PDA

View Full Version : Lethal road marking practice, be warned

jellywrestler
8th March 2011, 21:43
I was at the pub tonight, designated driver not having a beer sadly, and the roadmarking crew turned and painted the arrows outside.
What I thought was overspray turned out to be glass bead blasting particles I'd bet thown over the paint and scattered some distance each side.
The road was literally like ice to walk on, these glass beads are 0.4mm or 16 thousandths of an inch in diameter.
Some cones were down to protect the paint I assume.
An hour or so later the guys turned up to pick the cones up. I asked whether they were going to sweep the beads away and they said no, said the wind will do that. It's a calm night here in Lower Hutt and despite the worker realising I wasn't happy with it and trying to sweep it up with his day-glo jacket it only spread the beads further .
Normally I would expect this to overspray from paint, not one of the most slippery things you can come across so be warned.
I rang *555 twice and begged them to get a cop down to have alook at it, they would only advise the council, I then went to the police station and finally they radioed a car to have a look after the next job or so....
BE WARNED THIS PROCESS WILL DROP MOTORCYCLISTS WITHOUT ANY WARNING.

Two Ironies, one is that they're probably putting the beads in to make the paint less slippery.

(This was on the corner of jackson st and victoria st petone outside the speights ale house
The other is the company is called 0800SAFE4U)
I am going to follow it up tomorrow

trailblazer
8th March 2011, 21:56
cheers mate. Thats something i didnt know they put in road paint. I will keep my eyes open for it up this way.

steve_t
8th March 2011, 22:01
I don't think the glass beads would be to make it less slippery. I reckon it's probably to make the paint more visible at night ie reflective beads.
Either way, it's a dangerous practice. They should revisit the markings after the paint dries and hose down the area to get rid of the excess beads

baptist
8th March 2011, 22:38
Nice one! little marbles all over the road:facepalm:... muppets.

Metastable
9th March 2011, 00:49
They do that here too. I almost lost it on one of those and I wasn't even moving. It was a brand new dead end road that was about to be opened as a highway on-ramp, and these kids were stunting, so I stopped along the edge to watch. I was standing there, then all the sudden my foot just gave out.... but then caught again. I still don't know how I didn't drop the bike. I got off the bike and couldn't believe how slick that stuff was. In this case they had just put down a line as opposed to an arrow, but I couldn't see the stuff like you can in those pictures. I only saw what it was once I got off the bike and had a close inspection.

CookMySock
9th March 2011, 02:48
Why aren't road crews specifically trained about just how dangerous their actions can be to motorcyclists (or any motorist for that matter.)

Perhaps will take a few more expensive claims before they wake up.

Mom
9th March 2011, 05:31
I'm loving the slogan on the side of the truck myself. What a joke!

Owl
9th March 2011, 06:11
There's a lot of money in road marking and even more by cutting corners:angry:

oneofsix
9th March 2011, 06:17
To Paraphrase (apologises to DangerousBastard)

"road crews are specifically trained about just how dangerous their actions can be"
can't you just see that on a Tui billboard?

Thanks for the warning about the roadmarking practice jellywrestler.

road crews removed the surface in two strips right across the slip road coming off SH1 at Parm, by the RSA. Took two days to get the warning signs up. Today they have the bobcat there with the tar stripper attachment so expect it to be rough tonight. At least this lot aren't called safe4u.

scumdog
9th March 2011, 07:31
Why aren't road crews specifically trained about just how dangerous their actions can be to motorcyclists (or any motorist for that matter.)

Because some are a bunch of stoners who toke up while working as nobody pays any attention to them in the middle of the night...?

Don't ask.....

Ocean1
9th March 2011, 08:25
couldn't believe how slick that stuff was.

Microspheres, slicker'n snot. Not an obvious DG issue, though, so it won't be mentioned in their procedures. Not that they get actually read anyway.

Sick 'em dude, it's nasty stuff to leave lying around.

marty
9th March 2011, 08:47

Two Ironies, one is that they're probably putting the beads in to make the paint less slippery.

1 - there's plenty of warning. the paint is brand new, and there's a powdery substance all over the road. visible by day, reflective at night. so it will drop you if you don't notice it.

2 - it's mainly for visibility reasons - not anti-slip

Deano
9th March 2011, 09:14
1 - there's plenty of warning. the paint is brand new, and there's a powdery substance all over the road. visible by day, reflective at night. so it will drop you if you don't notice it.

Yes visibility. The Council road engineer just came and showed me a sample board - probably a little grippier than just white paint, but not by a large amount.

The overall contractor responsible has been asked to get their subbie back to clean up and not do it again. It was poor practice. Usually the beads are applied through a nozzle which follows the paint nozzle.

Metastable
9th March 2011, 09:27
FYI - I couldn't see it when my foot slipped. I had to get off the bike and inspect the ground.... that's when I saw what was going on. It just blended right in.... but yes it was a new set of lines.... but if you don't know any better...

steve_t
9th March 2011, 09:40
You've gotta think that, from a safety point of view, it'd be better to just mix the beads in with the paint. Sure, the paint won't be quite as reflective but is the slight increase in visibility worth the risks of sprinkling the beads everywhere?

Deano
9th March 2011, 09:55
FYI - I couldn't see it when my foot slipped. I had to get off the bike and inspect the ground.... that's when I saw what was going on. It just blended right in.... but yes it was a new set of lines.... but if you don't know any better...

Once you're on it there is no headlight to reflect it ? Or over spray on the dark road and not in the paint (like the OP saw) ?

You've gotta think that, from a safety point of view, it'd be better to just mix the beads in with the paint. Sure, the paint won't be quite as reflective but is the slight increase in visibility worth the risks of sprinkling the beads everywhere?

The beads would still reflect once the top layer of paint had worn off the beads - actually, the beads are not completely covered with paint, they adhere to the paint. And usual practice is to apply the beads by nozzle - this was poor and not acceptable practice.

Tunahunter
9th March 2011, 14:50
Hi DangerousBastard

I wonder if we should have a competition around what that woman in you avatar is saying?

Deano
9th March 2011, 14:54
Hi DangerousBastard

I wonder if we should have a competition around what that woman in you avatar is saying?

Oh my arse ? (Or maybe oh my God, but it looks like the last word ends in s)

I'll bet $1000 that DB isn't the one giving it to her though.

Ronin
9th March 2011, 14:58
Hi DangerousBastard

"I want sprinkles"

Tunahunter
9th March 2011, 14:59

Priceless!

bsasuper
9th March 2011, 15:03
You could take the council to the cleaners if it caused an accident, the contractor did the sloppy work on the councils behalf "without due care"

davereid
9th March 2011, 15:13
The only "safety" considered is the motor car drivers.

Try running a fraction wide in your Subaru, and you touch a rumble strip which will point out your error.

Hit the same rumble strip while banked on your bike, and you will instantly slip to the far side of it.

Metastable
9th March 2011, 16:32
Once you're on it there is no headlight to reflect it ? Or over spray on the dark road and not in the paint (like the OP saw) ?

When it happened to me it was bright daylight, so I didn't see any reflection. I simply couldn't see anything at all. At first I looked down expecting to see oil, but there was nothing there... and I was like WTF? Got off the bike and inspected it... then realized what was going on.

jellywrestler
9th March 2011, 17:05

It simply looked like overspray, which is 'normal for paint, and the photos were taken at night, didn't look reflective, some of that stuff is 1/4 inch thick, I've been riding for 31 years and never have I seen such a dangerous practice used by contractors.

Subike
9th March 2011, 17:12
This IS a situation that should be bought to the attention of our newly established bikers saftey council so thankfully given to us by Mr Nick Smith.

If this is a roading practice that puts us as riders directly at risk, even though it is being promoted under the guise of a road saftey item, then we should have the right via our Bikers Safty group to bring it to the attention of the powers to be.

If presented that this practice of glasing marker arrows etc on road surfaces will directly put bikers at risk and increase ACC payouts......

This practice will increase the possibility of bikers being killed on the road from loss of traction in heavy traffic situations,

This practice ..........needs attention of the saftey council, not a Kiwi Bikers thread only.

How do we deal with this directly rather than just bleat about it on here?

Any Ideas?? :blink:

jellywrestler
9th March 2011, 17:33
This IS a situation that should be bought to the attention of our newly established bikers saftey council so thankfully given to us by Mr Nick Smith.

If this is a roading practice that puts us as riders directly at risk, even though it is being promoted under the guise of a road saftey item, then we should have the right via our Bikers Safty group to bring it to the attention of the powers to be.

If presented that this practice of glasing marker arrows etc on road surfaces will directly put bikers at risk and increase ACC payouts......

This practice will increase the possibility of bikers being killed on the road from loss of traction in heavy traffic situations,

This practice ..........needs attention of the saftey council, not a Kiwi Bikers thread only.

How do we deal with this directly rather than just bleat about it on here?

Any Ideas?? :blink:
keep on bleating, I passed it onto two members of said council last night.
This morning I went down there in my Transit hightop long wheelbase ex ambulance and on the next intersection they'd sprayed my front wheels locked up from about ten kms hour.
this big f'in truck has never had traction issues before

hopefully said safety group has the ability to react to it now, not at their regular get togethers as time is ticking.

oldrider
9th March 2011, 17:55
FFS bring it to the attention of ACC, "they" care about our safety, don't they?

All this BS about working alongside the Police and stopping us to help us with "our" safety! :facepalm:

Get onto "them"!

Or even better get onto Gareth Morgan, surely "he" will be interested! (doesn't he represent us with ACC now?)

Katman
9th March 2011, 19:25
Hi DangerousBastard

I thought it was DB wearing make-up.

Hitcher
9th March 2011, 19:45
I can see why emergency services personnel sometimes get the stitch.

no_8wire
9th March 2011, 20:03

Oh my gosh?

pete376403
9th March 2011, 20:20
+1
I'm a reasonably competent lip reader (deaf, etc) and I'm pretty sure she's saying "Oh my gosh"

SILVER SUZI
10th March 2011, 12:14
No! No! Can't you see she's saying "That's not what you paid for, I'll have to charge you an extra tenner for that":shit: :facepalm:

Tunahunter
10th March 2011, 14:47
No! No! Can't you see she's saying "That's not what you paid for, I'll have to charge you an extra tenner for that":shit: :facepalm:

Excellent! But maybe it goes like this "who's that (answer) "Ray" "who"(answer) "Ray" "who" (answer) "Ray" - hooray hooray hooray

Old Steve
11th March 2011, 19:14
This thread contains pictures of the glass beads used on road markings.

hellokitty
11th March 2011, 19:34
I was at the pub tonight, designated driver not having a beer sadly, and the roadmarking crew turned and painted the arrows outside.
What I thought was overspray turned out to be glass bead blasting particles I'd bet thown over the paint and scattered some distance each side.
The road was literally like ice to walk on, these glass beads are 0.4mm or 16 thousandths of an inch in diameter.

I was out riding today and came through a corner to see what looked like messy overspray, I thought of this thread and luckily was expecting tiny beads which is what I got! Luckily it was just the ass end of the bike that was twitching as I had a 4 wheel drive up my exhaust.
Thanks for the heads up, might have been nasty if I hadn't been expecting it :(

Deano
11th March 2011, 19:37
I was out riding today and came through a corner to see what looked like messy overspray, I thought of this thread and luckily was expecting tiny beads which is what I got! Luckily it was just the ass end of the bike that was twitching as I had a 4 wheel drive up my exhaust.

Fucking good outcome - well done. You owe Spyda a beer !!

hellokitty
11th March 2011, 19:42
Fucking good outcome - well done. You owe Spyda a beer !!

I owe him more than a beer!!! I was riding with my Dad who is going to put in a formal complaint as well - probably won't do any good but can't hurt I s'pose.

jellywrestler
11th March 2011, 19:43
Pull up, ring the fire brigade and tell them there's serious traction problems, and let the fight start from there.
A few bills from the fire brigade for clean up will make them re think their practice more than a couple of maimed motorcyclists I reckon
Spyda

rideon
11th March 2011, 20:21
The overspray & failure to tidy up these lil suckers is criminal & needs to be dealt with promptly so that all risk to us is eliminated. I would like to know though ,how much slipperier are the markings gonna be in the wet..........lil glass beads + H2O. Ain't gonna be less slippery I bet !!!! :eek5:

jellywrestler
11th March 2011, 20:35
The overspray & failure to tidy up these lil suckers is criminal & needs to be dealt with promptly so that all risk to us is eliminated. I would like to know though ,how much slipperier are the markings gonna be in the wet..........lil glass beads + H2O. Ain't gonna be less slippery I bet !!!! :eek5:
no these are to improve both vision and adhesion.
instead of smooth paint it will be more abrasive so betterer
the thought s there

rideon
11th March 2011, 20:47
no these are to improve both vision and adhesion.
instead of smooth paint it will be more abrasive so betterer
the thought s there

Hope your're right .....but not convinced yet :no:

riffer
16th March 2011, 11:18
It appears that there has been a result. Please read the following letter.

sunhuntin
16th March 2011, 11:32
brilliant outcome!

Elysium
16th March 2011, 13:22
I think the word 'liability' may have come into his mind. But good result in the end.

PrincessBandit
16th March 2011, 20:23
It appears that there has been a result. Please read the following letter.

As per the other posters who have said great outcome.
I too am glad I read this thread because while I usually give fresh looking paint a wide berth if these little suckers can spread around and are virtually impossible to see then that's a real concern. (This coming from someone who has twice had punctures due to small screws that have been lying in the middle of the lane and not been seen).

PrincessBandit
16th March 2011, 20:32

Despite the look on her face, her lips appear (to me) to be saying "hopeless". Hmmm. Not quite sure how that works given that she looks pretty happy with whatever is happening back there. Then again she could be saying "oooh puh-leeeeese..."???

Ocean1
16th March 2011, 20:48
her lips appear (to me) to be saying...

You can see?... Ah, those lips.

As you wer.

ola_bitchola1
18th March 2011, 18:19
right having not read the whole thing here but i have a unique perspective as i know the company in question quite well since i have worked alot of road marking upgrades/ remarks and have done some line marking myself with them beads have to be applied to the top of the paint as thats just how it works to meet standard. generally it is setup on the machine to sprinkle little bits as the b-mac rolls along and when applied properly its not really slippery when the paint has dried what looks like has happened is that it has been sprinkled on by hand to cover some spots missed by the b-mac (a problem when painting arrows )and has had far to much just thrown around without it having been swept away when the paint has dried if the original poster would like to take it up with the manager i can put you onto him as this is simply a case of bad practice by the operator of the machine

kiwi cowboy
18th March 2011, 18:45
Oh my gosh?

+1 10 chars

sunhuntin
19th March 2011, 21:49
noticed these beads today in wangas. theyve recently been out repainting the green cyclist lane sections, along with the white stenciled bicycle. the stencilled bit has these beads and i noticed a fair amount of over spray going into the car park section.

jellywrestler
29th March 2011, 21:35
noticed these beads today in wangas. theyve recently been out repainting the green cyclist lane sections, along with the white stenciled bicycle. the stencilled bit has these beads and i noticed a fair amount of over spray going into the car park section.
If anyone comes across this issue please take photos anyway you can and note time and date and contact me.
Less than ten days since I first saw this practice, took it up with the council (Bronz and the National Ulysses also officially contacted them) I came across another patch in Lower Hutt.
This has fired up some people who have the ability to take it to the top before it claims a life, what we need is evidence, then the media will have something to play with
meanwhile here's the piccie I took last Thursday

DangerMice
29th March 2011, 23:33
I noticed some of this crap sprinkled around a traffic island at the intersection of Awaroa Rd & Millbrook/Sunnyside Rd in Henderson, Auckland on Monday at about 5pm. Looked like the island had been painted that day. I'll see if I can still get a photo

Pixie
5th April 2011, 12:16
Some cones were down to protect the paint I assume.
An hour or so later the guys turned up to pick the cones up. I asked whether they were going to sweep the beads away and they said no, said the wind will do that. It's a calm night here in Lower Hutt and despite the worker realising I wasn't happy with it and trying to sweep it up with his day-glo jacket it only spread the beads further .
Normally I would expect this to overspray from paint, not one of the most slippery things you can come across so be warned.
I rang *555 twice and begged them to get a cop down to have alook at it, they would only advise the council, I then went to the police station and finally they radioed a car to have a look after the next job or so....

(This was on the corner of jackson st and victoria st petone outside the speights ale house
The other is the company is called 0800SAFE4U)

Put this in a letter to Steven Joyce.What is the point of sticking this on KB and expecting a result?