PDA

View Full Version : Chain links?

ducatilover
3rd March 2011, 22:10
The ZZR400 is getting some new sprockets, 16t/48t compared to the standard high revving 14t/48t, am I going to need a longer chain? I'll be buying a new chain and one would only assume the factory specified 112 link chain will not suffice.
How the hell do I work this out without trial and error? :rolleyes:

F5 Dave
4th March 2011, 15:23
you don't. You buy 120 links & you need a chain tool to fit it anyway so cut to size. Fit a rivet link with said tool.

FJRider
4th March 2011, 15:31
Will the 2 extra teeth on the front sprocket make that much difference (as far as chain length goes) ... ???

I can't imagine at standard chain/sprockets setting ... the chain adjusters are fully in ....

F5 Dave
4th March 2011, 16:55
wait a minute! Sorry what???

you are going up 2 teeth on the front?!!

that is like 6 teeth down on the rear & will make it a total slug. it won't accelerate & every gear change will be a million revs apart. Std will usually be best, if anything gear it down for better accel, but that has some issues.

FJRider
4th March 2011, 17:00

that is like 6 teeth down on the rear & will make it a total slug. it won't accelerate & every gear change will be a million revs apart. Std will usually be best, if anything gear it down for better accel, but that has some issues.

My understanding was 1 tooth up in the front was 7 down in the back (sprockets) ... ???

I would have tried 5 or 6 teeth less on the back sprocket ... FIRST ...

bogan
4th March 2011, 17:09
doing about 6000rpm to do 100 isn't ideal though, this will knock it back to around 4500, would wanna look at a dyno chart to have a better idea how much you'll difference you'll feel between shift points.

If only you could reverse the gears in the box for 6th, 26-24 to 24-26 would give it some more legs!

Ocean1
4th March 2011, 17:11
Beats me how you lot survive past breakfast, it really does.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

bogan
4th March 2011, 17:15

where do you think I went to look up the rpm and gear data :msn-wink: they reckon it's a 49 on the rear stock though.

ducatilover
5th March 2011, 08:47

It's what was available at the right price, it's a ZZR, it's not going to be ridden quick and me, being me, will probably sell it instantly anyway.

you don't. You buy 120 links & you need a chain tool to fit it anyway so cut to size. Fit a rivet link with said tool.
I can't beleive I didn't realise that....:rolleyes: That's what I did last time.

doing about 6000rpm to do 100 isn't ideal though, this will knock it back to around 4500, would wanna look at a dyno chart to have a better idea how much you'll difference you'll feel between shift points.

If only you could reverse the gears in the box for 6th, 26-24 to 24-26 would give it some more legs! The gearing commander specs are out by a bit, it will be doing 5500rpm at 100k, the same as the CBeige, compared to the normal 7200 or so ridiculous revs.

The specs are out according to the Kawasaki owners manual, near enough though.

where do you think I went to look up the rpm and gear data :msn-wink: they reckon it's a 49 on the rear stock though.
They lie!!!!!! They also have some incorrect gear ratios on the CBeige too.

F5 Dave
7th March 2011, 08:41

Pocket calculator would suffice, 1:3 is a rule of thumb & in this case 18/54 is the same ratio as 16/48. (std vs +2 on frt & +6 on rear). But the proposed case is a hella shift.

Try it, lets us know how it goes :innocent: