PDA

View Full Version : Christchurch: Back your data up!

SMOKEU
26th February 2011, 21:13
I know that your computers are probably your last priority at the moment, but I suggest that you make backups of all your important data onto DVDs or Blu Ray ASAP as the aftershocks are likely to cause damage to hard drives.

rwh
27th February 2011, 00:04
I know that your computers are probably your last priority at the moment, but I suggest that you make backups of all your important data onto DVDs or Blu Ray ASAP as the aftershocks are likely to cause damage to hard drives.

Hmm. I can't say I'd consider it likely that an aftershock would directly damage a hard drive. But if the computer falls off a desk, or something falls on it, or you simply can't get to it, then yes you've got problems. Make sure you take those backups somewhere off site.

Richard

Oakie
15th March 2011, 20:28
If the aftershock causes a decent shake to the PC or a power outage while writing to the hard drive then it may cause problems.

Still, we all know that the backups should have been done BEFORE the quake don't we? I did my last back up on 18 February .... 2010

AllanB
15th March 2011, 20:56
Good point - been busy with work stuff,but forgotten personal.

Cheers

CookMySock
16th March 2011, 20:09
If the aftershock causes a decent shake to the PC or a power outage while writing to the hard drive then it may cause problems. It shouldn't. The function of a modern filesystem is to prevent complete destruction of said filesystem even if you lose the data you are actually writing.

If you PC falls on the floor that might be different.

SMOKEU
17th March 2011, 19:59
It shouldn't. The function of a modern filesystem is to prevent complete destruction of said filesystem even if you lose the data you are actually writing.

If you PC falls on the floor that might be different.

St John only lost 2 of their 400GB server drives in the big shake. They have a big server room!

Blackshear
20th March 2011, 20:03
Apparently power outages are worse.
Tried getting my drivers license re-issued, but they lost half their shit from a power outage.
A POWER OUTAGE
NO REDUNDANT BACKUPS
WHY
NO
BACKUPS
FUCK
/rant
But yes, even though modern HDD's have built in protection from shakes/drops, it really does pay to have an offsite backup, regardless.

Oakie
22nd March 2011, 20:35
I did my last back up on 18 February .... 2010

All better now. Did a backup of data on Sunday night. 800mb.
Now got to go and get a 8gb flash drive to backup 7.5gb of bloody photos.

HenryDorsetCase
22nd March 2011, 20:39
Ive got backups up the wazoo, but they're all useless to me because I either have to reconfigure a new server, then buy a new office full of PCs to run on it, or wait with my hand on my cock some more till the Nazis at civil defence allow me access to my building.

Backups are important, sure, but not the be all and end all.