-matter what you do, if people are'nt looking they won't see.

nodrog
9th February 2011, 15:30
Oh absolutely, however the point is just to illustrate that there's a big mirror some people need to look in. Plus the whole hi-vis thing and how I reckon it's a waste of time......anyone who tries to legislate that needs to see that vid, or do a ride-along and see that no-matter what you do, if people are'nt looking they won't see.

But the Fire Engine wasnt wearing a Hi-vis vest.

Fanny.

Berries
9th February 2011, 20:42
Clearly it was a false alarm as the other trucks were moving on. If they had used the radio and canceled the call out then the guys in the truck wouldn't have put themselves or other road users at risk whilst trying to rush to the scene.

Oh hang on, Mermaids is on the strip down there isn't it ? :yes: Who needs donuts..........

Ocean1
9th February 2011, 20:54
Interesting. The rider must have seen the fire engine about the time he's first seen throught the windows of the car in the foreground. What should he have done that would have been safer? Note that we've got no idea where the rig's going until well after the bike's gone.

firefighter
9th February 2011, 21:30
Clearly it was a false alarm as the other trucks were moving on. If they had used the radio and canceled the call out then the guys in the truck wouldn't have put themselves or other road users at risk whilst trying to rush to the scene.

Oh hang on, Mermaids is on the strip down there isn't it ? :yes: Who needs donuts..........

Clearly you don't know the procedures and protocols, so maybe you can handout advice when you know them. How do you know it was the same call? How do you know it was a false alarm? Or should we assume when you are trapped in your vehicle it's a false alarm and just take our time?

It is specifically taught to treat all fire-calls as real until proven otherwise, to prevent boy-cries-wolf scenarios.

When it is established and proven that it's a false alarm it IS conveyed to Firecom usually via a Sit-Rep, and other appliances are turned back to station. Obviously with your expertise and sound advice you already knew all of this.

So, this said, would you prefer to have emergency calls presumed as bullshit, or to be treated as emergencies until proven otherwise? Since you seem to know-it-all.

Berries
9th February 2011, 21:49
:facepalm:

I would have thought it was fairly bloody obvious that the bike rider should have seen the fire engine and given way to it. You post on here and say you look forward to a shit storm and lose your sense of humour on the second page. Thanks for the lesson though.

firefighter
9th February 2011, 21:57
:facepalm:

I would have thought it was fairly bloody obvious that the bike rider should have seen the fire engine and given way to it. You post on here and say you look forward to a shit storm and lose your sense of humour on the second page. Thanks for the lesson though.

I did'nt say I was'nt going to play......:innocent:

I was pissed that you deflected the blame, the rest just kinda typed itself......:shutup:

Berries
9th February 2011, 22:45
I was pissed that you deflected the blame
I'm on KB. I thought it was compulsory.

rustic101
9th February 2011, 22:59
The most dangerous vehicle on any road is always an Emergency Services vehicle. Their drivers are just unpredictable...

Its worse if you are blinded by their Hi Vis - never look directly at the vest...:facepalm:

Ocean1
10th February 2011, 11:06
I would have thought it was fairly bloody obvious that the bike rider should have seen the fire engine and given way to it.

One more time. Give way how?

The truck was on his side of the road with no indication as to where it was going. Anything he did could have put him exactly where the truck wanted to go.

The most dangerous vehicle on any road is always an Emergency Services vehicle. Their drivers are just unpredictable...

Looks that way to me.

Banditbandit
10th February 2011, 11:13

The truck was on his side of the road with no indication as to where it was going. Anything he did could have put him exactly where the truck wanted to go.

Looks that way to me.

No. Stopping outside the intersection would have been fine. As soon as the bike entered the intersection he was in the wrong.

Ocean1
10th February 2011, 12:28
No. Stopping outside the intersection would have been fine. As soon as the bike entered the intersection he was in the wrong.

Based on the timing shown in the video I'm not convinced he had that option. From the time he might be expected to have become aware of the truck, (and we can't know exactly where that was because his line of vision isn't clear) I'd say his options would have been limited in direct proportion to his understanding of where the truck wanted to go, and he would have had no idea about that because it wasn't indicating. If he'd pulled up and stopped immediately he saw the truck he could well have been sitting smack in the middle of the intersection, right where it eventually transpired the truck wanted to go.

It's not an attempt to mitigate any fault he might have bourne in the event of an accident, I just don't believe it's possible to demonstrate that he was at fault from that video, not by a long chalk.

superman
10th February 2011, 12:34
Food for thought when you start rarking up car drivers, especially you superman; who likes to chase down young girls.

You flatter me :tugger:

blackdog
10th February 2011, 13:41
he was fully aware that the firetruck was coming, he just ASSUMED that it was going to be in it's own lane

upon hearing the siren (and i assure you he could) he should have stopped outside the intersection

100% bikers fault

Banditbandit
10th February 2011, 13:45
Based on the timing shown in the video I'm not convinced he had that option. From the time he might be expected to have become aware of the truck, (and we can't know exactly where that was because his line of vision isn't clear) I'd say his options would have been limited in direct proportion to his understanding of where the truck wanted to go, and he would have had no idea about that because it wasn't indicating. If he'd pulled up and stopped immediately he saw the truck he could well have been sitting smack in the middle of the intersection, right where it eventually transpired the truck wanted to go.

It's not an attempt to mitigate any fault he might have bourne in the event of an accident, I just don't believe it's possible to demonstrate that he was at fault from that video, not by a long chalk.

he was fully aware that the firetruck was coming, he just ASSUMED that it was going to be in it's own lane

upon hearing the siren (and i assure you he could) he should have stopped outside the intersection

100% bikers fault

Maybe ... Ocean may well be right. We don't actually know enough and have enough info ... I do know that intersection and from the position of the fire engine and the timing of the bike going through it's a reasonable assumption that an aware rider could have/would have stopped ... but we don't really know that for sure

blackdog
10th February 2011, 13:55
Maybe ... Ocean may well be right. We don't actually know enough and have enough info ... I do know that intersection and from the position of the fire engine and the timing of the bike going through it's a reasonable assumption that an aware rider could have/would have stopped ... but we don't really know that for sure

no

the reason i know is that i have been in exactly the same position at the same intersection, albeit the siren was the police. i heard him coming down taranaki st easily 100 metres before i reached the the intersection. the speed he was travelling would have put him 300-500 metres up taranaki st when i first heard him.

i stopped at the green light, he sped through, no problem. the dickhead blowing his horn behind me pissed me off though

Ocean1
10th February 2011, 14:07
from the position of the fire engine and the timing of the bike going through it's a reasonable assumption that an aware rider could have/would have stopped ... but we don't really know that for sure

Chances are he simply didn't have his shit together. You can see him hesitate half way through, either first realising that the truck was there, where it shouldn’t be or perhaps re-assessing it’s intent.

Either way there’s nowhere near enough information to be apportioning blame to that rider here, far less a court, and in fact I can piece together a sequence of events from that clip that, if accurate would have had him justifiably fucking angry. We’re far too damn quick to stone them around here.

Berries
10th February 2011, 21:58

My take is that if you hear a siren you need to be ready to get out of the way. Approaching an intersection you need to be ready to stop. I imagine the siren would be pretty loud so you would know something was up. A rider should have stopped at the entrance to the intersection until he knew it was safe to go or at least until he saw whatever vehicle it was making the noise. Seeing as how the fire engine had to brake when the rider turned in front of him I think it was all a bit close.

Of course, I wouldn't actually blame the rider. It was all those cagers waiting at the lights that forced the fire engine on to the wrong side of the road.