PDA

View Full Version : Violence in the workplace

yungatart
19th February 2011, 10:04
After 12 years in the same occupation, for the first time yesterday I was subject to violence.
I was kicked, punched in the stomach and had a chair thrown at me...which I was not quick enough to dodge, leaving a rather impressive multi coloured bruise on my thigh!
All this by a runty little out of control 13 year old.
It has left me battered, bruised and a little shaken, TBH.

I might ask for danger money now:blink:, as I am cetainly not paid enough to wear that kind of shit. I feel sorry for teachers who, in some schools, face this stuff every day.

In 7 years in my current school, I don't recall a staff member being assaulted. I wish I hadn't been the first!

ynot slow
19th February 2011, 10:09
Fark that SUCKS.

Sad sign of the times,first rule with kids teach them to respect their elders.Kids may not agree with what parents say and debate is fine,but packing a hissy fit and other shit aint.

And guarantee the parents if asked to come to work and listen and offer explaination for little crettins behaviour will shrug shoulders,grunt and say dunno nuttin we can do.

Gremlin
19th February 2011, 10:12
That's bloody horrible to hear!

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I sadly doubt the little bugger will receive a fitting punishment. :(

yungatart
19th February 2011, 10:30
That's bloody horrible to hear!

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I sadly doubt the little bugger will receive a fitting punishment. :(

He is suspended and has to appear before the board before he is allowed back at schoool. I doubt he will be back.
When Mumsy arrived to pick him up she gave him a big hug and sympathy...a lost cause, I'm afraid. If one of my kids had done anything like that, they would have received a kick up the arse...and that would be just for starters!!
Parents need to discipline their kids with natural/logical consequences for their actions. If that's not happening, there is no hope!

JimO
19th February 2011, 10:38
at my high school that kid would have got sodomised by the head master

spookytooth
19th February 2011, 10:40
This i could never understand.For punishment "he isnt alowed to go to school",if that was handed out when i was at school it would have been on to see who could get out of going to school the most.Bring back the cane that was instant pain for doing shit i wasn't ment to.Worked then will work now

tri boy
19th February 2011, 10:43
When Mumsy arrived to pick him up she gave him a big hug and sympathy...

But he is a troubled soul, and needing love and support from the whole community before he can soar like an eagle:innocent:
Wouldn't do your job/jobs for quids.
Bring back the cane:yes:

SMOKEU
19th February 2011, 10:57
My old man used to beat the students with sticks when he was a teacher. He had 2 wooden sticks - 'Mr white stick' and 'Mr black stick'.

yungatart
19th February 2011, 11:00
My old man used to beat the students with sticks when he was a teacher. He had 2 wooden sticks - 'Mr white stick' and 'Mr black stick'.

I tell ya, when he punched me in the stomach, I had to really fight the urge to kick the living shit out of him! Alas, that would be the end of my job!

Interesingly, he can't write at the moment because his arm is "too sore"...but he can land punches and throw a chair!!!

Bald Eagle
19th February 2011, 11:02
The whanau will take good care of him.

BMWST?
19th February 2011, 11:04
I tell ya, when he punched me in the stomach, I had to really fight the urge to kick the living shit out of him! Alas, that would be the end of my job!

Interesingly, he can't write at the moment because his arm is "too sore"...but he can land punches and throw a chair!!!

you can defend your self with the same level of violence being inflicted on you

SMOKEU
19th February 2011, 11:04

It's quite sad how the students can do what they want without fear of being in any real trouble, but all they have to do is say that you hit them back and then you'll be facing serious disciplinary action.

PC gone mad!

nadroj
19th February 2011, 11:34
He would look good hanging on a coat hook by his shirt collar until he begged to be let down!

MSTRS
19th February 2011, 11:40
Do the world a favour and make it a rope. Preceded by a short drop...

Mom
19th February 2011, 11:42
That is an OSH incident my dear, you should ask that it is investigated. Your employer has a responsibilty to keep your workplace safe.

Little wankers some of these misunderstood yoofs. My son used to get shit from a bully at school, ended up with an almighty punch up after this dick tripped him up. We taught our boy to never chuck the first punch, but return the favour with interest in his defense. Both boys were stood down for fighting. Mine got what was called an internal stand down where he was allowed to go to school, but not to class :blink: the other boy was eventually suspended.

He was a very indulged kid, being brought up by grandparents as mumsy could not cope with him anymore. He treated his grandparents like shit, would not surprise me to hear he is in jail actually.

Hope you heal up quickly tarty! :love:

Drew
19th February 2011, 11:44
He would look good hanging on a coat hook by his shirt collar until he begged to be let down!

Don't hang me on a hook! My mother hung me on a hook once.... ONCE!

But seriously, the cane was just being done away with when I went to high school, and at thirteen years old I knew it was a bad idea. Corporal punishment works a lot of the time, and the times when a kid has REAL issues of the head bad enough that the cane doesn't work, how would you know?

Pills get doled out for behavioural problems willy nilly these days, and I swear most the time it is totally the wrong thing to do.

MSTRS
19th February 2011, 11:48
Pills get doled out for behavioural problems willy nilly these days, and I swear most the time it is totally the wrong thing to do.

Nah. Just the wrong sort of pill. Try the Pb type - 150g @ 3000 ft/sec...

Edbear
19th February 2011, 11:49
That is an OSH incident my dear, you should ask that it is investigated. Your employer has a responsibilty to keep your workplace safe.
Little wankers some of these misunderstood yoofs. My son used to get shit from a bully at school, ended up with an almighty punch up after this dick tripped him up. We taught our boy to never chuck the first punch, but return the favour with interest in his defense. Both boys were stood down for fighting. Mine got what was called an internal stand down where he was allowed to go to school, but not to class :blink: the other boy was eventually suspended.

He was a very indulged kid, being brought up by grandparents as mumsy could not cope with him anymore. He treated his grandparents like shit, would not surprise me to hear he is in jail actually.

Hope you heal up quickly tarty! :love:

I like the way you think! :yes:

YT do please follow this up vigorously. Don't let anyone belittle you or minimise the offence. It is common assault and needs to be treated as such, including bringing up his pathetic "sore arm" excuse!

Mom
19th February 2011, 11:56
I like the way you think! :yes:

YT do please follow this up vigorously. Don't let anyone belittle you or minimise the offence. It is common assault and needs to be treated as such, including bringing up his pathetic "sore arm" excuse!

I actually think the police should get involved too.

Dadpole
19th February 2011, 11:58
you can defend your self with the same level of violence being inflicted on you

What world would this be? Tart will be lucky if she is not censured for causing stress to the little turd. Making any effort to defend herself would see her out of a job. :bash: There are a number of precedents in this sort of case.

Bald Eagle
19th February 2011, 11:59
He should be transferred to Morrinsville, he'll fit right in there.

Edbear
19th February 2011, 12:03
I actually think the police should get involved too.

Automatically! Without question!

Saw that on the news too...

yungatart
19th February 2011, 12:07
The assault is NOT being minimised by the school. My employers are top notch! My HOD spent some considerable time with me afterwards to make sure I ws ok. The principal, chair of the BOT and others involved were in a meeting within an hour of the incident discussing options for this boy and putting other meaures in place to insure it does not happen again.

I will not be censured over this at all. (In fact I ws quietly asked why I didn't kick him in the gonads...my response that he didn't have any caused great guffaws of laughter!)

I will not be involving the police....it will end up in a FGC...been there, done that, complete waste of time!

Edbear
19th February 2011, 12:19
The assault is NOT being minimised by the school. My employers are top notch! My HOD spent some considerable time with me afterwards to make sure I ws ok. The principal, chair of the BOT and others involved were in a meeting within an hour of the incident discussing options for this boy and putting other meaures in place to insure it does not happen again.

I will not be censured over this at all. (In fact I ws quietly asked why I didn't kick him in the gonads...my response that he didn't have any caused great guffaws of laughter!)

I will not be involving the police....it will end up in a FGC...been there, done that, complete waste of time!

Your call, of course, but I still think it should be a matter of criminal record for the lout. IMHO, the best defence is an open-handed belt to the side of the head as hard as you can hit him. Automatically results in tears and stinging pain that should stop him in his tracks, if not drop him to the floor, and your argument is that you "merely slapped him" in an effort to deflect the assault...

I'm very pleased you have the full support of the school, though, big ups to them.

Maha
19th February 2011, 12:20

I would've paid good money to see that!:yes:
That poor wee cherub, so theres no hand prints to be found on him anywhere?:blink:

mashman
19th February 2011, 12:54
disfuckinsgustin... heal quick YT... tis 1 in 7 years and now someone elses problem. Mummy hugging him just fucks me right off, can only imagine you wanted to paste the mother too... but i'm with Mom and Ed, you should consider reporting it to the cops, if only to get it on the record in case he does it again...

Dave Lobster
19th February 2011, 12:57

Catholic school?? :shit:

Fatt Max
19th February 2011, 13:12
He is suspended and has to appear before the board before he is allowed back at schoool. I doubt he will be back.
When Mumsy arrived to pick him up she gave him a big hug and sympathy...a lost cause, I'm afraid. If one of my kids had done anything like that, they would have received a kick up the arse...and that would be just for starters!!
Parents need to discipline their kids with natural/logical consequences for their actions. If that's not happening, there is no hope!

Thats exactly whats wrong, any decent parent would have given that little bastard a good lesson.

Hope you are ok mate, really sorry to hear that news eh

Wine, lots of it.....or I'll come down there and you KNOW what will happen then.....

MSTRS
19th February 2011, 13:15
....or I'll come down there and you KNOW what will happen then.....

Heaven's Bakery will sell out of pies?

MIXONE
19th February 2011, 13:35
Heaven's Bakery will sell out of pies?

More likely the entire Hawkes Bay.:shit:

yungatart
19th February 2011, 14:03
This kid has 'issues' not of his making, but his mother is creating/has created far worse than the boy was ever inflicted with at birth.

FM...I have run out of wine, but off to do a track day instead. Just what the dr ordered methinks!

Edbear
19th February 2011, 14:06
This kid has 'issues' not of his making, but his mother is creating/has created far worse than the boy was ever inflicted with at birth.

FM...I have run out of wine, but off to do a track day instead. Just what the dr ordered methinks!

My wife is a teacher, currently working in early childhood, and she is constantly gobsmacked at the incompetence and ignorance of parents these days. The stories she brings home stagger me! :blink:

awa355
19th February 2011, 14:41
disfuckinsgustin... heal quick YT... tis 1 in 7 years and now someone elses problem. Mummy hugging him just fucks me right off, can only imagine you wanted to paste the mother too... but i'm with Mom and Ed, you should consider reporting it to the cops, if only to get it on the record in case he does it again...

I doubt the police would keep a record of it if the offence did not result in a conviction.
A weekend without any videos, coke and chips would hurt him more. But then that would mean the little buggar would have nothing to live on at all.
Cant have that.

fuknKIWI
19th February 2011, 15:04
Nah. Just the wrong sort of pill. Try the Pb type - 150g @ 3000 ft/sec...

Now that's violence in the workplace...got fired last year for throwing a punch at work:facepalm:

JimO
19th February 2011, 15:15
Catholic school?? :shit:

yes, the head master would have made time in his busy schedule of sodomising other boys to give this one a good seeing to

BuzzardNZ
19th February 2011, 17:19

TFF :gob: :shit: :laugh: :spanking: :buggerd:

ynot slow
19th February 2011, 18:01

Or the dreaded third former head down toilet trick,ahh joy of a senior.

chanceyy
19th February 2011, 21:42
good to see you tonite my tarty one !! thats one wickedly deep bruise on ya thigh,(nothing like dropping ya trou to show us) and suprised Mstrs is not sporting one now after he lovingly squeezed it by accident :laugh:

but all jokes aside I am pleased its been treated by the school seriously however with mumsy making light of it, and basically condoning the behaviour there really isn't any hope for him

:hug: :love:

avgas
19th February 2011, 22:51
I had to really fight the urge to kick the living shit out of him!
Your doing better than me then.
I was in a similar situation about 10 years ago - had to leave the area for a while.
(no one knew who I was fortunately)

DEATH_INC.
19th February 2011, 23:19
Give a couple of the other students a couple of bucks to rough the little f*cker up a bit :yes:

KiWiP
19th February 2011, 23:40
In 7 years in my current school, I don't recall a staff member being assaulted. I wish I hadn't been the first!
And I wish you hadn't either. Bad luck, wrong place wrong time, bad day in the office? what ever Really sorry that that sort of thing happens to anyone (especially you as I have enjoyed your posts)

However

I sadly doubt the little bugger will receive a fitting punishment. :(
And that would be?

sodomised by the head master Hmmh?!?

Bring back the cane that was instant pain for doing shit i wasn't ment to.Worked then will work now
Nope didn't work then never will. Beating children has never changed behaviour. Not beating, not sodomizing, not torturing or otherwise not abusing those who have no way of defending themselves has had on a number of occasions had positive effects.

Bring back the cane:yes:
Because all of the people beaten in the '50s '60s '70s have created this society where children punch adults?

PC gone mad!
PC? does that stand for Perspective Corruption? One 13 year old child in 12 years of education causing damage and we should

Torture (because that is what that is) the child.

Or kill the child (Jeez get a grip MSTRS)

So prison is appropriate for a tantrum, admittedly one that caused damage and upset, but still a tantrum. And what caused it? had the kid been beaten up at home? sodomised by his headmaster, had his granny die in his arms? shit what the F do you guys know about the background story?

Thats exactly whats wrong, any decent parent
OK another perspective. If decent parents make decent kids and shit parents make shit kids why punish (torture, jail, kill) the kid when the parents are so obviously at fault?

Get a grip KB people. One of our posters had a bad experience. Traumetising but not life threatening. A 13 year old child with definite issues/problems was unable to control themselves and it resulted in an adult getting harmed.

If you really care, then get involved. If you're not you can't start bleating "where did it all go wrong" But if you work with kids you won't say that because when you do you find they're not the problem, we are!

e.g.
Adult related issues
War
Substance abuse
corruption
murder
sexual deviancy (pick your own)
Completely fucking over someone who you once professed undying love to
Shagging children

Child related issues
Tantrums
Being annoying at inappropriate moments
Shagging children, but that's the hormones at work and they are in the same class

Winston001
20th February 2011, 00:06
Really sorry that that sort of thing happens to anyone (especially you as I have enjoyed your posts)

OK another perspective. If decent parents make decent kids and shit parents make shit kids why punish (torture, jail, kill) the kid when the parents are so obviously at fault?

Get a grip KB people. One of our posters had a bad experience. Traumetising but not life threatening. A 13 year old child with definite issues/problems was unable to control themselves and it resulted in an adult getting harmed.

If you really care, then get involved. If you're not you can't start bleating "where did it all go wrong"

I respect your alternative point of view. You are correct that many difficult children have awful backgrounds. Nevertheless we are talking about a 13yr old - not a 5yr old. At 13 every child should have had exposure to normal self-disciplined behaviour even if they are treated badly at home.

In essence, they will understand right and wrong. Good behaviour vs bad behaviour. I feel distraught when we hear about the dysfunctional families at the margins of society but some good kids come out of those families. Those kids learn to behave normally.

So I get a little tired of bad, vicious, nasty behaviour being excused too readily.

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 00:36
I respect your alternative point of view
Doubt it as my view is not alternate it is mainstream societies view. Social services, education, the justice sytem are all in line with respecting the rights of the child. A 13 year old is a child. They have no voice, no forum, no right of reply. none of the rights of an adult. The alternative point of view is the beat them, whip them, fuck them until they become submissive quivering wretches. A quiet child is an unhappy child, an unhappy child is a fucked up adult. Who do you want as your neighbour?

At 13 every child should have had exposure to normal self-disciplined behaviour even if they are treated badly at home.
How right you are but what if they don't have that exposure? Do we hammer the child because he was errant in seeking out good parenting?

. I feel distraught when we hear about the dysfunctional families at the margins of society but some good kids come out of those families. Those kids learn to behave normally.
Absolutely and very often they need support and help from outside
Want to help, be a mentor for kids from disadvantaged families [First Foundation] (http://www.firstfoundation.org.nz/) Get involved these are great kids and benefit greatly from those with a greater world view.

So I get a little tired of bad, vicious, nasty behaviour being excused too readily.
Oh really how often do you hear of this? Sunday tomorrow, get the newspapers there will be sod all. But there will be tales of corruption, theft, adult violence, etc etc...

Let's start concentrating on the big stuff

Why the fuck do we have Kiwi boys in the middle of a fucking desert?

Why does our government bow to an American government who doesn't give a fuck about us.

Why are the developers of leaky building homes still building substandard housing and why are the same planning committees still signing off these developments.

An errant kid and people are calling for him to be tortured, sodomised, and murdered. Yet real issues get ignored. Thats what I get tired of

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 00:51
Give a couple of the other students a couple of bucks to rough the little f*cker up a bit :yes:

What a quality adult you are. You have just taught two (a couple) children that they can make money from beating up another individual.

When you hand over the money are you going to specify the quality of the beating.

$10 black eyes
$50 broken bones
$100 ruptured spleen

Are you a parent? Do you encourage your kids to outsource their wetwork? If your kid had a freakout at school and hurt someone would it be acceptable for a third party to be contracted to 'rough them up a bit'

Get a grip. What sort of world do you want to live in? I'm pretty sure it's not one where you pay people to 'teach others a lesson' for money

gammaguy
20th February 2011, 01:08

spare the rod and spoil the chiild(cue wringing of hands from bleeding heart liberals)

Keep lettting them get away with it,we can all see the type of society it has created.

Its a failed experiment people,and the sooner children can be correctly disciplined the better,and no that does not mean I condone beating them up.

There are ways of showing them their errors that do not involve violence,sadly for many so called parents these days thats in the too hard basket.

You have my sympathies trying to do in a few hours a week what the parents should be doing the rest of the time.

Woodman
20th February 2011, 05:55
The only time I ever saw a chair thrown at school it was by a teacher at a student.

He wasn't paying attention.:shit:

awa355
20th February 2011, 08:13
What a quality adult you are. You have just taught two (a couple) children that they can make money from beating up another individual.

When you hand over the money are you going to specify the quality of the beating.

$10 black eyes
$50 broken bones
$100 ruptured spleen

Are you a parent? Do you encourage your kids to outsource their wetwork? If your kid had a freakout at school and hurt someone would it be acceptable for a third party to be contracted to 'rough them up a bit'

Get a grip. What sort of world do you want to live in? I'm pretty sure it's not one where you pay people to 'teach others a lesson' for money

Get a hold of yourself !! Have you never made light about anybody's downfall?
The postings you are slanging off at are only peoples way of venting frustrations.

It's called "black humour" It exists in all occupations that deal with the dark side of peoples behaviour. Mental health, Prisons, Law enforcement, Education,

And yes I agree with your views that it all starts with Adults attitudes.

Usarka
20th February 2011, 08:27
e.g.
Adult related issues
War
Substance abuse
corruption
murder
Shagging children

Child related issues
Tantrums
Shagging children, but that's the hormones at work and they are in the same class

Ever had a kid pull a knife on you? I wouldn't class that as a tantrum.....

ynot slow
20th February 2011, 08:54
Know a retired teacher,he said it took 37years for a kid to hit him at school,he was dumbstruck more than anything,but didn't hit the kid,as he was retiring in 6months time.The board did the usual family crap,but best thing was the teachers son at time was in police force as a detective,so imagine the families fuss when a squad car turned up with warrant for drug search,they found dope(parents as well),unlicensed firearms(well no one had license),stolen goods,and parting word was "gee bugger your kid decked a teacher eh"was said tongue in cheek.

A really good method of stopping kids without smacking is hold their arm and gently squeeze till they cry,kindy teachers rule no 1.

And for those liberal twats,a smack aint a bash,and a bash aint a smack understand,well I did with my kids,only had to give a couple of smacks,i.e trying to pull out kiddy safe plugs from wall.Easy way for kids to put plastic toys away off lawn,mow em next time,kids learn.

Owl
20th February 2011, 08:57

$10 black eyes
$50 broken bones
$100 ruptured spleen

Shit, do you live under a rock?

Little fuckers want at least a hundy (each) for black eyes:angry:

JimO
20th February 2011, 09:04
Doubt it as my view is not alternate it is mainstream societies view. Social services, education, the justice sytem are all in line with respecting the rights of the child. A 13 year old is a child. They have no voice, no forum, no right of reply. none of the rights of an adult. The alternative point of view is the beat them, whip them, fuck them until they become submissive quivering wretches. A quiet child is an unhappy child, an unhappy child is a fucked up adult. Who do you want as your neighbour?

How right you are but what if they don't have that exposure? Do we hammer the child because he was errant in seeking out good parenting?

Absolutely and very often they need support and help from outside
Want to help, be a mentor for kids from disadvantaged families [First Foundation] (http://www.firstfoundation.org.nz/) Get involved these are great kids and benefit greatly from those with a greater world view.

Oh really how often do you hear of this? Sunday tomorrow, get the newspapers there will be sod all. But there will be tales of corruption, theft, adult violence, etc etc...

Let's start concentrating on the big stuff

Why does our government bow to an American government who doesn't give a fuck about us.

Why are the developers of leaky building homes still building substandard housing and why are the same planning committees still signing off these developments.

An errant kid and people are calling for him to be tortured, sodomised, and murdered. Yet real issues get ignored. Thats what I get tired of

i would be really interested to know what you do for a living

Dave Lobster
20th February 2011, 09:14
i would be really interested to know what you do for a living

Hand wringing.

JimO
20th February 2011, 09:23
Hand wringing.

full time or part time??

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 11:00
You don't have to strike the little arsehole. There are a number of good restraining holds and compliance techniques that can be very effective.

Just ask the stupid kid that tried to put a choke hold on the Moll in class one day.

DEATH_INC.
20th February 2011, 11:02

No I'd clip the little spoilt asshole around the ears myself.
You fucken pc goody two shoes kids can do no wrong dickheads are why our kids/teens and now adults have no fucken respect for the law or any other authority.
Pull your fucken head in and see the world around you and what's happening to it.
You talk about the leaky homes, well maybe if those that signed them off had some fucken respect for authority and accountability then it may not of happened.

We play with the US, because that's what friends do.

We play in the desert, because that's what armies do.

Get a fucken grip.

Or maybe you can tell us all how to stop our teachers risking injury by doing there job?

mashman
20th February 2011, 11:17
I doubt the police would keep a record of it if the offence did not result in a conviction.

A HUGE failure of the system :yes:... shouldn't matter should it, an assault is an assault irrespective of age and if the little prick is willing to do this at the age of 13 to a fully grown woman, what's in store for the next teacher that gets the little cunt, or anyone else that he takes a dislike to when life isn't going his way... The police should be earmarking these violent wankers early and should they repeat it when of age, bang 'em up straight away no questions asked.

Virago
20th February 2011, 11:55
Blah, blah, blah...

Are you serious...? A young male seriously assaults a female, and you attempt to minimise and justify it with incoherent ramblings about leaky homes and anti-US waffle?

You represent all that is wrong with our society. Well done.

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 12:10
The posting you are slanging off at are only peoples way of venting frustrations.
Apparently not

No I'd clip the little spoilt asshole around the ears myself.
So you would strike a child! We have the mark of who you are. A bully, a thug, an aggressive out of control monster.

You fucken pc goody two shoes kids can do no wrong dickheads are why our kids/teens and now adults have no fucken respect for the law or any other authority.
Poorly educated as well

EDIT: You fucking PC, goody two shoes, kids can do no wrong, dickheads are why our kids, teens and now adults have no respect for the fucking law
Is it because you had a bad experience growing up? What history causes a man to wish to be associated with corporate death (DEATH_INC and all in capitals to stress the point)?

Pull your fucken head in and see the world around you
Erm Contradiction surely. See you just don't do this thinking thing to well. Better leave it to the grown ups

Get a fucken grip. Or maybe you can tell us all how to stop our teachers risking injury by doing there job?
Any transgression of acceptable societies rules should bring an appropriate consequence. This is what courts do in the adult world. Once a transgression has been established a penalty is attached. For children we hope parents call them to task, teachers do their thing (detentions, lines etc). I personally engage the kids in a series of conversations to get them to change their behaviour. That's what we want surely, kids who don't transgress. Or do you just want to punish children to make yourself feel better about the fact you did sod all initially to prevent such behaviour?

JimO
20th February 2011, 12:24
you havnt answered my question, old chum, whats your profession?

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 12:27
Are you serious...? A young male seriously assaults a female, and you attempt to minimise and justify it with incoherent ramblings about leaky homes and anti-US waffle?

You represent all that is wrong with our society. Well done.

Didn't mean it to come across as trivialising the incident and I did start my post putting my sentiments in context.

And I wish you hadn't either. Bad luck, wrong place wrong time, bad day in the office? what ever Really sorry that that sort of thing happens to anyone

What I wanted to do was put into context an extremely rare incident with all too common adult misdemeanours.
Punishing children with violent means never changes their behaviour for the better.
Which is what I have been ranting about. (Hell this is a rant thread after all)

So to return to the original list which one has greater priority in your world?

Adult related issues
War
Substance abuse
corruption
murder
Shagging children

Child related issues
Tantrums

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 12:41

Sorry, yours didn't provide enough entertainment for me. But I do like the 'old chum' tag.

I'm a secondary school teacher so am dealing with these issues daily. I am teaching in a decile 10 school at the moment but we do have kids with severe issues. I have also taught in inner city decile 1 schools in the UK (where pat downs do come up with knives and drugs).

So I do feel qualified to rant on this issue. Violent consequences do not prevent violent actions. If they did then Texas where they have the death penalty would have no street murders.
Violent actions (in fact any transgression) should never have no consequence but the consequences should ensure that the behaviour changes.

This is one of the major challenges of teachers bringing children from childhood to adult hood as painlessly as possible. If we have the support of the parents it makes the job much easier. If not it makes it more difficult but doesn't stop us trying. It doesn't help when the general public come wading in with smack them, cane them, string 'em up type sentiments. It's not practical, legal and doesn't work.

Usarka
20th February 2011, 13:17
I personally engage the kids in a series of conversations to get them to change their behaviour. That's what we want surely, kids who don't transgress. Or do you just want to punish children to make yourself feel better about the fact you did sod all initially to prevent such behaviour?

I'm genuinely interested - how does this "lets talk" approach make the good kids feel? Because they will be perceiving that the crime has gone unpunished.

Usually they're the victims of these "bad" kids and seeing the perpertrator of violence/assaults/bullying getting no punishment must have a double impact on them. But they don't matter, right...?

JimO
20th February 2011, 13:21
I'm a secondary school teacher

well that says it all:yes:, i suppose you are on the principal of Morrinsville schools side regarding letting the 3 bullys back into the school that beat the girl up?

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 13:31
well that says it all:yes:, i suppose you are on the principal of Morrinsville schools side regarding letting the 3 bullys back into the school that beat the girl up?

Probably end up setting policy at the ministry.

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 13:42
I'm genuinely interested - how does this "lets talk" approach make the good kids feel? Because they will be perceiving that the crime has gone unpunished.

Usually they're the victims of these "bad" kids and seeing the perpertrator of violence/assaults/bullying getting no punishment must have a double impact on them. But they don't matter, right...?

The point of a 'conversation' is to force the child to confront their negative actions, appreciate the impact they have on their own future and on their peers. The other pupils see a punishment happening because the kid has the conversation in their own time. Therefore to the outsider it appears they are getting a detention. To the kid it is worse than a detention because they have to confront their actions and come up with an agreed set of actions they are going to perform that are acceptable behaviours. If they stray then we have a further conversation. To date the maximum is three conversations. This does not create little angels but it does engender an acceptable working relationship in the classroom.

If bullying is involved this is a much larger issue and is reported up the chain of command. I make the bully aware that I know what is going on and will be keeping track of them to ensure it doesn't continue. I do more work though with the victim . Victims of bullying very often make themselves targets by the way they dress, act, speak, behave. They generally have low confidence and self esteem so I see it as important to work with them to raise that confidence.

Virago
20th February 2011, 13:44
...The postings you are slanging off at are only peoples way of venting frustrations...

Apparently not...

Such sweet irony...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/127212-Sweet-revenge

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 13:47
The point of a 'conversation' is to force the child to confront their negative actions, appreciate the impact they have on their own future and on their peers. The other pupils see a punishment happening because the kid has the conversation in their own time. Therefore to the outsider it appears they are getting a detention. To the kid it is worse than a detention because they have to confront their actions and come up with an agreed set of actions they are going to perform that are acceptable behaviours. If they stray then we have a further conversation. To date the maximum is three conversations. This does not create little angels but it does engender an acceptable working relationship in the classroom.

If bullying is involved this is a much larger issue and is reported up the chain of command. I make the bully aware that I know what is going on and will be keeping track of them to ensure it doesn't continue. I do more work though with the victim . Victims of bullying very often make themselves targets by the way they dress, act, speak, behave. They generally have low confidence and self esteem so I see it as important to work with them to raise that confidence.

Most delinquents that I've had to counsel, whether adult or child, appear incapable of confronting their actions, and in their mind they seem to be able to justify their behaviour and in fact feel victimised, and therefore validated in continuing their behaviour because nobody else understands them, except for perhaps that nice man that lets them continue with their behaviour until they get to fake an apology in their own time. One day something will happen so that they no longer even trust the nice man and will turn on him too.

I saw it again just yesterday.

Usarka
20th February 2011, 13:48
Victims of bullying very often make themselves targets by the way they dress, act, speak, behave. They generally have low confidence and self esteem so I see it as important to work with them to raise that confidence.

So it's the victims fault.

You know that's what they used to say about rape victims eh..... :bye:

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 13:51
Victims of bullying very often make themselves targets by the way they dress, act, speak, behave. They generally have low confidence and self esteem so I see it as important to work with them to raise that confidence.

Oh, you mean in the same way victims of rape make themselves targets? :blink: :facepalm:

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 14:01
well that says it all:yes:,

Interesting point. 'Says it all' ? Says what? I'm a teacher committed to getting the best from children today for a greater New Zealand tomorrow. I have experience in the field of child development and believe I am good at what I do and strive to understand my weaknesses and improve.

i suppose you are on the principal of Morrinsville schools side regarding letting the 3 bullys back into the school that beat the girl up?
How the hell do you make that connection? I have no knowledge of this other than what we have all read in the papers. Real nasty stuff, unprovoked attack apparently with very serious consequences for the victim. But the principal did not let the kids back. The Board did. This comprises of the principal, staff, members, parents, local worthies and probably a pupil representative. As to why they took this action I can only refer you to the principals statement here. (http://www.morrcoll.school.nz/)

well that says it all:yes:,
Well you appear to have an issue with teachers. So it doesn't really matter what I have to say does it. You are going to continue to believe that 'bashing the buggers' is the way to a better society

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 14:13
Oh, you mean in the same way victims of rape make themselves targets? :blink: :facepalm:

Nope and out of context. However if anyone voluntarily puts themselves in an a hazardous environment they must accept some responsibility for the consequences.
A motorcyclist who rides in shorts and jandals must accept the gravel rash is partly their fault not just the fault of the person who knocked them off. The rider might expect to get home safely without getting knocked off but this is not the case as we know.
A girl who dresses in extremely sexy gear goes to a bar known to be frequented by wretches and low lifes, gets so wasted she can't walk, then gets assaulted. She may expect in a decent world to get home safely but we know this is not so. She must be prepared to accept some responsibility for the result. This does not excuse the rapists in any part what they did is wrong but why it happened is partly the girls fault (in this hypothetical case)
It is all contextual and this is why we have the courts to assess this.

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 14:21
So it's the victims fault.

No. But they can help themselves to not be the victims and we adults can and should help them.

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 14:26
A girl who dresses in extremely sexy gear goes to a bar known to be frequented by wretches and low lifes, gets so wasted she can't walk, then gets assaulted. She may expect in a decent world to get home safely but we know this is not so.

Yeah, that decent world went out the window when the only consequence for violent little kids was a fake apology in front of their peers, who also learn that it's ok to do WTF they like, as long as they can admit it was wrong and they say they're sorry.

Hitcher
20th February 2011, 14:28
What is it with violence in schools? If assaults like this happened anywhere else the Police would be summoned. Criminal, victim, witnesses, Court case, sentence. Simple. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go directly to jail.

And don't get me started on bullying, which is also unpunished in a similar vein to Ms Tart's assault. Why?

Edbear
20th February 2011, 14:31

I think the point made is that there are things you can teach victims to help them become a less likely target. The perpetrators target a certain type or appearance and if you can make yourself unlike their preferred target, you are less likely to be a victim.

As everyone agrees, the issue is education. In the case of the perpetrators, educating them as to the right way to behave in society and to change their attitudes and behaviour. In the case of the victims, helping them to avoid being a potential target.

Of course, violence must not be excused or minimised and must attract appropriate consquences, but more than punishment is required if the behaviour is to change.

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 14:33
What is it with violence in schools? If assaults like this happened anywhere else the Police would be summoned. Criminal, victim, witnesses, Court case, sentence. Simple. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go directly to jail.

And don't get me started on bullying, which is also unpunished in a similar vein to Ms Tart's assault. Why?

Apparently, we are to believe that it is because of leaky buildings in New Zealand, and Americans in Iraq.

Usarka
20th February 2011, 14:39
As citizens we give up the right to enact revenge when we are wronged with the understanding that this will be judged and enacted by the criminal system. Most of the time there is some punishment dished out and this helps the victims deal with the situation.

Not punishing kids is completely counter to this fundamental principle of our society. Kids do not see detention or a "talking to" as a punishment especially for assault or bullying.

Victims have rights too....

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 14:40
I think the point made is that there are things you can teach victims to help them become a less likely target. The perpetrators target a certain type or appearance and if you can make yourself unlike their preferred target, you are less likely to be a victim.

As everyone agrees, the issue is education. In the case of the perpetrators, educating them as to the right way to behave in society and to change their attitudes and behaviour. In the case of the victims, helping them to avoid being a potential target.

Of course, violence must not be excused or minimised and must attract appropriate consquences, but more than punishment is required if the behaviour is to change.

I understand that, after all, in the bullying thread here I clicked on the stuff article and as I looked at the photo I thought to myself "If I had gone to school in a 'George Michael' singlet with a pink bracelet on my wrist with hair that looks like that, I would probably have been bullied even more than I was."

That's not really the point though, is it?

Are you suggesting we ask Ms Tart to consider what she may have been doing, or wearing to provoke such an outburst from the little darling?

How much responsibility are you prepared to place with her for the incident?

Edbear
20th February 2011, 15:16
I understand that, after all, in the bullying thread here I clicked on the stuff article and as I looked at the photo I thought to myself "If I had gone to school in a 'George Michael' singlet with a pink bracelet on my wrist with hair that looks like that, I would probably have been bullied even more than I was."

That's not really the point though, is it?

Are you suggesting we ask Ms Tart to consider what she may have been doing, or wearing to provoke such an outburst from the little darling?

How much responsibility are you prepared to place with her for the incident?

I take your point here completely. I doubt YT did anything at all to attract the attack, perhaps save deny the kid something he wanted or maybe counselled him for something, you'll have to ask her what she thought brought it on. Regardless, there is no justification for the assault and the boy needs both discipline and counsel. Unfortunately, as has been said, she is unlikely to get parental support in his case.

Oakie
20th February 2011, 15:38
He had 2 wooden sticks - 'Mr white stick' and 'Mr black stick'. Sounds like inter-racial gay porn!

SMOKEU
20th February 2011, 15:40
Sounds like inter-racial gay porn!

Seems like you've been watching too much of teh pr0n again.

JimO
20th February 2011, 16:40
Well you appear to have an issue with teachers. So it doesn't really matter what I have to say does it. You are going to continue to believe that 'bashing the buggers' is the way to a better society

i have no issues with teachers at all, but im glad your not teaching my kids, bashing the buggers isnt the way to a better society but neither is giving them a pat on the back and telling them they can do what they like, ask the cops on here what they think of the young scrotes they have to deal with that come out of your classrooms

Hitcher
20th February 2011, 16:54
Indeed. At what stage of their upbringing are children supposed to learn about accepting consequences for their actions?

James Deuce
20th February 2011, 17:04
So I do feel qualified to rant on this issue. Violent consequences do not prevent violent actions. If they did then Texas where they have the death penalty would have no street murders.
Violent actions (in fact any transgression) should never have no consequence but the consequences should ensure that the behaviour changes.

But that's the issue, isn't it? For this kid there are no consequences, for most kids there are no consequences. It's unfair that Janet got caught up in it and I'm really sorry that she ended up attacked.

I know what she does (really well) for a job and I imagine that in this instance the child's mother is over-compensating horribly and she's doing it because when you have a kid with any sort of special needs, you are on your own, you get no help or guidance as to how to manage behavioural issues, and despite the constant KB clamour that "It's the parent's fault, burn them", as usual KB doesn't have a cogent answer that even begins to address the wider picture.

Janet hasn't gone further with the issue because she's a grown up and should be respected for that and respected for her deeper understanding of the situation.

In the meantime would anybody like to tell me how you become a "good parent" in a country where "good parenting" isn't modeled for a huge percentage of the population, where a Government without ideas on how to improve the distribution of wealth or the plight of children in NZ demands that both parents work because the economy's rooted (Look at our balance of payments. Go on. Tell me it's OK. It was ruined before the GFR), and that demand isn't really necessary because the time is long past when the average Kiwi family can subsist on one wage and Grandparents are being recruited to do all the early childhood stuff?

This isn't a black and white issue, there's no magic switch to flick.

You lot go on about being a brotherhood of bikers. The truth is, when it gets too hard, you all disappear into the scenery. When was the last time one of you lot did something to positively affect someone's day, and that someone wasn't a biker you were sucking up to or a relative you're obliged to help?

I'm no saint, as coldrider so kindly pointed out, but just this last Thursday, feeling like crap (I now have pneumonia and am confined to quarters), I'd walked to the train station, got on a full train and spotted a young lad deliberately hogging a seat by putting his bag next to the window and sitting in the aisle seat.

I wandered up to him (sweaty, grumpy bald old guy) and said, "Oi kid, move over", he about shat himself and and bleated "Sorry" in a voice that cracked and rose two octaves, and then I wandered back to the door area and asked the young miss with the impressive décolletage if she'd like a seat. I then sat on the steps and read my book. Stuff like that is what models reasonable behaviour in others. You have to demonstrate it.

If you're not prepared to do, then shut up. Janet's restraint was still an example to this kid, whether you lot like the outcome or not, and Janet "does" for a job.

Number One
20th February 2011, 17:15
The only time I ever saw a chair thrown at school it was by a teacher at a student.

He wasn't paying attention.:shit:

Haha I saw that at my school too. That teacher started throwing chalk and dusters and topped off the third term throwing a chair. Old Small organ Morgan...ahhh the good old days.

An errant kid and people are calling for him to be tortured, sodomised, and murdered.

I suspect one day my wee darling might be the subject of similar cries fo vengeance and wrath. I don't condone the actions either but having a kid that sometimes loses himself COMPLETELY sure makes me understand that not all kids are just bad arses with bad families, crap parents, shite environments and no respect for authority. Sadly life is not that black and white all the time concerning all the people.

No. But they can help themselves to not be the victims and we adults can and should help them.

IF only it was as simple as that for all 'victims'. Try as we might, my boy (who I do love btw) is terribly effing annoying to peers....and much of the time not even on purpose...he is desperate to be friends and keeps getting himself in more and more shit when he tries, then he gets upset because the other kids are arseholes to him and he reacts in ways he KNOWS aren't helpful but by that time he's out to lunch emotionally and all rational thought is totally out the window...

Indeed. At what stage of their upbringing are children supposed to learn about accepting consequences for their actions?

At what stage of LIFE do some people learn to accept the consequences for their actions? I know a 59 year old that could do with some help on that front! Serious fucking help!!!!

ALSO not all kids/adults have the emotional awareness and self control to stop themselves from doing bad shit...even if later on they are hugely remorseful about the action it doesn't change it nor does it make it better...sometimes it doesn't prevent it in future either.

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 17:26
but neither is giving them a pat on the back and telling them they can do what they like, ask the cops on here what they think of the young scrotes they have to deal with that come out of your classrooms

Well you are very good at reading 1/2 the posts I make let's hope you read the other half of this one.

When would I ever give them a "pat on the back and tell them they can do what they want"? Never. When the kids infringe they are made to confront their actions and recognise the consequences of their actions. This is a very uncomfortable experience for them. In many cases they have never had to do this before. But hear this. It does change their behaviour. This is what we want isn't it?

Loved the last bit of your post. Lovely bit of journalistic conjuring. From what you write, when I teach kids they become young scrotes that get into trouble with the police.

As for the first bit which I was going to ignore but heck while I'm here. I wouldn't mind teaching your kids because I don't discriminate. I would also understand when their homework was full of errors as they had probably asked Dad for help.

Their - possessive
There- position
They're - contraction (of they and are)
e.g. They're fucked because of their idiot father, that one over there.

Your - possesive
You're - contraction
e.g. You're grammar is one of your failings.

Pretty confident you won't be upset by this because I'm fairly convinced you never read down this far :whistle:

pc220
20th February 2011, 17:34
Well you are very good at reading 1/2 the posts I make let's hope you read the other half of this one.

When would I ever give them a "pat on the back and tell them they can do what they want"? Never. When the kids infringe they are made to confront their actions and recognise the consequences of their actions. This is a very uncomfortable experience for them. In many cases they have never had to do this before. But hear this. It does change their behaviour. This is what we want isn't it?

Loved the last bit of your post. Lovely bit of journalistic conjuring. From what you write, when I teach kids they become young scrotes that get into trouble with the police.

As for the first bit which I was going to ignore but heck while I'm here. I wouldn't mind teaching your kids because I don't discriminate. I would also understand when their homework was full of errors as they had probably asked Dad for help.

Their - possessive
There- position

Your - possesive
You're - contraction

Pretty confident you won't be upset by this because I'm fairly convinced you never read down this far :whistle:

Does the smell ever get to you ?. You know, from always having your head firmly jammed up your own arse.

Skyryder
20th February 2011, 17:41

What the fuck does that have to do with opinion?

Skyryder

Buyasta
20th February 2011, 17:49

Their - possessive
There- position

Your - possesive
You're - contraction

You do know the old saw about folks in glass houses?
Perhaps you'd have been better off with something along the lines of "Your grammar is poor, you're upsetting all the grammar nazi's."

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 17:56
You do know the old saw about folks in glass houses?
Perhaps you'd have been better off with something along the lines of "Your grammar is poor, you're upsetting all the grammar nazi's."

LOL that's what ewe get four thinking too much or not enuf...

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 17:58

Their - possessive
There- position

Your - possesive
You're - contraction

Your grammar is fucked.

HTH

Virago
20th February 2011, 18:02
Your - possesive
You're - contraction
e.g. You're grammar is one of your failings...

You've just proved that you're an idiot. :facepalm:

mashman
20th February 2011, 18:03

Not worth it unless you can prosecute someone for the action, I assume. Only the law can apportion blame it seems.

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 18:06

It also proves the old adage about those that can, and those that can't.

LOL

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 18:11
Nope I've just proved we can all make a mistake.

You've proved you're insults are lame.

Whereas mine are funny girly boy (Virago :bleh:)

Smifffy
20th February 2011, 18:12

Your insults are lame.

HTH

JimO
20th February 2011, 18:24

Their - possessive
There- position

Your - possesive
You're - contraction

no worries there mate i left school aged 15 in 1975, got a apprenticeship, and have been self employed since 1986, rowing my own boat if you know what i mean, my 18 yo twins have gone through school doing rather better than i did, both off to uni this year and my 15 yo is doing ok as well, when i asked what your job was i knew it would either be teacher or social worker, mainly because of the namby pamby attitude

Dave Lobster
20th February 2011, 18:28
when i asked what your job was i knew it would either be teacher or social worker, mainly because of the namby pamby attitude

I MAY be wrong.. but aren't they one and the same nowadays?

Virago
20th February 2011, 18:30

A Virago is actually a bad-tempered old woman...:hitcher:

KiWiP
20th February 2011, 18:54
A Virago is actually a bad-tempered old woman...:hitcher:

Merriam Webster - Virago: a loud overbearing woman

And you're a bloke

Ipso facto you are a girly boy and I am hilarious :woohoo:

Edbear
20th February 2011, 19:20

I dont make misteaks.. :yes:

Number One
20th February 2011, 19:23
I dont make misteaks.. :yes:

mmmmmmmmmmmm steak dribble dribble dribble...

Where is my man with my dinner?! :corn:

JimO
20th February 2011, 20:15

And you're a bloke

im thinking of some words but hilarious isnt one of them, you are pretty quick to sling insults at people who dont agree with you, what do the kids call you

JimO
20th February 2011, 20:23
What the fuck does that have to do with opinion?

Skyryder

i think that occupation has a lot to do with opinion, take you for example your so pro labour and anti national your occupation would probably have been Helen Clerks tooth wrangler

DEATH_INC.
20th February 2011, 20:55
I am hilarious :woohoo:
You are a dick. :yes:

psycho22
20th February 2011, 23:33

Their - possessive
There- position

Your - possesive
You're - contraction

If you're going to preach to someone as to what they should practice, perhaps you should practice that which you're preaching first.

superman
20th February 2011, 23:40
Make sure the kid doesn't have grounds for a provocation defense now... :facepalm:

jasonu
21st February 2011, 05:09

No, not an idiot. Just someone who thinks he or she is (he's or she's) better than everyone else around him or her.

laserracer
21st February 2011, 06:25

i agree nip it in the bud early..before he is old enough to go on the dole ...then go to one of the holiday camp prisons around the country..thats after he's been caught drunk driving when disgualified several times ,,then robs and kills some old lady

MSTRS
21st February 2011, 08:28
...shit what the F do you guys know about the background story?

FYI I am married to YT, and I do know the full story. I'm not at liberty to divulge too much, of course, but this kid's biggest problem is the mother. She should be strung up, since her 'style' of raising this kid is nothing short of abuse. But at 13, the kid is now confirmed in his behaviours, so he can join her on the scaffold.
Sure, my comment/s are OTT - it's a pressure valve - because I don't like seeing my wife hurt, especially by a kid that's been at this school one week and comes with a long history of doing this sort of thing. Which was dealt with 'your' way, every time it happened.
Your view of how to treat kids is typical of so many well-intentioned fools. Kids are NOT little adults, and are not capable of reason as we adults understand it. Kids are self-centred little hedonists - unchecked (appropriately) they are likely to become sociopathic adults.
I suggest you watch and study Nigel Latta...

Brett
21st February 2011, 10:23

Did none of the boys in the class get hold of him and a) stop him, b) beat the shit out of him in turn?

oneofsix
21st February 2011, 10:32
Your view of how to treat kids is typical of so many well-intentioned fools. Kids are NOT little adults, and are not capable of reason as we adults understand it. Kids are self-centred little hedonists - unchecked (appropriately) they are likely to become sociopathic adults.
I suggest you watch and study Nigel Latta...

Well said sir. Being a kid is about growing up which includes learning that there a consequences to your actions before they get to the stage that they kill you. The trouble with the soft approach is arse holes like this are beyond it having an affect on them and need radical action before they even notice, bamboo to the rear, they get to skite about it but notice it. Suspension is just a holiday from a place they don't want to be.

Swoop
21st February 2011, 11:17
I was placing good money on the outcome being "green party MP".:rolleyes:

avgas
21st February 2011, 12:25
a) Airplane
b) Because its the government, that's what it does. Don't like it start a riot in the streets like Cairo
c) Because they get paid regardless

Any more difficult questions?

avgas
21st February 2011, 12:27
Apparently, we are to believe that it is because of leaky buildings in New Zealand, and Americans in Iraq.
Thank god.
We have been blaming everything on the Nazi's, the Commies and global warming for way too long.

avgas
21st February 2011, 12:31
Heh made me laugh though.
And I only did School C English.

avgas
21st February 2011, 12:32
And you're a bloke
Stones in glass houses
Yellow dribble.

mattian
21st February 2011, 15:42
It's disgusting when this type of thing happens to teachers.... just crazy.
I've worked in kitchens alot and seen a few altercations. Most recently, while working at Fusion cafe, I had to wedge myself in between 2 Chinese guys trying to rip each others heads off before it spilled out into the cafe......lol

Skyryder
21st February 2011, 15:52
i think that occupation has a lot to do with opinion, take you for example your so pro labour and anti national your occupation would probably have been Helen Clerks tooth wrangler

You think? And to back up your assertions all you can do is to come up with insults.

Skyryder

JimO
21st February 2011, 16:16
You think? And to back up your assertions all you can do is to come up with insults.

Skyryder

so you wernt Herr Clerks tooth wrangler?? hardly a insult, you should be thrilled somebody thinks you have held such a important position

Kendog
21st February 2011, 16:17
Cane him, then cane the PC twats that think caning is wrong.

Hope your feeling better YT.

Winston001
25th February 2011, 13:36
t.

What I wanted to do was put into context an extremely rare incident with all too common adult misdemeanours.

Punishing children with violent means never changes their behaviour for the better.
Which is what I have been ranting about. (Hell this is a rant thread after all)

Good on you for forging ahead with an enlightened point of view against the flow of general opinion.

I do agree with you that eyeballing and talking to recalcitrant school children is a good approach. Some kids have never had any attention paid to them by anyone, nor have they been confronted for their bad choices. Ignoring or simply punishing bad behaviour is no different to what they get at home so it has no effect. They will grow up to be trouble for us all.

Better to nip it in the bud if you can.

Personally I think some children are so damaged by the age of 13 that we have to take a hard line to protect the rest of society. YT should not have had to endure an attack or worry that it will happen again.

Finally KiWiP, can I suggest you ignore the abuse if you want to get your points across. There are people reading who will be interested and reconsider their gut reaction.

We all enjoy cut and thrust on KB, but when the topic is serious, returning the serves simply distracts from what you have to say.