PDA

View Full Version : Computer error message HELP

Quasievil
21st June 2005, 19:30
Im trying to load a few games for the kids, the current one has come up with an error message saying this,

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not suitable for running MS.DOS and microsoft Windows applications choose close to terminate the application.

Can anyone help, Im getting this a bit.

The computer is new and flash running XP

crashe
21st June 2005, 19:36
Well I'm not comp lit....
but is the game actually set up to run on XP...
is it an older game or a new game?

Maybe also try uninstall it and re install it again....

DingDong
21st June 2005, 19:37
The games are too old... shit they must be really old! you can hire games like flightsim and fully install it to play without the disk... a free game ($7) buy Netguide mag ($4.50) and get acouple of game demos per month.

2_SL0
21st June 2005, 19:40
Xp. old games, dont go together well.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx

Quasievil
21st June 2005, 19:40
well yeah maybe 5 years old, why should that be a problem ? cant I adjust something ?

2_SL0
21st June 2005, 19:42
Try the above link.

Ixion
21st June 2005, 19:42
Sorry mate . They're too old.

Windows 95 and 98 could run in DOS mode. XP can't

However , there in one thing you can try. Works about 50% of the time

Right click on the program icon, or the entry in the Programs list.

Select Properties.Click the compatibility tab. Click windows 95. Click OK. Try now

Works about half the time'

There are special progrmas like DosBox that you can get to try to fool the operating system, but they're usually dubious at best (runs, but not very well, crashs etc). And setting them up is tricky.

Time to buy some new ones ?

pyrocam
21st June 2005, 19:43
yeah man no probs
whats the game called?

most likely, the easiest way to do it is to run a Dos emulator. like DOS BOX

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

it runs an emulated version of DOS so you can play old games. PM or other contact details like icq or msn me for more info help.

cheers

Quasievil
21st June 2005, 19:46
the game is called

Delta Force 2

came out a while ago

TwoSeven
21st June 2005, 19:47
You have windows xp service pack 2. The 16bit windows subsystem has been disabled/removed as part of the service pack. Your game is ms-dos/win95/win96 (16 bit windows). The file autoexec.nt is required to be valid for 16 bit windows applications to run.

If the file is missing copy it from your windows repair directory into the system32 directory (dont cut n paste - copy n paste). If the file is actually in your system32 its likely to be corruped (and will be locked, so copy wont work).

Reboot machine.

Its likely you will incounter other problems getting the games to work (ie. sound/video) but worth a shot.

bugjuice
21st June 2005, 19:54
have you tried........... buyin a mac?

Quasievil
21st June 2005, 20:02
ARRR fuck it i got delta force 3, 4 and 5 will run them

Thanks heaps guys and girls

speedpro
21st June 2005, 20:13
I run a really old DOS comms programme when doing maintenance on some VoiceMail systems. To run it on my XP Home (SP2) system I just click Start, then Run and then type command. It comes up with a DOS window and I type in the neccessary commands to start and run the comms programme.

I type exit at the command prompt to get back to Windows. Alt-Enter it goes full screen. Alt-Enter toggles it back.

FlyingDutchMan
21st June 2005, 20:42
I've got an old computer lying round justy for the purpose of playing old games. Boots to win95 if I want it too and plays any dos game you'd want to... all 2 of them :rofl: . Seriously though I've found it the best way round the problem.

Grizz
21st June 2005, 21:14
Yo Quasi,

I had this problem too, ages ago though, and I can't recall excatly what I did, but I am sure that it was something along the lines of what is the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

TwoSeven
21st June 2005, 21:24
The command window isnt dos. Its the win32 command interpreter. Different program.

Teflon
21st June 2005, 21:27
Another solution is, dual-boot XP and Windows 98.

StoneChucker
21st June 2005, 21:42
Ahh, I've got these on disk, but they don't play properly anymore :oi-grr:

Rise Of The Triad
Day Of The Tentacle
Doom, Doom 2
Heretic
Hexen
Duke Nukem
Arena (The Elder Scrolls)

Think I've even got California Games 1 somewhere.??? The CD's probably disintegrated by now.

Jeremy
21st June 2005, 22:45
I can get those to work, (except for Arena as I don't have that).

Here's the tricks that you often need to use:

Windows is probably working fine, patch the game first.

If it runs in Dos and it's an older dos game (286) it'll probably run on Dosbox. The games that Dosbox doesn't like are newer dos games (486 DX4 games).

Getting the sound working can be a real bitch. You might never get the soundcard option working, (unless you currently have a soundblaster). However the General Midi option for music will nearly always work. Some games have "microsoft sound" as a soundcard driver. This works sometimes, no idea why though. Might be a really old version of DX.

Setting up a small partition for Win98 is a posibility however it's probably easier to get an old K6-2, chuck in a sb16 (or any other soundblaster) and install Win98SE on it as a second computer.

phaedrus
22nd June 2005, 01:20
Ahh, I've got these on disk, but they don't play properly anymore :oi-grr:

Rise Of The Triad
Day Of The Tentacle
Doom, Doom 2
Heretic
Hexen
Duke Nukem
Arena (The Elder Scrolls)

Think I've even got California Games 1 somewhere.??? The CD's probably disintegrated by now.
you might want to try "scummvm" as a replacement game engine for day of the tentacle.
http://www.scummvm.org/
and http://legacy.newdoom.com should get your doom, doom2, heretic and hexen going (in windows and with tcp/ip networking)
[edit]
ok, i should read more before posting. the doom prog won't run hexen

Gremlin
22nd June 2005, 16:41
I run a really old DOS comms programme when doing maintenance on some VoiceMail systems. To run it on my XP Home (SP2) system I just click Start, then Run and then type command. It comes up with a DOS window and I type in the neccessary commands to start and run the comms programme.

I type exit at the command prompt to get back to Windows. Alt-Enter it goes full screen. Alt-Enter toggles it back.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It doesn't work anymore I got the same error as quasi, hope you don't have SP2... pic attached

DingDong
22nd June 2005, 17:36
ARRR fuck it i got delta force 3, 4 and 5 will run them

Thanks heaps guys and girls

Thats the key... I've got BF veitnam cracked and Doom3 too if you get my drift :yes: everything eventually becomes FREE :Punk:

Zed
22nd June 2005, 17:49
Im trying to load a few games for the kids, the current one has come up with an error message saying this,

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not suitable for running MS.DOS and microsoft Windows applications choose close to terminate the application.

Can anyone help, Im getting this a bit.

The computer is new and flash running XPJust spend 10,000 dollars and become a computer *geek* why don't ya Quasi!? You can do it man. :no:

pyrocam
22nd June 2005, 19:12
Just spend 10,000 dollars and become a computer *geek* why don't ya Quasi!? You can do it man. :no:
or even better. hire a professional geek (IE: Myself) to do it for you.
ill give you a KB discount. only charge you half that

aff-man
22nd June 2005, 19:18
the game is called

Delta Force 2

came out a while ago

Delts force had a heap of problems but i found xp don't like some of them games

pyrocam
22nd June 2005, 19:36
Delts force had a heap of problems but i found xp don't like some of them games

I downloaded the demo for delta force 2. just to test it out. worked fine although who would WANT to get that working

I could ask you to upload the contents of autoexec.nt here for us 'geeky types' to have a look at.
(c:\autoexec.nt open in notepad)

but most likely, its not going to be super easy, and my previous post about dosbox. dont even bother trying it

cheers

Jeremy
22nd June 2005, 20:00
Aha, had a quick check on google and found the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Config.nt and Autoexec.nt are both text files.

Config.nt should have:

dos=high, umb
device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

Autoexec.nt

@echo off
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

Place them in system32 and away you go.