PDA

View Full Version : Restricted to Full course. Not CBTA

Devil
21st June 2005, 15:20
Hiya, I've had my restricted long enough now to do a course to knock 6 months off the required period. Can anyone recommend a good course to do in AKL? Pref shore, but if I need to travel...

Advance riding would be best. Due to a previous incident, I have completed a Defensive Driving course and dont really want to pay to be that bored again.

T.I.A.

Jonty
21st June 2005, 15:55
Hiya, I've had my restricted long enough now to do a course to knock 6 months off the required period. Can anyone recommend a good course to do in AKL? Pref shore, but if I need to travel...

Advance riding would be best. Due to a previous incident, I have completed a Defensive Driving course and dont really want to pay to be that bored again.

T.I.A.

Where you required to do the defensive drivng course?? If so you may not get an exemption to do the course. I know I am signed up for the Welly couse and it says that if I have a bad driving record (or get one) it may effect (yes they used "effect") my chances of getting my full after the course.

This may be different of course if not a CBTA course, not to sure.

Devil
21st June 2005, 16:01
Where you required to do the defensive drivng course?? If so you may not get an exemption to do the course. I know I am signed up for the Welly couse and it says that if I have a bad driving record (or get one) it may effect (yes they used "effect") my chances of getting my full after the course.

This may be different of course if not a CBTA course, not to sure.
Yeah, im talking about non CBTA courses for exactly that reason (although I havent actually bothered checking... maybe I should).
Defensive course was kind of voluntary. uhm. kind of. uhh yeah.

Hey! Look over there!

Devil
21st June 2005, 16:07
While im here, anyone here have anything to do with the CBTA courses? Administratively?

placidfemme
21st June 2005, 16:25
Hey I'm not sure if this will help or not (I don't know what CBTA is).

I know that Pass Right (Rite) who do driver training do advanced rider courses that can reduce your waiting time for your full license... You could always look them up in the phone book and see when they are doing their next course... I also heard they were $200+

Hope that helps

Jonty
21st June 2005, 16:29
Yeah, im talking about non CBTA courses for exactly that reason (although I havent actually bothered checking... maybe I should).
Defensive course was kind of voluntary. uhm. kind of. uhh yeah.

Hey! Look over there!

Devil, from memory the letter only says it may affect you ability to shorten the license, but if you are up front at the start and behave yourself for the remaining time it would suprize me if they didn't consider you. Give the LTSA a call, they are the ones that approve you.

2_SL0
21st June 2005, 18:44
Ive done the CBTA course, my understanding was that it may effect you being accepted for the course. YOU must keep your nose clean once you have been accepted on the course until you have your licence. Once you have it they cant take it away. (Unless for the obvious normal reasons.)

Gremlin
22nd June 2005, 16:11
I spoke to John Wright about this, you have to have had your restricted at least six months before even applying (which you have).

Apparently it is a completely theory course (stupid huh?) which is supposedly done over two Saturday mornings at colleges near you.

Problem is, I canna remember how to contact whoever, might pay to phone LTNZ, and if you can get through their menu system you might get an answer.

You could also randomly phone John Wright as well :whistle:

MrMelon
22nd June 2005, 16:21
Ive done the CBTA course, my understanding was that it may effect you being accepted for the course. YOU must keep your nose clean once you have been accepted on the course until you have your licence. Once you have it they cant take it away. (Unless for the obvious normal reasons.)
When I did the CBTA course they said you had to stay ticket free for a year after it or they could kick you back to your restricted, but they didn't do anything when I got a ticket a couple of months after doing the course. Maybe it was just scaremongering.

sAsLEX
22nd June 2005, 16:27
You could also randomly phone John Wright as well :whistle:

or you could pop in to your local AA and stand in line for half an hour and for the fifth time in a row of visiting the store be greeted by the same sorry excuse for a NZ'er who even working in a service industry has next to no english " me ro understand what is talking you about?"

Keen to find out to as my time is up to do the 6 month reduction and the full license test as well. Just need some 250 stickers!!! pt

Gazzar
22nd June 2005, 22:05
I did the passrite about a month ago and passed after only haveing my restricted for 3 weeks.
The CBTA cost me $280.00 and i used one of there bikes and that cost $70.00 its a bit dear but now i am sweet to ride my bike and its got Classic Cover on it now
good luck :2thumbsup

Devil
23rd June 2005, 09:46
I did the passrite about a month ago and passed after only haveing my restricted for 3 weeks.
The CBTA cost me $280.00 and i used one of there bikes and that cost $70.00 its a bit dear but now i am sweet to ride my bike and its got Classic Cover on it now
good luck :2thumbsup
Unfortunately some of us are under 25 :motu:
:D

Lias
23rd June 2005, 09:52
Just to get my 2 cents in.

I'm over 25, and just sat my restricted the normal way. I believe if I do a course (not CBTA) I can sit my full in 3 months, is that passrite course the right course for this?

sAsLEX
23rd June 2005, 11:10
Restricted to Full course. Not CBTA

Hiya, I've had my restricted long enough now to do a course to knock 6 months off the required period.

to get this thread back on track, this was initialy NOT about CBTA but the courses that can be done after holding a restricted for 6 months to reduce the total time from 18 months to 12 months.