PDA

View Full Version : Canadians Versus Americans

Maximus
23rd June 2005, 08:14
Had this emailed to me this morning, and found it V funny. Sorry if its been posted before.
Also, apologies in advance to any Americans - please dont be offended!!

This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US Naval ship and the Canadians, off the coast of Newfoundland, in October 1995.

CANADIANS: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South, to avoid collision.

AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North, to avoid a collision.

CANADIANS: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

AMERICANS: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CANADIANS: Negative. I say again, you will have to divert your course.

AMERICANS: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER U.S. LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, SAY AGAIN, THAT'S 15 DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTERMEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

CANADIANS: We are a lighthouse. Your call.

placidfemme
23rd June 2005, 08:19
Heard that one before but always me laugh :)

TonyB
23rd June 2005, 08:20
Oh god! My sides hurt! I'm gonna post that on the EXUP Brotherhood site.....the place is full of Americans :devil2:

Maximus
23rd June 2005, 08:29
Oh god! My sides hurt! I'm gonna post that on the EXUP Brotherhood site.....the place is full of Americans :devil2:

:rofl: :whistle: :rofl:

Hmm, im trying my best to be "pc" here . . . .

sels1
23rd June 2005, 08:31
That one is years old, but still funny. It started off as just one ship, (almost believable) and the story has now expanded to a whole fleet (all those Navel vessels and no one looking at the radar - I dont think so....)

TonyB
23rd June 2005, 08:40
Sels- my mother in law has a life style block nearish to the flight path for Chch airport, which the US use as their base for their Antarctic operations. Numerous times I have seen Hercules and Starlifters line up for a landing at Wigram, then realise their mistake just before landing, do a u-turn, fly at very low level over Hornby and right over MIL's house before wobbling off to land at Chch Airport.... need I say more?

Man, when a Starlifter flys at very low level over your house it's like being in a fricken earthquake!

sels1
23rd June 2005, 09:01
Sels- my mother in law has a life style block nearish to the flight path for Chch airport, which the US use as their base for their Antarctic operations. Numerous times I have seen Hercules and Starlifters line up for a landing at Wigram, then realise their mistake just before landing, do a u-turn, fly at very low level over Hornby and right over MIL's house before wobbling off to land at Chch Airport.... need I say more?

Man, when a Starlifter flys at very low level over your house it's like being in a fricken earthquake!

Now that I do believe! I work at airports quite a bit and have heard a few good stories like that over the years

TonyB
23rd June 2005, 09:26
Now that I do believe! I work at airports quite a bit and have heard a few good stories like that over the years
Can't confirm this, but I have been told one of them lined up for an approach on Memorial Ave once...

Matt Bleck
23rd June 2005, 10:10
Thats :rofl: classic I'm gunna send it to every yank I know

Maximus
23rd June 2005, 10:43
Thats :rofl: classic I'm gunna send it to every yank I know

So I thought I'd send this around the office - It appears that the Americans that I work with don't appreciate this :weird: . . . . the Canadians however are a different story!! :rofl:

SPORK
23rd June 2005, 17:05
I love Canadians! Well, the English ones... :bleh:

onearmedbandit
23rd June 2005, 17:52
Bullshit detector (http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthse.htm)

Whoo hoo, I get to piss on someones parade!

Sorry, couldn't help it. :devil2: :devil2:

erik
23rd June 2005, 22:59
I've got a video of that, I think it was made into an ad by some swedish company. You can get the video here:
http://uk.download.yahoo.com/ne/fu/attachments/captainwin.wmv

Except it's set in the Irish sea and it's an Irish lighthouse.