PDA

View Full Version : New guy! (trick213)

trick213
16th February 2011, 20:51
Hi all!

Thought i might aswell sign up, i heard this site is the business! New to the bike scene but been admiring bikes since i was a youngin! My father in law does rider training down in hamilton so thought now would be a good time to start!

anywho i just brought my very first bike last week! yay....93 zxr 250c - got it pretty cheap as it had been in a minor crash(cracked headlight, scrapped up fairings), but soon realized that parts for these models arent the easiest to source,arrrghh....found a front headlight via bikerbargainz though -

please excuse my lack of bike knowledge but i was looking at the front forks today and realized that the bottom part of the front fork that bolts on to the rim has a crack in it - im pretty gutted because i thort i had it all sussed for the warrent!

could someone tell me what this part is called and maybe where i could get 1.

oh one more thing - can anyone recomend a good place to sit my BHS lol was gunna do it on sat couldnt find anywhere close - im in east auckland

Cheers :D

Sonny

sil3nt
17th February 2011, 10:28
My knowledge of Auckland is shit but i have driven up there twice to do the training at http://www.riderskills.co.nz/ (once for me once at Te Atatu and one for the gf at Mt Albert).

CatTheBrat
17th February 2011, 11:25
Yeah I just did my BHS through RiderSkills a few weeks ago, they're really good. Very patient lol :yes:

crazyhorse
17th February 2011, 11:45
Welcome to KB Sonny :yes:

EJK
17th February 2011, 12:21
Welcome to the awesome KiwiBiker forum - the home of experts and geniuses.

You'll find all the answers to all your questions. Just fire away.

Bald Eagle
17th February 2011, 12:25
Welcome , and some of the answers will actually be the right ones.

macros87
17th February 2011, 12:30
Hi all!

Thort i might aswell sign up, i heard this site is the business! New to the bike seen but been admiring bikes since i was a youngin! My fathr in law does rider training down in hamilton so thort now would be a good time to start!

anywho i just brought my very first bike last week! yay....93 zxr 250c - got it pretty cheap as it had been in a minor crash(cracked headlight, scrapped up fairings), but soon realized that parts for these models arent the easiest to source,arrrghh....found a front headlight via bikerbargainz tho -

please excuse my lack of bike knowledge but i was looking at the front forks today and realized that the bottom part of the front forks that bolts on to the rim has a crack in it - im pretty gutted because i thort i had it all sussed for the warrent!

could someone tell me what this part is called and maybe where i could get 1.

oh one more thing - can anyone recomend a good place to sit my BHS lol was gunna do it on sat couldnt find anywea close - im in east auckland

Cheers :D

Sonny

I did it with Riderskills in Te Atatu which was great but its kinda far from east Auckland. on the subject of parts, I think you mean the triple clamp? and I have a zxr A and I am not sure if the triple clamps are the same but if they are I have this wrecker guy from Christchurch who emails back quickly and has great costumer service skills does bike wrecking part time (has a day job) and he just got 3 zxr 250s but i think they might all be A models still might pay to send him an email, he has this auction on trade me http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Other/auction-354169819.htm or give him an email on simon.christine@paradise.net.nz.

trick213
17th February 2011, 19:54
thanks guys, ill give riderskills a buzz!

as for the part i was having trouble naming, i have emailed the guy in ChCh, cheers for that.

just added a pic and circled the part which has a crack in it, would i be better off buying the whole fork itself or just the clamp?

patarch
17th February 2011, 20:14
im no mechanic but im thinking whole fork would be easier to get, rather than pulling that fork apart and putting a new end on it. that guy in christchurch is more the one you should be talking to though

The Everlasting
18th February 2011, 20:15
Yeah for your BHS try Riderskills,or Ridertraining,they have links all over the site.

Both are very good.

baptist
19th February 2011, 22:41
My knowledge of Auckland is shit but i have driven up there twice to do the training at http://www.riderskills.co.nz/ (once for me once at Te Atatu and one for the gf at Mt Albert).

+1 for Phil, I did mine with him.... if he has the patience to put up with me, well he must be good :innocent:

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 00:06
Welcome and have fun

Well you appear to have learnt one of the most important lessons "if you don't know, ask!" and this is a great place to ask. Though the range of answers may confuse :facepalm:

For your bike, can you get it to a Kawasaki dealer and get a quote? It may be worth it in the long run if you have limited mechanical experience. Bit more expensive but consider this, when you are cornering, braking, avoiding that tosser that's just pulled out in front of you there are two things keeping you from a lunchtime appointment with Jesus. Your tyres and your shocks.

Ride safe

patarch
20th February 2011, 21:21
there is a guy in remuera who does the bhs mate. I've got an email from him at work so i put his details up tomorrow

patarch
21st February 2011, 09:32
his name is chris and his email is rideit@safelearner.net. has a few bike you can use for the tests and that too

Henk
21st February 2011, 17:50
I can't see a crack in the fork in the photo, could be image quality, but at a guess you are takiling about the slot at the bottom of the fork, if that's the case it is supposed to be there so that you can do up the (probably 2 capscrews) that pinch the whole thing tight once you have the axle in and alighned.

crazyhorse
21st February 2011, 20:25
Congrats on the bike :yes:

sugilite
21st February 2011, 20:42
+1 on Henks comment.
Welcome BTW :yes:

trick213
22nd February 2011, 15:21
I can't see a crack in the fork in the photo, could be image quality, but at a guess you are takiling about the slot at the bottom of the fork, if that's the case it is supposed to be there so that you can do up the (probably 2 capscrews) that pinch the whole thing tight once you have the axle in and alighned.

The photo was just an example off the net, my one is pretty much cracked lol..still ride it, though not the best of ideas i guess...finding it hard to track down a front fork!! might have to just go to a kawasaki dealer.

i spotted a mint zxr250c on the way hme today, sitting outside botany honda...low kmz, kawasaki green...gees it was mint! so if all else fails il sell mine an buy that one lol

thanks for the suggestions on where to do my BHS test, going for my tonight with ridertraining in mt welly! cant wait to get it over and done with

Fatt Max
22nd February 2011, 18:42
Yeah for your BHS try Riderskills,or Ridertraining,they have links all over the site.

Both are very good.

+1 to that, good luck mate