PDA

View Full Version : Hastings to Wellington via Route 52?

marty
20th February 2011, 15:42
Via Waipukurau and Porangahau...

Google tells me 347kms - is it doable in around 3.5 hours? I'm heading down to Welly this week and are lookingn for a change of scenery

Cheers

James Deuce
20th February 2011, 16:05
Not via those roads unless you push it along a bit and you have to bear in mind that parts of that road are prone to stock and subsidence, as well as rural vehicle syndrome.

Do SH50 and SH2 and you'll do it without trouble, but I can understand the desire to avoid that route.

marty
20th February 2011, 18:41
so here's what i'm thinking - cambridge-mangikino-western bypass-national park-paparapas-palmy-manawatu gorge-masterton-welly. i've got the whole day with a 6.45 ferry. I'll leave about 0600am.

Any suggestions otherwise?

Hitcher
20th February 2011, 18:48
Route 52 through Porongahau and Pongaroa is an absolute peach of a road, but not when there's a decent wind blowing. It's technical and doesn't have many quick bits between Porongahau and Alfredton. That said, I have it on my "Do Again Soon" list. I haven't ridden it on a GSX1250FA yet.

James Deuce
20th February 2011, 18:49
so here's what i'm thinking - cambridge-mangikino-western bypass-national park-paparapas-palmy-manawatu gorge-masterton-welly. i've got the whole day with a 6.45 ferry

If you go Manawatu gorge, go over the one lane bridge on the right, just at the end of the gorge and follow the signs to Mangamaire, then pop briefly out onto SH2 and until you get to Ekatahuna and then turn left at the Southern end of Ekatahuna and follow the signs to Alfredton, then follow the signs to Masterton. Just watch the fuck out for stock on that bit of SH52 between Ekatahuna and Masterton.

KoroJ
20th February 2011, 19:35
Kihikihi-Whakamaru-Western Lake (SH32)-Para's is a sweet ride.

If you need more and feel the urge to throw in a bit of Wairarapa, I'd be more inclined to do the Track, then options are:
Pahiatua-Tane-Alfredton-Te Ore Ore (Masterton) or
Mangamaire-Eketahuna-Kaiparoro-Mauriceville-Loopline (to bypass Masterton).
Both options are nice rides and good roads right now. 2nd option would be a little shorter.

marty
20th February 2011, 20:05
yeah down to turangi/turoa etc is my back yard so that's all good. i'm thinking about doing desert rd then backtracking a bit back towards ohakune and jumping across via fields track to the paraparas, only cause going to whakapapa/turoa is something i do 30 times during the winter.....

any update on fields track condition?

KoroJ
20th February 2011, 21:08
.....any update on fields track condition?

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2011/02/fields-track-ohingaiti.html

banditrider
21st February 2011, 19:10
any update on fields track condition?

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2011/02/fields-track-ohingaiti.html

Thanks Koro. Fields track is in pretty good nick (esp Waiouru end). As the road drops back down towards the Paras (pretty little valley that) there are a few sections where they are repairing the road - read: patches of gravel. There's also at least one corner where a slip has come down but it's mostly cleaned up. There is a digger (and a portaloo if ya need it ;) ) on the side of the road so they must still be working on it.

PS: I love Route 52!

Piccys taken from just above slip (and next to portaloo :sick:)

fleebag4@
20th February 2012, 10:31
How did the trip go? Looking at riding from Wellington to Hastings this weekend to spend some time with the bike and have no idea about Kiwi roads. Want something scenic

Hitcher
20th February 2012, 17:20
Don't ride 52 if it's windy. There are places along its continuum (particularly between Wimbledon and Weber) where excruciatingly strong gusts can be enjoyed.

_Shrek_
25th February 2012, 15:28
How did the trip go? Looking at riding from Wellington to Hastings this weekend to spend some time with the bike and have no idea about Kiwi roads. Want something scenic

then you will need to hop on a boat a come to the main land :whistle: & being from the norf you will need to get your pp stamped & a visa :blink: