PDA

View Full Version : Something new something black something touring focused

Toaster
12th March 2011, 21:39
Away from all the disasters, bad news, sad news, dribble threads and general BS, I have some general bike news... new bike news.

I decided some time ago to look at what really suits me most as a rider and person and where I saw myself heading in the next few years.

My current ride, a Hayabusa was initially comfortable to ride and a real fun project bike to modify and certainly an ego toy. But I have found my injuries from my 2008 crash have made riding in that aggressive position all too painful to the point of distraction.

That had to become the basis for selecting a replacement ride.... that and the main uses of that bike. Work commuting has become more important at some 140km a day, with long shifts at work day and night. So comfort, safety and powerful headlights were needed.

The bike needs to cope with all seasons riding and provide adequate facilities to make that reasonably comfortable.

It also needed to have the right shape and fit to allow me to get injured hips onto and off the bike without causing too much pain that turns quickly nowdays to severe cramp.

Once seated, it needed to provide a riding position that minimised pain and allowed for regular rides in all weather, traffic, open country roads and city streets with motorway thrown in for good measure.

It also neededto have enough for spirited rides on days off and the ability to provide long distance touring for trips away.

After trying the fit of many bikes into my criteria, I moved away from sports, away from low set cruisers and into the less hedonistic realm of sports tourers. What a found was a real mixture - which is great for buyers - they varied greatly in almost every area.

Price - many were ruled out on high prices, too heavy, average handling or poor ergonomics for my shape and size, not to mention my injury needs.

Despite some very nice bikes, I settled on the Honda ST1300 ABS. By far the most comfortable, stable and best suited bike to all my needs. Fantastic storage too.

Great for work, for play and for travel. Overall - happy. Nothing incredible, just damn good.

I must be getting older.....

Safe riding there fellow bikers.
Toaster.

Gone Burger
12th March 2011, 22:18
Good on you Cam for making the change. I know it was a big decision for you, but am proud of you for making it. Your points of focus on comfort are so important, especially with the daily commuting you are doing in all weather.

Nice ride there my friend, I hope she serves you well. We are simply thrilled to see you are not without a bike. You are a true biker, who has the love and passion for it that we all love to see.

Safe riding on your new stead, now get out there boy and have some fun!!!

trailblazer
12th March 2011, 22:30
congrats on the new bike dude. I hope it serves you well and you get a heap of trouble free miles from it. It looks good in black to.

Skinon
12th March 2011, 22:49
It's real nice in bleck! Nice ride mate looks sliiiick!

Grasshopperus
12th March 2011, 22:51
Is that basically a newer version of a blackbird?

Mully
12th March 2011, 23:10
Nice bike, Toaster....

Is that basically a newer version of a blackbird?

The VFR1200 (*shudder*) is what Honda are claiming is the new Blackbird.

Metastable
13th March 2011, 05:06
Very nice ride.... getting on and off should be pretty easy on the ST. BTW, I like the set-up with the double garage and that huge concrete pad in front.

Mom
13th March 2011, 06:14
Good stuff Cam! It looks fantastic. We MUST get together and perve at each others new wheels when I finally get mine home.

nadroj
13th March 2011, 07:17
Welcome to the 'Busa - ST1300 club.

You will find these usefull:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/ST1300.html

http://www.st-owners.com/

Spearfish
13th March 2011, 07:26
Nice, very, very, nice.

Its very touring focused so don't be shy with your blogs of experiences on it.

PrincessBandit
13th March 2011, 10:43
Good stuff Cam! It looks fantastic. We MUST get together and perve at each others new wheels when I finally get mine home.

oooooohhh, can we make it a threesome? (just asking...)

98tls
13th March 2011, 19:44
Fark ya:nono:just reminded me "i to am getting old" thats a sweet looking bike T,a real mile eater for sure.Enjoy mate shes a beauty,whats the capacity of those panniers?

Toaster
14th March 2011, 13:03
Good on you Cam for making the change. I know it was a big decision for you, but am proud of you for making it. Your points of focus on comfort are so important, especially with the daily commuting you are doing in all weather.

Nice ride there my friend, I hope she serves you well. We are simply thrilled to see you are not without a bike. You are a true biker, who has the love and passion for it that we all love to see.

Safe riding on your new stead, now get out there boy and have some fun!!!

I would rather cut my nuts off with a spoon and mail them to the Pope than give up motorcycling.

Thanks Katie. The bike will need its first 1000km service just next week. It is no BUSA but has plently of stonk for public roads and I am enjoying it and all its practicality immensely.

Toaster
14th March 2011, 13:08
Fark ya:nono:just reminded me "i to am getting old" thats a sweet looking bike T,a real mile eater for sure.Enjoy mate shes a beauty,whats the capacity of those panniers?

The side panniers are enough to fit my XL Helmet, gloves and spare visor on one side, work boots etc on the other. I can't remember what the actual capacity in kg or litres was.

I have a top box coming in a few days from the UK. That easily fits two full sized helmets as well. I am getting the Honda bags for each pannier and top box to make transporting gear nice and easy plus a large tank bag aswell.

Basically a home away from home if I need it.

Yep, the ageing body is sure loving the comfortable riding position. I was standing at work for 11 hours yesterday and managed the ride to and from work no problems. Feels great - should have done this years ago, but I have had fun getting here.

Toaster
14th March 2011, 13:11

Thanks mate, already been through them and joined the ST site. It was very helpful in making the decision to buy and also finding parts to add on.... as I always seem to do.... its like a fetish!

Toaster
14th March 2011, 13:13
Very nice ride.... getting on and off should be pretty easy on the ST. BTW, I like the set-up with the double garage and that huge concrete pad in front.

Thanks! when we designed the house in 04 the one thing I demanded was a wide garage big enough to open the doors on the cars easily and park a bike.... and a beer fridge of course...

Toaster
14th March 2011, 13:19
Nice bike, Toaster....

The VFR1200 (*shudder*) is what Honda are claiming is the new Blackbird.

Thanks Mully. And yep, spot on. The VFR1200 replaced the Blackbird. Some are guessing that a T version will replace the ST in time too. Fair enough, but it may be just too expensive. Most of these touring bikes are getting close to $30k. The more budget versions in Suzuki and Triumph are either side of $20k but I didn't like either of them at all.

Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki are all nice bikes but the Honda was cheaper - as it should be for a fairly old design.

The BMW is very nice but ridiculously expensive. The goldwing, just too big and way out of my budget.

Toaster
14th March 2011, 13:20

You betcha! When is your bike due?

Maha
14th March 2011, 13:40
You betcha! When is your bike due?

Five months... its having a boy...:rolleyes:

Great choice in bike there Cam, did ya get to test ride a Concours at all?

Toaster
14th March 2011, 13:44
Five months... its having a boy...:rolleyes:

Great choice in bike there Cam, did ya get to test ride a Concours at all?

The issue I had with that bike and simlar where price and the height of the rear of the bike relative to the width of the panniers. The first test was could I get my leg over without kicking the panniers and not ending up in pain and cramping as a result - a problem I couldn't get around or ignore.

Only the Honda was shaped just right, low and narrow enough and at a better price. Happy to settle for the older design for the right price and fit.

Toaster
15th March 2011, 09:18
Nice, very, very, nice.

Its very touring focused so don't be shy with your blogs of experiences on it.

Yep, well I have done about 500km on it in the few days I have owned it so far, so yeah I am sure there could be a bit of blog material with a few road-trips in order.

My riding to work and back is fairly spirited... but at some point I should do a few fuel efficient rides to test the 29 litre fuel tank's legs.... and at $2.31 a litre for 98 fuel... ouch!

nadroj
15th March 2011, 09:49
I have put 29.0 litres in mine after running out by a service station and only had to push it 10 metres onto the forecourt. Capable of over 500km per tank but expect around 400 of spirited riding.

15th March 2011, 11:55
I rode tested the st1300 last year and really liked it,silky smooth and a real good ride. (and don't pretend that you don't play with the electric windshield non stop!);)

Spearfish
15th March 2011, 20:34
My riding to work and back is fairly spirited... but at some point I should do a few fuel efficient rides to test the 29 litre fuel tank's legs.... and at $2.31 a litre for 98 fuel... ouch!

Is 98 fuel by choice or requirement?

Toaster
16th March 2011, 11:00
Is 98 fuel by choice or requirement?

Both at times. Living out in the country limits my options especially at night.

I prefer 98 and tend to stay away from ethanol blends.

Edbear
16th March 2011, 11:29
The issue I had with that bike and simlar where price and the height of the rear of the bike relative to the width of the panniers. The first test was could I get my leg over without kicking the panniers and not ending up in pain and cramping as a result - a problem I couldn't get around or ignore.

Only the Honda was shaped just right, low and narrow enough and at a better price. Happy to settle for the older design for the right price and fit.

If you ain't comfy and happy, you've got the wrong bike... :cool:

george formby
16th March 2011, 11:38
Enjoy your bike!

I did some huge trips on the ST1100 & was always amazed at it's "usability". Great bikes.

Toaster
16th March 2011, 13:49
If you ain't comfy and happy, you've got the wrong bike... :cool:

Exactly right mate. I loved the BUSA but the practicality and comfort of the ST1300 is hard to beat.

Toaster
16th March 2011, 13:52
Enjoy your bike!

I did some huge trips on the ST1100 & was always amazed at it's "usability". Great bikes.

I certainly am. Great to be able to just leave all my gear, including jacket, in the panniers and just walk into work. Very handy indeed.

raftn
16th March 2011, 17:30
Lovely bike and well done.

Toaster
16th March 2011, 19:31
Thanks for the comments. Blinged... as you do.

Top box, various scuff pads and luggage bags arrive tomorrow. Gotta put the kitchen sink somewhere....

Stylo
16th March 2011, 20:39
I certainly am. Great to be able to just leave all my gear, including jacket, in the panniers and just walk into work. Very handy indeed.

Good call , I'm in the same boat currently doing the bizzo on my '09 'Busa with a lot of two up stuff but past injuries are , like you, making me look elsewhere ...maybe in the next 6 months hmm .

Only 3 Bikes on my list so far as a replacement...ZX14 , Concours and...the ST1300
. At this stage I'd go for the ZX14 followed by the ST, enjoy your new ride mate , nice bike and a better deal than the VFR1200, for a number of reasons.

Spearfish
17th March 2011, 17:50
As far as mounting the steed, do you leg over from the ground or step up on the peg then leg over?

Sounds like a silly question huh? , just seeing how you deal with a similar problem I have with movement.

Toaster
17th March 2011, 18:51
As far as mounting the steed, do you leg over from the ground or step up on the peg then leg over?

Sounds like a silly question huh? , just seeing how you deal with a similar problem I have with movement.

Just leg over, but I must say I have never considered standing on the peg.... hmmm.

Toaster
28th March 2011, 20:50

That ST owners forum is dangerous. I keep reading about all their "farkles" or "bling" as we call it.

So far I have added:
The Top Box - it is so handy
Tank bag and inner bags so I can now pack gear away from the bike
All the knee, tank and pannier scratch pads - black bikes are terrible for scratches
Honda valve caps (pointless mod, but hey....)

For me:
Touring Helmet - Shoei Quest
Replacement Winter gloves
New Hi Vis for the wet days and night riding to work
Waterproof neck warmer

Coming soon:
Stebel GenII airhorn
LED side running lights
Pannier tip over bars
Peg extensions
Headlight cover

Considering:
Instrumentation backing light change from that dated yellow look to blue and white.

DIN PELENDA
28th March 2011, 22:33
I know you going to enjoy this 1300 more then one before that ! Nice you stick with black.

Hinny
29th March 2011, 01:16
Clearly a man of great taste and discernment.
They do look good in Black... but I believe the Red ones go faster.

shafty
29th March 2011, 06:10
Congrats Toaster - looks fab in Black, welcome to the club.

I also admire the FJR and the Connie, but am very happy with my Pan - I reckon its the thinking Guys choice, especially with the awesome fuel range., and bang for the buck.

I converted my front turn signals to running lights (as well as turn signals of course) with a kit ex New Plymouth - about $NZ60 from memory.

I'd love to get a BIG lineup of ST's together for ride/Photo opp sometime - best I wait til I get back to NZ tho huh. I also had wired in, a lead for my radar detector, - and might add a power outlet to a front glovebox for GPS/Mobile charging etc.

Must catchup on ST-Owners, - there are some neat ST Riders around these parts too.

Well done

Regards

Shafty :yes:

Toaster
29th March 2011, 10:13
Congrats Toaster - looks fab in Black, welcome to the club.

I also admire the FJR and the Connie, but am very happy with my Pan - I reckon its the thinking Guys choice, especially with the awesome fuel range., and bang for the buck.

I converted my front turn signals to running lights (as well as turn signals of course) with a kit ex New Plymouth - about $NZ60 from memory.

I'd love to get a BIG lineup of ST's together for ride/Photo opp sometime - best I wait til I get back to NZ tho huh. I also had wired in, a lead for my radar detector, - and might add a power outlet to a front glovebox for GPS/Mobile charging etc.

Must catchup on ST-Owners, - there are some neat ST Riders around these parts too.

Well done

Regards

Shafty :yes:

Thanks for that mate, cheers.

The ST site is proving a valuable source of information that is for sure.

Let me know when you return to NZ and we will have to do an ST rally.

Hinny
31st March 2011, 08:11
we will have to do an ST rally.

I'll be in.

Rural Riders Rally - Anzac weekend - Tahora could be a good one to go to as a group.

sels1
31st March 2011, 08:49
Coming soon:
Stebel GenII airhorn

My favourite accessory...:yes: much fun to be had

Congrats on the new bike

Toaster
31st March 2011, 20:00
Thanks mate!

Smifffy
31st March 2011, 20:24
I'm interested on your thoughts on the helmet after a few miles.

Spearfish
31st March 2011, 20:30
If ya have a we bit of time could ya post a pic in full touring trim?

brumax
2nd April 2011, 20:32
givi luggage kit fitted, 52ltr topbox and 42ltr side cases,
extra tank, and higher gear final drive will do 160 miles between fill ups,
seat made more comfortable, wider bars with risers , crash bars/ highway pegs,
also uprated front brakes and suspension,
decent mileage from tyres
laser prostock race cans, coz its got tae sound as good as it looks

now very comfortable for all day ridin :cool:

oh, and it has to be ridin by rider wearing all black kit and shades :-)

Spearfish
2nd April 2011, 20:36
at least 10 characters.

brumax
2nd April 2011, 22:00
i have done about 15,000 miles with a pillion on this bike and with the seat mod and the topcase to lean on she said it was very comfortable, we had a tour to Croatia about 5,000 miles in 3 weeks, some long days on the road but no complaints form behind

DR650gary
3rd April 2011, 08:07
Lovely bike.

We went on a M/cycle course in Wellington last year and the instructor had one of these. He threw that around like a Nifty 50 in the Paekak hills and through the cones so don't underestimate the sport capabilities of that bike. Made me realise it is the rider, not the ride that makes the difference.

Enjoy.

Hinny
11th April 2011, 14:07
Anzac Weekend / Easter - Rural Riders Rally at Tahora.
Highly recommended.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/95211-Whangamomona-Rally-%2824-26-April-2009%29?p=1130033693#top

A quick jaunt for an ST.
Get to play on the Forgotten Highway. :woohoo:

Toaster
17th April 2011, 20:46
Anzac Weekend / Easter - Rural Riders Rally at Tahora.
Highly recommended.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/95211-Whangamomona-Rally-%2824-26-April-2009%29?p=1130033693#top

A quick jaunt for an ST.
Get to play on the Forgotten Highway. :woohoo:

I wish I could mate but have to work through part of that time... joys of shiftwork.

Toaster
17th April 2011, 20:50
Some pics from a recent Prorider day at Pukekohe Raceway. A great way to get used to the new bike.

Highlander
17th April 2011, 20:53
I wish I could mate but have to work through part of that time... joys of shiftwork.

:violin: My hours for Easter weekend are pretty much most of the Non public holiday hours, hence the long weekend is knackered for no extra pay. :angry:

Days off mid week are pretty cool though, get to do stuff like this. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/136923-Because-I-can...?p=1130038618#post1130038618)

trustme
18th April 2011, 17:23
Good move, totally under rated, way quicker than they have any right to be . Not too shabby on gravel either. Ideal bike for putting a lot of distance up very quickly with being crazy. Very surprising following one over the Whanagmomona Rd. Scraped it's guts continually but never lost shape & trucked on at a very quick pace, impressive.

nudemetalz
19th April 2011, 15:08
Nice machine, Toaster. Well done :)

Toaster
19th April 2011, 19:41
Good move, totally under rated, way quicker than they have any right to be . Not too shabby on gravel either. Ideal bike for putting a lot of distance up very quickly with being crazy. Very surprising following one over the Whanagmomona Rd. Scraped it's guts continually but never lost shape & trucked on at a very quick pace, impressive.

Nice machine, Toaster. Well done :)

Thanks, loving the bike. Never enough time to ride!!