PDA

View Full Version : Is your bike setup as good as it can be??

FROSTY
23rd June 2005, 21:28
Checking over a few bikes lately.
It seems a lot aren't set up to be easy to ride.
is your front brake easy to flip ya fingers onto -not so high that ya gotta reach up and not so low that you gotta reach down.Is the lever adjusted to its in the right position on your fingers.
Have you checked tyre pressures.
Is the clutch adjusted to fit your hand and again at the right height.
Are the mirrors adjusted so you can make the best use of em.
Those of ya with adjustable handlebars--are they set in the most comfortable place for you??
can you flick your foot onto the rear brake pedal when sitting on the bike in normal position??
is the gear lever in a natural position or do ya have to reach up or down to reach it
its this basic setup stuff that will make the bike easy to ride.

sAsLEX
23rd June 2005, 21:43
your mistaken frosty bike aint meant to be comfortable!

FROSTY
23rd June 2005, 21:50
comfort means better riding :devil2:

sAsLEX
23rd June 2005, 21:54
not a NC30 or other type bike were you fold youself up to fit on......

but yeah good control position is essential as it will reduce things like fatigue

zadok
23rd June 2005, 21:56
For an old bike, I keep mine adjusted well. Makes sense for safety more than anything, as well as comfort. Havan't dropped it yet.

myvice
23rd June 2005, 21:57
comfort means better riding :devil2:
Maby, but a goldwing just isnt what I'd call fun... And I dont have my HT
:devil2:

Ixion
23rd June 2005, 22:03
Harrumphh. That sort of triggers a rant that's been building up for a while

Why the HELL do modern bikes have such limited adjustability of controls. I'm not saying that they are all bad but an awful lot (most I've looked at ) are.

Certainly they are far worse than bikes were 50 years ago.

Things like handlebar controls. Where the lever mount is integral with the switch block. So when you set it so the lever "falls readily to hand" the switches don't. and the mirror mounts are either on the fairing or integral with the switch/lever block. Same problem. What happened to just having them separately on the handlebars.

Switchs used to be separate. so you could set the dipswitch where you wanted it without the horn NOT being where you want it.

And how many bikes nowdays have adjustable height and angle on the foot pegs. So there is a chance they will be able to be set so they suit you.

Let alone alternate mounting points.

And handlebars! Used to be able to get a vast array of bends. Get one that suited. Fit it . Easy peasy. Try it now. The bars foul the poxy fairing . Or the poxy integral hydraulic resevoir fouls something.

A few bikes have adjustable seat height. A VERY few.

Used to have variable angle on rear shocks as a matter of course, as well as preload.

I could adjust a Triumph, or a Velo to fit me.

Now we're told to try sitting on the bike you want and see if it "fits". If not try a different model. WTF sort of wanky attitude is that by the manufacturers.

Compare it with cars. Get into a modern car and you can adjust just about everything about the driving postion and controls.

Bikes seems to be "one size fits no-one".

All very well saying " It seems a lot aren't set up to be easy to ride."

Chance would be a fine thing. Only way I can set most modern bikes up to be easy to ride is with a welding torch.

Harrumph. Rant over.

justsomeguy
23rd June 2005, 22:06
Mine fits me like a glove.....:ride: and everything has been adjusted just perfect:yes:

I :love: my bike

Ixion
23rd June 2005, 22:10
Mine fits me like a glove.....:ride: and everything has been adjusted just perfect:yes:

I :love: my bike

Yeah, but your Igor probably did a PROPER assembly on you. Mine just grabbed anything that was in the parts bin . Left over legs from the cancelled Pygmy export order. Yeah that'll do. Sumo wrestler centre section that the customer returned. Sure thing. My Igor has a lot to answer for

Motu
23rd June 2005, 22:31
I like to set my bikes up to suit me too,the mirrors are the first thing ''out'' of aligment,I don't use my indicators cause now they are hard to work.I've got a wall full of my favorite ''bends'',but they don't fit anything any more,and I'm not drilling Renthals for wiring.I set my bikes for stand up as well as sit down,controls have to adapt to both styles.I'll never forget that prick of a scrutineer who ''adjusted my front brake lever correctly''....for his huge hand and I locked the front wheel in the first corner,I never thought anyone would be stupid enough to do that,let alone an ''official''.Set your bike up youself and double check if someone else touches it.

justsomeguy
23rd June 2005, 22:41
getting the mirrors just right is the biggest :mad: of all......and somehow after a few days the bastards will need to be adjusted again..........:wait:

XP@
23rd June 2005, 23:50
Good point! I think there are 2 questions here...

1. What would be the things you should adjust for riding position and what are the "right" position?

2. What would be the things you should adjust for safety and what are the "right" settings?

XP@
24th June 2005, 00:04
2. What would be the things you should adjust for safety and what are the "right" settings?

Answered own question phanks to PlacidFemme ...

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/Preride/
THE T-CLOCK INSPECTION
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation created the T-CLOCK mnemonic as a memory and organization ad for a pre-ride safety check of a typical motorcycle. Each letter represents a particular inspection category, as follows:
• T - Tires & Wheels
• C - Controls
• L - Lights & Electrics
• O - Oil
• C - Chassis
• K - Kickstand

TIRES AND WHEELS
Tires: Pressure correct (cold), tread condition. No cut, bulges, punctures of foreign objects.
Wheels: Spokes tight and intact; rims true; no free play when flexed; bearing seals intact; spin freely.
Brakes: Firm feel; sufficient pad depth, no leaks or links in hoses or cables.

CONTROLS
Levers: Pivot bolt and nut; action and position correct; pivots lubed.
Cables: Ends and shafts lubed; no fraying or kinks; no binding when handlebar turned; proper adjustment.
Hoses: Check for damage or leaks, proper routing.
Throttle: Snaps closed freely when released; no excess play.

LIGHTS
Brake and Taillight(s): All filaments work; both levers actuate brake light.
Headlight: All filaments work; properly aimed; no damage.
Lenses: Clean; no condensation; tight.
Reflectors: Clean; intact.
Battery: Fluid level; terminals clean and tight; held down securely; vent tube not kinked or mis-routed.
Wiring: Check for pinching or fraying; properly routed; no corrosion.

OIL AND FLUIDS
Levels: Brake fluid, oil, final drive, transmission, coolant, fuel.
Leaks: Check all systems for leaks.
Condition: Check color of brake fluid & coolant.

CHASSIS
Frame: Paint lifting or peeling may indicate cracking.
Steering head & swingarm bearings: Lift wheels off floor, grab lower fork legs and pull and push to feel for play; repeat at rear. Turn fork to feel for detents in bearings.
Suspension: Smooth movement; proper adjustment; no leaks.
Chain or belt: Tension; lube, look for wear.
Fasteners: Look for missing or loose threaded fasteners, clips, pins.

KICKSTAND
Sidestand: Retracts firmly; no bending or damage; cut-out switch operates; spring intact.
Centerstand: Retracts firmly, no damage.

justsomeguy
24th June 2005, 00:12
The BRONZ course was going to cover all that in the afternoon - unless they already did while I was out......

Flyingpony
24th June 2005, 00:17
Checking over a few bikes lately.
It seems a lot aren't set up to be easy to ride.
is your front brake easy to flip ya fingers onto -not so high that ya gotta reach up and not so low that you gotta reach down.Is the lever adjusted to its in the right position on your fingers.
Have you checked tyre pressures.
Is the clutch adjusted to fit your hand and again at the right height.
Are the mirrors adjusted so you can make the best use of em.
Those of ya with adjustable handlebars--are they set in the most comfortable place for you??
can you flick your foot onto the rear brake pedal when sitting on the bike in normal position??
is the gear lever in a natural position or do ya have to reach up or down to reach it
its this basic setup stuff that will make the bike easy to ride.
Yes to all except my mirrors can still do with an improvement. Currently I've got GSXR600 mirrors with DIY mounts. Can finally see something beyond my elbows. Still have the originals in the garage.
On the topic of rear brakes, mine have suddenly stopped working after getting new chain & sprockets fitted :mad: :mad: Haven't figured out why or how to get them working. Shop can't see anything wrong.

Lou Girardin
24th June 2005, 12:21
your mistaken frosty bike aint meant to be comfortable!

That explains sales of TDF sportsbikes.

FROSTY
24th June 2005, 15:25
Yes to all except my mirrors can still do with an improvement. Currently I've got GSXR600 mirrors with DIY mounts. Can finally see something beyond my elbows. Still have the originals in the garage.
On the topic of rear brakes, mine have suddenly stopped working after getting new chain & sprockets fitted :mad: :mad: Haven't figured out why or how to get them working. Shop can't see anything wrong.
The back brakes can only be a couple of things -1 theres a shit load of grease/oil on the disk--unlikely
The pistons have been retracted slightly too far and the return is pulling the pistons too far back -easy fix for that one --Pull the caliper off pump the brake lever once -refit the cakliper--it will be a tight fit.
or there is air in the system -check you have fluid in the resevoir -push down on the brake pedal-hod it down and crack the joint on the caliper -bet the brakes sudenly start working again