PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust, police fail again.

jaykay
11th February 2011, 04:07
Or more accurately, another two police prosecutions against me fail.

Getting on for a year ago I was accused of "theft of a wheel clamp", fitted to a car at the university. Yesterday the farce finally came to an end, case dismissed. And the Police even cocked that up by forgetting to tell my lawyer over a month ago that the case was going to be withdrawn.
So a big thank you to all taxpayers as it was all on legal aid - the final bill, including a search warrent executed at my house looking for a wheel clamp in bedroom drawers, must be in five figures - now it's off to Police Complaints.

Part 2. Just had an e mail from the Police in Rangiora which contains this gem:

"Due to an administrative oversight the certificate of accuracy for the vehicle used in the weekly 'run through' was not disclosed.

Police accept that in fairness to you and in the interests of justice the charge against you should be withdrawn."

Do I detect the smell of bullshit?

Still, this time at least they managed to tell me beforehand, the last time the Rangiora Police wrote to me withdrawing a speeding charge they managed to send it to the wrong address.

As far as I can remember I have now defeated the police over five speeding tickets, in the last few years - which just leaves a speed camera one from two years ago due to be heard next Wednesday (another almighty Police cock up) - and one from Oamaru issued in December 2009 - not quite made it into court yet.

Then I suppose there are the speeding tickets that two of my children have, more delays and cock ups, and the final part to the council spending a few thousand on prosecuting me over a $40 parking ticket that is stuck in limbo.

It should be everyones civic duty to ensure that the collection cost of an infringement ticket outweighs the money collected.

C'est la vie.

hayd3n
11th February 2011, 06:23
no comment

Maha
11th February 2011, 06:28
Administrative oversight?
Does sound unusual given that you owe them money.

Nasty
11th February 2011, 06:31
Administrative oversight?
Does sound unusual given that you owe them money.

Have looked at previous posts .. this guy just loves to play the system ... and see how he can screw them over even if he knows he should pay the ticket. Admin oversight comes down too - how long it takes to screw the system - and how much gets lost in it ;)

Maha
11th February 2011, 06:36
Have looked at previous posts .. this guy just loves to play the system ... and see how he can screw them over even if he knows he should pay the ticket. Admin oversight comes down too - how long it takes to screw the system - and how much gets lost in it ;)

I sort of gathered that while reading the post that he ''enjoys'' at little game of cat n' mouse.

''I have now defeated the police over five speeding tickets, in the last few years - which just leaves a speed camera one from two years ago due to be heard next Wednesday (another almighty Police cock up) - and one from Oamaru issued in December 2009 - not quite made it into court yet''.

reggie1198
11th February 2011, 06:47
it should be everyones civic duty to ensure that the collection cost of an infringement ticket outweighs the money collected.

Why?

and all on legal aid as well, get a fucking job and stop being a drain on the economy

The fact that you have kids and you are teaching them to dodge shit saddens me, do the crime pay the fine. or if not at least stop bragging about it. It's scumbag moochers like you who are sucking all that is good out of this country.

That's my 0.02c worth

Reggie

Grubber
11th February 2011, 06:55
it should be everyones civic duty to ensure that the collection cost of an infringement ticket outweighs the money collected.

Why?

and all on legal aid as well, get a fucking job and stop being a drain on the economy

The fact that you have kids and you are teaching them to dodge shit saddens me, do the crime pay the fine. or if not at least stop bragging about it. It's scumbag moochers like you who are sucking all that is good out of this country.

That's my 0.02c worth

Reggie
]
Couldn't agree more. It's our money he's playing with here for his own gain. Ya speed ya pay. Simple really.

Scuba_Steve
11th February 2011, 07:03

Why?

That's my 0.02c worth

Reggie

Im quite happy for some of my money to go towards fighting scams & he should be teaching his kid NOT to be scammed I would, also its the Govt, P.I.G.s, legal system & REAL criminals that are sucking all good out of this country by the sounds of it he's trying to put some good back in it by fighting these scams. :yes:

The Everlasting
11th February 2011, 07:22
Yep,if you do the crime,you gotta pay!!

Swoop
11th February 2011, 07:29
accused of "theft of a wheel clamp", fitted to a car at the university.
Hopefully it was not someone else's car?
I've always been of the opinion that if somebody wants to leave on, or attach something to, my property it becomes mine.

:blip:

rustic101
11th February 2011, 07:40
The OP may be able to dodge these but eventually the Laws of Karma are going to catch up with him and he may well just pay in another way:facepalm:

Banditbandit
11th February 2011, 08:06
It should be everyones civic duty to ensure that the collection cost of an infringement ticket outweighs the money collected.

C'est la vie.

Yeah ... but in the end how much does it cost you in time, money and hassle ...

A fun game for a while but fighting the system like that is wearying in the end ...

Why?

That's my 0.02c worth

Reggie

And I agree with Reggie - we're funding his game ...

Bender
11th February 2011, 09:17
Everything that's wrong with this country and why we are fucked.

Usarka
11th February 2011, 09:20
Proof that biking is being taken over by the middle-aged middle/upper class.

Stick it to the man!

avgas
11th February 2011, 09:52
Why are you trying to prevent the damage of tickets.

Surely the best way would be to prevent getting one in the first place?

It's like trying to cure aids by getting fucked in the arse.
Even if you find a cure - you got fucked in the arse first.

Banditbandit
11th February 2011, 11:51
Proof that biking is being taken over by the middle-aged middle/upper class.

Stick it to the man!

Bullshit !!! I might be middle aged but I'm not fucken middle class ... just older and wiser ... and more aware of how my bullshit impacts on others ... Legal aid to fight speeding and parking tickets is fucken crazy shit ... and why our taxes are not going down ..

What's your excuse ?

Usarka
11th February 2011, 12:12
Bullshit !!! I might be middle aged but I'm not fucken middle class ... just older and wiser ... and more aware of how my bullshit impacts on others ... Legal aid to fight speeding and parking tickets is fucken crazy shit ... and why our taxes are not going down ..

What's your excuse ?

Brain injury.

And take a deep breath because if you read the OP he only mentioned using legal aid for a theft charge, nothing said about legal aid for the speeding and parking.

Beating a theft charge is quite a valid use of legal aid in my opinion (especially if he was innocent which we don't know, but as it was a wheel clamp I'm ok with it either way). So on face value good on him.

Meh this is how mentals see the world :eek:

Banditbandit
11th February 2011, 13:30
Brain injury.

And take a deep breath because if you read the OP he only mentioned using legal aid for a theft charge, nothing said about legal aid for the speeding and parking.

Beating a theft charge is quite a valid use of legal aid in my opinion (especially if he was innocent which we don't know, but as it was a wheel clamp I'm ok with it either way). So on face value good on him.

Meh this is how mentals see the world :eek:

Naa .. fuck it .. it's Friday afternoon and I can be as big a troll as I like ... I'll chill out about 30 seconds after the THC hits the system later tonight ...

Max Preload
11th February 2011, 14:01
And I agree with Reggie - we're funding his game ...I'm happy to do that - it's not a game - it's justice. It sure as fuck beats the hell out of funding the underclass to breed too.

gammaguy
11th February 2011, 14:07

What's your excuse ?

and how loudly would people yell if legal aid was not available for people to defend that "totally unfair"speeding ticket,just because there was a law preventing legal aid for traffic cases?

If you have a legal aid system,it must be available to all or its a waste of time having it

if the govt.cant afford the system,maybe it should be cancellled entirely?

i somehow doubt thats gonna happen...

reggie1198
12th February 2011, 00:12
Im quite happy for some of my money to go towards fighting scams & he should be teaching his kid NOT to be scammed I would, also its the Govt, P.I.G.s, legal system & REAL criminals that are sucking all good out of this country by the sounds of it he's trying to put some good back in it by fighting these scams. :yes:

sorry mate, but being caught once, possibly a scam, twice - kinda unlikely, three times and you've got to think "maybe it's me"

Either that or he is the unluckiest road user in N.Z.

I'm just sick of hearing about waste of space ball bags trying any and every thing to get off a ticket/fine that in their opinion was wrong. Using legal aid is just the icing on the cake (which was stolen from the bakery down the road - aledgeadly)

riffer
12th February 2011, 09:51
Well, I call bullshit on all the people bagging him.

People are stating "do the crime, do the time." Well guys, news flash - speed is not a criminal offence, neither is parking.

They are infringements only, not crimes.

I fully agree that this petty bullshit like giving speeding tickets for a few kms over should be challenged to the utmost. If they want to "come down hard on speeders" then let them get their house COMPLETELY in order.

Otherwise, the rampant bureaucratic nonsense and spin "to save us from ourselves" will continue.

Indoo
12th February 2011, 10:44
But what he's doing just contributes to the bureaucratic nonsense and will just result in furthermore rules, regulations, petty officiousness and any remaining resemblance of human discretion being removed from the system. It also justifies the employment of more anally retentive bureaucrats to tighten up every little loophole, wasting even more of our money and god help anyone with an actual grievance or injustice....

Max Preload
12th February 2011, 13:53
But what he's doing just contributes to the bureaucratic nonsense and will just result in furthermore rules, regulations, petty officiousness and any remaining resemblance of human discretion being removed from the system. It also justifies the employment of more anally retentive bureaucrats to tighten up every little loophole, wasting even more of our money and god help anyone with an actual grievance or injustice....
So you're of the school of belief that says we should be meek and do nothing, keep our heads down and they'll leave us alone, not increase penalties and tighten loopholes? We shouldn't exploit loopholes while we can? Good luck with THAT!:rofl:

Jantar
12th February 2011, 14:00
]
Couldn't agree more. It's our money he's playing with here for his own gain. Ya speed ya pay. Simple really.

Yep,if you do the crime,you gotta pay!!

The OP may be able to dodge these but eventually the Laws of Karma are going to catch up with him and he may well just pay in another way:facepalm:

The OP said he is fighting the tickets, he didn't say he was guilty. There appears to be a concensus on here that merely getting a ticket is proof of guilt. I hope none of you ever get asked to serve on a jury.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Ocean1
12th February 2011, 15:21
What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

For criminal cases: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1990/0109/latest/DLM225527.html

Those rights don't exist for council and traffic infringements. Don't believe you can count on the assumption of innocence for protection in non-criminal legal dealings with those entities either.

Jantar
12th February 2011, 15:34
For criminal cases: .....
I wasn't talking about in court, I meant here on this forum.

Ocean1
12th February 2011, 15:39
I wasn't talking about in court, I meant here on this forum.

Have you seen any behaviour even vaguely resembling due process here before now?

ynot slow
13th February 2011, 08:23
Much like on teletext today,a pipe master for Hastings(I think)pipe group couldn't give a breath test due to years playing pipes,the judge agreed with his thoughts,and reduced sentancing,but then why wasn't book chucked at 65yr old for failing to give blood sample,which was a charge.

I can't see the rationale of trying to outwit system at my cost for a speeding infringement (if say 5km over attitude of speeder to cop,has a lot to do if getting ticket)for 20km over,sure we all get pissed at being caught,but we know we are in territory of fine if caught come what may.

As for parking tickets I had one which was sent to court went from $12 - $70,because I never recieved the invoice,the window ticket wasn't present upon returning to car,the reminder never came etc.Rang council to ask a few questions,got fobbed off by "it's out of our hands as now justice dept"but lady did ring back to say copy was sent to xyz street,which we had shifted from 4 months earlier,checking land transport had my rego address correct from day or two after shift,seems a glitch,wrote letter and phoned fines dept and they said we'll take the court costs off if I could prove address was changed etc.And I knew I had over stayed meter and accepted the ticket for that.