PDA

View Full Version : T-stick woes

specter
9th March 2011, 15:21
mate just brought a t-stick for her laptop...
when it goes to connect it just keeps displaying "connecting to telecom"

works fine on all other pc and my t stick doesnt work on her laptop either...
so ive identified its a laptop problem. help?

Scuba_Steve
9th March 2011, 15:22
my 1st question would be, it is a USB2 port ay? not USB1?

specter
9th March 2011, 15:25
my 1st question would be, it is a USB2 port ay? not USB1?

its 2.0

10 char

steve_t
9th March 2011, 15:26
Maybe try reinstalling Telecom Connection Manager

specter
9th March 2011, 15:27
done that.... even on different usb ports. like i said works dandy on my pc

steve_t
9th March 2011, 15:48
What kind of laptop has she got? Is the laptop plugged in to the mains when you try it? Just wondering if the port is underpowered or summat

specter
9th March 2011, 15:57
yep powers in....

pzkpfw
9th March 2011, 16:49
Does this post help?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=53749&page_no=1#382933

i.e.:

1) Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, Telephony
2) Double-click and set Startup Type to Automatic

specter
9th March 2011, 16:54
Does this post help?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=53749&page_no=1#382933

i.e.:

1) Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, Telephony
2) Double-click and set Startup Type to Automatic

yeah. have no idea what it is aye

p.dath
10th March 2011, 07:54
I'd be tempted to install/re-install whatever is the latest Windows Server Pack for that machine.

bungbung
10th March 2011, 09:45
If you get it to go, whatever port it was plugged into when you installed the connection manager, make sure that you use the same port next time around. On one of my laptops it will only work on that port.

Gremlin
11th March 2011, 03:38
Uninstall the lot, then upon re-installation, make sure you have another internet connection, working, and set the laptop to install drivers automatically.

To turn it on (if it isn't already), right click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced System settings, Hardware, Device Installation Settings, Yes Automatically.

This will let Windows 7 find the best drivers for your T-stick from either the T-stick, or MS website (which may have newer versions)

Next question is, which T-stick is it? One of the cheapies or the more expensive Sierra ones? The Sierra ones are more expensive for a good reason, they're american with much better drivers.

Unfortunately, I've had issues with one of the cheapie t-sticks before, on my laptop, I'm in IT, had a couple of colleagues look at it, and we all had to give up (after digging right through the drivers themselves).

Your problem can vary from pretty simple, newer drivers, or drivers from the manufacturers website (name escapes me presently... huawei? Or is that Vodafone), through to my solution. I used another hard drive, installed a test copy of Windows 7, and surprise surprise, it worked. Had to set up my OS all over again, all the software etc, testing the t-stick as I went... took a couple of days. :weep:

marty
11th March 2011, 05:38
If you get it to go, whatever port it was plugged into when you installed the connection manager, make sure that you use the same port next time around. On one of my laptops it will only work on that port.

I have the same issue. it's not a problem, but it only works in the one port

Zerker
11th March 2011, 06:42
the T-stick sucks :(
get a vodem.
the contract vodem (value of $300.00) is far superior.
at the moment at JB HiFi you get $200.00 off a new netbook,laptop, PC whith any new vodem contract connection (includes re-signs) you also get your first 6 months of the contract at half price, so for the 2GB 12 month contract it's like $25.00 per month for 6 months then $50 (might be $52, cant recall)
plus if your in the tron you can come see me :P

Zerker

marty
11th March 2011, 07:36
get a vodem.
the contract vodem (value of $300.00) is far superior.
at the moment at JB HiFi you get $200.00 off a new netbook,laptop, PC whith any new vodem contract connection (includes re-signs) you also get your first 6 months of the contract at half price, so for the 2GB 12 month contract it's like $25.00 per month for 6 months then $50 (might be $52, cant recall)
plus if your in the tron you can come see me :P

Zerker

and your interest in selling vodem is?

sounds like a fucking rip-off to me. $525 for 24gig? lolz. on 2 degrees it is $300 for 24gig.

Scuba_Steve
11th March 2011, 07:59
get a vodem.

hell NO!, if mobile Internet wasn't slow enough on Telecom, Vodafone slows that down further and when you most need it you'll prob find Vodafone giving you 2G speeds and that is FAR more painful to use then capped broadband.

Gremlin
11th March 2011, 18:01
get a vodem.
Dead wrong.

I have tested numerous vodems and t-sticks, normally in the premium vodafone areas. I even did a test with a vodem and t-stick, in Parnell (Vodafone said no problems, top service in the area), on the same laptop, back to back, over and over.

The t-stick consistently out-performed the vodem in software start, achieving a connection, and performance of the connection.

Generally, if the t-stick can install properly (and does so more reliably than the vodem) then it will work well. The last vodem I set up earlier this week took minutes to start every time, and the network speed was slow. I couldn't actually believe it took so long to start up... their software is getting worse, not better.

I recommend t-sticks, use a t-stick myself, and wish I earnt a penny from sales, but I earn nothing from the sales of either.

Zerker
11th March 2011, 18:13
there are multiple types of Vodem, the contract ones are better than the prepay ones

Gremlin
11th March 2011, 18:18
there are multiple types of Vodem, the contract ones are better than the prepay ones
Been using all types since Vodafone was in PCMCIA format. The last vodem I used was the Vodem Stick Pro (contract)...

scracha
21st March 2011, 19:21
Uninstall the lot, then upon re-installation, make sure you have another internet connection, working, and set the laptop to install drivers automatically.

To turn it on (if it isn't already), right click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced System settings, Hardware, Device Installation Settings, Yes Automatically.

This will let Windows 7 find the best drivers for your T-stick from either the T-stick, or MS website (which may have newer versions)

Next question is, which T-stick is it? One of the cheapies or the more expensive Sierra ones? The Sierra ones are more expensive for a good reason, they're american with much better drivers.

Unfortunately, I've had issues with one of the cheapie t-sticks before, on my laptop, I'm in IT, had a couple of colleagues look at it, and we all had to give up (after digging right through the drivers themselves).

Your problem can vary from pretty simple, newer drivers, or drivers from the manufacturers website (name escapes me presently... huawei? Or is that Vodafone), through to my solution. I used another hard drive, installed a test copy of Windows 7, and surprise surprise, it worked. Had to set up my OS all over again, all the software etc, testing the t-stick as I went... took a couple of days. :weep:

Spot on Gremlin, especially about the Sierra ones being miles better. The 64 bit Win 7 drivers are at www.zte.co.nz or summit like that. They're so fucking dodgy and notorious that I carry drivers. The ZTE kit also overheats with constant use and just erm....hangs....drives end users bonkers. The Telecom Connection Manager is a piece of $hit. I now bypass it and set it up with *99#. Sometimes they just won't work. Telecom deny there's a problem. This is a major PITA if the customer is on a 2 year contract. I normally flog them an Edimax or NetComm 3g router as it works out cheaper than a complete reinstall. The rebadged Netcomm 3G wireless modems Telecom sell (at twice the price of the exact same modem Bigpoind flog in Aus) work really well though and can take larger SMA antennas etc.

As for using Vodems around here.....I'd be better off on dial-up.

marie_speeds
14th April 2011, 12:02
My ZTE T- stick kind of freezes up all the time? Shows as connected to internet, but then says webpage cannot be displayed and receive rate is locked in at 0.00kps, no matter where I move around to. I have to then keep connecting disconnecting several times to try get something, and finally when that fails I restart laptop. Any suggestions?

scracha
17th April 2011, 00:19
My ZTE T- stick kind of freezes up all the time? Shows as connected to internet, but then says webpage cannot be displayed and receive rate is locked in at 0.00kps, no matter where I move around to. I have to then keep connecting disconnecting several times to try get something, and finally when that fails I restart laptop. Any suggestions?

1) Yep, bypass Telecon connection manager software and made a "dial up' connection using #99* as the phone number (no username/password).
2) Phone up Telecon and ensure you've got a version 3 SIM. If you've not then go into a Telecom shop and they'll swap it for free.
3) Use an Edimax or Netcomm (there are others) 3G wireless router (
about $99). They bypass any computer hardware probles, you can put them in the room with the best signal and they work with both Telecom T-Sticks and Vodafone Vodems.
4) Swap your ZTE/Huwaie piece of shite for a Sierra Wireless modem (trademe?)
5) Get one of these (http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/prepaid/mobilebroadband/telecom-turbo-router) or find a Bigpoond Elite 3G Gateway (another rebadged Netcomm modem) if you're one of these unusual Kiwi's who dont like getting ripped off. They just WORK.

Zerker...you're talking absolute bollocks about the Vodem mate. You work for these tax dodging bastards (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/14/vodafone-tax-evasion-revenue-customs)at Vodafone or something?