PDA

View Full Version : My first post and 1st 100km (Madzen)

Madzen
6th March 2011, 18:29
So Ive had my GN250 (Angie) for just over a week now, and have done my first 100km ever on a bike. I love it, popping down to the shop it an adventure now LOL
Stopping on hills, tigh corners and lane spliting are a little daunting, but I know if I just keep riding I can only get better, Right!!!!!
I do have a newbie question for you guys,when you're starting from a stop and turning do you change gears (from 1st) as you're turning, or wait until you're moving more in a straight line.
Thank all,love reading the forums

Shane "I cant belive I waited this long to ride" Madzen

cave weta
6th March 2011, 18:36
It makes my old heart glad when I read that young riders are still getting into corners and feeling the thrill on these bikes. my mates in the 1980s were getting started on them.
Hard get out of town where you live but make the effort and hit the road to Cape palliser or something each weekend. It will do wonders for your confidence not having to cope with everyone else's bad road habits

FJRider
6th March 2011, 18:38
If the gear changes are smooth ... you should have no issues changing while turning ...

If they are still a little jerky ... a bit more practice first ...

And welcome to KB.

cave weta
6th March 2011, 18:39
So Ive had my GN250 (Angie) for just over a week now, and have done my first 100km ever on a bike. I love it, popping down to the shop it an adventure now LOL
Stopping on hills, tigh corners and lane spliting are a little daunting, but I know if I just keep riding I can only get better, Right!!!!!
I do have a newbie question for you guys,when you're starting from a stop and turning do you change gears (from 1st) as you're turning, or wait until you're moving more in a straight line.

wth regard to your question- at first you are safer to handle one thing at a time but within days you will be experimenting and finding that your bike is becoming an extention of yourself. You will be doing it without thinking in no time at all.

Mom
6th March 2011, 18:44

It makes the heart glad to read a post like this! Welcome to the world of 2 wheels and welcome to KB. The trusty GN is possibly the most forgiving learner bike you could ever ride. Take off in first, get moving and then change to second just before you make your turn. It will make the turn smoother. Turning in first will feel jerky and uncomfortable, think bunny hopping in a car. The rest will come with practise. Keep your eyes open for the SMIDNSY brigade, and develop a keen spidey sense.

trailblazer
6th March 2011, 20:01
welcome to kb and to the world of two wheels. Just take your time and learn one thing at a time it will all come to you quicker than you relise. Have fun out there.

YellowDog
6th March 2011, 20:07
Welcome to KB.

Great question and good you were not shy to ask.

Mom seems to have answered it pretty well.

Ride Safely :yes:

Toaster
6th March 2011, 20:14
You named your bike?! Dude....

Enjoy the adventure that is motorcycling.

The Everlasting
6th March 2011, 20:15
Welcome to KB,and the world of motorbikes.

Hellzie
6th March 2011, 21:02
Yay for firsts!! I had one today too- first time up the steep driveway!!! Wooooop!!!

Madzen
6th March 2011, 21:16
Take off in first, get moving and then change to second just before you make your turn. It will make the turn smoother. Turning in first will feel jerky and uncomfortable, think bunny hopping in a car. The rest will come with practise. Keep your eyes open for the SMIDNSY brigade, and develop a keen spidey sense.

Hey, Thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice
Yep I cant want until it all comes together and becomes 2nd nature, thanks MOM thats what I was getting at, SMIDNSY brigade LOL
I think thats why riding is so cool, It demands more attention! so Im not thinking about all those small things that bugged me today lol, I guess that is real freedom.

Awesome sauce:yes: