PDA

View Full Version : Safety vests

placidfemme
23rd June 2005, 09:30
I was just wondering... how many riders actually wear those reflective yellow/orange safety vests? And if so... do you think they actually help you?

I was given 2 when I brought my ZXR. Never wore them and so I gave them to my partners father who rides a Mountain Bike to work...

Eurodave
23rd June 2005, 09:35
Id like to wear one but Im worried that someone might see me!!!! :rofl:

vifferman
23rd June 2005, 09:37
They work best if they make you like like a traffic cop. For that you'd also need a white bike and helmet.

Ixion
23rd June 2005, 09:38
Yes. And they do work. People notice them. Of course only some people. Others would not notice a nuclear bomb explosion under their noses. And some of the ones who do notice will then ignore me anyway. But it cuts down the odds.

I actually conducted a wee experiment with the aid of Mrs Ixion. Our deck has a good birds eye view of surrounding roads in several directions. I rode around the neighbourhood wearing no vest, red vest and yellow vest, in turn, a number of times, whilst Mrs Ixion watched and noted when and at point she noticed me in the traffic.

The vests were much more noticeable, and yellow better than red.

But, usual caveat, whatever you do or wear assume that noone at all has seen you

placidfemme
23rd June 2005, 09:39
Yeah... I've only ever seen one biker wearing a vest... and it wasn't really that noticeable... I noticed him more due to the fact that I'm a biker... and as bikers do... we tune into our "bike-dar" (same as gay-dar but different lol)

XP@
23rd June 2005, 09:53
Yup, I wear one, but it only comes out in winter or on night rides.

you still get some plonkers coming up from behind you.
I have a suspision that some of them see red, after following you for 10 km's then realising that you ain't a cop.

I desparatly need a new vest though, mins is toast coloured. But I can't find a decent one. The velcro ones don't work, the zip up ones are ok, if you remember to attach the zip to your jacket (i use a clip with a bit of cord attached. But the design of the full vest just catches too much wind. The cycle ones are too flimsy.

Does anyone know if you can get one specifically designed for bikes?
I imagine something with:
* just the reflective stuff, set up like a backpack, but without the pack.
* lots of reflectuve stuff high up so it is visible over a tail box.
* if you come off it will fall apart not catch on something and strangle you

It would also be nice to have some more reflective stuff near the hands. My indicator gave up last night and in the dark hand signals are usless.

Odin
23rd June 2005, 09:57
Sorry... it might be safer but dam, I'll never wear one.

Anyway, i don't think many more cagers will notice you and its really the ones that wouldent notice you if you were on naked with flames out your ars that you have to worry about.

I like black bike, black leather and that but do have my headlight on at all times.

Matt Bleck
23rd June 2005, 10:03
I have one but it doesn't go with my boots! :clap:

zadok
23rd June 2005, 10:07
No. The closest I come is having silver reflective lines as part of my jacket design.

placidfemme
23rd June 2005, 10:10
Yup, I wear one, but it only comes out in winter or on night rides.

you still get some plonkers coming up from behind you.
I have a suspision that some of them see red, after following you for 10 km's then realising that you ain't a cop.

I desparatly need a new vest though, mins is toast coloured. But I can't find a decent one. The velcro ones don't work, the zip up ones are ok, if you remember to attach the zip to your jacket (i use a clip with a bit of cord attached. But the design of the full vest just catches too much wind. The cycle ones are too flimsy.

I imagine something with:
* just the reflective stuff, set up like a backpack, but without the pack.
* lots of reflectuve stuff high up so it is visible over a tail box.
* if you come off it will fall apart not catch on something and strangle you

It would also be nice to have some more reflective stuff near the hands. My indicator gave up last night and in the dark hand signals are usless.

I've never heard of any specifically (sp) for bikers... But I'm sure someone will know someone who could possibly make them... Then with all the bikers in-put as to what would be best (design wise) we might be able to place a small order (I doubt many bikers would want one... even if it was made specially for them).

I personally don't like looking like a glow stick on two wheels... but I prefer to ride at night when going on leisure (sp) rides, so if this could be organised I'd be happy to front up some $$ for two.

vifferman
23rd June 2005, 10:11
No. The closest I come is having silver reflective lines as part of my jacket design.
Yeah, mine has that too, as do my boots (including panels that look grey, but are reflective).

If you don't find something, how about reflective stickers on your helmet, and attaching something reflective to your jacket (armbands, sash, sew on some reflective material)?

Odin
23rd June 2005, 10:34
If you don't find something, how about reflective stickers on your helmet,

As far as i understand the glue on some stickers can weaken the helmet so just be carefull with that option. :nono:

justsomeguy
23rd June 2005, 10:46
Frosty and co had a nice set with them at Taupo and it stayed on at the race track.......

placidfemme
23rd June 2005, 10:47
Yeah, the reason why I ask this question... is because my partner and I don't have a computer at home... and I have access to the net at work... so I'm compiling a document (80 pages so far) on articles and tips for bikers off different web sites, and this one article said that a good thing to do when going on group rides, is to have the leader and the last biker wearing safety reflective vests... which got me to wondering how many bikers even wear them...

Judging by the results so far... not many.

P.S. Once I've finished my little document, I'll post it on here for anyone else to print out if they like...

sAsLEX
23rd June 2005, 11:00
If you don't find something, how about reflective stickers on your helmet, and attaching something reflective to your jacket (armbands, sash, sew on some reflective material)?

yeah my fog city came with some little reflective stickers so i chucked them on the helmet, prob makes bugger all difference though

N4CR
23rd June 2005, 11:05
Yeah I wear mine just like XP....
At night or in crappppy weather.

I got mine from 'Canterbury' or wtf that sporty brand is. Its a police regulation XXL (so I can fit it over my bag ;D) and it has awesome stripes and yellow bits :D.

Works well when splitting as it starts to get dark (>5pm) and at night it dont always help unless lights are on you or you have some ambient light source (moon etc). Well... no shit its reflective :rofl:

edit: thats if they see you at all huh :weird: . If they dont see you during the day normally it wont matter if you have a hi-vis jacket on etc... at night its better though.

John
23rd June 2005, 11:07
Dont want it getting stuck round the mirror and getting draged, use tape if your going to do anything. (IMO)

placidfemme
23rd June 2005, 11:30
What does IMO mean? (have seen it a few times)

FEINT
23rd June 2005, 11:50

In My Opinion

I probably wear one.... so that the bugs won't get on to my leathers... :D

I saw Paco wear an orange T-shirt, that was pretty good idea. Keeps the leather clean and more visible than black.

I think the safety vest would be good once it gets dark.

I think Nak1d wore one on the Kaiaua ride. I think it catches more attention. IMO :whistle: :whistle:

XP@
23rd June 2005, 12:03
Yeah, the reason why I ask this question... is because my partner and I don't have a computer at home... and I have access to the net at work... so I'm compiling a document (80 pages so far) on articles and tips for bikers off different web sites, and this one article said that a good thing to do when going on group rides, is to have the leader and the last biker wearing safety reflective vests... which got me to wondering how many bikers even wear them...

Judging by the results so far... not many.

P.S. Once I've finished my little document, I'll post it on here for anyone else to print out if they like...
The document sounds GREAT!!!

The first, last and other organisers (wih really big groups) usually wear vests so that other riders recognise them. This is good practice for organised rides (should probably be adopted for the noob rides).

Have you read Jim2's threads on the group riding etiquet? if you havent already, PM him because he has done heaps in the area too.

Looking forward to reading the doc :-)

vifferman
23rd June 2005, 12:23
As FEINT said, "In My Opinion"
There's also: IMHO (in my humble opinion), and IMNSHO (not so humble).
Most don't appear on here, as we have smilies and whatnot, but you may also see IIRC (If I Remember/Recall Correctly), LOL (Laugh Out Loud) and ROTFL (Roll On The Floor Laughing) and LMFAO (Laugh My F*$%ing Ass/Arse Off).

placidfemme
23rd June 2005, 12:36
The document sounds GREAT!!!

The first, last and other organisers (wih really big groups) usually wear vests so that other riders recognise them. This is good practice for organised rides (should probably be adopted for the noob rides).

Have you read Jim2's threads on the group riding etiquet? if you havent already, PM him because he has done heaps in the area too.

Looking forward to reading the doc :-)

The document is just the basic's mostly. Covers things such as... Braking, Cornering, Carrying passengers, Counter Steer, Riding Gear, Riding attitudes, Surfaces, Weather conditions, Group Riding, Tips for riding in city traffic, Bike to bike hand signals, day/night riding, overtaking, punctures, towing, tips for ferry travelling, acceleration, Feet (which foot to put down when stopping and why), Gears.

And all that is just in the first 63 pages... I havn't even finished reading ALL of it, and still have about 30+ web sites to look through for more information. Once I have all the information I can be bothered reading (lol) I'll edit it and put all the different articles on the same topic's together one after the other, so it's not all broken up and all over the place. I have also Added the URL of each article before the article so if for any reason I want to check up on anything I'll know where I found it... And also if anyone else reads it they know where it came from...

Can you tell I get bored at work?

And thank you for the explanations on IMO and those other words :)

XP@
23rd June 2005, 12:59
The document is just the basic's mostly. Covers things such as... Braking, Cornering, Carrying passengers, Counter Steer, Riding Gear, Riding attitudes, Surfaces, Weather conditions, Group Riding, Tips for riding in city traffic, Bike to bike hand signals, day/night riding, overtaking, punctures, towing, tips for ferry travelling, acceleration, Feet (which foot to put down when stopping and why), Gears.

Well... sounds Awsome!!
Darn, can't add more rep's to you...

DingDong
23rd June 2005, 19:23
Id like to wear one but Im worried that someone might see me!!!! :rofl:

I feel the same way... :oi-grr:

placidfemme
24th June 2005, 07:45
So its proberly safe to say that most bikers don't wear them...

So far the reasons I've gathered for this are:

1. Ruins the "hard" biker image...
2. The vests are not suitable for bikes, they are designed for other uses... therefore too big, baggy or hard to adjust... not enough reflective material and so forth

which are both understandable... I thought more bikers would wear them than the one (and only one) that I've seen...

bear
24th June 2005, 08:16
I've got a running jacket that has reflective stripes on it that I wear when riding in the dark (goes over the top of the MB jacket). Feel a bit safer with it on.

placidfemme
24th June 2005, 09:38
I've got a running jacket that has reflective stripes on it that I wear when riding in the dark (goes over the top of the MB jacket). Feel a bit safer with it on.

Yeah night riding is the only time I'd really consider wearing one... :) Good on you for wearing one though :)

sels1
24th June 2005, 10:02
Yeah night riding is the only time I'd really consider wearing one... :)

My RJAYS cordura jacket (and most makes do I think) has several reflective panels that show up quite well at night...see no point in covering with a vest that does the same thing

placidfemme
24th June 2005, 10:17
My RJAYS cordura jacket (and most makes do I think) has several reflective panels that show up quite well at night...see no point in covering with a vest that does the same thing

Yeah I have an R-Jays Cordura (Kevlar?) jacket and pants, but it only has two very thin reflective lines down the back of it... they do glow really well at night (I've been riding behind my partner at night, she has the same jacket just a different colour to mine...)

My issue is that when I ride... 90% of the time I have a back pack on (a MotoDry bike back pack), which again only has a round logo/brand name in reflective material, and one reflective line...

dhunt
24th June 2005, 12:35
Yes. And they do work. People notice them. Of course only some people. Others would not notice a nuclear bomb explosion under their noses. And some of the ones who do notice will then ignore me anyway. But it cuts down the odds.

I actually conducted a wee experiment with the aid of Mrs Ixion. Our deck has a good birds eye view of surrounding roads in several directions. I rode around the neighbourhood wearing no vest, red vest and yellow vest, in turn, a number of times, whilst Mrs Ixion watched and noted when and at point she noticed me in the traffic.

But, usual caveat, whatever you do or wear assume that noone at all has seen you
I would be interested to know if there is any real stats showing this. I would say it probably would help but the article below would sort of controdict this.

NZMSC instructors wear black leathers for both practical and, believe it or not, safety reasons. Firstly, on a machine where it is easy to get one's clothes black with oil or traffic grime, black is a parcatical colour.

Secondly, NZMSC study indicates that black leathers tend to trigger a "fear" reaction in motorists, giving black leathers a resultant higher conspicuity value than "wimpy" colour.

If the rider's bike is a light colour and the headlight or running light is in use, the motorist's subconscious appears to see the machine, register the "threat" of the black leathers, and prompt the driver's conscious into "seeing" the oncoming rider.

Ah, the complexity of crash avoidance psychology...!

Ixion
24th June 2005, 13:20
I think the "people notice threat" thing is real. When we look around whilst driving we see heaps of stuff that we don't actually take much notice of. Buildings, parked cars, etc. As the article said, people take notice of things that make them go "ohoh - what's that DANGER" Even if they then go "Oh, no it's OK"

I tried red vest, and yellow. The yellow was both more visible from a distance AND I noticed a definate increase in cager perception over the red. Based on watching their reaction as I approached . No vest, as often as not I'd see their eys glance over me, but no visible reaction. With the red vest I usually got a glance and pause. But with the yellow it was much more definately a glance pause focus . You could see their eyes "snap to". You culd almost see the little wheels in their head start up, and the steam come out their ears with the effort"Oh something's THERE. Gee IT'S COMING TOWARD ME. Wonder what I should do"

Of course, some people, nothing can help.

EDIT. Effect of yellow vest probably only applies in Auckland.

madboy
24th June 2005, 13:45
I think the vests are a great idea. I see them worn by the odd biker down here, and they seem to work really well at alerting me to them. Since I'm a biker and like living, my skills at recognising hazards are probably higher than the average cager. In saying that, I personally would not wear one. If you can't see a bright green motorcycle with it's lights on, you are beyond help.

oldenuf
24th June 2005, 14:25
I never used to use a safety vest until a little old lady went thru a Give Way sign in Papakura..and T Boned me! Claimed she "Didnt see me" and I didnt "have my lights on".I then informed said old lady that the rfs light is permantly on while in use..numerous witness's couldnt believe that she did it in broad daylight,one lady in particular even quoted to her "remember..look out for motorbikes..?" I then started wearing a yellow vest for days and ive got a really good waterproof orange vest lined in polarfleece for night or heavy rain..so far ive had no further problems..touch wood!

XP@
24th June 2005, 14:29
Can anyone find a study to the contrary?

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abridged/328/7444/857
Results Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%). After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk. Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.73, 0.53 to 1.00). No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle. If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.

Conclusions Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.

Beemer
24th June 2005, 17:24
Someone, can't remember who, convinced me I had to have one so I duly bought one. Never worn it in daytime and only wore it riding home from work when I was finishing work in Wellington at 9.30pm and riding home to Lower Hutt. Not sure it made any difference (still got idiots pulling across in front of me) but I think people who DID see it did think I was a cop to start with - and yes, they aren't impressed to find they've just slowed for a rider!

Apart from that time, it's been in my drawer and only got pulled out for my partner to use when leading his club's sessions at Manfeild open days. I tend to notice them on the road and think "dork" so I don't think I'll be wearing mine again! As someone said the other day, if people don't notice cops on bikes with police plastered all over them and flashing lights and sirens, what difference will a coloured vest make to the rest of us?

The Preacher
24th June 2005, 21:05
Never worn one and never will: end of discussion for me :stoogie:

Wellyman
24th June 2005, 21:10
I remeber when I first started racing I was forced to wear a bright orange vest and somebody still managed to give me a small tap on the back wheel. I no longer belive in those things.

crashe
24th June 2005, 21:28
Ok I want a cop reflective vest, you know the lime green one with the "H" on the back to wear over my jacket. Cos they really stand out at night time. :ride:

But according to so many, we cant get them no more. :no:

The lime greeen stands out more than the orange vest does IMHO.

I have thin stripes on my jacket which is great until I put my backpack on and then no one can see them.

Someone I know has reflective tape on the back of her helmet and I was following her one night and it really stood out.

MadDuck
24th June 2005, 21:28
I dont wear one all the time BUT we decided to get a batch printed up for the WIMA gals and they sure do stand out. We have an issue with the illuminated strips fading and falling off but it seems to be a printing flaw.

Last charity run was for the Breast Cancer cause and they rocked. You can get these vests very reasonably at your local PlaceMakers store. I cant see it being a KB uniform of choice but they have their place.

Jackrat
24th June 2005, 22:40
I see a lot of road workers are getting padded wet weather vests that look very suitable for bike use.Protector Safty would probably be the place to look.I have a couple of yellow ones that I wear at work that would also be good on a bike.They do up with press domes.

Ixion
24th June 2005, 22:44
I see a lot of road workers are getting padded wet weather vests that look very suitable for bike use.Protector Safty would probably be the place to look.I have a couple of yellow ones that I wear at work that would also be good on a bike.They do up with press domes.

Industrial clothing place in Cavendish Drive Wiri. Can't remember the name, but it's on the right down the far end from the motorway. Every sort of protective/reflective/industrial stuff you could imagine. Racks and racks of the stuff. About opposite Repco, that's how I noticed it.

N4CR
24th June 2005, 22:44
Padded ones are made by Canterbury NZ. Down in CHCH.

They are police regulation ones like mine, I have an XXL thin fabric (no padding) one so it goes over my bag. Thin ones dry out VERY quickly.

Apparently Canterbury has the contract or something for the coppas.

XP@
27th June 2005, 10:14
This looks something like what I would want...

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/images//products/large/refh.jpg

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=2360

Eurygnomes
27th June 2005, 10:51
That sounds like an amazingly good resource PlacidFemme, I get bored at work too...hence loitering here! :)

And who was it who wanted stuff on their arms? What about some of those 'oh-so-sexy' trouser-puller-inners that people who use pushbikes sometimes wear to keep their trousers out of the chain/gears? They're velcro-affairs and they're highly reflective.

This morning on the way to work I saw a pushbiker with THREE of those flashing red LED's on their back - VERY VERY visible (to the point of annoyance). Are they legal for mbikers? (haven't yet read roadcode!)

scumdog
27th June 2005, 11:47
I have seen quite a few touring bikes with the riders/pillions wearing flouro vest down this way.

What I HAVE noticed is that a lot of the time the vests are obscured by large fairings/screens at the front and by large top-boxes/packs etc at the rear.

Also noticed the odd sports-bike type rider with them - trouble is the riding position of those types of bikes mean the rider is a whole lot less than vertical ergo the visibility is compromised quite a bit.

Can't do any harm to wear one, especially on the open road but don't put too much faith on other road users actually seeing it.

Lights on combined with running lights is a good way to go, you can't forget/leave THEM at home!

scumdog
27th June 2005, 11:49
That sounds like an amazingly good resource PlacidFemme, I get bored at work too...hence loitering here! :)

And who was it who wanted stuff on their arms? What about some of those 'oh-so-sexy' trouser-puller-inners that people who use pushbikes sometimes wear to keep their trousers out of the chain/gears? They're velcro-affairs and they're highly reflective.

In the old days they were known by the very original name of....bicycle clips!!

Eurygnomes
27th June 2005, 11:55
I knew there'd be some technical name for them thingamejigs.

skidz
27th June 2005, 11:57
Yeah, I had to wear one so that on our poker ride, the rest of the bikers knew that I was leading the ride, and not to go past. I wouldn't wear one in any other case. The boys might call me a gay basted.

scumdog
27th June 2005, 11:58
gay basted :motu:

Ixion
27th June 2005, 12:04
In the old days they were known by the very original name of....bicycle clips!!

Fluoro puttees anyone ?

Eurodave
27th June 2005, 12:22
Or how about a flouro pink Sam Brown?

dhunt
27th June 2005, 12:45
I have seen quite a few touring bikes with the riders/pillions wearing flouro vest down this way.

What I HAVE noticed is that a lot of the time the vests are obscured by large fairings/screens at the front and by large top-boxes/packs etc at the rear.

Also noticed the odd sports-bike type rider with them - trouble is the riding position of those types of bikes mean the rider is a whole lot less than vertical ergo the visibility is compromised quite a bit.

Can't do any harm to wear one, especially on the open road but don't put too much faith on other road users actually seeing it.

Lights on combined with running lights is a good way to go, you can't forget/leave THEM at home!
I don't think I would bother wearing one, If a cage can't see me in a silver/white/black leather space suit on a yellow bike with a head light on and semi noisy exchaust I don't think anything else would make any difference at all and I'm totally screwed :argh:

vifferman
27th June 2005, 12:50
I was following a biker the other night, and he was VERY visible. He was dressed in a white suit with reflective fluoro stripes on arms, legs, back and chest, and the suit picked up headlights and streetlights from several hundred metres away. He looked like a Christmas tree!

It made me think again about wearing gear like this, as it gave him a very high profile, visibility-wise.:yes:

XTC
27th June 2005, 13:43
I've seen alot of people in cages wearing flouro vests.... whats with that eh?? Some sort of club recognition thing maybe..... :rofl:

From a front view I think my visibike kit does more to make people see me in the traffic. Having the front indicators glow helps prevent yours from just blending into the those of traffic behind you. Also on the motorway I notice more people moving over as I come up behind them than I did before i fitted the kit, so I am being seen.

placidfemme
27th June 2005, 14:42
I've seen alot of people in cages wearing flouro vests.... whats with that eh?? Some sort of club recognition thing maybe..... :rofl:

From a front view I think my visibike kit does more to make people see me in the traffic. Having the front indicators glow helps prevent yours from just blending into the those of traffic behind you. Also on the motorway I notice more people moving over as I come up behind them than I did before i fitted the kit, so I am being seen.

*dumb question time*

Whats a visibike kit?

Ixion
27th June 2005, 14:44
*dumb question time*

Whats a visibike kit?

Makes your front indicators light up all the time (except when you are actually indicating, then they work as normal). So the front indicators act as daytime running lights.

placidfemme
27th June 2005, 14:57
Those sound like a good idea... are they expensive?

Ixion
27th June 2005, 15:00
Those sound like a good idea... are they expensive?

Dunno. I did my own, didn't get a kit, but it probably cost more in the long run buying the bits than buying a kit would have. Mr XTC can probably tell you how much his cost.

crashe
27th June 2005, 15:38

They will be people who have finished work for the day or on their way to work and too lazy to take the vest off... also some workers are going from job to job and its time consumming to take them on and off all the time.

A lot of truck drivers have the passenger seat wear the vest for them. :rofl:
I know when I was driving transporters I only wore them when I went onto the wharf.... compulsary on the wharf.

Lou Girardin
27th June 2005, 15:50
I was following a biker the other night, and he was VERY visible. He was dressed in a white suit with reflective fluoro stripes on arms, legs, back and chest, and the suit picked up headlights and streetlights from several hundred metres away. He looked like a Christmas tree!

It made me think again about wearing gear like this, as it gave him a very high profile, visibility-wise.:yes:

It also gives him a high profile sexuality-wise. :yes:

XTC
27th June 2005, 15:51
Visibike kit is $65.00 from D.A Winters Ltd.
280 Devon Street West
New Plymouth
Email : dave@dawinters.com
ph 06 7584535

placidfemme
27th June 2005, 16:19
Visibike kit is $65.00 from D.A Winters Ltd.
280 Devon Street West
New Plymouth
Email : dave@dawinters.com
ph 06 7584535

Thank you :) Would I have to send my bike to New Plymouth? *starts to sniffle at the tought of sending my bike away*

Or would they send me the parts and I'd get them installed here?

*will have to wait to see if I need to fork out any $$ towards my partners bike fixing before I spend money on other stuff*

Thanks again :) They look great :)

dhunt
27th June 2005, 16:22

Yeah I was talking to a guy at the bike shop here who has the same leathers as me said he'd never go back just black leathers again for visibility reasons. Our leathers have 3M reflective panels on them as well which add to the visibility.

XTC
27th June 2005, 16:42
Thank you :) Would I have to send my bike to New Plymouth? *starts to sniffle at the tought of sending my bike away*

*will have to wait to see if I need to fork out any $$ towards my partners bike fixing before I spend money on other stuff*

Thanks again :) They look great :)
They send you a kit (all it is is a little black box with wires coming out) and you get it fitted. Very easy to fit. Some one on site should be able to help you fit it or bring it down here.

vifferman
27th June 2005, 17:01

Motomail *were* selling them (but given how slack they've been getting, they probably don't any more.)

Zapf
4th July 2005, 22:09
well... if you were one of THESE you will be seen... (and they'll probly think COP too)

http://store1.yimg.com/I/motostrano_1853_34446625

http://store1.yimg.com/I/motostrano_1849_18739592

placidfemme
5th July 2005, 07:46
well... if you were one of THESE you will be seen... (and they'll probly think COP too)

http://store1.yimg.com/I/motostrano_1853_34446625

http://store1.yimg.com/I/motostrano_1849_18739592

those are the coolest looking vest I've seen.

*wouldn't mind being seen in one of those*

Where can you buy them from? How much?

Ixion
5th July 2005, 11:33
those are the coolest looking vest I've seen.

*wouldn't mind being seen in one of those*

Where can you buy them from? How much?

Yes, they are rather good. I'd buy one, if I knew where.

Which also gives me an idea. What about a KiwiBiker fluoro vest, to raise funds for Spankme ?

XP@
5th July 2005, 11:59
Yes, they are rather good. I'd buy one, if I knew where.

Which also gives me an idea. What about a KiwiBiker fluoro vest, to raise funds for Spankme ?
Excellent idea

placidfemme
5th July 2005, 13:00
Yeah all we'd need to do is buy however many vests are needed (depending on demand) and then get SpankMe to have the KB logo printed onto them, with an slight extra cost for profits and it's all sorted :)

Any idea where to get those from?

XP@
5th July 2005, 16:20
Yeah all we'd need to do is buy however many vests are needed (depending on demand) and then get SpankMe to have the KB logo printed onto them, with an slight extra cost for profits and it's all sorted :)

Any idea where to get those from?
looks like we need 3 of them...

According to the poll, there are 6 people who want one but 3 have them but don't use them....

Wolf
5th July 2005, 16:47
If you don't find something, how about reflective stickers on your helmet,
There used to be triangular red "Be Safe, Be Seen" stickers that were especially for riders to put on their helmets (I would presume they chose a glue that wasn't going to mess with the integrity of the helmet) I used to have some - they were small though so not a lot of use.

Wolf
5th July 2005, 16:51
looks like we need 3 of them...

According to the poll, there are 6 people who want one but 3 have them but don't use them....
If it had been a public poll, we could have seen who the three were and PM'ed them with an offer for their unwanted vests - first-in, first served.

XP@
5th July 2005, 17:00
If it had been a public poll, we could have seen who the three were and PM'ed them with an offer for their unwanted vests - first-in, first served.
Maybee we can get ACC to sponsor a couple of thousand of them and give them away to all members

placidfemme
5th July 2005, 17:25
Maybee we can get ACC to sponsor a couple of thousand of them and give them away to all members

Would ACC do that? I work next to the ACC on Sale Street... if that helps any...

Ixion
5th July 2005, 18:05

That;s a very good idea. ACC have lots of money. Maybe they would put their money where their mouth is. Even if they just paid for the cost of printing the logo so that Spankme could get all the profit.

I'll see if I can contact someone.

Zapf
5th July 2005, 19:28
Ermm... ACC might JUST do it.... Seeing Durex gives away condoms for promotion... why can't ACC do the same thing?

Anyone got contacts at ACC?

Wolf
5th July 2005, 21:54
Ermm... ACC might JUST do it.... Seeing Durex gives away condoms for promotion... why can't ACC do the same thing?

Anyone got contacts at ACC?
I'd like to see the ACC levies go to something useful. They're rolling in dough - there are several people here paying ACC levies on more vehicles than it's physically possible to drive at once. And if it helps this site and promotes biker safety and driver awareness of bikes, I'm all for it.

Zapf
6th July 2005, 01:24
I'd like to see the ACC levies go to something useful. They're rolling in dough - there are several people here paying ACC levies on more vehicles than it's physically possible to drive at once. And if it helps this site and promotes biker safety and driver awareness of bikes, I'm all for it.

Yep. Me being one of them with 2 cage and 2 bikes... its a heavy burden...

http://www.motostrano-store.com/icmilspve.html is where the nice reflective vests are at. If we buy a few I might be able to haggle a discount.

XP@
6th July 2005, 10:01
Yep. Me being one of them with 2 cage and 2 bikes... its a heavy burden...

http://www.motostrano-store.com/icmilspve.html is where the nice reflective vests are at. If we buy a few I might be able to haggle a discount.

They work out at about $70 NZD which isn't that bad. The vests avalible here are about $40+ for a semi decent one that will flap around and probably come undone after about 10 mins riding.

The co in the link only ships to US addresses :-( maybe we could get them to pass us on to the manufacturer...

Zapf
6th July 2005, 19:51
They work out at about $70 NZD which isn't that bad. The vests avalible here are about $40+ for a semi decent one that will flap around and probably come undone after about 10 mins riding.

The co in the link only ships to US addresses :-( maybe we could get them to pass us on to the manufacturer...

no they ship to NZ. Have bought from them before :)

Aitch
6th July 2005, 21:36

do you think perhaps you need to get out more????

placidfemme
14th July 2005, 07:26
Any luck with ACC?

magnum
19th July 2005, 15:50
you couldnt pay me to wear one

Zapf
19th July 2005, 15:55
I have had the chance to talk to ACC.... if anyone else close to them could :wait:

XP@
19th July 2005, 16:28
I have had the chance to talk to ACC.... if anyone else close to them could :wait:
I take it that was a :no:

Blackbird
19th July 2005, 16:43
I have a 100 W Xenon headlight which stays on during the day. My bike is candy blue. Not sure that a vest is going to add a heck of a lot to the visual clues already at my disposal :whistle:

sheddy
24th January 2006, 02:52
I'm going to chase one of those visibility kits. Indicators plus headlight must help.
Is the 3m reflective stuff available from most safety gear suppliers??. Reflective piping would be good used on some seams on your leathers,place to get that would be good to know as well in Hamilton area. I think I will get a reflective helmet decal/stripe as well

Swoop
15th February 2006, 12:26
I hope that some pollytician dosen't see that ACC has supplied "an amount of hi-viz vests to bikers" and then uses this to push the issue to make them compulsory to all riders......

Graham Allardice
3rd March 2006, 18:53
Mostly I've worn a yellow safety vest over black leathers but got fed up with the thing blowing open at speed and looking faded and tatty, so now I wear a high visibility harness - a bit like braces attached to a belt. Very good to wear and very conspicuous. Also I wear orange reflective upper arm bands. The harness cost $60 and is easy to put on and remove. Highly recommended. The arm bands remain on the jacket but the harness is put on and removed separately from the jacket.

Graham

XP@
7th March 2006, 10:48
Mostly I've worn a yellow safety vest over black leathers but got fed up with the thing blowing open at speed and looking faded and tatty, so now I wear a high visibility harness - a bit like braces attached to a belt. Very good to wear and very conspicuous. Also I wear orange reflective upper arm bands. The harness cost $60 and is easy to put on and remove. Highly recommended. The arm bands remain on the jacket but the harness is put on and removed separately from the jacket.

Graham
First, Welcome to KiwiBiker!
I've read your book (you even signed it for me :-) excellent stuff.

Have you got a picture of the harness, I was looking for one a few months ago but couldn't find anything that would stand up to bike use. Also where did you get it from?

Cheers

APPLE
7th March 2006, 19:02
strickly leathers man?

Back Fire
12th March 2006, 16:58
Never bothered myself.... if they cant see a big hunk of metal with a bright headlight and a scrawny gangly guy hanging off it why would a orange or yellow or what ever vest make a diff??

Balding Eagle
14th April 2006, 05:23
Yes I wear one. Would rather look a bit dorky than imitate flat possum. I know that headlights are really good but only for head-on traffic. I have a yellow vest and I wear it primarily to tell those idiots that approach too quickly from the side at intersections/roundabouts and also from behind. The vest does tend to flap around in the breeze but this flapping motion helps to draw attention to your presence. I work on the principle of see or be seen and this certainly helps to be seen.

Macktheknife
19th April 2006, 19:50
Just for those who may be interested, there is a good option of a 'sash and belt' design available I think that cycletreads have them in stock and most bicycle shops too.
If anyone is interested in something other than a vest thingie, so it doesnt flap around in the wind.

sKilled
7th June 2006, 17:10
To be honest, although it would be to my advantage as I intend to ride through city traffic, I would rather go with a jacket with integrated reflective bits and pieces. A vest is just one more thing to loose/damage, or that could get you in trouble by snagging on something. Better is a good jacket in a bright colour with reflective bits.

XP@
8th June 2006, 09:58
To be honest, although it would be to my advantage as I intend to ride through city traffic, I would rather go with a jacket with integrated reflective bits and pieces. A vest is just one more thing to loose/damage, or that could get you in trouble by snagging on something. Better is a good jacket in a bright colour with reflective bits.
Has anyone seen a bike jacket in any colour other than black?
Didn't think so, most of them do have a bit of fluro stuff on them but nothing really much.
The other disadvantage with the fluro on the jacket is ti decintigrates faster than the rest of the jacket. so being able to replace / add fluro would be good.

Devil
8th June 2006, 10:13

Yers, my Dririder Summit2. http://www.dririder.com.au/products.asp?menu=40&main=SUMMIT-2
Plus Dianese do a couple in similar colours.

Whynot
8th June 2006, 10:19
I wear one, but thats mostly due to the fact that i have to wear it on site when i get to work.
When not going to work i dont normally bother as it gets in the way etc. and tend to fade and wear out a lot quicker

scracha
10th June 2006, 17:37
They work best if they make you like like a traffic cop. For that you'd also need a white bike and helmet.
fuck. Still...beats looking like a power ranger with a helmet someone's puked on.

scracha
10th June 2006, 17:39
Didn't think so, most of them do have a bit of fluro stuff on them but nothing really much.
The other disadvantage with the fluro on the jacket is ti decintigrates faster than the rest of the jacket. so being able to replace / add fluro would be good.

Actually I've noticed that. I half joked "Is black the new black" when I was out on a ride a couple of months back. Must be a kiwi thing cos there's loads of coloured jackets out there. Gotta say my green one looks manky though.

Rincewind
10th June 2006, 22:54
Maybe with all this new technology in LED's we should consider a few blue neon lights sewn into our battle dress... You First Ha Ha

scracha
12th June 2006, 21:53
Maybe with all this new technology in LED's we should consider a few blue neon lights sewn into our battle dress... You First Ha Ha
Flashing ones....then the cars would really get out our way. Hey...I know it's illegal to have blue (never mind flashing) lights on your bike but I wonder if it's legal on clothing :innocent:

XP@
4th January 2007, 13:38
Goes with this thread...

Got one of these vests for xmas.

works bloody good, the vest has LED lights in it so makes your body mass easily seen.

lights front and back

Lights can be set to flash or stay constant and there is pleanty of adjustment with the one size fits all velcro thing, so they dont flap around when i am riding to the speed limit.................

go to

www.higlow.co.nz

car drivers think i am a green man from another planet, but hey at least they see me now.

Aitch
4th January 2007, 13:43

Some people have too much spare time!!!!

gijoe1313
4th January 2007, 14:36
Aye, I do have one - usually only wear it for the long night sojourns or when I'm doing some long touring, usually I have gear stashed on the tail so the vest can't be seen from behind. At night, I do notice the cars slowing down when the lights get onto it (same design as the biker popos!) :lol:

I don't generally wear it for my day to day riding however :dodge: mebbe I should get a white helmet as well just to wear with it ... :devil2:

Tricia1000
5th January 2007, 07:15
I wear a reflective vest. Well it isn't really a vest as such. Most of it is just a black mesh, but it has two pink stripes, one going over each shoulder. I have always worn a reflective vest of one description or another, including the police type, (which I use when I have a student, who is new to riding.)
For those who prefer black, on black on black, i.e. no reflective jacket: A good reflective jacket will make you more visible on the road, increasing your profile. It will also keep road dirt off your motorbike jacket.
If you are ever unfortunate enough to be lying on the road or beside the road,(possibly injured) on an unlit or poorly lit road at night and hear the noise of a car approaching at high speed you may have just enough to time to uestion the wisdom of wearing black clothing in the dark.
Just my 2 cents worth

MyGSXF
5th January 2007, 12:53
if they cant see a big hunk of metal with a bright headlight and a scrawny gangly guy hanging off it why would a orange or yellow or what ever vest make a diff??

About 4 years ago in Tasman, near Nelson.. there was a horriffic accident.

The bike was whopping great XS1100..WITH a sidechair attached.. the dad was riding, mum in the sidechair, & daughter (mid 3oish) on the pillion seat. Middle of the day, on an open straight piece of road, lovely day, bike lights were on. The driver of the car did NOT SEE them.. did a u turn right in front of them & they hit the car side on.. mum & dad both spent months in hospital both with shattered pelvis's & legs.. & their lovely daughter DIED on the scene...

& you wonder HOW a car wouldn't see you.. let alone NOT see a bloody great machine ladened up like that..???

maybe if they had vests on.....

Jimmy B
5th January 2007, 13:40
Yeah I agree with Tricia1000 and MyGSXF

My last 2 bikes were Black/Charcoal and Black/Red respectively. I wore Black leathers with a Black Helmet...Cool aye....

Fast forward and shock me if my latest bike isnt Black on Black. The diffrenece this time is I am a Bloke with a wife and young kid and all sorts of previuosly ignored aspects suddenly have relevance, like the colour of my gear. I have a Shift leather jacket in gunmetal silver with reflective strips, a silver helmet and red/silver bum bag to carry my gear. Pants and boots are still Black Leather but thats how it worked out.

BY virtue of riding a bike I know that I am hard to see or appear further away at the best of times, let alone out of the sun, but low light is the one that really sh*ts me, hopefully the lighter gear makes this slightly better, but you know how it is with some riders, Black will always be the new Black and I dont think this will change.

James Deuce
5th January 2007, 14:09
Every decent cordura jacket has reflective panels these days, including the type that look like a black pebbled surface. I wasn't sure how good the little black dots worked until Hitcher took a photo of me on the R6 the night I picked it up. Blow me down if they don't provide a blinding reflection!

I think the safety vests are a pain in the neck. The don't breathe and they flap about. There are plenty of motorcycle oriented solutions that don't involve looking like an aging BAB or a Cop. Apologies to aging BABs and Cops.

Jimmy B
5th January 2007, 14:14
There are plenty of motorcycle oriented solutions that don't involve looking like an aging BAB or a Cop. Apologies to aging BABs and Cops.

You're welcome no offence taken

Swoop
5th January 2007, 21:42
I notice in the UK bikemag, that there are a couple of bikers who have modified their yellow reflective vests...
They now sport a large printed word across the back POLITE.
Coupled with a white helmet, quite a lot of cages get out of their way...:done:

Nasty
6th January 2007, 07:35
I wear a vest ... I look like a rolling lemon - bought it from the safety NZ shop .. doesn't flap around as it is a good fit and zips up rather than velcro .. but the truth of the matter is that I am seen ... It scares the bejesus out of me that someone will not see me .. at least this way I know if I get hit they are really using me for target practice!!:dodge:

Maha
6th January 2007, 07:41
I was just wondering... do you think they actually help you?

Yes Tammy, they must help..........:yes:
No Tammy, i think it will make you look........Gay.......:love:

James Deuce
6th January 2007, 10:09
I wear a vest ... I look like a rolling lemon - bought it from the safety NZ shop .. doesn't flap around as it is a good fit and zips up rather than velcro .. but the truth of the matter is that I am seen ... It scares the bejesus out of me that someone will not see me .. at least this way I know if I get hit they are really using me for target practice!!:dodge:

You could be riding naked and you will still hear, "I didn't see her", while you're groveling on the ground in agony.

You ARE invisible. Never ride anywhere on a motorcycle with the expectation that other road users (including motorcyclists) have seen you. They can't see you, the safety vest doesn't help. Please tell me that you aren't riding with the expectation that the hi-vis vest means that people can see you?

Motion Camouflage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_camouflage) afflicts all motorcyclists and is why practically every motorcycle T-Bone accident includes the words, "The motorcyclist was speeding".

Don't casually accept what I am saying either, with a blithe acceptance comment but really thinking, "My vest will save me."

Other road users aren't out to kill you (with a few exceptions). They CAN'T see you. They aren't trained to, they have no experience of what you experience in terms of acceleration and maneuverability, they don't expect to see you, and they don't see you as a threat to their physical selves because you are smaller than them.

Always ride like you have to take responsibility for everything going on around you.

kaz
31st July 2007, 20:48
You could be riding naked and you will still hear, "I didn't see her", while you're groveling on the ground in agony.

You ARE invisible. Never ride anywhere on a motorcycle with the expectation that other road users (including motorcyclists) have seen you. They can't see you, the safety vest doesn't help. Please tell me that you aren't riding with the expectation that the hi-vis vest means that people can see you?

Motion Camouflage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_camouflage) afflicts all motorcyclists and is why practically every motorcycle T-Bone accident includes the words, "The motorcyclist was speeding".

Don't casually accept what I am saying either, with a blithe acceptance comment but really thinking, "My vest will save me."

Other road users aren't out to kill you (with a few exceptions). They CAN'T see you. They aren't trained to, they have no experience of what you experience in terms of acceleration and maneuverability, they don't expect to see you, and they don't see you as a threat to their physical selves because you are smaller than them.

Always ride like you have to take responsibility for everything going on around you.

I agree with you, Jim2. But I don't think this conversation is really about whether a hi-viz vest (or anything else) will always protect you in all situations. I think people are talking about REDUCING the risk, where you possibly can (knowing the risk can't be eliminated, unless you choose not to ride of course). I also think there's a false dilemma here: reducing the risk with hi-viz gear does not have to come at the expense of smart riding, good skills, knowledge about motion camouflage - which are also important, as you say. But why not have good skills, knowledge about risks, AND hi-viz gear?

I had to argue hard to get the people in Unnamed Shop to order my white helmet (they only had black and blue in store). The guys tried to tell me it wouldn't save me from bad car drivers and there was no reason to order a white helmet. Fair enough. But I think it can make a difference in some situations with some bad car drivers (or even some good ones who just make a mistake). So my thinking was: why not at least eliminate those situations? But I acknowledge that it's easy for me since I'm not attached to wearing black or having a particular image. And it seems to be easier for women as there are more colours available in our jackets (mine is light blue) :)

James Deuce
31st July 2007, 21:12
A hi viz vest does not increase your visibility. If it did, 2 vehicle (or more) motorcycle accident stats would be dropping, not rising. There is nothing you can do to make other road users "see" you.

Other road users need to be trained, not threatened with legislation, fines, or billboards, and taught about the things they need to look for. Until that is done you need to take FULL responsibility for avoiding issues on the road. What you wear has little to do with whether you will be seen or not.

How many people here had a driving instructor teach them things like, "If a ball rolls out of a driveway either stop or reduce your speed dramatically because 9 times out of 10 there's a kid following"?

I'd venture that common sense nuggets of information like that have evaporated in the face of needing specific information to pass a scratchy test.

kaz
31st July 2007, 21:31
A hi viz vest does not increase your visibility. If it did, 2 vehicle (or more) motorcycle accident stats would be dropping, not rising. There is nothing you can do to make other road users "see" you.

Other road users need to be trained, not threatened with legislation, fines, or billboards, and taught about the things they need to look for. Until that is done you need to take FULL responsibility for avoiding issues on the road. What you wear has little to do with whether you will be seen or not.

How many people here had a driving instructor teach them things like, "If a ball rolls out of a driveway either stop or reduce your speed dramatically because 9 times out of 10 there's a kid following"?

I'd venture that common sense nuggets of information like that have evaporated in the face of needing specific information to pass a scratchy test.

I think we're mostly agreeing - except about whether hi-viz gear makes any difference (you're saying you think it doesn't; I'm saying I think it does). I don't think you can "make" people see you either but I think you can make it easier for them to see you in some circumstances, just like you can make it harder for them to see you in some circumstances.

As to your commonsense driveway and ball example, yes to that! That's something my dad taught me actually and it has paid off so many times (on two wheels and on four wheels, even on six wheels! Ditto for seeing a cat run out of a driveway - often there's a dog following or a kid) I've had my car license for 20 years, a HT license for 6 years, and - more recently - a bike license. For all license tests I have been shocked by how stupid the multi-choice answers (and some of the questions) are. I even said so to the test administrators (I'm sure they didn't care though).

kerfufflez
31st July 2007, 22:17
There are plenty of motorcycle oriented solutions that don't involve looking like an aging BAB or a Cop. Apologies to aging BABs and Cops.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a BAB (aging or otherwise)?

James Deuce
1st August 2007, 06:26
Born Again Biker

Albino
1st August 2007, 08:03
This is NZ, you can't try to address the root cause of something. We need a solution that is the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. Or probably more accurately the coffin 6 feet under the bottom of the cliff.

Wear hi-vis if if makes you feel safer.

Personally I don't like feeling safe on my bike because I know that I'm not.

DUCATI*HARD
1st August 2007, 08:47
dont make me laugh,ha ha!!!no offence to those who wear them,ha ha.

Griff
1st August 2007, 17:12
I remember an article about a guy in the UK who had the word "POLITE" embossed on the back of a safety jacket, with the intention to be mistook for a policeman. The police were pissed off, but couldn't do anything about it.

Personally I prefer to feel safer by wearing Bubble-Wrap.
Try it! Hopefully its melodic popping will entertain you when you get knocked-off your bike.

breakaway
1st August 2007, 19:39
I'm thinking of getting some reflective tape and taping "LOL" on the back of my jacket.

Hanne
1st August 2007, 21:26
I do have a hi vis vest but only wear it when it is really pissing down or I am going for a reasonably long ride... Ireckon mostly it is the reflector bits that are helpful, not the orange day bit.

The last time I wore it while riding into uni (Mt Eden to city) Ithought great, this should reduce the number of 'oops i didn't see you' moments along the way. And I had... 3 cars turn left in front of me coming out of sideroads, one turn right across my path and one dash straight through a red light.

Day glo clothes don't make the morons who never look grow any more brain cells. So as yet I am not convinced thay make for a safer journey.

xgnr
1st August 2007, 22:03
I ride a push bike as well and sometimes wonder if it just makes me a better target.

Wear Black on the Bike and flouro top on the little bike... go figure

Griff
2nd August 2007, 13:36
I ride a push bike as well and sometimes wonder if it just makes me a better target. Wear Black on the Bike and flouro top on the little bike... go figure

Funny that! I have a set of Racing 1-piece leathers which are a bit flashy, I use them when my normal leathers are soaked and I find Car drivers are for more aggressive little bunnies.

But when I stick to the Low-Vis Black leathers, I get far less hassle.
I think the more aggressive you look, the weedier car drivers become.

Mekk
2nd August 2007, 14:35
Personally I don't like feeling safe on my bike because I know that I'm not.

That's an excellent comment, bling sent. I completely agree with keeping bikers on edge, we're not in cars after all.

Besides, it makes it more thrilling. :D

Pancakes
7th August 2007, 12:56
I wear one kinda like below, started cos my jacket leaked and I used to cycle heaps so had it laying around. People still need to look to see it tho! Have heard about bright jacket and light being too bright and blending into background glare. After being hit I don't think it really helped much but who can predict who is going to hit/not see you and in what situations? Black is the new black! I'm going all black with my new gear (picking up in a day or so! Exciting!) But use full beam in the day and yellow bike, want visibike kit too. can you turn them on and off or is it typically hardwired?

edit, I used to cycle to town each day (roughly 35K's/1 Hr each way) and would wear that jacket, have a 5 LED thing on my seat post permanently on and a single LED on each side of my helmet set to flash. I figured the constant light gave distance and the flashing got people to look in the first place. Also had two 20w halogen lights on the front. People in the area that saw me commented on how bright the getup was, made me happy to know I'd been seen.

Coldrider
7th August 2007, 13:41
Personally I think flouro is a bit gay, and a false sense of security, nothing beats black.
I watch other road users, always regarding them as not having seen me.
At excessive speeds, tintops will not see you anyway, no matter what you wear, headlights on etc.

McJim
7th August 2007, 13:48
I wore one when I started riding....then I got hit by a car....stopped wearing it and haven't been hit yet.

Coincidence?

HungusMaximist
8th August 2007, 20:49
I got handed a free yellow vest by a ACC chump after visiting their motocycle commercial production down in Greenlane 5-6 weeks ago.

They were dropping old bikes from a crane from different heights to show impact damage at different speeds. That was the highlight.

As for the vest I wear em only in the evening as I navigate through central city's traffic.

But I always had this dream that I wanted to look like a biker cop while wearing it........

Zapf
8th August 2007, 22:30
I wear one kinda like below

I have a similar jacket I wear over my 1 pce leather for rain. When I do wear it it is usually either dark or raining with bad visibility. So in that sense I believe it works to my advantage. However I would not wear something like a construction / etc. fluro vest during fine or day time.

I am however looking at these vest

timg
8th August 2007, 22:32
Personally I think flouro is a bit gay,

Yup, I tried a fluro vest and felt like a dork :o but I like the idea of making myself more visible to other road users...if they bother to actually look. Nothing beats riding defensively and a vest is no excuse to lower your standard of vigilance.

Check out this thread and link; http://www.tinwolf.co.uk/index.html
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28307&highlight=tinwolf

I settled on one of these and paid Spank for the use of the KB logo. It doesn't look as gay as a fluro vest but does stand out well according to my riding mates. Have a look at my profile pic.

Cheers T.

Bass
9th August 2007, 15:33
Personally I think flouro is a bit gay, and a false sense of security, nothing beats black.
I watch other road users, always regarding them as not having seen me.

I will take all reasonable precautions to avoid getting bowled when on the bike. Consequently I wear a high viz vest. It is simply another reasonable precaution. It does not make me feel any more secure when on the bike and I don't know whether it reduces the odds against me or not. I wear it on the chance that it works.
I don't give a shit whether anyone else thinks it's ghey or not. IMHO that says more about their insecurities than mine.

pyrocam
9th August 2007, 16:37
buffy would leave me

not that I would wear one anyway

Cave Cleaner
9th August 2007, 16:45
Yeah ,My jacket and pants have that reflective beading over them and they do stand out at night, so I don't wear a vest. If you do want a vest, you can buy the basic yellow or Orange ones with the reflective bands from Placemakers for around $12

james89000
13th August 2007, 22:18
I would be interested to know if there is any real stats showing this. I would say it probably would help but the article below would sort of controdict this.

Hey that is an interesting thought.

Ender EnZed
6th October 2009, 11:47
I realise this is a very old thread but the Indoctrination video told me not to start new ones that already exist.:nono:

I read all 10 pages and I couldn't identify any distinction between the merits of being seen and being recognised as a valid road user. I'm suggesting there are two parts to your typical "Car at a Give Way" situation. i.e. You're approaching an intersection when a car pulls up, driver turns their head and looks straight at you. They must then:

(1) Determine that there is physically an object there.
(2) Decide whether or not it affects their ability to carry on their intended route to an extent that they need to respond differently to how they would otherwise.

The "Car at a Give Way" situation isn't an ideal example for fluoro vests as there's not a lot to be seen of them behind a fairing and a headlight. A better one would be when you're stopping for a late orange/red light and there's a cage behind you.

I could be wrong of course but I don't think anyone really believes that a fluoro has zero chance of improving things for part (1). I'm trying to promote a bit of discussion on part (2) and to that end I'll raise this bit of reasearch (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060911102200.htm) some of you might have seen.

It's not a recent study but the relevent bit is this

Dr Walker suggests the reason drivers give less room to cyclists wearing helmets is down to how cyclists are perceived as a group.

“We know from research that many drivers see cyclists as a separate subculture, to which they don’t belong,” said Dr Walker.

“As a result they hold stereotyped ideas about cyclists, often judging all riders by the yardstick of the lycra-clad street-warrior.

“This may lead drivers to believe cyclists with helmets are more serious, experienced and predictable than those without.

“The idea that helmeted cyclists are more experienced and less likely to do something unexpected would explain why drivers leave less space when passing.

Anyone see any parallels there with attitudes toward the motorised variety of cycles? I'm not suggesting for a second we should take off our helmets but I am suggesting that drivers who see a rider wearing a fluoro jacket will be making different assumptions about how that rider will react to those they would be making if the rider was naked. I'm sure this is true of motorcyclists themselves as well. I'll assume there to be a difference between the rider of a big white faired bike wearing full gear, a white helmet and a fluoro vest and a guy in jeans and a T shirt on a scraped up streetfighter.

I've forgotten what I was saying at the start of this post it was so long ago but I think my point was: Do you think cagers might take less care around a fluoro vested rider assuming him (or her) to be less likely to crash?

sunhuntin
6th October 2009, 12:37
ive got one and have been wearing it quite a bit lately with all the grey weather. i would to stick some of the reflective tape on the topbox, cos i think that blocks the vest from the back quite a bit. i always wear it when riding at dusk or night time, or on days with shit weather. my wet weather pants have thin reflective piping down the outer legs, and i noticed the first time i wore them that they made a heap of difference, more than i expected.

Ferkletastic
6th October 2009, 15:19
I wear one, got it for $3 odd from a dollar store at St Lukes, has reflective strips and works really well. I've noticed cars move away more if I'm splitting and seem to be more aware of me.

Don't give a damn about it looking spack as I'm secure enough in my own awesomosity to not worry.

I don't ride to look cool, I ride because it's way too much fun.

gwigs
6th October 2009, 15:52
As someone in another post said on a similar subject..."You might as well be wearing a clown suit".People in cars just dont see you regardless of what you wear..
I was wearing one at night but have since stopped as I observed a from my cage on the motorway at night that I saw a bikes lights well before any flouro vests..:yeah:

swbarnett
6th October 2009, 17:50
As someone in another post said on a similar subject..."You might as well be wearing a clown suit".People in cars just dont see you regardless of what you wear..
I was wearing one at night but have since stopped as I observed a from my cage on the motorway at night that I saw a bikes lights well before any flouro vests..:yeah:
Indeed.

I think there are some riders that do notice a difference once they don a vest. My theory on this is that they're riding with more confidence because they think they're safer. It has nothing to do with them being more visible.

duckonin
6th October 2009, 18:44
Anything you do or wear that reduces any risks, must be worth it !!!:yes:

p.dath
6th October 2009, 18:49
I used to like wearing mine, especially when riding at night - but I have worn it out.

pete376403
6th October 2009, 20:30
Have worn a yellow flouro jacket on a couple of rides - once in fog down South, a following rider said he could not see the other bikes but he could see my jacket, another time on a gravel road with a shit load of dust and same again - my jacket was the only thing the following rider could see.

NordieBoy
6th October 2009, 21:02
On the Dusty Butt people could see me several km away :D

awa355
15th October 2009, 14:55
I was just wondering... how many riders actually wear those reflective yellow/orange safety vests? And if so... do you think they actually help you?

I was given 2 when I brought my ZXR. Never wore them and so I gave them to my partners father who rides a Mountain Bike to work...

I wore one while doing a Postie run in Tga. They are far more noticable on scooters than dull coloured helmets or scooter lights. As the lights on scooters are so low, many motorists see the Hi glo vests first.

I was wearing one for a while for riding to work at night. My new cordura jacket has reflective strips which do the same job anyway. Any reflective strip makes a motorcyclist stand out. I think they are a good idea.

Ypawa
17th October 2009, 20:51
I dont have a safety vest/hi viz. The thought never entered my mind as a necessity to wear/get one. Some say .. a vest makes them more secure in knowing they can be seen on the road. I may think hard about this one!
Oneday LTNZ/GOVT may...oneday..just oneday make it COMPULSORY for all Bike riders to wear a Safety Vest - thats food for thought huh?

Neon
17th October 2009, 21:23
I used to like wearing mine, especially when riding at night - but I have worn it out.

'Tis true, I frequently notice bikers with fluoro vests that are a dull browny orange or faded yellow. Mine is bright yellow on the back and starting to fade on the front quite noticeably, and it's only had a year of use. :oi-grr:

After my missus followed me in the car one evening at dusk on the NW motorway when I wasn't wearing it, she commented that I just 'disappeared' in amongst all the other visual clutter. I maintain that they make a big difference in low light / night and poor weather, so that's when I wear one most.

Neon
17th October 2009, 21:26
Course I wanted to rip the fucken thing off today riding North into the wind. The buffetting/fluttering effect was driving me nuts, and mine's modified to fit snug and not hang off like a cape.

Dodger
18th October 2009, 16:47
I've always seen the vests as a warning to other road users that the rider is over the age of 40 :p

Ypawa
18th October 2009, 18:40
I've always seen the vests as a warning to other road users that the rider is over the age of 40 :p

:kick::nya: too busy site seeing huh :blip:..

mstriumph
18th October 2009, 18:48
.............. Some say .. a vest makes them more secure in knowing they can be seen on the road. I may think hard about this one!.................

yeah yeah yeah ........... in the same way that Riders felt more secure by having their headlights hard-wired-on as it 'made them more visible to other road users'

it will probably have exactly the same measure of sucess, too ..... ie ZERO

there's an old saying that may be applicable here (changes to south-of-england accent) "There's none so blind as them that will not see"

your BEST defence, as always, is to treat other road users like the *expletive deleted* potential killers and morons they are and BE READY FOR WHATEVER IDIOTIC THING THEY MAY DO NEXT. :banana:

jackie
19th October 2009, 01:14
No construction work happening on my ride...

Zuki lover
19th October 2009, 06:13
My feeling is that when I see a vest on a bike, they are generally worn by older folk. If you have a colourful bike, its easier to be seen - this is a vest in disguise :rofl:

jim.cox
19th October 2009, 08:29
Vests give drivers something to aim at

NordieBoy
19th October 2009, 09:25
I love my vest sometimes.

Boy racer sees a big dirt bike with a vested rider and nails it coming into a 100kph zone from a 50....
And sloooowly catches up and passes (has to pass - must pass....) doing 120kph or more.

Even better with a cop up ahead :lol:

Cynos
19th October 2009, 16:49
I realise this is a very old thread but the Indoctrination video told me not to start new ones that already exist.:nono:

I read all 10 pages and I couldn't identify any distinction between the merits of being seen and being recognised as a valid road user. I'm suggesting there are two parts to your typical "Car at a Give Way" situation. i.e. You're approaching an intersection when a car pulls up, driver turns their head and looks straight at you. They must then:

(1) Determine that there is physically an object there.
(2) Decide whether or not it affects their ability to carry on their intended route to an extent that they need to respond differently to how they would otherwise.

The "Car at a Give Way" situation isn't an ideal example for fluoro vests as there's not a lot to be seen of them behind a fairing and a headlight. A better one would be when you're stopping for a late orange/red light and there's a cage behind you.

I could be wrong of course but I don't think anyone really believes that a fluoro has zero chance of improving things for part (1). I'm trying to promote a bit of discussion on part (2) and to that end I'll raise this bit of reasearch (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060911102200.htm) some of you might have seen.

It's not a recent study but the relevent bit is this

Anyone see any parallels there with attitudes toward the motorised variety of cycles? I'm not suggesting for a second we should take off our helmets but I am suggesting that drivers who see a rider wearing a fluoro jacket will be making different assumptions about how that rider will react to those they would be making if the rider was naked. I'm sure this is true of motorcyclists themselves as well. I'll assume there to be a difference between the rider of a big white faired bike wearing full gear, a white helmet and a fluoro vest and a guy in jeans and a T shirt on a scraped up streetfighter.

I've forgotten what I was saying at the start of this post it was so long ago but I think my point was: Do you think cagers might take less care around a fluoro vested rider assuming him (or her) to be less likely to crash?

I've noticed that people notice me more when I'm wearing my safety vest than when I'm not. Might help if I had brightly coloured riding gear though. Ditto the headlight. Someone mentioned riding like they haven't seen you anyway - well, yeah, but why not stack the odds in your favour as much as possible?

duckonin
20th October 2009, 09:39

You may be a reason ACC is down on those that ride bikes:mad:, those over forty should get free Rego for wearing clothing that can be seen.:dodge:

hobbes
10th November 2009, 21:31
I hate the vests and have only ever worn them when marshalling etc, as I hate the way they flap and move and can be a danger in their own right.
However, when I changed out my ancient blue&grey jacket, I upgraded to the Teknic Freeway (great jacket by the way) and at zero cost choose the Fluro yellow version (http://www.teknicgear.com/freeway-jacket).

The immediate change in cage drivers around me was very noticable; most certainly see me earlier and less f'wits pull out in front of me. ... some even get out of the way when I pull up !
Ok, so it helps I ride a tall blue/white enduro these days, have a whitish helmet and ride my space... Heck even my wife thought I was a :Police: when I rocked up first time, and she knew the bike!

Yeah, i get a few comments from you old school boys out there.... but no matter how much we pay the titwits at ACC, I prefer to minimise my chances to need 'm because some twit "didn't see me".

Still: Ride like all are out to get you... most are... they just don't know it !

phred
10th November 2009, 22:11
I wouldn't wear a helmet in case it messed my hair up and I don't wear leather as I'm a vegetarian. I am also not sure about killing a cordura as they are endangered so I ride in jandals and a tee shirt.

And WTF you gonna iron the protest transfer onto if'n ya don have a hivis???:doh:

I GS 1
11th November 2009, 00:13
I wouldn't wear a helmet in case it messed my hair up and I don't wear leather as I'm a vegetarian. I am also not sure about killing a cordura as they are endangered so I ride in jandals and a tee shirt.

And WTF you gonna iron the protest transfer onto if'n ya don have a hivis???:doh: Yeah - I like that

I find riding to work in the city, motorists are more likely to actually register that they have seen you - definitely there is less looking at you and then pulling out in front of you. On the open road I'm not sure if they work. The most noticeable difference is how other motorcyclists react to you - they definitely see you, a lot less actually wave at you, and if you pass them their indicator tends to come on and they let a large gap build up rather than try and follow you. (I suppose I don't really care because yes I'm well over 40 and if I come off my bones won't heal as quick)

LBD
11th November 2009, 04:00
I wear mine in Dull/wet weather and at night time....Have it with me most the time.

Biker specific, but don't recall the brand

Elastic sides no flapping...tested at naughty speeds

YellowDog
11th November 2009, 05:23
I just don't like them at all. Your bike is a an illuminated vehicle on the road. I'd rather my brake lights be more visible than my vest and distracting the car drivers with a 'Can't be missed' vest is not the best way of doing this.

Police is should have to wear them so we are able to see them sooner and then slow down before the ticket.

I have to wear one for work or I'd get fired, but then I am already illuminated like a Christmas tree.

The only time I think tht the vests help is when viewed from the side.

Subike
11th November 2009, 05:47
dont wear pink
go to the link and look only at the black cross in the center of the pic for 5 seconds

http://co116w.col116.mail.live.com/mail/SafeRedirect.aspx?hm__tg=http://65.55.40.167/att/GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3dd12100c4-ffb1-44bf-b135-e1a2eecd8f64.gif%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvZ2lm%26name%3dQVRU MTEuZ2lm%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26 imgsrc%3dcid%253a1D9F00E0-0934-4703-B3B2-2E26501DBD3F&oneredir=1&ip=10.12.158.8&d=d1571&mf=0&a=01_81a56fcce4ec81959633fd0364bc3c98212fda234200c 0c47813c128161b157a

now think about what you really see with your eyes

pyrocam
11th November 2009, 14:10
dont wear pink
go to the link and look only at the black cross in the center of the pic for 5 seconds

http://co116w.col116.mail.live.com/mail/SafeRedirect.aspx?hm__tg=http://65.55.40.167/att/GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3dd12100c4-ffb1-44bf-b135-e1a2eecd8f64.gif%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvZ2lm%26name%3dQVRU MTEuZ2lm%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26 imgsrc%3dcid%253a1D9F00E0-0934-4703-B3B2-2E26501DBD3F&oneredir=1&ip=10.12.158.8&d=d1571&mf=0&a=01_81a56fcce4ec81959633fd0364bc3c98212fda234200c 0c47813c128161b157a

now think about what you really see with your eyes

have you linked us to a picture you received in your webmail?

that wont work very well

ridenshine
16th December 2009, 06:01
We may soon all have to use these vests as ACC are looking at these along with light colored helmets. HD sell an orange one in the U.S and I've seen a couple of people use them here but I think they still SUCK.

swbarnett
16th December 2009, 10:25
We may soon all have to use these vests as ACC are looking at these along with light colored helmets.
I will wear a high-vis vest or a light coloured helmet the day they outlaw black cars!

And the next day I will emigrate to a country where I'm free to run my life the way I see fit!

pyrocam
16th December 2009, 11:22
ACC != LTSA
What does it matter if they are looking at them, they are not the governing body for such regulations. (are they?)

not saying they are thinking of this but, would you wear a visi-vest if it meant you saved $50 a year on rego?

swbarnett
16th December 2009, 12:36
not saying they are thinking of this but, would you wear a visi-vest if it meant you saved $50 a year on rego?
Definately not!

And I wouldn't pay the extra $50 either!

What I wear while riding is a personal decision and nobody (even my wife and especially the government) has any right to enforce a decision upon me. This includes the helmet law which I would remove in a heartbeat given the chance. (I would wear one regardless)

Law or no law I will wear what I want to wear - nothing more and nothing less.

davereid
16th December 2009, 12:55
When we drive, our conscious brain moves on, leaving a primitive part of the brain in charge. We actually drive by instinct, with the primitive brain, only passing on data that it has judged to be significant to the conscious mind.

When we come to an intersection, if the light is red, we stop wihout really being aware of it. Same if its green. Only if it turns amber does the conscious brain have to make decisions, and get involved.

Same with right-of-way situations. The primitive brain already knows the three reactions - go, stop, decision required.

The brain is looking for a threat, once it was lions and enemies, now it is other vehicles.

I think that the motorcycle, sometimes doesnt cross the threshold to become a threat. The primitive brain discards the data, and the motorist proceeds, violating the bikers right of way, even though he looked.

Its just that he was looking for lions or enemies, and the brain saw neither.

Hi vis vests work, because we see a flash of colour that we cant instantly process, so the conscious brain gets asked "whats that ?"

Once we have hi-vis gear everywhere, on every biker, cyclist, cop, road worker, its my prediction that the effectiveness of them will drop.

They will become just another neon light on the strip, obvious to all yet completely un-noticed by most.

ridenshine
16th December 2009, 17:23
[QUOTE=pyrocam;1129571819]ACC != LTSA
What does it matter if they are looking at them, they are not the governing body for such regulations. (are they?)

Maybe not but if they tell our dictators thats whats needed then it will be done.
No I don't wear a vest or want to but then back in the day I thought I should be the one to say if I'd wear a helmet too.:angry2:

CrAzYMoFo
18th December 2009, 08:13
When we drive, our conscious brain moves on, leaving a primitive part of the brain in charge. We actually drive by instinct, with the primitive brain, only passing on data that it has judged to be significant to the conscious mind.

When we come to an intersection, if the light is red, we stop wihout really being aware of it. Same if its green. Only if it turns amber does the conscious brain have to make decisions, and get involved.

Same with right-of-way situations. The primitive brain already knows the three reactions - go, stop, decision required.

The brain is looking for a threat, once it was lions and enemies, now it is other vehicles.

I think that the motorcycle, sometimes doesnt cross the threshold to become a threat. The primitive brain discards the data, and the motorist proceeds, violating the bikers right of way, even though he looked.

Its just that he was looking for lions or enemies, and the brain saw neither.

Hi vis vests work, because we see a flash of colour that we cant instantly process, so the conscious brain gets asked "whats that ?"

Once we have hi-vis gear everywhere, on every biker, cyclist, cop, road worker, its my prediction that the effectiveness of them will drop.

They will become just another neon light on the strip, obvious to all yet completely un-noticed by most.

this is completely correct..... almost

the hi vis vests still do not make people stop to think. If they make people think at all most of the time its half way through the turn when they are Half way over you and your bike and feel the bump

what alot of people do see as a threat and take notice of are the gang members on there big choopers/crusers cause people see them as a threat
they prob have the least problems on the road those guys lol other than the cops stopping them every chance they get

pyrocam
18th December 2009, 09:31
this is completely correct..... almost

the hi vis vests still do not make people stop to think. If they make people think at all most of the time its half way through the turn when they are Half way over you and your bike and feel the bump

what alot of people do see as a threat and take notice of are the gang members on there big choopers/crusers cause people see them as a threat
they prob have the least problems on the road those guys lol other than the cops stopping them every chance they get

would you wear leather tassels if it meant you saved $50 a year on rego?

BikerDazz
18th December 2009, 16:56
would you wear leather tassels if it meant you saved $50 a year on rego?

:2thumbsup what a crackup:lol::rofl:

ah, you couldn't pay me to wear a gay hi-viz vest or homo-erotic leather tassles.

LBD
18th December 2009, 18:53

ah, you couldn't pay me to wear a gay hi-viz vest or homo-erotic leather tassles.

I wear a high Viz vest and I am not gay....wanna step out side sonny?

28 accident free years of some pretty steady riding indicates I must be doing something right. Hows your accident / near miss record looking?

BikerDazz
18th December 2009, 19:15
I wear a high Viz vest and I am not gay....wanna step out side sonny?

28 accident free years of some pretty steady riding indicates I must be doing something right. Hows your accident / near miss record looking?

no disrespect meant sunshine and given your locale might be a bit hard to 'step out,' tough guy.

I told my wife that I'd be all hi-viz when I got a bike but when it came down to buying gears I foudn that I couldn't go past all black.

I've been driving or riding for 26 years and haven't crashed anything, touch wood, in about the last 20.

All entitled to our opinions:girlfight:

swbarnett
18th December 2009, 20:55
Very true. It's when other's opinions that differ strongly from my own become law that I start to object.

LBD
18th December 2009, 22:29
no disrespect meant sunshine and given your locale might be a bit hard to 'step out,' tough guy.

I told my wife that I'd be all hi-viz when I got a bike but when it came down to buying gears I foudn that I couldn't go past all black.

I've been driving or riding for 26 years and haven't crashed anything, touch wood, in about the last 20.

Was a metaphorical "step out side" And it is a bit cool to step out side....over here.

So there is nothing conclusive to be drawn from our respective riding records....and I have only been using a vest for s short time....Would be interesing to get some accurate data....

BikerDazz
19th December 2009, 10:07
Was a metaphorical "step out side" And it is a bit cool to step out side....over here.

So there is nothing conclusive to be drawn from our respective riding records....and I have only been using a vest for s short time....Would be interesing to get some accurate data....

All good homes.
Actually I crashed everything when I was young, but maybe that's made me a better driver/rider for the experience.
:2thumbsup

BikerDazz
19th December 2009, 10:08
Very true. It's when other's opinions that differ strongly from my own become law that I start to object.

+1 on that:oi-grr:

swbarnett
19th December 2009, 12:18
Accurate data does exist. The study I heard about came out in favour of vests being of benefit. However, the riders that were studied were already vest wearers. The fact that vest wearers are, no average, safer than not vest wearers is more than likely because they are more careful riders in the first place - with or without the vest.

Correlation does not imply causation.

varminter
19th December 2009, 18:26

From now on I shall be riding in a lion suit.

Lucy
21st December 2009, 02:28

But you ride a Scorpio? :Oops:

BikerDazz
21st December 2009, 16:41
But you ride a Scorpio? :Oops:

Ooh, low blow - but point taken beearch:wari:

Gareth51
21st December 2009, 21:15
Do they hi-viz in BLACK

Lucy
22nd December 2009, 17:41
Ooh, low blow - but point taken beearch:wari:

As an ex-GN rider, I had to take the shot. Sorry about that...:girlfight:

BikerDazz
22nd December 2009, 17:50
As an ex-GN rider, I had to take the shot. Sorry about that...:girlfight:

I was gonna say "at least it's not a GN!" :2thumbsup

Lucy
22nd December 2009, 17:58
I was gonna say "at least it's not a GN!" :2thumbsup

I loved my GN, and now that I am bikeless find myself looking at them on tardme. Nearly bid on a GN 400 recently. They go so nicely with my white helmet and high vis jacket.

Will probably get a Yamaha 225 though, dual purpose though, not the Scorpio.

BikerDazz
22nd December 2009, 18:11
I loved my GN, and now that I am bikeless find myself looking at them on tardme. Nearly bid on a GN 400 recently. They go so nicely with my white helmet and high vis jacket.

Will probably get a Yamaha 225 though, dual purpose though, not the Scorpio.

Good luck with that.

Just wait till I get my big wheels licence then I'll be real flash (the scorpio has been a bloody good little commuter though).:scooter: