PDA

View Full Version : Good Bye Road Bike....

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 11:53
DOH

Just when I think everything is looking sooooo good :oi-grr:

Virtually got the licence, have the loan approved to buy the bike I want to buy, sooooo excited that all I can remember of my dreams are motorbike riding ones....

Then I go and get DIC'ed on Sat night.

I am driving between Two Cows & Puke, come across a white SS travelling at bout 90kms, overtake him safely then proceed to cruise through a temp speed zone and not notice the sign because of the medium fog. I had had a bottle of wine with dinner at a freinds place. The rest is history really. Dumbarse. The only highlight of the evening was the Constable and his brilliant attitude, we were able to have a laugh about things, it turns out he gets into off road biking in his time off.

What can I say? Six months no licence, day of work to go to court, thx for coming.

So I might need to revisit stifarms original idea of learning to ride off road first....although I don't fancy breaking bones at 31 years of age, it would be fun, buckets maybe?

Does anyone know how much a day licence costs, I can't seem to find anything on the ltnz site.

justsomeguy
22nd June 2005, 12:15
Well, well....... I don't mind speeders(not runners)..........but I hate those under the influence.....:mad: ......even if it's a little influence......no sympathy from me sorry......:no:

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 12:28
Well, well....... I don't mind speeders(not runners)..........but I hate those under the influence.....:mad: ......even if it's a little influence......no sympathy from me sorry......:no:

Fair enough, not asking for it, cause I hate those people too, never thought I wuold be one of them, but a momentary lapse saw me in the position.

Up until about 3 years ago I had a no alcohol tollerance thing going on, but because we moved so far out of town, I started to say "well one or two would be fine" but very obviously the line is very blurry....I was only a slither over.

surfchick
22nd June 2005, 12:34
gutted you can't get your bike! ah nooooo
but big smack for yo "i'll cruise myself home after a bottle of wine..."
you know that country she'll be right thing with having a few cause it's so hard to get home...NO EXCUSE stay put. sleep with people you shouldn't and wake up in the morning able to buy yo bike....:devil2: :whistle:
but still oooohhhh no sux you can't have your bike

placidfemme
22nd June 2005, 12:39
It's a shame you lost your license... Not so good about being under the influence...

But look at the bright side...

You said you'd got the loan approved? Well now you have 6 months to save as much as possible... then when you can ride again you won't have to take as big a loan as you were going to... less interest... less debt...

Everything happens for a reason, it's how you react to it that makes the difference :)

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 12:44
but big smack for yo "i'll cruise myself home after a bottle of wine..."
you know that country she'll be right thing with having a few cause it's so hard to get home...NO EXCUSE stay put. sleep with people you shouldn't and wake

I didn't drink the whole bottle on my own.....but I should've known better

I would like to point out that I wasn't pissed.....whatever that is...

justsomeguy
22nd June 2005, 12:58
Hey everybody makes mistakes.....:yes:

But at least nothing happened, the copper was a decent fella, not a "pig" cop... and as surfchick said - more time to save for something nicer:ride:

Edit: Forgot she was in a cage

Ixion
22nd June 2005, 12:58
...NO EXCUSE stay put. sleep with people you shouldn't and wake up in the morning able to buy yo bike.....

Mr Stifarms might not be happy with that idea ?? :devil2:

Commiserations. Not condooning DIC but there's over and then there's over.

surfchick
22nd June 2005, 13:31
Mr Stifarms might not be happy with that idea ?? :devil2:

he was probably there and would quite like the idea... :devil2:

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 13:45
Everything happens for a reason, it's how you react to it that makes the difference :)

You are not wrong. Rock on 2006! :Punk:

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 13:52

Yes, he was there. Hmmmm, you'd need to check with him but I think I am naughty enough for him (or at least that's what he says in the throws of it all) :devil2: :love:

stify
22nd June 2005, 13:57

ummm :grouphug: afta some :drinkup: :whistle:

mv.senna
22nd June 2005, 14:09
Hey there Girlygirl.
Wont bother having a go re your DIC - you already know you made a mistake etc..... There's probly a few of us around that are guilty of the same mis-judgement that just weren't caught. As someone else has pointed out, you may be able to use this time to learn to ride off-road or save up for a road bike etc - everything happens for a reason.

I can't help you with the costs of a day licence, but you might be able to get diversion if this is a first time offence. It's worth pursuing, particularly if you were only a sliver over the blood alcohol limit. Clearly if you had more alcohol than blood in your veins, you're probably not going to get too far, but if you can prove that you're usually a responsible citizen etc, and that this is the first ever offence etc.....

Citizen's Advice have a set up where you can make a free appt to see a lawyer. Might be worth a call. Good luck.

stify
22nd June 2005, 14:11
Yes, he was there. Hmmmm:

well kinda in the area anyway....ya know its a nice night to walk home afta a coupla :drinkup: always an adventure aye

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 14:14
Hey there Girlygirl.
I can't help you with the costs of a day licence, but you might be able to get diversion if this is a first time offence. It's worth pursuing, particularly if you were only a sliver over the blood alcohol limit. Clearly if you had more alcohol than blood in your veins, you're probably not going to get too far, but if you can prove that you're usually a responsible citizen etc, and that this is the first ever offence etc.....

Citizen's Advice have a set up where you can make a free appt to see a lawyer. Might be worth a call. Good luck.

Thanks heaps mv-senna, I just saw in another thread that the cost is around $1500.00.

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 14:51
well kinda in the area anyway....ya know its a nice night to walk home afta a coupla :drinkup: always an adventure aye

gotta love ya, 20 odd k/m's power walking down the train tracks has to be better than my effort, although I might have found you should you have been walking on the side of the road.......:yes:

stify
22nd June 2005, 15:00
gotta love ya, 20 odd k/m's power walking down the train tracks has to be better than my effort, although I might have found you should you have been walking on the side of the road.......:yes:

wondered wtf it was i kept trippin ova..... :rofl:
and dat road....bloody dangerous place to walk at nite in da fog an rain
wearing black clothes when ya pissed :wacko:

surfchick
22nd June 2005, 15:06
wondered wtf it was i kept trippin ova..... :rofl:
and dat road....bloody dangerous place to walk at nite in da fog an rain
wearing black clothes when ya pissed :wacko:
i have to warn you but you're not makin da residents of tuakau look to quick!!

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 15:13

Well it is South West of Auckland.....the pace is a little more....you know....not Auckland. :whistle:

stify
22nd June 2005, 15:18

had a feelin we'd both fit right it in being ex westies and all....still it has taken a couple a years of drinkin dat waikato water to git to this level :laugh:

Oakie
22nd June 2005, 15:28
I had had a bottle of wine with dinner at a freinds place.

Just out of interest ... how much of the bottle did you have? We have a small glass of wine at the end of work on Fridays and sometimes it stretches to 2 small glasses. I've always wondered how close that second glass is getting me to the limit. :nono:

Motu
22nd June 2005, 15:30
Sat night on a country road is not good odds for evading the breath cops.You'd be better off completly pissed on a whole bottle of wine on the streets of Auckland in day time traffic...they wouldn't look at you twice

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 15:36
Sat night on a country road is not good odds for evading the breath cops.You'd be better off completly pissed on a whole bottle of wine on the streets of Auckland in day time traffic...they wouldn't look at you twice

True. :yes:

I got pinged cause I was travelling far too fast for the temp speed zone 50kms(which I could never have seen in the fog) by an undercover and as I understand it he had no choice but to take me back to the station to check my blood alcohol (he didn't have anything in the car) because of the speed I was inadvertenly travelling over the limit.....

DOH!

Nevermind, back to the zero tollerence idea me thinks.....that worked.

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 15:42
Just out of interest ... how much of the bottle did you have? We have a small glass of wine at the end of work on Fridays and sometimes it stretches to 2 small glasses. I've always wondered how close that second glass is getting me to the limit. :nono:

As I understand it it's all about a number of different things, your body mass, how much you have eaten that day and while you were eating.

I had three glasses, but ate a roast chicken meal and had cheesecake too!!
Was at my friends for about 4 hours, not sure what you would call the glasses, probably medium.

stify
22nd June 2005, 15:48
bollocks aside i'm guna have to think a lot more about me ridin,esp now it looks like we guna be a one licence family for a while,and maybe look at alternative bikes/off road/buckets etc 4 me to get me fix(damn that common sense thing voice in me head) :weird:
tis just as a big awake up call for me also....and its something i never really had to think too much about before as been one of the lucky one's to date.

now girlygirl an me gota save up 4 the large contribution da govt guna be wantin :crybaby:

ManDownUnder
22nd June 2005, 15:51
As I understand it it's all about a number of different things, your body mass, how much you have eaten that day and while you were eating.

I had three glasses, but ate a roast chicken meal and had cheesecake too!!
Was at my friends for about 4 hours, not sure what you would call the glasses, probably medium.

Yeah - but you're a wally for doing it. No sympathy from me either, but then it looks like you're not looking for it... good on ya for putting your hand up and saying you were wrong.

MDU

_Gina_
22nd June 2005, 16:04
Yeah - but you're a wally for doing it. No sympathy from me either, but then it looks like you're not looking for it... good on ya for putting your hand up and saying you were wrong.

MDU

Well, no point in trying to pretend it's something it's not. I figure it's a wake up call, although an ill timed one. :yes:

I am really lucky not to have had my licence taken off me on the spot (must send letter of thanks to the Constable, he went out of his way for me)

I also know I am lucky to have the support of someone who is willing to figure out another way for me to do what I want to do (riding that is) as I had just written it off as possible for what ever period of time I will lose my licence for.

Da Bird
23rd June 2005, 16:07
Ring around a few lawyers when you are looking to arrange a limited licence. We did an excercise a couple of years ago (to find out prices) and prices ranged from $950 to $3000.00.

There is a 28 day stand down period which needs to pass before you can apply.

BC.

Biff
23rd June 2005, 16:10
Stupid, stupid, dangerous, stupid.
But I've been there myself, just over the limit when I was 18. 12 months ban (in the UK). :whistle:

Only once in my entire life have I ever drunk any alcohol and ridden a bike, and that was a stubbie of CD about 3 months ago. Never again, I really felt the alcomohol.

Lou Girardin
23rd June 2005, 16:14
[QUOTE=girlygirl]I didn't drink the whole bottle on my own.....but I should've known better

I would like to point out that I wasn't pissed.....whatever that is...[/QUOTE

No, you don't have to be pissed to be over. But that little does surprise me.
You must have small body mass. (Polite way of saying it) Did you have the option of giving a blood sample? It's often worth doing.

I just noticed that you said he took you back to the station for a breath test. Did he not administer a roadside test?
If not, were you arrested and taken to the station? If so, what charge?
It's starting to sound fishy. I'd see the Citizens advice lawyer if I were you.

DEATH_INC.
23rd June 2005, 16:19
Bugger eh?That sucks.....
It's Funny how you always get sprung just over,yet heaps of clowns you know get plastered and get away with it regularaly....
I'm with the others save up and get something better after your time....

monkey99
23rd June 2005, 16:22
yes and we all know the tolerance levels shown in the UK...mostly nil due to the insane group of courier bikers huh ;) well in all fairness I have had a similar experience girlygirl...scared me straight...neva gonna do dat again! I had a few (ie: 2) glasses of red with a dinner party..pissin with rain and got all my wet weather gear on...got quizzed by a few about my sobriety.. we even did some co-ordination tests!! but half way home realised i was not all there...neva been so scared..till this day..choose ya passion, ride to live live to ride or sit ya ass down and drink and laugh with others equally rolled!!

Two Smoker
23rd June 2005, 19:22
- everything happens for a reason.

Why did i crash my 600??? Still trying to work out the good bits of that...

Work licence costs around $1000-$1500 (ring your lawyer or go get one)

Beemer
4th July 2005, 11:07
I had a scare many years ago and it put me on the straight and narrow ever since! I had gone out to dinner with a friend and over a three course meal we'd had a bottle of wine between us. I'd gone back to their place and had one whisky (a double, and neat) and when I left there at about 1am, I got pulled over at a compulsory breath testing road block just north of the Terrace Tunnel. I wasn't worried, because it had been over several hours and I had eaten a decent meal, but I failed the initial breath test. I was so scared, but the first cop was great. He said it was only an indication that I had been drinking, not how much I had drunk. I had to pull over and have another breath test (blow in the bag type, shows how long ago it was!) and that cop was horrible. He said "you've obviously been drinking" to which I replied that I had shared a bottle of wine with dinner and then had a whisky about four hours earlier. He then said "and you obviously think you are fit to drive" - and I explained that I would not have driven if I thought I was not capable of doing so. You could tell he thought I was the lowest of the low, but thankfully I passed the second breath test and was free to go.

It gave me the biggest scare of my life and I have always been very careful of how much I drink when I know I have to drive. Now, I will have one or two small glasses of wine or a beer with food if I am driving, and nothing if I am riding. I had one beer once when on the bike and found I didn't feel as alert as normal, so I don't risk it now.

Your size and the amount of body fat you are carrying makes a huge difference to the amount you can safely drink when driving. Fat absorbs alcohol quickly, which is why men and women of similar size will be affected by alcohol quite differently as women usually have more body fat. Sad but true!

I don't have any sympathy for those who are done for being over the limit, but I certainly can see how easily it can happen after my experience. I was a sales rep at the time and if I lost my licence, I would have most likely lost my job too. Thankfully my husband doesn't drink, so whenever we go out I don't have to worry about driving home if I want a drink or two!

unhingedlizard
4th July 2005, 11:41
when i was young and stupider I rode home on an MT5 after getting completely trashed with some friends. Up in scotland in the back of beyond and snowing. How i got home without crashing i will never know. Now im strictly a no drinks when driving kinda chap.

crashe
4th July 2005, 14:19
hey when you go to court....
Please get your laywer to mention that it was a "TEMP 50km" sign and that it was also foggy on that night. So that there was no way that you could see it... as the fog was so low that night...

When did the sign get put up there.... was it there when you left home?
If it went up afterwards then thats the last thing you would be expecting to see...

You may just get a heavy fine and loose some demerit points.

Yep good on ya for putting your hand up and saying what ya did.
But I guess you have now learnt a big lesson...

marty
4th July 2005, 14:56
hey when you go to court....
Please get your laywer to mention that it was a "TEMP 50km" sign and that it was also foggy on that night. So that there was no way that you could see it... as the fog was so low that night...

When did the sign get put up there.... was it there when you left home?
If it went up afterwards then thats the last thing you would be expecting to see...

You may just get a heavy fine and loose some demerit points.

probably not a good idea to say it was too foggy to see the 50k sign - probably shouldn't have been going 100 if it was THAT foggy....

i'm not sure about arguing that you didn't expect to see the sign - you shouldn't expect anything when driving (especially when riding) - a classic case of assumption, makes for a dangerous cocktail.

diversion won't be offered - never is for EBA, as it has a MINUMUM penalty (as opposed to a maximum one - but it also has one of those too)

the 'cost' of a limited licence, which can be applied for once 28 days of your disqualification has passed, is around $1500, depending on your lawyer, and how much appealing he/she has to do. most of it goes to the lawyer, i think it's about $50 to lay the application.

spudchucka
4th July 2005, 15:12
I just noticed that you said he took you back to the station for a breath test. Did he not administer a roadside test?
If not, were you arrested and taken to the station? If so, what charge?
It's starting to sound fishy. I'd see the Citizens advice lawyer if I were you.
There is no need to administer a road side test if for whatever reason a testing device is not available. All the cop needs to do is form good cause to suspect that the driver has consumed alcohol in order to require the driver to accompany the officer to a police station. There is no need to arrest the driver in order to get them back to the police station. It doesn't sound fishy at all.

marty
4th July 2005, 15:39
a road side breath screening test is the norm, unless a machine/bag is not available, in which case, if reasonable grounds are established (ie 'i've drunk a bottle of wine') then a 'requirement to accompany' is then issued, not an arrest. that only comes about upon a refusal to accompany. the actual EVIDENTIAL test is carried out at the station, or on the bus.

but you already knew that, drawing on your vast relevant experience, didn't you lou?

_Gina_
5th July 2005, 17:23

Thanks Crashe :yes: I have learn't a HUGE lesson, I go to court tomorrow, will post and let you all know the outcome. I am mentally preparing for losing my licence, as it is apparently manditory nowadays, unless special circumstances are enough to sway the judge, I will be presenting special circumstances and have my fingers crossed.

Gg.

_Gina_
5th July 2005, 17:25
All the cop needs to do is form good cause to suspect that the driver has consumed alcohol in order to require the driver to accompany the officer to a police station.

You are right on there, he asked me and I told the truth, thereby requiring him to take me back for a breath test.
:yes: :yes:

No point in lying is there?? Well, not in my experience!

Zapf
28th July 2005, 00:24
Why did i crash my 600??? Still trying to work out the good bits of that...

Work licence costs around $1000-$1500 (ring your lawyer or go get one)

I had that reply from a lawyer once, and I was asking him to defending me in court.... he said " don't bother, just admitt it and get a work licence... for like 1.5k.." naturally I walked out the door and defended myself. and walked out of court laughting. people have to remember that lawyers are NOT the law.

SDU
2nd August 2005, 17:41
DOH
So I might need to revisit stifarms original idea of learning to ride off road first....although I don't fancy breaking bones at 31 years of age, it would be fun, buckets maybe?

Bummer of a situation you're in Girlygirl.
I Reckon you should ride off road in the meantime. You can learn so much trail riding and it is awesome fun. :yes:
I learnt to ride off- road in my thirties and I still go out trail riding when I can. Love it. I have crashed heaps and (probably asking for it now) not managed to break my brittle old bones yet -You can break your bones road riding or even just falling over walking if its on the cards.
Make the most of a shit situation. :ride:
Good luck in court.
Cheers
SDU

CPB
29th August 2005, 11:07
I figure it's a wake up call, although an ill timed one. :yes:

...sometimes the ill timed wake up calls are in fact timed perfectly. As has been said, everything is for a reason...not that you need me spouting off, sounds as though you're only to aware of how this game all works...