PDA

View Full Version : Boss forced to sell home for thief's payout

mashman
17th February 2011, 08:10
WTF... gotta feel for the boss (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110216/tod-boss-forced-to-sell-home-for-thief-s-870a197.html)

bogan
17th February 2011, 08:15
so the thief gets a soggy bus ticket punishment, and the guy trying to provide real punishment (and a very restrained sort too) loses his house. :facepalm:

oneofsix
17th February 2011, 08:16
WTF... gotta feel for the boss (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110216/tod-boss-forced-to-sell-home-for-thief-s-870a197.html)

The boss should counter sue for betray of trust and stress.
Agreed you have to feel for the boss. I would say he should have gone to court but the lawyer fees would have cost him more. :sick:

Swoop
17th February 2011, 08:19
Bring back the Town Hall stocks!

Shame the fuckers!

nighthawk
17th February 2011, 08:23
The old saying " the law is an ass" rings true in this case, unfortunately this is more common than people realise.:blink:

Employee theft has sent a number of good small business' to the wall in my experience.

martybabe
17th February 2011, 08:38
Very common in the UK, case law is littered with these kinds of issues where the perpetrator (scumbag) gets away scot free whilst the victim (innocent) gets royally shafted.

Defending and protecting what's yours has become more of a criminal act than the criminal act.

mashman
17th February 2011, 09:16
The boss should counter sue for betray of trust and stress.
Agreed you have to feel for the boss. I would say he should have gone to court but the lawyer fees would have cost him more. :sick:

I'm assuming he did as he had 30,000 pounds of legal fees and had to pay 5k compensation... 30k legal fees, fackin hell, and the advice, settle out of court :shit:... I understand people are stubborn, but the legal profession really don't give a shit as long as they have billable hours.

Defending and protecting what's yours has become more of a criminal act than the criminal act.

that says it all really.

oneofsix
17th February 2011, 09:31
I'm assuming he did as he had 30,000 pounds of legal fees and had to pay 5k compensation... 30k legal fees, fackin hell, and the advice, settle out of court :shit:... I understand people are stubborn, but the legal profession really don't give a shit as long as they have billable hours..

I thought that was the legal fees for settling out of court, crap knows what they would have been if he had have gone to court cause then you have the barrister as well as the solicitor to pay. If he had won he might have possibly got an order on the thief to pay his legal fees but would have still ended up homeless as you can bet the tealeaf would not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by martybabe

mashman
17th February 2011, 09:51
I thought that was the legal fees for settling out of court, crap knows what they would have been if he had have gone to court cause then you have the barrister as well as the solicitor to pay. If he had won he might have possibly got an order on the thief to pay his legal fees but would have still ended up homeless as you can bet the tealeaf would not pay.

heh, not sure, it just struck me as an obscene amount of money to have to pay for not going to court... and if that's what it costs to not go to court, like you say, I'm not surprised he settled... true :facepalm:, the tealeaf wouldn't pay... he'd have been better off going hard out and copping an assault charge...

oneofsix
17th February 2011, 09:56
heh, not sure, it just struck me as an obscene amount of money to have to pay for not going to court... and if that's what it costs to not go to court, like you say, I'm not surprised he settled... true :facepalm:, the tealeaf wouldn't pay... he'd have been better off going hard out and copping an assault charge...

Now you have me thinking. This is really ridiculous. By the time you take the pressure on the family etc from losing the home he could have topped the bastard, lived off the state for 10 or so years in one of their holiday camps and then started again, probably with state assistance.
i don't recommend or condone the above from me but it is getting to that stage. :sick:

mashman
17th February 2011, 10:02
:rofl:, you got me to wondering so it's all your fault :bleh:

Oscar
17th February 2011, 11:00
so the thief gets a soggy bus ticket punishment, and the guy trying to provide real punishment (and a very restrained sort too) loses his house. :facepalm:

Due process.
Day in court.
Judgement of your peers.
Sound familar?
If you can go around doing stuff like that, what's the point of having a judicial system? Bosses providing instant punishment for workers - a very slippery slope...

Reckless
17th February 2011, 11:09
hold on!!
He said his fees where $4000 for defending the case and their fees are $25,000 prosecuting him!

Fark off he's gettin ripped! Their legal fees should be similar to his surely? Tell them to go jump!

Thats aside from the injustice of the whole thing in the first place!!

Drunken Monkey
17th February 2011, 11:10
Due process.
Day in court.
Judgement of your peers.
Sound familar?
If you can go around doing stuff like that, what's the point of having a judicial system? Bosses providing instant punishment for workers - a very slippery slope...

Indeed. I suppose as an alternative one could either choose to use the due process, (whether one agrees with it or not) or make an arrangement with alleged thief to publicly humiliate instead of taking him to the local constabulary, thus keeping a clean record, but not both.

onearmedbandit
17th February 2011, 11:12
5000 in compensation.
4000 in his own legal costs.
The balance was entirely for the thief's legal costs...

Who'd he get legal advice from? The thief's lawyer?

Reckless
17th February 2011, 11:19
my mate owns a gas station or 2 and he pretty much bypasses the system to avoid all this crap!

He simply shows them the taped evidence and says you can leave of your own choice or I'll prosecute you and you'll have a record for theft for the rest of your life!

100% have chosen to voluntarily leave so far!
I suppose though, if you balance up the cost of a theft charge fine and what they'd get even after they had left his employment claiming for wrongful dismissal and hardship etc our system here is no better than the one posted!
He could still loose his shirt over it! Its bloody wrong, but its his method of not having to keep employing a thief!

bogan
17th February 2011, 11:29
Due process.
Day in court.
Judgement of your peers.
Sound familar?

we are already on a number of slippery slopes, lack of real punishments for criminals, and real punishments being dished out to those who take it upon themselves to protect their property etc.

In this case he came to no physical harm, and isn't the truth a good defense against defamation suits?

Paul in NZ
17th February 2011, 11:40
The reason the guy copped a big fine was he decided to take the law into his own hands and 'punish' the offender... The 'law' really tries to discourage this sort of free lance private enterprise competition.... It likes the monopoly it has thanks..

mashman
17th February 2011, 12:23
the guy would be sick if he met this guy (http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8857731/blue-chip-founder-will-be-arrested-if-he-returns-to-nz/)... :rofl: but with our trans-ta s trade agreements, he'll be able to invest in NZ from the safety of his own home...

oldrider
18th February 2011, 07:34

I thought crime paid but only in New Zealand, I forgot we follow British stupidity to the full!

To think this is the same country that used to deport people to the colonies for stealing scraps of bread to try to feed their kids!

Lawyers and their alter-ego "Judges" are part of the problem rather than the solution to this bullshit! :mad: (IMHO)

Camshaft
18th February 2011, 08:27
id expect this in nz but not in real countries

mashman
18th February 2011, 08:51
Lawyers and their alter-ego "Judges" are part of the problem rather than the solution to this bullshit! :mad: (IMHO)

it's not like they create, advise or tweak laws to suit themselves though is it :shifty: