PDA

View Full Version : GOOD NEWS??? WELL MAYBE

eliot-ness
22nd June 2005, 10:37
From a 'Bronz' report in 'Kiwi Biker'
The Government Motorcycling Strategy. Feb 2005. extracts

the advantage a two wheeled conveyance offers in reducing congestion.....

The strategy directs the various government groups and agencies involved in roading and transport to take the needs of motor cyclists into account when they are doing their jobs.................

....interesting to note that those compiling the report have obviously looked into the needs of motor cyclists in depth which suggests the place of motor cycles in the roading infrastructure is treated with some respect. For example, engineering is discussed. i.e. not putting manhole covers on the line through a corner on which a motor cyclist would be expected to ride; or looking at the effects of poor or infrequent maintainance.
It even covers provision for parking where motorcyclists can lock their bikes as a way of encouraging bike use....................

The license test for vehicles will include a requirement that drivers recognise the need to look out for motor cyclists................

GREAT NEWS AT LAST?????????? WELL, ER.... NO. tHIS UTOPIA IS NOT N.Z.
THIS IS THE U.K. BELIEVE IT OR NOT. IF THE 'MOTOR CYCLE ACTION' GROUP IN THE U.K. CAN GET RESULTS LIKE THIS WHY CAN'T 'BRONZ' DO IT IN N.Z.

---------------------------
what's right is not always legal, and what's legal is not always right.

placidfemme
22nd June 2005, 12:19
Sounded good until you get to the "UK" bit... They should look into that here... maybe they will... they (most government departments... regardless of what they are for) use other countries reports... so they might bring that in here

Ixion
22nd June 2005, 12:54
From a 'Bronz' report in 'Kiwi Biker'
T..

GREAT NEWS AT LAST?????????? WELL, ER.... NO. tHIS UTOPIA IS NOT N.Z.
THIS IS THE U.K. BELIEVE IT OR NOT. IF THE 'MOTOR CYCLE ACTION' GROUP IN THE U.K. CAN GET RESULTS LIKE THIS WHY CAN'T 'BRONZ' DO IT IN N.Z.

---------------------------
what's right is not always legal, and what's legal is not always right.

Cos MAG have balls. Bronz is a bunch of yattering wimps in comparison.

outlawtorn
22nd June 2005, 14:12
Is there anyway in which we can get BRONZ to pull their finger out and help them push this in front of the right people?

Lou Girardin
22nd June 2005, 15:32
But, but, but, you just can't get angry with the Govt, it ruins your credibility and people might laugh at you.
No, you have to change the system from the inside.
Probably inside some pollies arse.
Besides the Poms are always more aggresive about these things than us. God forbid, they have more passion about issues than us.

XP@
22nd June 2005, 16:05
Lets not berate Bronz just yet.

If the UK has adopted this policy then there is a little possibility that the NZ government may see the light and do the same.

They will however need a push to do so. That is where the Biker groups come in handy. If there is need for numbers in campaigning then the 2100+ members of KB should do their bit.

eliot-ness
22nd June 2005, 16:06
But, but, but, you just can't get angry with the Govt, it ruins your credibility and people might laugh at you.
No, you have to change the system from the inside.
Probably inside some pollies arse.
Besides the Poms are always more aggresive about these things than us. God forbid, they have more passion about issues than us.

I don't think they are more passionate than us, I think they've finally found out where to direct their passion. That's where we could learn from them.. No point in wasting it on forums that only bikers read. Does anyone from BRONZ ever check out K.B. Maybe it would be good to hear their side of the argument'

---------------------------------------

Life is what passes by when you are doing something else.

Ixion
22nd June 2005, 16:19
I don't think they are more passionate than us, I think they've finally found out where to direct their passion. That's where we could learn from them.. No point in wasting it on forums that only bikers read. Does anyone from BRONZ ever check out K.B. Maybe it would be good to hear their side of the argument'

---------------------------------------

Life is what passes by when you are doing something else.

I believe that KBers Mr jackrat and Mr Lee Rusty were involved at a high level in BRONZ , back when it did have balls. In fact I think Mr Lee Rusty started it. But there was some sort of coup de etat and it all fell apart and got taken over by tree hugging fluffy penguins or something.

DingDong
22nd June 2005, 17:40
If they make it too safe (which they wont) it'll stop being fun...

Gremlin
22nd June 2005, 18:31
The license test for vehicles will include a requirement that drivers recognise the need to look out for motor cyclists................
Well, the idea is fantastic, but what about this???

What, some person desperate for a job has to ride out in front of the person and test to see if they see 'em?? Bags not. :no:

Tester: err ma'am you never saw the biker, you fail.
Ma'am: What, you have to be kidding!
Biker: *groan*
Tester: Oh, forgot about you, better call an ambo... :no:

hmm... yes, love to see how this would work...

eliot-ness
22nd June 2005, 19:08
Well, the idea is fantastic, but what about this???

What, some person desperate for a job has to ride out in front of the person and test to see if they see 'em?? Bags not. :no:

Tester: err ma'am you never saw the biker, you fail.
Ma'am: What, you have to be kidding!
Biker: *groan*
Tester: Oh, forgot about you, better call an ambo... :no:

hmm... yes, love to see how this would work...

Aha. That's the cunning bit. The idea is to reduce congestion. So. One driver fails test. One rider off the road for six months. Pommie ingenuity strikes again.

Lou Girardin
23rd June 2005, 08:33

If the UK has adopted this policy then there is a little possibility that the NZ government may see the light and do the same.

They will however need a push to do so. That is where the Biker groups come in handy. If there is need for numbers in campaigning then the 2100+ members of KB should do their bit.

Only if Victoria does it too.

Odin
23rd June 2005, 09:17
I think it'll be about 30-40 years before that will get to NZ. We seem to only just gotten to the stage of building concrete ghettoes as they did in Europe in the 60's. so going on that time scale we have a few issues to get trough before we get to considered driving and "real" diver licenses.

eliot-ness
23rd June 2005, 10:13

A proposition for you guys to kick around.
As XP@ says, 2100+ members, but what about their families, spouses, sons/daughters, partners etc. Anyone with an interest in bikes. We could easily double that figure and we are only one group. Remember this is election year and the main parties are running neck and neck. Every vote is important.
Why not get BRONZ to post a printout version of a letter enquiring about party policy re. motorcycling safety, roading etc. If we sent them individually, not to our local MP, but to the transport minister, and shadow minister a few thousand letters arriving on their desks should make them take notice and make them recognise that we are a significant body of voters. It's often said in this forum that BRONZ don't have teeth. Let's give em some.

Biff
23rd June 2005, 10:19
The fact that a certain British politician charged with looking at road safety in the UK happens to be a part-time biker certainly helps!

outlawtorn
23rd June 2005, 11:28
A proposition for you guys to kick around.
As XP@ says, 2100+ members, but what about their families, spouses, sons/daughters, partners etc. Anyone with an interest in bikes. We could easily double that figure and we are only one group. Remember this is election year and the main parties are running neck and neck. Every vote is important.
Why not get BRONZ to post a printout version of a letter enquiring about party policy re. motorcycling safety, roading etc. If we sent them individually, not to our local MP, but to the transport minister, and shadow minister a few thousand letters arriving on their desks should make them take notice and make them recognise that we are a significant body of voters. It's often said in this forum that BRONZ don't have teeth. Let's give em some.

I like your thinking, lets do this, let's get behind BRONZ instead of bitching about them and lets put some words into action.

Do we have any senior BRONZ members on this site who can help or does anyone know any senior BRONZ members than can help us out?

I have printed out my application form for BRONZ and will (hopefully) be joining at the end of this month, I figure if I join I can help in some small way to get our safety concerns across. In saying that everyone who can and wants to join should do so, the more the merrier, the more the louder.