PDA

View Full Version : Are you sensible if you walk your bike across streams?

Waihou Thumper
10th February 2011, 16:19
Or should you at all costs just go for it after
a. Testing the depth. Let your mate go first...:)
b. unload and walk all your belongings over to the other side.
c. Roll up your trousers and take off your boots? (You gotta be kidding on that one, surely!) :facepalm: This is adventure riding...sheesh...

What say everyone? The risk to the bike not going again for some time after can be a bit of a PITA! to say the least. I can see merits in it if you are on your own. I walked the bike quite successfully across a deep strem not too long ago, engine running and in first gear....

With snotty big rocks and deep holes, the problem then becomes, how to dismount and get it across.
Maybe the fun is trying it and making it over to the other side upright and in a semi- dignified manner for You Tube...

Spearfish
10th February 2011, 16:23
c. Roll up your trousers and take off your boots? (You gotta be kidding on that one, surely!) :facepalm: This is adventure riding...sheesh...

What say everyone? The risk to the bike not going again for some time after can be a bit of a PITA! to say the least. I can see merits in it if you are on your own. I walked the bike quite successfully across a deep strem not too long ago, engine running and in first gear....

With snotty big rocks and deep holes, the problem then becomes, how to dismount and get it across.
Maybe the fun is trying it and making it over to the other side upright and in a semi- dignified manner for You Tube...

I've been shy of riding over mostly because I'm using a pod filter (crap idea) that's essentially lowered the intake level..or more truthfull I'm good at finding boulders and falling off.

Eddieb
10th February 2011, 16:38

It means you're a big girly blouse and you need to sell your KTM and buy a KLR :Pokey:

But in all seriousness, each crossing needs to be considered on it's own merits and risks and if the situation warrants it then by all means walk it across.

I even bloused out of a crossing altogether on my trip down south. The stream at the top of the Rainbow road had washed the ford out and replaced it with big chunky boulders as was running much higher and faster than I was comfortable with attempting on my own with the 950. I decided discretion was the better part of valor that day.

A week later I came back from the opposite end and knocked the bastard off.

Motu
10th February 2011, 16:39
As a trials rider I walk all stream crossings,study the ground - then take the bike across.

george formby
10th February 2011, 16:46
As a trials rider I walk all stream crossings,study the ground - then take the bike across.

+1 Look before you leap.

NordieBoy
10th February 2011, 18:09
I'd walk the bike across no probs.

I'm the one with the camera.

Your job is to ride across without fear and look spectacular.

Monstaman
10th February 2011, 18:14
To quote Jeremy Clarkson "It doesn't matter what you do as long as you look cool while you are doing it"

Failing that at least put on a good show for Nordies camera :devil2:

Crim
10th February 2011, 18:14

As a shite rider I charge in :woohoo: and then wait to get rescued :facepalm: ............... Thanks Ryan, TA, Josh, Rog, Mark, Padmei, Eddie, Steve and the many others that have come to my rescue (haven't drowned it yet so don't go on river crossings with me cos I am due!)

rwh
10th February 2011, 18:29
I haven't done any adv riding, but I've done a bit of tramping ...

No way. Asking for a twisted ankle, or having it bashed by a rolling boulder.

Unless the stream's crossing a sandy beach, perhaps.

Richard

Gravel Man
10th February 2011, 18:31
If In doubt I would walk my bike through, as trying to dewater a 990 would be more of A P.I.T.A. than wet boots would ever be.
Cheers G M

Phreaky Phil
10th February 2011, 18:35
As what the others have said, it depends on the river, for example, below is a photo taken on a Sidetrack Mag ride in 98. The river was in flood, waist deep in the center and flowing fast. Our lead rider walked in a bit and decided it was do-able. The option was 50km backtrack and riding in the dark. As it was we rode the last bit in the dark. So with dead engines and 4or5 per bike we pushed them across. We had 11 bikes so it meant several trips. It was scary. At on point, on the way back across (linked arms) was on the top. I stumbled on a rock and with the weight of the water I going down. I'll never forget Tony Kirby (SideTrack owner, Recently deceased) shouting, "DONT LET HIM GO"

Cary
10th February 2011, 18:52
And throw him in, excellent depth guage :laugh:231646231645

NordieBoy
10th February 2011, 18:56
As what the others have said, it depends on the river, for example, below is a photo taken on a Sidetrack Mag ride in 98.

That is cool.

NordieBoy
10th February 2011, 18:58
And throw him in, excellent depth guage :laugh:

I walked this first...
http://sports.nelson.geek.nz/motorsport/mybikes/Trips/20101003%20Porika/slides/20101003-160109.jpg

Phreaky Phil
10th February 2011, 19:09
I walked this first...
http://sports.nelson.geek.nz/motorsport/mybikes/Trips/20101003%20Porika/slides/20101003-160109.jpg
How far out did ya walk !!

Padmei
10th February 2011, 19:51
Pah if you pussies knew how to ride You'd do what I do & just pop a cool wheelie, while tilting your 3/4 helmeted head toward the camera, pull down your eighties aviators & give a manly wink while stroking your windswept & interesting face.

Going slow & careful is for pussies.

Woodman
10th February 2011, 20:30
Never walked a bike across a stream yet, but if there was a need it is an option.

My usual method is to ride in and see what happens . usually works.

NordieBoy
10th February 2011, 20:32

Similar to the Zerax method.

Nail it and hold on!

Edit: That's Zerax and river crossings. I have no knowledge of anything else those words may conjure in your twisted minds.

nothingflash
10th February 2011, 20:38
A mate of mine on here sent me this from a ride a while back...any takers..?

Monstaman
10th February 2011, 20:53
Never walked a bike across a stream yet, but if there was a need it is an option.

You mean like this :facepalm: :shutup:

Padmei
10th February 2011, 21:01
A mate of mine on here sent me this from a ride a while back...any takers..?

Yeh thats me alright but someone photoshopped one of them steekin KTMs into the picture.

Speaking of Zerax - you guys heard of anyone doing 3 front somersaults on a ride near Tekapo lately?

Woodman
10th February 2011, 21:01
You mean like this :facepalm: :shutup:

Minor technicality, but that is not a stream, its a rut.

Still feel guilty about holding you guys up though.

Monstaman
10th February 2011, 21:10
Minor technicality, but that is not a stream, its a rut.

Still feel guilty about holding you guys up though.

All part of the adventure mate no worries at all .. .comes back to bashing a man when he is down :D .. much easier :devil2:

The Thompsons etc that we missed is no drama, I have done it a number of times on the bike and in the truck, all in my back yard.

Besides I had heaps of fun riding in to Wanaka at 3.30 am Monday morning killing bunnies with the DR! :woohoo:

pete376403
10th February 2011, 21:49
If In doubt I would walk my bike through, as trying to dewater a 990 would be more of A P.I.T.A. than wet boots would ever be.
Cheers G M

+1 on that. A friend drowned his 950 in the stream after Napoleon Hill (?, the one with the tunnels). Took many hours, much dismantling and two big Toyota HiLux batteries to get it running again. Thank heavens for the very helpful farmer.

bart
10th February 2011, 21:59
If it doesn't look like I'll get through on the pegs (standing), I walk mine through rivers, gently clutching it in 1st. Dabbing a foot isn't really an option when you can't touch the ground. :facepalm:

I have a slight phobia with rivers though, and wet feet don't bother me.

warewolf
10th February 2011, 23:02
2007 Brass-Monkey-Adventure (kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/49653-Brass-Monkey-Adventure?p=1087377#post1087377)

After drowning the KTM 990, we walked/rode-assisted the other bikes through. After getting the water out of the cylinders, this one fired up second press of the starter. :woohoo: She was a little deep: vid in this post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/49653-Brass-Monkey-Adventure?p=1087993#post1087993).

Waihou Thumper
11th February 2011, 06:16
Nice stories and pictures guys. I knew this would be a goodie. After all of the rides and the thrills and spills, we all seem to haqve the most fun at water :)
The gathering of the Paparazzi at the other side of the river/stream/puddle waiting to see that splash/fall and near drowning!
We are all sick....:woohoo:

XF650
11th February 2011, 10:37
+1 on that. A friend drowned his 950 in the stream after Napoleon Hill (?, the one with the tunnels). Took many hours, much dismantling and two big Toyota HiLux batteries to get it running again. Thank heavens for the very helpful farmer.

That's exactly where I drowned my DT230.
As it went under I could see there were better places to cross....

Oscar
11th February 2011, 10:40
I walked my bike through the first deep crossing on the Rainbow just before New Year, and I'm glad I did. It was deep enough to be hitting the lower gas tank on the 950 and running fast enough to put a lot of pressure on it.

Most of the time I stand up and trials it across.

However there was an incident on the Molesworth where I entered a ford (just after Isolation Flat) at warp speed because Kev was taking a photo and distracted me (I didn't see the warning sign). I hit the water, which was knee deep, at about 70km/h and have a ding in the front rim to show for it...

cooneyr
11th February 2011, 11:51
Before bikes there was 4wd's and before that tramping for me. General rules of thumb

If its dirty or cloudy walk it - never know how deep it is
If it's fast and deep walk it - if not lumpy then try a with the current crossing. This is esential when tramping and very helpful when on bikes and in 4wd's
Its lumpy and moderatly deep walk it otherwise stand up and trial ride it
Anything else = go for it.

The with the current crossing technique is easily done in the S. Island if you look around for a little bit before diving in. It really does help big time even on a bike.

Cheers R

gav24
11th February 2011, 18:59
If it doesn't look like I'll get through on the pegs (standing), I walk mine through rivers, gently clutching it in 1st. Dabbing a foot isn't really an option when you can't touch the ground. :facepalm:

I have a slight phobia with rivers though, and wet feet don't bother me.

Usually its not as bad as you think its going to be - usually!
Bart you have some cool river crossing photos of me from the last RRRR dont you? I remember being the test dummy about 4 times on that particular river! No one else was game in the end so I spent the rest of the day, and the next with wet feet:facepalm:
Wont happen anymore though - whilst in the UK last month I picked up some crazy waterproof gore tex socks, Da-Dah !:yes:

bart
11th February 2011, 19:22
Usually its not as bad as you think its going to be - usually!
Bart you have some cool river crossing photos of me from the last RRRR dont you? I remember being the test dummy about 4 times on that particular river! No one else was game in the end so I spent the rest of the day, and the next with wet feet:facepalm:
Wont happen anymore though - whilst in the UK last month I picked up some crazy waterproof gore tex socks, Da-Dah !:yes:

Here's a couple of the Gavinator....and one other

Waihou Thumper
11th February 2011, 19:48
It aint like you can link arms and walk across as trampers do :)
I agree with Ryan, as I also came from a tramping background...It is a tad bit easier to maybe assess, walk further up or down and try....
BUT, you are on a big Frikken bike......you are limited..:)
Good stories and techniques, to tell the truth, they are not too far dis-similar from trampers/hikers and hunters.....

respect, and look for signs......
Most importantly, if there is a camera on the other side (Nordie or similar, lurking.....) Cane it and be famous...Boo Ya!

buggsubique
11th February 2011, 20:11
If I make it across I was being sensible. If I don't make it, I shoulda been more sensibilla.

Waihou Thumper
11th February 2011, 20:13
If I make it across I was being sensible. If I don't make it, I shoulda been more sensibilla.

Fuk! How to kill a thread.....haha, sum it up in a sentence......:yes:
Yes, that is the sum of it aye!

Night Falcon
11th February 2011, 20:19
I walked this first...

....Proof that DR's are too heavy:corn:

JATZ
11th February 2011, 20:19
I'm sure Nordie has a pic of his brother crossing a small river on the TT, showing the correct technique.:msn-wink:
With a bit of luck he'll dig it out and post it up :yes:

bart
11th February 2011, 20:22

Hahaha....best laugh I've had in a while. :killingme

DEATH_INC.
11th February 2011, 22:30
I've drowned a few back in the day....I use the 'when the tank goes under it's prolly too deep' method. A bit of speed helps make a bow wave that can save ya....sometimes :facepalm:
Oh yeh, an '82 XT250 (my brothers :whistle: ) is a bloody submarine...

Howie
11th February 2011, 22:35
[QUOTE=bart;1129983136]Here's a couple of the Gavinator....and one other

Here's one of Bart in the same river as Gav a few months earlier. He seems to be doing alright with charge straighht in method.:gob:

NordieBoy
12th February 2011, 06:15
I'm sure Nordie has a pic of his brother crossing a small river on the TT, showing the correct technique.:msn-wink:
With a bit of luck he'll dig it out and post it up :yes:

Over to Mt Patriarch. The crossing by Murderers Rock on the Maungatapu.
Saves on front tyre wear apparently.
http://sports.nelson.geek.nz/motorsport/mybikes/Trips/20081019%20Mt%20Patriarch/slides/20081019-100128.jpg

Uses the same technique in the 4x4...
http://sports.nelson.geek.nz/motorsport/mybikes/Trips/20080105%20Dusty%20Butt%201000%20-%202%20Day/slides/20080105-183521.jpg

Spearfish
12th February 2011, 06:36
Great pics!!

NordieBoy
12th February 2011, 07:42

:facepalm:

Now that's just mean.

Oscar
12th February 2011, 08:14
How not to do it....

http://oscar.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Gentlemans-Adventure-2010/P1010129/1183715941_EJarG-M.jpg

NordieBoy
12th February 2011, 08:55
How not to do it....

Woah. Backwards!

Cooool...

pete376403
12th February 2011, 20:53
On a group ride a while back, this little river caused a few riders grief. A little over knee deep, but the bottom was all big round slippery boulders. (I walked the KLR across)

Talking with a local at Murchison afterward, he said not very many people ride (successfully) across the Mackley.

Monstaman
12th February 2011, 21:45
Talking with a local at Murchison afterward, he said not very many people ride (successfully) across the Mackley.

We did at Christmas with Team JATZ, wasn't too bad after the big flood came through and cleaned it out.

rwh
13th February 2011, 13:47
I guess if you were to go fast enough to aquaplane, the rocks on the bottom would be irrelevant :)

Richard

gav24
14th February 2011, 19:03
I was talking to Geraint Jones (welsh enduro hardman legend) years ago and he gave me a really good bit of advice for watercrossings, particularly those that have a load of ruts and mud through it.
"If you dont want to, or cant stop and check it all out - always take the rut on the upstream side."
Seems to work for me.

Queue endless theoreys and ideas as to why that one is usually always shallower......:corn:

NordieBoy
14th February 2011, 20:28
Queue endless theoreys and ideas as to why that one is usually always shallower......:corn:

'Cause he tells everyone else to take the downstream rut.

:facepalm:

The Inuit have 500 words for snow.
The Welsh have 500 words for mud.

Most of them contain expletives though.

clint640
15th February 2011, 11:05
On a group ride a while back, this little river caused a few riders grief. A little over knee deep, but the bottom was all big round slippery boulders. (I walked the KLR across)

We walked our gear over that one & picked a line, then rode across ok, with the other guy in the river as catcher if required:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/clhandcock/36mak.jpg

It was indeed bouldery, but I was surprised how grippy the rocks were - not slippery at all, it would have been 10x harder if they were slimy.

Cheers
Clint

clint640
15th February 2011, 11:06
Another Mackley pic for ya:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/clhandcock/35mak.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Mungatoke Mad
21st February 2011, 21:42
Cheers G M

If in doubt Check it OUT Then Jump it !