PDA

View Full Version : Internet tech help please: IE rolling stagger?

sinfull
9th March 2011, 08:17
Someone helped me with this once brefore but i'm buggered if i can find the thread !

Just had to format and reinstall xp home, (waste of time as it seems it's a prob in the box) but as happened last time my IE staggers when i scroll using the wheel on me mouse !

Was something simple and just like me !

steve_t
9th March 2011, 08:26
Start > Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Mouse > Wheel tab.

What's the setting?

Or maybe you need to update the driver?

sinfull
9th March 2011, 08:33
Start > Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Mouse > Wheel tab.

What's the setting?

Or maybe you need to update the driver? Cheers Steve, but it don't appear to be that, could be the driver, just have to figure out how to update and what ? think it was some video enhance driver or sommit !

Bloody PC keeps rebooting too which makes things frustrating

steve_t
9th March 2011, 08:42
Cheers Steve, but it don't appear to be that, could be the driver, just have to figure out how to update and what ? think it was some video enhance driver or sommit !

Yeah, make sure you have the latest video driver, mouse driver, clean scroll wheel, and new batteries if it's wireless. Good luck.

Yeah, Win XP is old enough now that a clean install means rebooting 20 or so times with frickin updates arriving in batches :angry:

sugilite
9th March 2011, 08:49

Quite often caused by faulty ram, check if it's seated correctly, try and vacuum, or use compressed air to clean dust out the slots, that can help too. If you have multiple banks of ram, swap them out until you find the culprit.

sinfull
9th March 2011, 08:50
Win XP is old enough now that a clean install means rebooting 20 or so times with frickin updates arriving in batches :angry:

Nah there be sommit up with the innards of the thing as it just reboots for no reason last few days, thought i'd picked up a virus (hence formatting) and yeah spent all night doing updates lol might be time to buy win 7 if and when i get the thing fixed so it don't just shut down for no bloody reason !

Ronin
9th March 2011, 08:50
Cheers Steve, but it don't appear to be that, could be the driver, just have to figure out how to update and what ? think it was some video enhance driver or sommit !

We have danced this dance before :yes: It was your video drivers.

steve_t
9th March 2011, 09:10
Nah there be sommit up with the innards of the thing as it just reboots for no reason last few days, thought i'd picked up a virus (hence formatting) and yeah spent all night doing updates lol might be time to buy win 7 if and when i get the thing fixed so it don't just shut down for no bloody reason !

Just be aware that if there's a hardware issue/failing component, upgrading to Win7 won't help. As Sugilite said, RAM is always a good place to start looking and it's a relatively cheap fix if that's the problem. Motherboards crapping themselves has happened to me a few times too though and that sux balls

Ronin
9th March 2011, 09:13

Stoopid question. Can you take the side off and send me a pic of the motherboard? I think I know what is wrong with it. Can give you my cell to send to if you want.

steve_t
9th March 2011, 09:16
Stoopid question. Can you take the side off and send me a pic of the motherboard? I think I know what is wrong with it. Can give you my cell to send to if you want.

Are you thinking the CPU fan has come loose?

Ronin
9th March 2011, 09:17
Are you thinking the CPU fan has come loose?

Nope. It could be clogged. More than likely there is a leaking cap on the motherboard. Symptoms fit.

sinfull
9th March 2011, 09:23
Quite often caused by faulty ram, check if it's seated correctly, try and vacuum, or use compressed air to clean dust out the slots, that can help too. If you have multiple banks of ram, swap them out until you find the culprit. Grrrr gonna have to find a compressor since mine went walkies lol Cheers

Just be aware that if there's a hardware issue/failing component, upgrading to Win7 won't help. As Sugilite said, RAM is always a good place to start looking and it's a relatively cheap fix if that's the problem. Motherboards crapping themselves has happened to me a few times too though and that sux balls Will def get things running well first, but then of course i'll prob prcastinate till it all happens again !

Stoopid question. Can you take the side off and send me a pic of the motherboard? I think I know what is wrong with it. Can give you my cell to send to if you want. Phone don't take piccies so will do a camera shot and see if i can load on here for ya, cheers ! In the device manager now looking for video driver updates so will go find me camera and see if the pc takes it now lol (may need to find a cd for it too lol)

sinfull
9th March 2011, 10:12
Nope. It could be clogged. More than likely there is a leaking cap on the motherboard. Symptoms fit.

This shit's just got ugly, for a while there when i clicked on notifications or the like a whole new tab opens, then the wheel of my mouse was changing the resolution !! Thinking second story window might fix it and then go to a bar ! But the good news is, the IE stagger seems to have vanished lol

CookMySock
9th March 2011, 10:16
If the PC is old and decrepid, give Ubuntu a try before you put good money down on windows 7. It costs nothing to try Ubuntu, and you might ACTUALLY ENJOY living without viruses and a mega-corporates' finger in yer ass. If it does exactly the same thing, then its hardware at fault, and its cost you nothing to diagnose that as well. Google "ubuntu download".

Good luck with your pooter hassles.

mister.koz
9th March 2011, 10:19
Honestly dude, if the comp is randomly restarting its likely there's a ram/motherboard/cpu issue i'd replace them.

There's kits available for a couple of hundy with motherboard, ram and cpu, all you'd need to do is take your ones in and say to the geek behind the counter:
"i want the technology, i want it to be faster, smarter, better AND to fit in the same space this one did"

The scrolling issue is most likely a video card driver problem - i've seen it 100s of times and its always been fixed by the video card driver being re-installed.

Ronin
9th March 2011, 12:41
This shit's just got ugly, for a while there when i clicked on notifications or the like a whole new tab opens, then the wheel of my mouse was changing the resolution !! Thinking second story window might fix it and then go to a bar ! But the good news is, the IE stagger seems to have vanished lol

Well, the good news is that the MB seems fine. Not too old by the look of it. Problem is, I can run diagnostics on the hardware to track down the fault... But not from here. My guess would be the ram but without access to the machine I'm out on a limb.

Latte
9th March 2011, 12:54
If it's BSOD'ing just before the reboot maybe someone can tell sinfull (and me) of the way to disable the reboot, so we can get an error message? I think it's Boot.ini but can't remember

steve_t
9th March 2011, 13:13
If it's BSOD'ing just before the reboot maybe someone can tell sinfull (and me) of the way to disable the reboot, so we can get an error message? I think it's Boot.ini but can't remember

Can you disable the reboot? I thought you could only check out the memory dump

mashman
9th March 2011, 13:38

Mine did that a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a pooped PSU.

mister.koz
9th March 2011, 13:55

yep its in the boot.ini can't remember the easiest way to change it apart from a livecd with nano or msconfig. There's something in the advanced system properties i think...

Dunno, i got fed up with my windoze pc's sold them all and bought a macbookpro, now i don't have to fix anything :)

glegge
9th March 2011, 14:11
+1 video card drivers. make sure you have the correct ones. from a clean build, it's possibly it's just using 'generic vga' driver which has zero performance.

Latte
9th March 2011, 14:27
Can you disable the reboot? I thought you could only check out the memory dump

Yep, jsut found it......

Right Click "My Computer" - Properties

Advanced Tab

Startup and Recovery Section - "Settings" Button

Untick "Automatically Restart" - then OK, Next, OK, OK etc etc

steve_t
9th March 2011, 14:32
Yep, jsut found it......

Right Click "My Computer" - Properties

Advanced Tab

Startup and Recovery Section - "Settings" Button

Untick "Automatically Restart" - then OK, Next, OK, OK etc etc

Good stuff :niceone: Bling sent

wysper
9th March 2011, 16:53
Honestly dude, if the comp is randomly restarting its likely there's a ram/motherboard/cpu issue i'd replace them.

There's kits available for a couple of hundy with motherboard, ram and cpu, all you'd need to do is take your ones in and say to the geek behind the counter:
"i want the technology, i want it to be faster, smarter, better AND to fit in the same space this one did"

The scrolling issue is most likely a video card driver problem - i've seen it 100s of times and its always been fixed by the video card driver being re-installed.

Good plan this.
My old trusty pc is giving a bit of jip.
So I am looking at building a new one, I am not a gamer so that saves big bucks.
New motherboard, some ram, ssd and separate terabyte drive for the data and for less than a grand I will have a fast internet and basic processing machine.
Its all I do on the PC is surf the net and really basic stuff otherwise. Hardly any graphics stuff. Just a bit of basic photo manipulation for which the likes of photoshop is overkill, picassa can handle it.

Use the current monitor (thanks Koz, that one is still going, with one trip to triage to fix the power supply it is great), mouse keyboard and case and I will be right for another few years!

sinfull
9th March 2011, 19:19
all I do on the PC is surf the net and any graphic stuff.

Me too !!!! :facepalm:

sinfull
9th March 2011, 19:32
Well, the good news is that the MB seems fine. Not too old by the look of it. Problem is, I can run diagnostics on the hardware to track down the fault... But not from here. My guess would be the ram but without access to the machine I'm out on a limb.

If it wasn't for the random shit happening like,
freezing, the setting changes (open new tab with every click) and then coming right, resolution out of controll (did change it just prior to that happening), not starting up when i turn it on, even had a warning this morning with the screen all striped so could hardly read it, that had some shit about memory dump at the bottom (that's when i pulled the power lead out)
I'd say, going by the amount of dust, like enough to be making a seal over the alloy heat transfer thingy behind the fan on the MB, that i blew into a dust storm with a huff and puff, I'd have thought it might have been overheating and shuttin down, but i don't get that lucky !
Didn't turn on first time tonight had to unplug it again, but on it now and it's behaving lol Will take it down to the computor place tommorrow ! Gaaaah !

Ronin
9th March 2011, 20:21
If it wasn't for the random shit happening like,
freezing, the setting changes (open new tab with every click) and then coming right, resolution out of controll (did change it just prior to that happening), not starting up when i turn it on, even had a warning this morning with the screen all striped so could hardly read it, that had some shit about memory dump at the bottom (that's when i pulled the power lead out)
I'd say, going by the amount of dust, like enough to be making a seal over the alloy heat transfer thingy behind the fan on the MB, that i blew into a dust storm with a huff and puff, I'd have thought it might have been overheating and shuttin down, but i don't get that lucky !
Didn't turn on first time tonight had to unplug it again, but on it now and it's behaving lol Will take it down to the computor place tommorrow ! Gaaaah !

Seriously. If you can get it to me it won't cost you.

The striped screen tells me its either the ram or more likely the graphics card.

Actually. Look at the back of the machine. Is there a monitor plug that you don't use? If so, turn the machine off. Remove the graphics card. Plug your monitor into the other socket and turn it on. If that doesn't fix it I will start liking Harleys.

Oh, and you will have to reload drivers again.

Gremlin
9th March 2011, 20:27
The stagger of IE (and any window if you drag it around) would be most likely the cause (as already said). Follow what hiss said, to disable automatic restart.

If the machine restarts without seeing a BSOD at that point, I'd generally suspect the power supply in the first instance, and move from there. It's also one of the easier parts to quickly swap out (or put another PSU next to it, and cable it into the case for all the basics).

pete376403
9th March 2011, 20:32

Don't want to burst your bubble but even with Win7 there's a shitload of updates.
Just about every f*cking day WSUS advises "updates are ready for your computer".