PDA

View Full Version : Shipping new bike: Questions to ask and dots to cross?

RentaTriumph
9th March 2011, 21:59
Hi

I am in the process of buying a $25K bike from an Auckland motorcycle company and asked about shipping the bike down to Chch. The cost to have it shipped is $430 which is reasonable but the issue I have is when I asked whose insurance covers the cost of the bike arriving in prestine condition the Motorcycle shops reply was the transport company would he assume pay for any damage and I should ask them about this. My reply was when I am paying the dosh and he is supplying the bike and arranging transport he needs to find out what the transport companies insurance covers and for how much. His reply was I could take out private insurance with Protecta for $606 per year and a $250 excess that would cover any damage in route. My reply was why should I have to cover any damage and pay an excess when the company shipping the bike should be covering this.
Looks like we may be at logger heads here and apart from making the transport company and the motorcycle shop supply a statement saying the bike is in an undamaged state before the trip down what else should I insist on?.

Rhys
9th March 2011, 22:39
Contact your insurance company and see what they say, we brought the wife's car from Auckland we rung our insurance company they said as we had the house, cars bikes, contents etc with them they would cover her car when in transit, with a few conditions, and there was no cost!
With all due respect it is in your best intreats to see what is covered! Dont relay on someone word

NinjaNanna
10th March 2011, 07:51
plenty of hard luck stories on here in regards to bike transport gone bad. The result is basically make sure you take extra insurance (be it personal or through the transport company) because the basic insurance for cariage of goods is nowhere near sufficient to cover any real damage to a bike whilst in transit.

Also traditionally Transport companies are well practised at weaselling out of paying so A) use a reputable company and B) use your own insurance company, let them have the hassle of chasing the carrier to recover any funds legally owed.

Grasshopperus
10th March 2011, 08:19
Transport companies only accept a $1500 liability for goods shipped, that's part of some NZ transport act or something.

I'd try to make the purchase contingent on receiving the goods. ie. you're not the one contracting the transport company, the bike shop is. You are not paying for a bike, you are paying for a bike to be delivered to your place. No (perfect condition) bike delivered to your place means no $$ for the vendor. Might fly.

The Pastor
10th March 2011, 10:35
Personally, i think $400 would be around the same cost to fly to auckland and ride the bike back.

But 100% check out the insurance before you get it shipped. There are some weird laws about transportation of good. I think the trucking company is only liable for a small amount of money.

The bike shop should be able to help

Grubber
10th March 2011, 11:12
There is a segment in pretty much most transport companies consignement notes to state whether you wish to have the Limited Carriers liability or have it travel at owners risk (in which you would have to get your own insurance).
For the most part you will need to make sure there is sufficient cover through there Limited liability insurance. 1 phone call once you know who is carting it will do th trick.

Blew
10th March 2011, 14:05
http://www.nzmotorcyclemovers.co.nz

We move bikes. FULL insurance cover. Anywhere in New Zealand.

We are leaders in our field and are used by professionals in the trade. All bikes we carry are fully insured to a maximum of $35,000.

• Secure enclosed storage, fully alarmed
• Nationwide coverage including interisland service (no third-party suppliers used)
• Skilled and experienced staff
• Roll-on, roll-off service
• Regular, reliable and trustworthy
• Scheduled delivery dates

Our vehicles are specially modified to ensure your motorbike is carefully and correctly loaded, shifted and delivered safely door-to-door.

We cater for all motorbikes including race bikes, quads, mini bikes, trikes and motocross. We also carry crated, crashed and damage bikes.

Our depot in Wellington also has secured, inclosed storage for bikes and onsite security personal for added piece of mind. If you need us to look after your bike let us know.

wysper
10th March 2011, 14:12
+1 to these guys.

They moved my bike from Welly Motorcycles to me here in Ham.
Bike arrived in MINT condition - even though it was second hand.

(at least I am pretty sure it was them. the truck looked like the one pictured!)

R-Soul
10th March 2011, 14:32
Hi

I am in the process of buying a $25K bike from an Auckland motorcycle company and asked about shipping the bike down to Chch. The cost to have it shipped is $430 which is reasonable but the issue I have is when I asked whose insurance covers the cost of the bike arriving in prestine condition the Motorcycle shops reply was the transport company would he assume pay for any damage and I should ask them about this. My reply was when I am paying the dosh and he is supplying the bike and arranging transport he needs to find out what the transport companies insurance covers and for how much. His reply was I could take out private insurance with Protecta for $606 per year and a $250 excess that would cover any damage in route. My reply was why should I have to cover any damage and pay an excess when the company shipping the bike should be covering this.
Looks like we may be at logger heads here and apart from making the transport company and the motorcycle shop supply a statement saying the bike is in an undamaged state before the trip down what else should I insist on?.

The purchase contract will not be complete until you make payment, as long as you agree that the purchase contract measn that they deliver it to your door. So dont make payment until the bike is sitting in your back yard, in pristine condition.
If it arrives in poor state, tell them that you are not completing the contract. the dealer can be as obtuse about it as they want. Until the money has changed hands, and until there has been deliver in the agreed copndition and place, then onwership has not changed hands. And you can insist that they come and pick up item from your front lawn before you start charging them storage...

ckai
10th March 2011, 14:36
+1 to these guys.

They moved my bike from Welly Motorcycles to me here in Ham.
Bike arrived in MINT condition - even though it was second hand.

(at least I am pretty sure it was them. the truck looked like the one pictured!)

I dunno about "mint"...it was a harley that turned up ;)

Blew
10th March 2011, 14:36
http://www.nzmotorcyclemovers.co.nz

We are leaders in our field and are used by professionals in the trade. All bikes we carry are fully insured to a maximum of $35,000.

• Secure enclosed storage, fully alarmed
• Nationwide coverage including interisland service (no third-party suppliers used)
• Skilled and experienced staff
• Roll-on, roll-off service
• Regular, reliable and trustworthy
• Scheduled delivery dates

Our vehicles are specially modified to ensure your motorbike is carefully and correctly loaded, shifted and delivered safely door-to-door.

We cater for all motorbikes including race bikes, quads, mini bikes, trikes and motocross. We also carry crated, crashed and damage bikes.

Our depot in Wellington also has secured, inclosed storage for bikes and onsite security personal for added piece of mind. If you need us to look after your bike let us know.

wysper
10th March 2011, 16:39
I dunno about "mint"...it was a harley that turned up ;)

well there is that, I just consider my self lucky it wasn't a triumph that arrived! :gob:

AllanB
10th March 2011, 16:51
Question - is your private insurance company prepared to offer full cover on the bike when residing in Christchurch anyway? A lot put the brakes on new insurance cover after Tuesday I understand.

What ya buying?

Mully
10th March 2011, 17:20
Transport companies only accept a $1500 liability for goods shipped, that's part of some NZ transport act or something

Yup - Carriage of Good Act, 1979

Unless the insurance company declines to pay out.... Which if he's not the customer (if the insurance company), how can he argue?

Much better to have your own comprehensive insurance.

Question - is your private insurance company prepared to offer full cover on the bike when residing in Christchurch anyway? A lot put the brakes on new insurance cover after Tuesday I understand.

Good point. Although, RentaTriumph may not be a private citizen looking for cover.

Geeen
10th March 2011, 18:28
well there is that, I just consider my self lucky it wasn't a triumph that arrived! :gob:

Whats wrong with Trumpys?? You seemed to like mine :Pokey:

RentaTriumph
10th March 2011, 20:47

What ya buying?

I should be OK with insurance as all my rentals are under the one business pack and I will simply add the bike onto the list.
I'm getting a new Triumph Thunderbird 1700cc big bore with ABS. This will be my personal bike :-)

ckai
11th March 2011, 09:06
Whats wrong with Trumpys?? You seemed to like mine :Pokey:

Exactly...let's get him :girlfight: bloody tassel wearing tractor riders

I should be OK with insurance as all my rentals are under the one business pack and I will simply add the bike onto the list.
I'm getting a new Triumph Thunderbird 1700cc big bore with ABS. This will be my personal bike :-)

I would have thought, for piece of mind, you might as well add it to your own policy before shipping even if the mover does have insurance. I also would have thought that if there was any damage, your insurance company can then get the money from whoever they thought was liable. But I don't really much about insurance and what they cover (if includes shipping within the country). I mean you gotta insurer it sooner or later.

Those bored-out T-birds are meant to be the absolute bee's knee's. Nice choice :niceone: