PDA

View Full Version : Now I've got the bike, next step is...

sefer
20th June 2005, 23:41
Well, I'm mostly done with the stuff that's not costing me money, so the next step is the (possibly) expensive stuff.

First up - tyres - I need a front 110/70 17, and a rear 140/60 18. So far the only price I've got for them is $150 front, $250 back, but it has been suggested by another member that there may be some cheaper options...
Can anyone with a zxr tell me what tyre options there are anyway? Pirelli demons are the above prices, but I'll already called one shop who couldn't even find a rear to fit.

Second - gear - Now it sounds like I should be able to pick up a cheap, adverage helmet for under the $200 mark, so that's all sweet. However I am working under a budget (poor student and all) so can anyone suggest places to look for other gear. New or second-hand I'm not that fussed, and I'm quite happy to order from off-shore if it gets me good cheap gear. At the present time piorities go to a Jacket, gloves, pants in that order. I'll live with my docs for boots for the present, unless I find some cheap ones (hey, there better than shoes!)

I guess the next thing to ask is cordua or leather? I had leather in mind at first, but I guess I should consider if I'm going to cook in it when it gets hot too..

Jantar
20th June 2005, 23:44
Try The Pawn Shop for good 2nd hand leathers.

aff-man
21st June 2005, 00:00
or fish around on trademe.. got mine from an ex sidecar racer and they were only like $80 or so and then only $40 to get them all nicely cleaned up :Punk:

I was running a gpr80 on the rear with a mtr01 on the front. Bloody good combination.. You'll be looking at close to $450 though but you could probably find cheaper.

Gremlin
21st June 2005, 02:24
tyres - can't help you

gear - cordura vs leather - been done a lot on the forums (so a search will bring up pages of info/biased opinion :whistle: ), but sticking my neck out, if you are commuting, cordura is better for drying, more waterproof (if it is actually waterproof), liners for winter etc. Leather probably better for proper riding in country etc.

Jacket - if commuting, best to get cordura, make sure it is waterproof, zipping into pants is optional, liner would be good (flexibility is the key) and you would want armour in elbows, shoulders and usually back, at a minimum. I use an armoured waterproof cordura jacket, secondhand from another KB'r. Look in online trading section.

Gloves - for winter you might want waterproof, some find winter gloves too thick. I haven't had that problem with mine. Make sure if you get waterproof gloves, they are.

Pants - bit bad here, I use jeans (because I ride the bike just about 7 days a week and I am a poor student) but I also use knee and shin pads underneath to protect the knees. For waterproofing, you can't go past a pair of yellow PVC pants from the warehouse. Less than $10.

*EDIT:* Boots - Good if you have the coin to get proper boots for the ankle support, armour, waterproof etc, but I use standard leather boots. Laces is not a good idea, but I tuck mine into the boots (have done for years for some reason)

Places to go - Best bet is online trading, trademe, classifieds etc. Problem with jackets, pants gloves even helmets is that size varies from brand to brand, so make sure if buying through trademe or something, that you can actually fit into them. Might be best to go for the shop if sizing is difficult, that way you can be sure.

Also, don't underestimate the usefulness of sunnies. I ride with mine all day, even in rain, because if the sun comes out, you can get serious glare. :cool:

Mooch
21st June 2005, 03:00
Well, I'm mostly done with the stuff that's not costing me money, so the next step is the (possibly) expensive stuff.

First up - tyres - I need a front 110/70 17, and a rear 140/60 18. So far the only price I've got for them is $150 front, $250 back, but it has been suggested by another member that there may be some cheaper options...
Can anyone with a zxr tell me what tyre options there are anyway? Pirelli demons are the above prices, but I'll already called one shop who couldn't even find a rear to fit.

Second - gear - Now it sounds like I should be able to pick up a cheap, adverage helmet for under the $200 mark, so that's all sweet. However I am working under a budget (poor student and all) so can anyone suggest places to look for other gear. New or second-hand I'm not that fussed, and I'm quite happy to order from off-shore if it gets me good cheap gear. At the present time piorities go to a Jacket, gloves, pants in that order. I'll live with my docs for boots for the present, unless I find some cheap ones (hey, there better than shoes!)

I guess the next thing to ask is cordua or leather? I had leather in mind at first, but I guess I should consider if I'm going to cook in it when it gets hot too..

The 18 inch rear limits type choice , Used to run bridgestone battlax's on my old Kr1 (same size tyres as yours.) Changed to IRC at one point (Cheap price, mechanic recommended over battlax).IRC where ok but preferred the Bridgstones in the wet. Check out the PDF link for oem tyres. http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/machine/kawasaki.pdf . The prices above seem about right.

My personal gear choice would be leather over cordua mainly because I don't commute on the bike and is cooler than the cordua on those hot days. Protection comes down to design and armour so can't say which way would be better on a budget. However, Leather is better from a fireproofing point of view and is surposed to spread the impact over a larger area meaning less damage at impact points.

Consider putting yourself on additonal motorcycling courses as part of your budget. This is just as important as the saftey gear and is often overlooked. :niceone:

John
21st June 2005, 03:09
Dispite what people say, I recommend leather in all applications.

Helmet - I was once told "Your's is already fucked but its still best to protect it", make sure it has all the snell, dot etc certifications.
Gloves - waterproof carbon knuckles (saved me already), make sure kelvar stiched.
Boots - Make sure they actually are tight around your foot otherwise wear jandels, they are there to support your ankle in a crash, make sure they fit properly, replacable sliders are a good idea, but cost abit over the others.
Jacket - cordua / leather, make sure it has hard inner and soft outer armour and is kelvar stiched.
Pants - same as jacket.

As for tires as I previously said, you should be able to get a set for around 340$ some random (funny sounding) brand, go to the local bike shop and see what they say, no point forking out mega bucks on tires when your not able to use them to full potential.

Kickaha
21st June 2005, 07:25
As for tires as I previously said, you should be able to get a set for around 340$ some random (funny sounding) brand, go to the local bike shop and see what they say, no point forking out mega bucks on tires when your not able to use them to full potential.

I don't agree you're better off buying the best you can afford and a decent brand, good tyres give you more grip in the wet and for those " ah shit" moments where a lesser quality tyre might let go and thats the last thing a new rider needs

Devil
21st June 2005, 08:23

Dont be afraid to try and negotiate a better price. I KNOW you can get sport demons cheaper than that.

XP@
21st June 2005, 10:34
Second - gear - Now it sounds like I should be able to pick up a cheap, adverage helmet for under the $200 mark, so that's all sweet.
:On soap box:
My advise is get the best lid you can afford. You only have one head so protect it well!
:Off soap Box:

But you ain't going to crash in the first place are you... Just to make sure you should take some time reading up on how to ride, and aim to be a good rider. a good place to start is the Survival Skills Forum (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49). Don't be afraid to ask questions :-) we are here to help.

sefer
21st June 2005, 15:57
Crash?? Of course not! I just want the helmet for the look ;)

I must admit I've been taking it out for short spins around my driveway/street using the old helmet I've got and an old leather jacket and gloves (of the non-bike varity) and am starting to get use to riding it. Still some issues with cornering, but I'm getting there.

I'm starting to think cordua myself at this point, as I will be mainly communting, and the cost is a little cheaper, but I have been looking at the leather jackets that are on lifestyle imports too. Any thoughts on those?

White trash
21st June 2005, 16:47
....practice wheelies.

You're welcome.

John
21st June 2005, 17:06
I don't agree you're better off buying the best you can afford and a decent brand, good tyres give you more grip in the wet and for those " ah shit" moments where a lesser quality tyre might let go and thats the last thing a new rider needs
Talk to tristan, he has no problems with his shit ones.

I ride GPR70s Most of the time, but cheaper ones are never a problem.

JohnBoy
21st June 2005, 22:18
1 stop shop that will help.. Cash converters. good for cheap leathers, and others. but don't skimp on a helmit, get one that your happy with. its pure arse if you have a crap lid.

go pirelli sport deamon's there pretty much as good as you can get for a smaller bike, but shop around for a good price. i had em on my old MC19 CBR250 and they went pretty well.

good luck :ride:

sefer
21st June 2005, 23:26
Thanks for the advice. Still a couple of shops to check out re:tyres.
I've got the day off on friday so I'll do that then and have a look in the local pawn shops and cash converters for some gear then too. Hopefully I can find something cheap and look at upgrading when I've got a little extra cash, or something too good to pass up comes along.

Brains
22nd June 2005, 00:02
I'm in the same boat in terms of cash and being a poor student. What has really helped me out is my local bike shop, I have an account with them. So for example when I went in to get my WOF they said that my tire passed, but within a hundred ks it would be no good (knew that it was getting pasted it's used by date). So being a poor student I didn't have the near $400 for a new rear, they just put it on my account and I can afford that tyre over a month and a half or so. So maybe you can set up an account with your local, start off with small items (under a hundred), and then as you increase the cost of stuff you're buying always make sure it's okay with the owner - politeness goes a very long way. Then before you know it, you have a good rep with the shop, if stuff needs to be done to the bike or you need some gear, they are only too happy to put it on account and usually give you a discount because you are a good customer.

As for the gear, don't buy a second hand helmet, it's no good spending the time and money on educating yourself and then buying a helmet which is less than what it should be. Second hand leathers, be wary of age here, old leather when it goes down it can simply rip apart. With pants maybe have a look at some thing like Draggin jeans, then you can wear them as normal jeans as well.

It does take time to get the gear, I'm on my third bike now and only now do I have the good gear - infact the gear I wear now is worth alot more than my first bike.

Best of luck.

XP@
22nd June 2005, 09:32
So maybe you can set up an account with your local, start off with small items (under a hundred), and then as you increase the cost of stuff you're buying always make sure it's okay with the owner - politeness goes a very long way. Then before you know it, you have a good rep with the shop, if stuff needs to be done to the bike or you need some gear, they are only too happy to put it on account and usually give you a discount because you are a good customer.

Yup, that works well... I have auto payment set up each month to Boyle Kawasaki.

Also Cash Converters is NOT ok for Helmets!

sefer
22nd June 2005, 10:03
Don't worry, my helmet will be new, at worst 'new' secondhand from a trusted person. I'll most likely pick up one of the CL-14s that are on special atm, unless somewhere local has a better deal.

FEINT
22nd June 2005, 15:20
THE CL14's are currently on offer at Motomail ( I think) and at Red Baron. I have heard that they are running out of stock of the cheaper CL-14's (export model). So if you want to pay $229 - $250 then get yours soon! If not, they retail for $349.00 I think.

Devil
22nd June 2005, 15:44
THE CL14's are currently on offer at Motomail ( I think) and at Red Baron. I have heard that they are running out of stock of the cheaper CL-14's (export model). So if you want to pay $229 - $250 then get yours soon! If not, they retail for $349.00 I think.
Lou @ AMPS was mentioning they had them for $169

sefer
22nd June 2005, 19:33
^^ yep, those are the ones I'm looking at. I've got to check my size first though. I could assume that it's the same as the CS-10 size, but better safe I guess.

Toast
22nd June 2005, 19:57
Re: tyres, if you're on a budget, I'd recommend Bridgestone BT45's. Cheap, last ages, good in the wet, and give GREAT feel. I don't know of anyone else who has used them to be honest, but Cycletreads recommended them to me for my CBR250, and I was totally in love with them. :niceone:

Ixion
23rd June 2005, 00:15
Re: tyres, if you're on a budget, I'd recommend Bridgestone BT45's. Cheap, last ages, good in the wet, and give GREAT feel. I don't know of anyone else who has used them to be honest, but Cycletreads recommended them to me for my CBR250, and I was totally in love with them. :niceone:

I have them on Li'L Ratty. Pretty good. Doubt I'd reach their limits in the dry. Not quite as much grip as I'd hoped in the wet, but when they let go it's nice and gentle with lots of warning.

I'd recommend them.

Toast
23rd June 2005, 14:02
...when they let go it's nice and gentle with lots of warning.

I'd recommend them.

Yup :niceone: That's why I'd take 'em over Sport Demons, which in my experience do not act gracefully on the limit (or maybe I was just being a tit that day).

Ixion, do you notice that they kinda 'chirp' when being pushed real hard? The front at least.

Ixion
23rd June 2005, 14:09
Yup :niceone: That's why I'd take 'em over Sport Demons, which in my experience do not act gracefully on the limit (or maybe I was just being a tit that day).

Ixion, do you notice that they kinda 'chirp' when being pushed real hard? The front at least.

Yeah, they make a sort of "squuezle squiggle cheep " noise. Funny noise but quite distinctive. First time I heard I thought WTF is that? Then realised what it was. They do that quite a bit before they finally let go too, even in the wet. And when they do go it's quite gentle and gradual. Just a sort of "cap'n we canna holllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld it hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". Lots of time to adjust matters.

I'd rate them a good safe fast touring tyre.

sefer
23rd June 2005, 15:06
Sounds great! ... pity they don't make a rear to fit :(

So far by going through the main companies sites I've only found a few that have a rear to fit:
Bridgestone BT92, Cy16/17 (original equip tyres, or close too it).
Dunlop K510

Still I'll know what's avaible locally after tomorrow :)

Toast
24th June 2005, 22:19
Yeah, they make a sort of "squuezle squiggle cheep " noise. Funny noise but quite distinctive. First time I heard I thought WTF is that? Then realised what it was. They do that quite a bit before they finally let go too, even in the wet. And when they do go it's quite gentle and gradual. Just a sort of "cap'n we canna holllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld it hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". Lots of time to adjust matters.

I'd rate them a good safe fast touring tyre.

It's so good having that sound there...just one more bit of feedback to let you know how much there is to go. They should engineer that in to all tyres.

FlyingDutchMan
25th June 2005, 10:34
Sounds great! ... pity they don't make a rear to fit :(

So far by going through the main companies sites I've only found a few that have a rear to fit:
Bridgestone BT92, Cy16/17 (original equip tyres, or close too it).
Dunlop K510

Still I'll know what's avaible locally after tomorrow :)
Have a talk to the guys at pitlane motorcycles/cycletreads (Manchester st). They know their stuff, and fit the tyres for free. I do most my motorbike shopping there now.

sefer
25th June 2005, 12:04
Yeah I was in there yesterday. Great guys, were really helpful (same with street and sport next door).
They can fit bridgestones for the same price as the sports demons at Norjo.

I did also go to Trevor Pierce, they can do me Shinko tyres at around $150 each. I haven't looked into what they are like yet thou.

And bugger, I'm a small in the CL-14 (which is strange when you consider I'm a large in the CS-10), so no cheap helmet for me(they only had L-XL-XXL) :( So next options are: I get one of the cheap Nitros I saw yesterday for $150, or I get a CL-14 from Motomail (assuming they shipping here is the same) for $199. (Their $250 including $50-off locally).

Last, does anyone own the Spool jacket/trou combo for $269.95 in the Motomail? Sounds a good price..

ducatilover
21st July 2005, 21:38
hey, i got my leathers from cash converters me jacket was only 50 smaks and its a minter. the pants were60 smacks & there good too. remember leather sux in the wet. i got a new zeus helmet for $170 but thats cos i know the shop owner but look around and youll find some good shit just dont get a second hand helmet :Punk:

unhingedlizard
22nd July 2005, 23:03
just like to point out I got Pirreli (sp?) sport demons for my bike (100/90 17F 130/90 17R) at waikato Yamaha for $300.