PDA

View Full Version : RRRR 2011 (Round Ruahine Range Ride), 19-20 March

bart
3rd March 2011, 19:43
Short notice I know, but I haven't had a bike for a couple of months. This year we're doing it backwards

Date = March 19th and 20th

Start = Woodville 9am.

Saturday = Ride the Makairo track, Towai, Bart Farm (depending on weather), Little Manuhara, Akitio, Herbertville, and north following the coast to Napier. Will add as many 'interesting' sections as time allows.

Stay = *UPDATE* Waipawa camp ground

Sunday = Gentle Annie (possibly a few side tracks), Taihape, south following close to the range, Takapari, Ashhurst, whatever.

Distance = 600km ish

If we get good weather, there will be spectacular views. Bring a camera.

This will be a leisurely ride with many stops. 50% winding seal, 45% gravel, 5% difficult track.

Plenty of options for the not so adventurous. :second:

Good fuel range will be required (200km +)

Who's in?

Previous Rides:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/117874-RRRR-(Round-Ruahine-Range-Ride)-6-7-March-2010
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/118216-RRRR-2010-March-6-7

Calendar:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=2764&day=2011-3-19

Aslan
3rd March 2011, 20:23
got my interest Bart - will consult with my wife re our 'together' plans and commit or decline ASAP - Cheers for organising and pleased for you that you have your bike back

marks
3rd March 2011, 20:24
)Who's in?

sounds like a stupid idea

but what the hell

I'm in

junkmanjoe
3rd March 2011, 20:29
Hmmmm....:)

gav24
3rd March 2011, 20:29
Too close to baby number 2 arrival date for me to be away from the other half (and a half).
No option for you guys to head up to camp at the hot pools this year? Great ride last year Bart man. Sad to miss it this year:rolleyes:

young1
3rd March 2011, 20:30
Thanks Bart, I have a 50th to go to that weekend so can't make it. Would have been good to do it again and also to catch up with everyone (even Marks lol)

marks
3rd March 2011, 20:43
Thanks Bart, I have a 50th to go to that weekend so can't make it. Would have been good to do it again and also to catch up with everyone (even Marks lol)

funnily enough I have a 50th to go to as well that weekend - but I have my priorities right :bleh:

bart
3rd March 2011, 21:15
got my interest Bart - will consult with my wife re our 'together' plans and commit or decline ASAP - Cheers for organising and pleased for you that you have your bike back

Be good if you could make it. I haven't actualy got the bike back yet, but should have it any day.....I hope. :eek:

sounds like a stupid idea

but what the hell

I'm in

I'm real good at stupid ideas :innocent:

Too close to baby number 2 arrival date for me to be away from the other half (and a half).
No option for you guys to head up to camp at the hot pools this year? Great ride last year Bart man. Sad to miss it this year:rolleyes:

Camping? :weird:

It's a shame you can't make the most unorganised, organised ride of the year. :eek:

.chris
3rd March 2011, 22:53
How dare you organise this so late, now I need to find somewhere free to stay for the week after this ride so I can go to both this ride and the tussock buster.

GPS MAN
4th March 2011, 05:56
I'll be there..or is that here????:eek:

Anyway, I'll be there!

Should be a lot of fun....if anything like last year:scooter:

bart
4th March 2011, 16:48
How dare you organise this so late, now I need to find somewhere free to stay for the week after this ride so I can go to both this ride and the tussock buster.

Come on, you can make it. You promised me a ride on that orange thing. :msn-wink:

I'll be there..or is that here????:eek:

Anyway, I'll be there!

Should be a lot of fun....if anything like last year:scooter:

Awesome Wade. I'll try get us through that station again. I'd better ring in advance this time. :niceone:

Oh, and the black beast is back....:wings:

Pampera
5th March 2011, 16:04
Short notice I know, but I haven't had a bike for a couple of months. This year we're doing it backwards

Date = March 19th and 20th

Start = Woodville 9am.

Who's in?

I too am planning on coming along.

Note that when Mark, Steven and I go on a ride "together", our definition of being "together" is that we do not allow ourselves to get more than 200 km away from others in the "group". Hopefully on this ride we might be within visual range occasionally!

Michael M

marks
5th March 2011, 16:18
Note that when Mark, Steven and I go on a ride "together", our definition of being "together" is that we do not allow ourselves to get more than 200 km away from others in the "group". Hopefully on this ride we might be within visual range occasionally!

Michael M

we are very strict about the 200km limit though - don't want anyone to get lost or left behind or miss the ferry...

at least one of the 'fractured four' spent all his holiday time enjoying nice dry weather (give or take an hour or so on the way to Karamea)

thanks for acting as the 'resident rain magnet' and dragging all the clag over to the east side - I appreciated it :bleh:

Box'a'bits
5th March 2011, 21:02
I'm going to be checking my Lotto tickets very carefully for the next few weeks. Barring a win, I dont think I am going to be able to make this one...:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

bart
5th March 2011, 21:25
I'm going to be checking my Lotto tickets very carefully for the next few weeks. Barring a win, I dont think I am going to be able to make this one...:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

You'd do it in one tank of gas....:bleh:

What does it cost to fill that thing of yours anyway?

Tony W
6th March 2011, 09:23
Hey Bart. Might have a few starters for the Sunday. See yiz at the Westshore . . . if not before :msn-wink:

bart
6th March 2011, 20:28
Hey Bart. Might have a few starters for the Sunday. See yiz at the Westshore . . . if not before :msn-wink:

Awesome Tony. :scooter:

.chris
6th March 2011, 20:43
Come on, you can make it. You promised me a ride on that orange thing. :msn-wink:

Sorry, might have to let you down, I think with every 2nd weekend away riding already, I will be pushing it to get away one of those weekends in-between.
You might have to come up north for a ride, doing the KCAR?

bart
6th March 2011, 21:59
You might have to come up north for a ride, doing the KCAR?

Thinking about it. :yes:

marks
6th March 2011, 22:02

I'd rather meet you half way through the Gentle Annie with a few light refreshments.....

bart
9th March 2011, 21:36
There may be a couple of issues with accomodation. Seems to be a lot on that weekend in Napier. I'll figure something out. If all else fails, we could sleep under a bridge or something.

marks
9th March 2011, 22:03
There may be a couple of issues with accomodation. Seems to be a lot on that weekend in Napier. I'll figure something out. If all else fails, we could sleep under a bridge or something.

its only a couple of hours to go through to Taihape
plenty of accommodation there
that hot you chick might be working where we had lunch last time through............:yes:

.chris
9th March 2011, 22:34
Thinking about it. :yes:
You really should, a ride on the 690 on the 42nd traverse would be well worth the trip up.

Eddieb
10th March 2011, 06:13
I'll be doing a cruisy run through fishers and 42nd that weekend with 5150 and hopefully NZKTM, planning on staying at Taumaranui saturday night as usual.

Tony W
10th March 2011, 16:26

Bart, me, Johnny and Ed could take about six people overnight in our flats in Napier.
We could take 12 if they wanted to sleep on floor ! . . . so don't worry guys.

Tony W
10th March 2011, 16:39
I'd rather meet you half way through the Gentle Annie with a few light refreshments.....

ARE YOU MAD ???

. . . there is NO pub out there :drinkup:. . .

marks
10th March 2011, 17:37
ARE YOU MAD ???

. . . there is NO pub out there :drinkup:. . .

http://webcoda.com/images/bike/IMG_1151.jpg

http://webcoda.com/images/bike/IMG_1156.jpg

Tony W
10th March 2011, 19:11
Feck ! there is no alibi with cnuntz like you around:yes:

GSers
12th March 2011, 12:57
Whats Makiro like at the moment I could do with a weekend away do you want to push the WHALE through there.
GSers

bart
12th March 2011, 19:23
Bart, me, Johnny and Ed could take about six people overnight in our flats in Napier.
We could take 12 if they wanted to sleep on floor ! . . . so don't worry guys.

Wow...thanks for the generous offer Tony. I'll see what happens this week. How much beer have you got in your fridge? :innocent:

bart
12th March 2011, 19:43
its only a couple of hours to go through to Taihape
plenty of accommodation there
that hot you chick might be working where we had lunch last time through............:yes:

This is an option, but it's going to make Saturday pretty rushed. We'll probably miss the Mangaohane station bit (but could always double back and do this on Sunday). I was also keen on heading up to Comet hut in the Annie. This is a dead end, in and back job, that would take about an hour. Not spectacular, but worth a look. :headbang:

bart
12th March 2011, 19:50
Whats Makiro like at the moment I could do with a weekend away do you want to push the WHALE through there.
GSers

Hey dude. I've seen you ride that monster GS. You'll have no problems through the Makairo. Slow and steady wins the race. :cool:

I might go give the new motor a shake down tomorrow, and do a quick lap of the Makairo. I haven't been for a real ride for over 2 months. :(

GSers
12th March 2011, 20:09
Hey dude. I've seen you ride that monster GS. You'll have no problems through the Makairo. Slow and steady wins the race. :cool:

I might go give the new motor a shake down tomorrow, and do a quick lap of the Makairo. I haven't been for a real ride for over 2 months. :(

I will see how this week goes and make a decision mid week and put my name on the list if I am going to come. Went out fo a short ride today make sure I was still good. seemed OK. Cheers GSers

gav24
13th March 2011, 15:25

Hey Bart, Baby came just over 2 weeks early! 2nd little boy, Sam. Mother in law arrived from UK on same day - Willing live in babysitter for 2 year old Tom. Looking like I could get a pass out, maybe, possibly....
Will let you know, probably be a last minute thing though...
(Last year the RRRR was the missus' Birthday weekend so stranger things have happened!)

Hope to see you guys soon - wish me luck:rolleyes:

bart
13th March 2011, 19:35
Hey Bart, Baby came just over 2 weeks early! 2nd little boy, Sam.

Congrats man. That's awesome. Hope alls well with Mum and Bubs.

Your life just became so much more complicated. You'd better take every opportunity you can, so you might as well come along. :baby:

What sort of bald crappy tyre have you got on this year? I'm running an MT60....it's pretty shit. :banana:

gav24
14th March 2011, 12:14
Unfortunately I have a pretty knobbly Michelin T63 or some such... BUT....
Lurking in between the freezer and the workbench is a choice of a 'good' old part worn Vee Rubber Death wish, or even an old (like 30+ years) trials tyre:clap:
Think that that may be an 18inch though. Doh - Death wish it is then - like last year bro, I'll bring a pen to draw on some tread by the end of those gravel road drift comps with you and Wade:cool::headbang:

GPS MAN
14th March 2011, 15:15
Congrats Gav!!! That's great!:baby:

Like Bart said you better take it, if they let you out of the house!

Looking like it will be a great ride..according to Metvuw :drool:

See you there

GPS MAN
14th March 2011, 15:18
Hey Bart....with the "Horse of the Year" thingie going on ..all motels are booked...

I can put several up at my house....If they don't mind sleeping on the floor:whocares:

Let me know what you work out....

gav24
14th March 2011, 18:57
[QUOTE=GPS MAN;1130011071]..all motels are booked...

QUOTE]

Camping , camping , camping, camping!:headbang:
What about those hotpools up that track and over the river Y'all never did last year? Cant quite remember the name or where they were - fairly near Napier or at the end of the Gentle Annie?
Is that an option?
I can offer a "ride your bike through the river" service:clap: You would just need to pack waders for a dry walk across... ( I got gore-tex socks for chrimbo!)
Dont worry about gear - you should see what i took last year... (queue barts photo of the back of the DR...)

All of this is very hypothetiaclly as my chance of a pass-out is probably hoverring around the 3-4% mark:(

marks
14th March 2011, 19:13
Congrats Gav

get the women folk yabbering over a nice cup of tea and they won't even notice you slip out the door....

You can keep your heretic camping talk and shove it where the sun don't shine

Waipuk has cheap nasty cabins - or is that close enough to Napier to fill up with overflow visitors from the horse thingy?

gav24
14th March 2011, 19:20
...and shove it where the sun don't shine

In the garage next to my riding gear then...:(

marks
14th March 2011, 19:24
In the garage next to my riding gear then...:(

I'll be at the Waikanae coffee cart at 7.30

Don't be late :yes:

gav24
15th March 2011, 20:01
I'll be at the Waikanae coffee cart at 7.30

Don't be late :yes:

Dont wait for me too long either...
So...Little...Sleep!...New...Baby...Waking ....Up ...whole...house...all...night:sleep:
(Never actually seen someone fall asleep whilst riding...)
Night night all. ZZZZzzzzzz:sleep::baby:

stormtrooper
15th March 2011, 20:16
Tony has droped in and was asking questions about the RRRR this weekend are you going?
Do we get to do the beach run this time and camp out over the river and what about the hot pools?, i looked at my partner that by the way is five weeks from giving birth, hey tonys asking if i am going on the RRRR this weekend, she said this might be your last chance to get out.
My bags packed pitty about the state of the tyres on the KLR but hey they ant really bad might have to wear ear plugs this time round due to the sound the new pipe is producing.

Hope to catch everyone this weekend depending on the weather

marks
15th March 2011, 20:25
might have to wear ear plugs this time round due to the sound the new pipe is producing.

I'm sorry - we don't ride with noisy bikes - you best get it fixed before the weekend :yes:

bart
15th March 2011, 20:47
Dudes. There's a few issues with accomodation. There's nothing available in Napier of Hastings because of those bloody horsey people. I've got a couple of plans up my sleeve. Currently looking at Waipawa where there may be rooms at the pub or tent sites available in the camp ground. Still looking into this, but there doesn't seem to be any cabins available anywhere.

I should have something confirmed tomorrow

bart
15th March 2011, 20:53
I'm sorry - we don't ride with noisy bikes - you best get it fixed before the weekend :yes:

Yeah. No hoons allowed on this ride. :nono:

And don't forget the 'bald tyre challenge'.

GPS MAN
16th March 2011, 12:34
Dudes. There's a few issues with accomodation. There's nothing available in Napier of Hastings because of those bloody horsey people. I've got a couple of plans up my sleeve. Currently looking at Waipawa where there may be rooms at the pub or tent sites available in the camp ground. Still looking into this, but there doesn't seem to be any cabins available anywhere.

I should have something confirmed tomorrow

Hey Bart...I just live up the road in Otane...there is one extra bed and plenty of camping space at my place..

Just a thought

Wade

bart
16th March 2011, 12:37
I was only joking about the above. Hoons welcome. :headbang:

It turns out to be a sucky weekend for accomodation in Hawkes Bay. Horsey stuff, speedway, and some has been, one hit wonder (well I can only think of one of his songs), Lionel Ritchie playing. :baby:

So, we've got a couple of options.

- We can pretend we're real adventurous and tent it (there's plenty of camp sites available of the 'non roof' kind).
- Head through to Taihape, which will make Saturday rushed, and we'll miss all the good stuff.
- Take up the kind offer from other KBers and drink thier fridges dry of cordial.
- Postpone for another weekend.
- Be REAL hardcore and tent at the hotsprings (will also make Saturday rushed, and have to carry everything)

My pick is to tent at Waipawa camp ground (beside a river, walking distance to food, pub, gas etc). We'd catch the tide right for the beach section late Saturday. There may be a 3 person flat type thing at the pub available for softies (Commercial Hotel).

Your thoughts. :cool:

bart
16th March 2011, 12:39
Hey Bart...I just live up the road in Otane...there is one extra bed and plenty of camping space at my place..

Just a thought

Wade

Cheers Wade. The other option is to throw on a tent and sleeping bag and just make it up as we go along. That's usually my plan. :rolleyes:

marks
16th March 2011, 12:56
I think the weekend has to happen regardless (too much other stuff coming up so we'll never get another date sorted.

the Waipawa option sounds best
I'll look for a motel/hotel in Waipawa or Waipuck as camping with the great unwashed is beneath me.

Pampera
16th March 2011, 17:47
It turns out to be a sucky weekend for accomodation in Hawkes Bay. Horsey stuff, speedway, and some has been, one hit wonder (well I can only think of one of his songs), Lionel Ritchie playing. :baby:
Your thoughts. :cool:

Bart,
given this situation I (and my shiny brand new side cover) will pull out.
Shame about the clash with other, lesser, events. Many thanks for the effort.

Michael

bart
16th March 2011, 21:46
Bart,
given this situation I (and my shiny brand new side cover) will pull out.
Shame about the clash with other, lesser, events. Many thanks for the effort.

Michael

Shame you can't make it Michael. Looks like the weather's going to be awesome. Can't wait. :banana:

Aslan
17th March 2011, 19:15
Bart et al - have a great ride - I'm doing the Pukemanu the following weekend and need to have some 'family' time this weekend

Have fun you all - ride safe Cheers Aslan

gav24
17th March 2011, 19:39
So sorry, I'm out now too guys...
After a discussion with the missus, I really cant sneak out... :nono::nono:
Too much "other stuff" not just new baby related, but kind of poo stuff like fixing stuff at the rental etc etc.
I have been hanging out for a good ride like this as well. The thought of no fixed accomodation made the ride sound like even more fun! I'll just spend the weekend sulking and jealously read the reports next week:rolleyes:
Sad me :(

bart
17th March 2011, 19:48
That's a real shame guys. Never mind. I'm going anyway, and I'll take heaps of photos. :cool:

GSers
17th March 2011, 19:56
That's a real shame guys. Never mind. I'm going anyway, and I'll take heaps of photos. :cool:

Pikers, :banana::banana:pretty sure I will turn up tent bed roll fart sack.
GSers

marks
17th March 2011, 20:02
Looks like Tony is out as well

Bart - maybe you need to change deodorants?

Are you going from Woodville directly to the Makiro?

I was thinking of heading over the track to Pahiatua - grabbing a quick coffee and gassing up and meeting you guys at the start of the Makiro at ??? 9.30?

bart
17th March 2011, 22:06
Looks like Tony is out as well

Bart - maybe you need to change deodorants?

Are you going from Woodville directly to the Makiro?

I was thinking of heading over the track to Pahiatua - grabbing a quick coffee and gassing up and meeting you guys at the start of the Makiro at ??? 9.30?

What deodorant....oh....that might be my problem...

If everyone's pulling out, we could always go like shit and make it a one dayer. Would have to change the route a bit, and would probably be best going clockwise.

I don't care. I just want to ride.

marks
17th March 2011, 22:18
I don't care. I just want to ride.

me too

who's left?

you me and Wade?

I'm coming equipped for an overnighter

shall we meet somewhere (woodville or pahiatua??) and decide over a coffee

GPS MAN
18th March 2011, 05:30
I'll be there!

I think xrjohnny and Dr Girl are planning on being there? think?

Anyway...if it is going to be a very short crew...why don't we just stay at my house in Otane?

My thoughts...................................

bart
18th March 2011, 06:51
I'll be there!

Anyway...if it is going to be a very short crew...why don't we just stay at my house in Otane?

Could be a plan

marks
18th March 2011, 06:54
I'll be there!

sounds like a plan if our esteemed leader agrees

perhaps your spare bed could be reserved for the most senior member of the group?:baby:

bart
18th March 2011, 12:30
OK, here's the plan (bit of a moving target, I know). I've really got no idea who's turing up, so, meeting place will now be the start (west side) of the Makairo track at 9.30ish.

People from the south can meet Mark at the coffee place in Pahiatua around 9am (earlier if you insist on one of those bucket size cups of chino).

Riders from the north can meet at my place 9am-ish (you can show the way Wade). Anyone need my address, let me know.

You'll need full tanks of gas heading towards the Makairo, as it'll be a long way to more gas.

Awesome.

Night Falcon
18th March 2011, 16:33
where exactly you lads meetin? might tag along for satdee if thats ok? will be heading from havelock north any one else heading down from this way I can follow?

GPS MAN
18th March 2011, 16:54
where exactly you lads meetin? might tag along for satdee if thats ok? will be heading from havelock north any one else heading down from this way I can follow?

Dr Girl and xrjohnny are meeting me at the BP in Waipawa at 7:30 AM if you want to tag along...

We will drop down to Bart's house in D'verk for a cup of tea or coffee then off to the great unknown..

Night Falcon
18th March 2011, 17:31
Dr Girl and xrjohnny are meeting me at the BP in Waipawa at 7:30 AM if you want to tag along...

We will drop down to Bart's house in D'verk for a cup of tea or coffee then off to the great unknown..

Cheers will see ya there!

marks
18th March 2011, 19:01
then off to the great unknown..

See you all at the start of the Makiro at 9.30 (give or take a latte)

GSers
18th March 2011, 20:29
See you all at the start of the Makiro at 9.30 (give or take a latte)

I will catch up with you in Pahiatua around 9.00am. Bags are packed GSers

stormtrooper
19th March 2011, 05:36
Loaded up and ready to roll, me and Tony will be leaving at around 7am to meet with Mark, catch up with everyone this morning.

bart
19th March 2011, 07:25
Sun is shining, light breeze, this should be awesome. :banana::clap:

Night Falcon
19th March 2011, 18:32
A great days riding .....thanks bart for all your help. It was nice to meet some more KBr's really enjoyed the company!

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/SpeedDaddy/2011-03-19095446.jpg

Those GS's are pretty heavy especially when ya lying under em:rolleyes:
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/SpeedDaddy/2011-03-19100922.jpg

Aslan
19th March 2011, 18:43
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/SpeedDaddy/2011-03-19100922.jpg[/IMG]

Having struggled through there on my GS - even allowing for GSers superior skill, this would have to have been fairly predictable given the nature of the Makiro and the weight of an 'oil head' Bimmer - good on you for your courage Gerard - I always approach the Makiro with some trepidation even on my far lighter DR :) - Glad you lads had a great day - envious of you - cheers Aslan

Box'a'bits
20th March 2011, 15:18
Okay guys, how did you get on. :(

Just so that you can tailor the stories appropriately to my needs, I want stories of horror rides, involved breakdowns, lack of preparedness, all items that will make me feel better about not being able to get out riding this weekend.

Unfortunately I see the weather has cruely cooperated, knowing that I couldn't participate - and allowing Mandy to consign me to gardening duties...:crybaby:

PS The words brilliant, best ever, excellent etc are unlikely to be well received..

bart
20th March 2011, 17:43
PS The words brilliant, best ever, excellent etc are unlikely to be well received..

Wow. What a BRILLIANT ride. Perhaps even the BEST EVER. I had an EXCELLENT time.

Home now. Knackered. Mega photos to sort through. Thanks guys. Awesome, best ever, brilliant, excellent weekend. :scooter:

junkmanjoe
20th March 2011, 18:35
ive seen that very same corner clam a bmw on one of our trips up the track..

JMJ

Night Falcon
20th March 2011, 19:10

Just so that you can tailor the stories appropriately to my needs, I want stories of horror rides, involved breakdowns, lack of preparedness, all items that will make me feel better about not being able to get out riding this weekend.

Unfortunately I see the weather has cruely cooperated, knowing that I couldn't participate - and allowing Mandy to consign me to gardening duties...:crybaby:

OK heres something to make you feel better you wernt there.....

It was my first time through the Makiro and whislt the sublime capabilities of the 690 were more than able to cope with the "jungle" like conditions it was presented with....narrow tracks, steep trails with ruts, mud, rocks and vines dangling from the lush canopy above, ready to catch an unsupecting mirror or rider as they navigated the trecherous paths of the seemingly endless trail to the few clearings where breath removing veiws over wild country as far as your vision could see, and beyond mountainous ranges with clouds hanging upon their tops like cotton wool on santa's beard awaited....alas the bald AT90 scorp rear tire was no match for the terrain making each calculated twist of the wrist akin to Russian roulette.....well it certainly made the riding EXCITING!! :gob::facepalm:

......and to think I gave up my day in the garden for that.:yes:

marks
20th March 2011, 19:12

Well - as far as variety goes - it would be the best ever:yes:
we rode a knarly track
we rode a couple of lumpy tacks
we had a brilliant blast up blackhead beach (and beyond)
we rode like absolute tits on some excellent sealed bits
we rode some truly horrendous gravel and some really great gravel
we met some new people to ride with (they aren't as inbred in the Hawkes Bays as I'd always thought)
we got mugged by an overgrown puppy called Memphis
more people fell off than stayed upright
one idiot put diesel in his beemer
another idiot broke his clutch lever exactly where he broke it last time.
another idiot tried to destroy one of his new pivot pegs

was a great way to spend a weekend :yes:
thanks Bart for organizing it - you done good again
Thanks Wade for the great accomodation (and for saving the spare bed for the most senior member)
you missed a good one

feeling better now?

GSers
20th March 2011, 19:19
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/SpeedDaddy/2011-03-19100922.jpg[/IMG]

Having struggled through there on my GS - even allowing for GSers superior skill, this would have to have been fairly predictable given the nature of the Makiro and the weight of an 'oil head' Bimmer - good on you for your courage Gerard - I always approach the Makiro with some trepidation even on my far lighter DR :) - Glad you lads had a great day - envious of you - cheers Aslan

Well all I can say is I fu*k up the nerves were all gone after that. Haven't done much riding for a couple of months and straight into the Makiro WELL but what a blast the weekend has been. Them there muscles or lack of are telling me now.
AND I WILL STICK WITH MARKS NAME FOR IT AND CALL IT A WHALE.
With 240kgs and me if it isn't going forward and you cant touch the ground then gravity takes over.
I must say I may have been the first one down but not the only victim of gravity in there I will let each tell their own story.
As for the rest of the weekend what a blast :yes::yes::yes: gravel sand grass great company good weather
And before anyone else gets in BP Ultimate Diesel doen't go so well in the tank.
Lucky I noticed after I had only put in 5 litres. A not so quick drain and a refil and away we go all in a good days outing.
The ride back from Taihape, south via the seal had all our tires sreaming for mercy,
there isn't and chicken strip on my back tire the side knobs are well worn. I think I have had me moneys worth out of it.
Thanks Bart and all the other riders who turned up for a ride that was looking like it was pretty undersubsribed.
Cheers GSers

stormtrooper
20th March 2011, 19:37
Wow. What a BRILLIANT ride. Perhaps even the BEST EVER. I had an EXCELLENT time.

Home now. Knackered. Mega photos to sort through. Thanks guys. Awesome, best ever, brilliant, excellent weekend. :scooter:

Yes another great fun ride and the weather was just awesome, had a blast of a time on the beach section and a pub meal and cold beer at the end of the day just perfect, cheers Bart for making it happen and Wade nice one mate camping out at your place was cool man. Great to meet some new faces out there.

STORMTROOPER

gav24
20th March 2011, 20:02
:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

:bye::bye::bye:

:violin::violin:

DEFINATELY next year

bart
20th March 2011, 20:56
It was good to see everyone was totally sensible, and there were no hoons.

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/bart-nz/RRRR%202011/IMG_0781.jpg

Plenty more to come.....tomorrow. :zzzz:

GPS MAN
21st March 2011, 10:59
What a GREATweekend:yes:

The weather was Great!and the ride could not have been better.....

Good to meet new KBr's.........

Now, looking forward to the next one...:2thumbsup

Night Falcon
21st March 2011, 17:17
heres some more shots of Saturday. It was a great day out. my nerves have almost come right after navigating all that ball bearing like gravel on a racing slick rear tire but I can say that DR Girl is a ledgend and I have new repect for the capabilities of the old GS1100 and as for the XR600...they can still roost gravel with the best of them!

bart
21st March 2011, 19:10
A few Makairo pics

234884 234885 234886 234887 234888 234889

bart
21st March 2011, 19:13
More Makairo pics

234890 234891 234892 234893 234894 234895

bart
21st March 2011, 19:14
Lazy, I know. I'll do captions for the rest.

234898 234897 234896

bart
21st March 2011, 20:09
Akitio.....

1. GSers
2. GPSman
3. Night Falcon
4. Stormtrooper
5. Night Falcon on the beach. See the shark fin in the background. This is actualy the Pleiades, a ship wreck from 1899.

234903 234900 234899 234902 234901

bart
21st March 2011, 20:39
6. that place with the stupidly long name
7. Must be a DR joke, because only the KLR riders are laughing
8. Quite a mix
9. DR girl - Blackhead beach
10. Gsers and Tony
11. :scooter:

234905 234908 234904 234909 234906 234907

bart
21st March 2011, 20:46
12. XRjohnny, giving it some
13. DRgirl getting through the soft stuff
14. Marks
15. Stormtrooper
16. Diesel in a GS....:facepalm: draining the tank.
17. Wade was very generous and offered accomodation. Full Moon.

234911 234916 234915 234914 234913 234912

And that ends day one

bart
21st March 2011, 21:09
A few dawn shots from Wade's house. What an awesome spot out in the country.

234941 234942 234943

Padmei
22nd March 2011, 07:04
Pah -Too much outside stuff & not enough cafe stops to be classed as real adv ride:angry:

NIce work guys - Bart those last pics were real nice, you've got a good eye for photos.

Eddieb
22nd March 2011, 07:36
Diesel in a GS....:facepalm: draining the tank.

Some would say that is appropriate fuel for a GS

A few dawn shots from Wade's house. What an awesome spot out in the country. 234943

That last shot is awesome Bart.

marks
22nd March 2011, 12:48
Some would say that is appropriate fuel for a GS.

my how quickly we turn on our discarded loves...

I took Gerards 1100 for a wee ride - I've never ridden anything that felt so glued to the gravel and so stable on the seal - the front brakes (which are a hodge podge) are so far ahead of the klrs it makes the klr feel like its got v-brakes. If I just wanted to do soft cock rides it would be a great choice :innocent:

That last shot is awesome Bart.

it doesn't seem fair that he can ride so damn fast on such rooted tyres and take such great photos does it.

DR Girl
22nd March 2011, 13:53
Thank you so much Bart for such an awesome day.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: There certainly was all sorts of terrain covered. Lucky for me only one silly, (almost standing still) off & a back wheel hanging over drop!!!:facepalm: Great to meet all the new faces. I had a fab time :yes::yes: Great photos Bart & guys. Thanks also Wade for your hospitality.

GSers
22nd March 2011, 17:30
I took Gerards 1100 for a wee ride - I've never ridden anything that felt so glued to the gravel and so stable on the seal - the front brakes (which are a hodge podge) are so far ahead of the klrs it makes the klr feel like its got v-brakes. If I just wanted to do soft cock rides it would be a great choice :innocent:

Perhaps us soft cocks should all start riding XRs GSers
pics from ADV

Night Falcon
22nd March 2011, 17:45

hummm wonder how she'd run on desiel??:shutup:

bart
22nd March 2011, 19:58
We woke to a stunning morning. The plan for day 2 was to hook through the Gentle Annie, lunch at Taihape, then head south for home. There were going to be a lot of road miles, but it was a great contrast to the previous day. I really enjoyed all the winding seal, and the trip through Mangaohane station is always awesome.

18. Mark looking way to comfortable on the GS
19. Is he turning into a BMW woofter :shutup:
20. GSers overlooking Hawkes Bay
21. GPSman

235081 235080 235083 235082

bart
22nd March 2011, 20:10
22. The road designer must have been drunk....good on him.
23. Mark through 'Shitbag Track'. I've been through this track 4 times and it's cost me 2 clutch levers and a gear lever. :facepalm:
24. Stinking track

235084 235086 235085

Thanks again guys for an awesome weekend. After not a lot of initial interest, it ended up being an awesome turnout. It was good to see some new faces. I didn't get many photos on day 2 because I was enjoying the riding so much.

Now, time to start planning next years run...

marks
22nd March 2011, 21:24
18. Mark looking way to comfortable on the GS
19. Is he turning into a BMW woofter :shutup:

I just checked
as I still have both my testicles I'm not qualified to own a bmw

really great photos
where was that winding road and who is it on the bike - looks cool

bart
22nd March 2011, 21:55
where was that winding road and who is it on the bike - looks cool

That's you. Matawhero Road. Just after Mangaohane station.

Larger versions of all these photos available in 'Barts Photos' in my signature. Go to folder RRRR 2011. Keep clicking photos until they come up BIG.

Howie
22nd March 2011, 22:14
23. Mark through 'Shitbag Track'. I've been through this track 4 times and it's cost me 2 clutch levers and a gear lever. :facepalm:
24. Stinking track

Come on Bart it's just a short little farm track if it's the one I think it is

Looks like you all had a great weekends riding.

.chris
24th March 2011, 08:05

Can you please plan a bit ahead of time for next year, give us far northerners a chance to make it eh!

:pinch:

bart
24th March 2011, 17:53
Can you please plan a bit ahead of time for next year, give us far northerners a chance to make it eh!

:pinch:

Pencil in the 10th and 11th March 2012. Enough notice for ya?

With a bit more planning, I can throw in a few more interesting bits. The good thing about this ride is I can change it each year, as the only aim is to do a lap of the Ruahine Range. :woohoo:

.chris
24th March 2011, 18:02
Pencil in the 10th and 11th March 2012. Enough notice for ya?

With a bit more planning, I can throw in a few more interesting bits. The good thing about this ride is I can change it each year, as the only aim is to do a lap of the Ruahine Range. :woohoo:

It's in my calendar, no excuses now eh!