PDA

View Full Version : Things I learnt from the BRONZ course (the riders cut)

Reno
21st June 2005, 16:39
Hi all,

For those those of you at the BRONZ course last Sunday or have heard about it, I was the rider involved in the wee incident.

The exercise we were doing was evasion, we had just done some counter steering runs to learn how to countersteer and now putting it into practical situation. We were told to ride towards an instructor and at a specified distance were given a direction left or right to which way to go to evade the object infront of us.

We had all gone through once and now it was my turn again for the final run. So off I went towards Lars, our instructor, I cut in front of our group to line myself up with the cones, through to second gear, backed off the throttle and got myself ready for the arm to come out to tell me which way to go. From this moment my selective memory kicks in, I can remember Lars' hand going out to my left and seeing his face. The next thing I'm rolling on the deck, my bike about 5 metres away on its side and Lars about 15 metres away on the ground behind me.

A person, who I think was justsomeguy, came running towards me saying something but I don't really remember. I lay myself down and two people came over to remove my helmet, again don't remember who they were. Then came Jill, who was a nurse, who checked me over and stabilised my neck and reassured and comforted me. Thank you for all you did, I had a sharp pain in my lower back and was thinking the worst, you saw that and you stayed and comforted me, thank you.

To cut a long story short, Lars and I were taken to North Shore Hospital. I was discharged around 7:30pm with only muscle soreness in my lower back but Lars came off a lot worse. From what I remember, he had a good imprint of my front tire on his left shin, bruised and cut left wrist and forearm, brusing to his left hip and a large bump to the back of the head. If you are reading this Lars, I don't know how to begin to appologise to you and your wife, and if you don't mind i'll be coming over for a visit when I'm allowed to get behind the wheel of a car. And I have now learnt, by your expense, that the bike goes where my eyes are looking.

Now the aim of this thread, what I learnt from this whole experience:

1) Where ever my eyes go the bike will follow and not to focus on the hazards ahead,

2) Always, always wear protective clothing,

3) Last but not least, things can happen, even in a controlled environment like a riding school, and to be accountable for my actions. I screwed up, I've accepted that and now I have to do my best learn from it and fix what I can. I will always be in debt to Lars and his family and all those who helped me.

From what I can remember, here's a list of people i'd like to thank: Lars and his family, Finn, Peggy, Tracey, Jill, justsomeguy, the firemen at Whenuapai, the ambo officers, E.D. staff at North Shore hospital and all those involved whom i can't remember.

If this has made no sense, I'll probably add to it later on as I ween myself off the painkillers.

As for the bike: I had a quick look the other day, I'll need new left peg and front fairing, probably a new tank, don't know about the forks and bars, the bike started so hopefuly no mechanical damage. Luckily I didn't pay much for it.

To end, when I've recovered and cleared to drive a motor vehicle, I'd like to organise a get together to say thanks to everyone. Keep you all posted.

White trash
21st June 2005, 16:44
Holy shit! When safe days go bad.

Glad your injuries are relatively minor and I'm sure you'll be forgiven by the instructor.

placidfemme
21st June 2005, 16:46
Hey Reno glad to hear your ok :)

Sam (on the FXR) sends her regards... and I believe the name you are looking for was Jill (the nurse riding the red or silver 250)

MikeL
21st June 2005, 16:48
Hey Reno
FWIW when I did that course that particular manoeuvre was one of the two scariest things I ever did (the other was doing a panic stop using only the rear brake).

These things happen. Don't beat yourself up too much about it. It could have been a lot worse. I'd be surprised if Lars holds any grudge.

Hope you are both well and mobile again soon.

bugjuice
21st June 2005, 16:51
glad you're ok.. Wonder if the instructor is going to rethink his techniques? may be a set of lights with a left and right arrow might be better than putting himself in the middle..

Glad to hear you're coming right. Take it easy for a bit, and just make it one step back at a time..

John
21st June 2005, 16:55
Well I bet you learned alot!, the instructor will be happy that you learned that if not nothing else, he sounds like a good bloke - still popping around and dropping off some choccies and beer is always a humble thing to do (beer and chocolate is recovery food for bikers, trust me :D)

But dont worry these things happen, I'm sure it wasnt the first time - take care and tell us how the instructor is, good on you for doing the honourable thing though.

White trash
21st June 2005, 16:55
This is why I never stand in front of people while they practice wheelies.....

Reno
21st June 2005, 16:56
Hey Reno glad to hear your ok :)

Sam (on the FXR) sends her regards... and I believe the name you are looking for was Jill (the nurse riding the red or silver 250)

Cheers,

It all comes flooding back.

Thanks again Jill :yes:

bugjuice
21st June 2005, 16:59
ya thunk?
shame, cos I was hopin you'd see how high I've been getting lately.. you don't want to do that?

crashe
21st June 2005, 17:01
Reno - good to hear you are ok...

I have to admit, that part is not nice.... when at the last second they put their arm out.... I too didn't like it when I did the course a few years back.

I hope Lars is doing ok as well.

Thanks for your great write up of the days events.

BNZ
21st June 2005, 17:04

Im concerned that that you have actually needed to think about a reason why not to stand in front of someone practising wheelies. :weird:

sAsLEX
21st June 2005, 17:05
glad neither of you were hurt too bad, but yeah maybe some lights would be a better idea, had some at the Holden driving course i did, meant the instructor could leave the lights till rather late!

pyrocam
21st June 2005, 17:08
Man, Im so glad your ok and back on KB, I was there when it happened and was rather shocked by it. Good on ya for posting about it.

again I am really glad to hear your back up mate. congrats for posting it. the rest of the story as I hear it (from several sources as I missed the actuall impact)
yeah they moved it back 10feet or something so we could get more speed, you went up, everything was sweet, now someone said that lars hesitated but im not sure. someone else said you might have been to the right a wee bit,
from what I gather, you were more on the right, lars indicated left, you went right a bit then attempted to correct only too late, lars tried to jump but of course the famous 'you go where you look' thing came into play. I didnt see that part but I did see Lars rolling to the left and you sliding to the right a bit. I yelled an expletive and 2 bikers took off to the rescue and one person ran over. we sat around in shock for a while then had coffee and bailed, course was rescheduled.

really bad quality pics:
http://www.pyrocam.orcon.net.nz/KB/Image104.jpg http://www.pyrocam.orcon.net.nz/KB/Image105.jpg http://www.pyrocam.orcon.net.nz/KB/Image106.jpg

Reno
21st June 2005, 17:24
yeah they moved it back 10feet or something so we could get more speed, you went up, everything was sweet, now someone said that lars hesitated but im not sure. someone else said you might have been to the right a wee bit,
from what I gather, you were more on the right, lars indicated left, you went right a bit then attempted to correct only too late, lars tried to jump but of course the famous 'you go where you look' thing came into play. I didnt see that part but I did see Lars rolling to the left and you sliding to the right a bit. I yelled an expletive and 2 bikers took off to the rescue and one person ran over. we sat around in shock for a while then had coffee and bailed, course was rescheduled.

i guess a combination of things amalgamated to form the incident, the main thing is no one was seriously injured. cheers for the pics, here's hoping the bike is ready for the next course.

SPman
21st June 2005, 17:58
Glad to hear you're not too seriously damaged. And Lars as well.
When I heard the first report, I thought it would be in this exercise - musta been why Finn used to always seem light on his feet, when he was doing the pointing....

DingDong
21st June 2005, 18:09
glad you're ok.. Wonder if the instructor is going to rethink his techniques?

He is a man of too much faith... not your fault dude, the instructor is more than likely kicking himself over the incident, get back on that bike and attend the coarse again :Punk: I sure he'll be glad to see you.

2_SL0
21st June 2005, 18:38
Proof that accidents dont just happen on KB rides. ( Technically speaking though
was this a KB organised Bronz course, just kidding) Glad to see your up and well. More than likely a little damaged pride, but thats a good thing. Keeps your ego in check. Always works for me. Sometimes Im as lucky as you and have a studio audience. Those are the worst small offs.

Matt Bleck
21st June 2005, 18:38
Bugga, But I bet you don't make that mistake again aye.

Hope it doesn't put ya off riding, and thanks of the rite up!

pyrocam
21st June 2005, 19:54
I did email peggy (the only email addy I had) about building them up something. I was just thinking of an small cheap LED array with either a remote control or even better a motion sensor from those security lights, make it outa plastic and junk so if someone hits it they dont hurt themselves etc.

Sparky
21st June 2005, 21:27
Mate am I glad to see your post!!! Been worried ever since I saw it happen ( not a nice thing to watch ) glad to see you're not tooooo badly hurt. And the same for Lars.
Just hoping both of you will be getting over it soon.
All the best for now

Zapf
21st June 2005, 23:00
ouch.... been there done the same course.... glad you didn't learnt your target fixation on something worse like car / truck.

I think perhaps you can donate a ramp for the instructor to hide behind next time.... :)

I feel for the poor instructor....

johnny
22nd June 2005, 00:25
Hey Reno

Glad to see your post..that means you are getting better!!

these things do happen as long as we all learn from it and be a better biker so we dont end up killing ourself, right?? Luckly Jill was there to check both of you and Lars. Wish Lars is recovering well!!

Hope to see you happy riding again.

MadDuck
22nd June 2005, 20:16
Glad to hear you're not too seriously damaged. And Lars as well.
When I heard the first report, I thought it would be in this exercise - musta been why Finn used to always seem light on his feet, when he was doing the pointing....

LMAO Its just that Finn got wise and had someone else do this particular part of the course.

When I did it last year I asked Lars how fast he can move should my reaction be slow...he laughed. He must be getting old(er)

Glad to hear both Reno and Lars doing ok.

justsomeguy
25th June 2005, 10:32
Oh - missed this thread.... good to see it's all getting better.

Sorry bout what happened Reno....crashing is a real nuisance innit??:oi-grr:

Hope to catch you round sometime:yes:

Till then have some :drinkup: and just relax........

Zed
25th June 2005, 19:59
To cut a long story short, Lars and I were taken to North Shore Hospital. I was discharged around 7:30pm with only muscle soreness in my lower back...

Now the aim of this thread, what I learnt from this whole experience:I'm glad you weren't more seriously injured Reno! I hope both you and Lars recover quickly. :niceone:

Just shows that accidents can happen anywhere, even in such a 'controlled' environment!