PDA

View Full Version : Where is the money going?

KiWiP
19th February 2011, 22:16
Just been on an ACC funded training day in Orewa and have to say it was excellent. Picked up loads of skills advice etc conducted by local training schools.
Fit for purpose and well worth the money (well it was free) If you have the same opportunity then do it. It is a total win situation.

Now for my rant. On the course we were given a little course pack containing lots of 'helpful' (?") information

A few of the 'Bon mottes' from the info leaflets I cry at
Returning to riding "Extra traffic spells extra danger" Well Duh!
Group riding "A lot of overtaking means you'll need to ease the pace. Be very wary of overtaking other riders" Group riding is organised by experienced riders. Yes some are dicks and you don't ride with them any more but they are not going to read this and go " Oh I see I shouldn't ride like a tosser and encourage others to do the same"
SMIDSY "Ride with dipped light on at all times" It's the law FFS
"If you can't see a drivers eyes in their mirror, they can't see you" How in the hell can you see a drivers eyes in a car any where away from stopped!
Get into gear: Actually all good on this leaflet

A thoroughly incomprehensible (though very pretty) booklet "Gear Guide"
"Check for the EN13595 symbol or ask if the material is the grade required for the injury risk zone." Well what is an injury risk zone? the pretty booklet attempts to explain it in terms of how long you can bounce down the road for before you need a claim form. But if EN13595 is so important how can bike shops sell bike gear if it doesn't comply. The pretty booklet goes further into checking stitch quality? Sorry I know if my shirt button is on or off, not whether it is attached with fine silk in and arabic sailors button stich. And why should I?

Through out all of this they are saying "Talk to you local shop, they are bikers, they know whats what etc etc but apparently there is shit loads of shonkey gear out they that does not comply (or is just rubbish) but who is selling it? Your local dealer! An who allows it to be sold? The government with lax trading standards.

But I digress. ACC is now getting a lovely budget to promote safer riding. Hooray I'm all for it. But I am dismayed that some (any) of it is being spent on stupid, confusing, contradictory literature

I will leave you with this gem from the 'gear guide' (pretty booklet)

Colour fastness = An ISO 11642 symbol means the gloves meet the standard for colour-fastness in water.

This last says to me that some faceless marketing company has been give a shit load of the ACC money to turn out pointless paper.

How can we ensure that our exaggerated Rego fees are spent on the road and not in an office?

avgas
19th February 2011, 22:30
Don't look at me.............

I will just keep crying "WOLF, WOLF!!!!!!" until the bastard eats us all.

steve_t
19th February 2011, 22:37
:blink: so gloves that aren't colourfast in water aren't safe?

Also, how do you know if the CE standard EN 13595 tag is genuine or a cheap chinese knockoff?

BMWST?
19th February 2011, 23:17
"If you can't see a drivers eyes in their mirror, they can't see you"

This is true....if you are following a car or truck and you should be able to see the drivers face/eyes in the rear vision and or outside mirrors.If you cant they arent or havent looked in the mirror or it not adjusted properly.

Usarka
19th February 2011, 23:21
A thoroughly incomprehensible (though very pretty) booklet "Gear Guide"
"Check for the EN13595 symbol or ask if the material is the grade required for the injury risk zone."

Oh fuck there is a standard. Everyone get ready to have to replace all your riding gear......

NONONO
20th February 2011, 06:05
Why are ACC concerned if my gloves are color fast?

eliot-ness
20th February 2011, 08:13

Surely no biker would want to be seen wearing slow gloves, whatever the colour.

Usarka
20th February 2011, 08:18

So that when you are forced to wear light colours you can't use that as an excuse.

NONONO
20th February 2011, 08:27
Go faster gloves...surely not!