PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Poll

Brains
22nd June 2005, 00:22
Just curious about KBer's thoughts and purchasing behaviours around aftermarket exhasuts.

Jantar
22nd June 2005, 00:42
Altough I have selected option 2, chances are at some stage I purchase an aftermarket system purely on price.

Waylander
22nd June 2005, 01:39
Have aftermarket. I don't think any bike I own will keep it's stock pipe/s for very long, and if I can make my own to go on I will.

N4CR
22nd June 2005, 02:06
I got a 'after market' sorta exhaust from a wreckers for cheap that was pretty quiet *with* a hole through the baffles. I de riveted it/pulled crap out and made it a hollow can. Haven't looked back since.

Cost me $70 :devil2:

onearmedbandit
22nd June 2005, 02:10
Yoshi Ti Tri-oval, love the note and looks.

Bonez
22nd June 2005, 06:29
I generally stick with OEM headers for as long as possible but replace the mufflers when rust/damage/wof failure forces me to replace them. Where I can, I'll replace with stainless offerings if available in OEM pattern or cheap Taiwanese Dunstall nock offs ($100 each), which last quite well if looked after.

placidfemme
22nd June 2005, 07:24
I've got an after market pipe on my bike... not sure what type as it was on the bike when I brought it... but I think its a Mazert (Masert??)

Motu
22nd June 2005, 07:33
Not many options for the likes of me - aftermarket means I make them myself,on my XLV750 I even made mufflers of my own design,I've got a Supertrapp on the XT and am not happy with the noise level,next I'll make my own ''quiet core''.The DT has a standard pipe and am happy enough with that,but am waiting for a ''fatty'' to land in my lap.I'd like to have a go at making my own expansion chamber one day,but will have to find a program to design it.

Fryin Finn
22nd June 2005, 07:50
Have a Pro Circuit pipe on the WR and a Cycleworks reverse cone on the SRX that is looking decidely second hand. The XJR is running stock and I'm not sure anything aftermarket would do the bike justice in the looks department.

White trash
22nd June 2005, 08:00
Two Borthers. Minter'n a mint thing.

Lou Girardin
22nd June 2005, 08:07
Stock cans are generally too quiet and too heavy.

Brains
22nd June 2005, 16:12
So what pipes do people prefer, currently looking at a Yoshi slipon myself.

bugjuice
22nd June 2005, 16:16
There's heaps of brands. Best bet is spend an afternoon surfin the web. Find the bike you have, and tests been carried out on it. Then find the right price bracket, and there's your can/pipes.. Probably the better way of doing it, over the name on it, cos you might not be getting best bang for your buck..

that's another thing - the bang.. some bikes can be a bit picky, so you might need an after market ECU like a Power Commander, so that you can change the engine conditions to stop it backfiring or running lean etc. Plus, gives you more power still. Often recommended, but some bikes run fine without..

sAsLEX
22nd June 2005, 16:17
i like the sound of akrapovic (http://www.akrapovic-ai.si/main/catalog/products-catalog.htm) , but they is pricey$$$

Jackrat
22nd June 2005, 17:15
When the Wisco kit goes in I'm going to need one,no choise there.
Would be a total waste to bore it,flow it,cam it,an keep the silly pipes that are on it now.
Their crap standard as it is.

DingDong
22nd June 2005, 17:23
So what pipes do people prefer, currently looking at a Yoshi slipon myself.
I dont prefer it but I got a full Yoshi system...

No pipes suck... they all blow :oi-grr:

Morepower
22nd June 2005, 22:23
You cant have a V Twin and stock pipes it justs not right

Grizz
22nd June 2005, 22:30
Have a stock pipe, but looking at replacing either the can or fitting a full system from Custom Chambers in East Tamaki. They fitted a can to my last bike (CBR400RR), what a difference, looked and sounded fantastic. :Punk:

zadok
23rd June 2005, 10:57
Couldn't vote as I don't fall in to those catagories. My bike is coming up 14 years young and 118,000km, and still the original exhaust. No problems with it so far. :ride:

vifferman
23rd June 2005, 11:04
You cant have a V Twin and stock pipes it justs not right
That's very true. :yes: It's probably true of all bikes, but especially the V-twins.

I have a Staintune on my bike, which is part of the reason I bought it, as I had a choice of a slightly-lower mileage bike of the same year with no 'extras', or this one, with the pretty paint, Satantune, and heated grips.
Although it adds perhaps as little as 2HP, it's not just that - it's the way it sounds (although there are ones that sound better), it requires no repacking (all stainless), has a removable restrictor (now two - stealth and 'not-so-stealthy'), and shows off the benefits of the single-sided swingarm. :yes:

JohnBoy
23rd June 2005, 12:43
ive got a race spec arrow system. awesome sound and styling, was only dissapionted on the build quality being a bit rough.