PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor goes bang

slofox
18th March 2011, 17:09
Well, not bang, but appears to have lost its light - my first thought was "backlight is dead".

The I thought, "Hey! Those KB blokes and blokesses know everything! I'll ask there!"

SO here it is...

I'd been away from the screen for several minutes and came back to a black screen. Switching off and back on, rebooting computer etc all resulted in a brief but dull display that dies after a few seconds.

Swapped to an old CRT which is doing service at present. Works fine. Tried the LCD on the shop security camera with negative result - same as above.

Sooooo all computer whizzes, wotcha think? If it is the backlight is it just a matter of changing the tube?

Monitor is Viewsonic VX1940W.

bogan
18th March 2011, 17:14
What size hammer have you tried so far?

don't think tubes are changeable, sounds more like an inverter failure though, may be changeable, probably cheaper/easier to get a new one

steve_t
18th March 2011, 17:24
http://www.pbtechnz.com/?item=MONAOC2043

or

http://www.pbtechnz.com/?item=MONAOC2436VWH

:rockon:

Usarka
18th March 2011, 17:27
Too much pr0n.

slofox
18th March 2011, 17:35
What size hammer have you tried so far?

No hammer yet - didn't think of "percussive maintenance"

http://www.pbtechnz.com/?item=MONAOC2043

or

http://www.pbtechnz.com/?item=MONAOC2436VWH

:rockon:

You work there eh?

Too much pr0n.

I don't watch prOn at work - only at ho..ooPS! Errr...I mean ...err...ahhh...hehehe

steve_t
18th March 2011, 17:37
Too much pr0n.

Is that like too much money? I've heard it exists but don't think I'll ever see it

You work there eh?

Nah, they're just GC's to deal with

riffer
18th March 2011, 17:48
Most likely a capacitor. LCD screens are notorious for it.

slofox
18th March 2011, 17:52
Nah, they're just GC's to deal with

Agreed. I have had lots of dealings with them and they have done pretty well for me.

Gremlin
18th March 2011, 17:55
What sort of power lead or pack does it use? Philips monitors use the standard lead, very error free. The cheaper brands use the packs, which can fail.

slofox
18th March 2011, 17:57

Bloody thing is less than three years old...fuckin' crap device. I'll tell Viewsonic to stick it up their collective arse...

Gremlin
18th March 2011, 17:58
You has warranty?

slofox
18th March 2011, 18:48
You has warranty?

I assume so but I bought it online - probably from some dodgy outfit - who knows?

I will spend tomorrow dredging through back invoices until I find the parsnickular bit of paper...

pete376403
18th March 2011, 20:34

+1 on power supply caps. Hardest part about repairing them (LCDs) is getting the covers off without breaking all the tabs.

Also with regard to backlight florouscent tubes, it is possible to get white LED replacement strips from E-bay, for the more common brands.

slofox
18th March 2011, 20:40
What sort of power lead or pack does it use? Philips monitors use the standard lead, very error free. The cheaper brands use the packs, which can fail.

Just a plain ornery lead as far as I can see - no black boxes inline anywhere...

I brought it home to check out here - does just the friggin same. BUT I have found the original invoice...

I'll talk to Viewsonic on Monday. Meanwhile, I might just buy another one tomorrow. If Vewsonic come to the party I'll chuck the CRT I use at home.

mashman
18th March 2011, 20:53
Are you using windows 7? If so, a recent update caused the background of my PC to turn black and when the desktop is showing, it's very faintm little to no brightness... I assume it's a power option somewhere, although I havent bothered fixing it.

that or the kids did something

Smifffy
18th March 2011, 21:00
Are you using windows 7? If so, a recent update caused the background of my PC to turn black and when the desktop is showing, it's very faintm little to no brightness... I assume it's a power option somewhere, although I havent bothered fixing it.

that or the kids did something

I'm assuming that's why he checked it with the security cam; to eliminate the possibility that it was a problem with the PC.

mashman
18th March 2011, 21:04
I'm assuming that's why he checked it with the security cam; to eliminate the possibility that it was a problem with the PC.

now that's a bloody good point... i need more beer, but just a bit more :cool: (although windees 7 has been a PITA with setting the brightness and it'd power save stuff, for me anyway, both on work laptop and home PC)

Smifffy
18th March 2011, 21:10
now that's a bloody good point... i need more beer, but just a bit more :cool: (although windees 7 has been a PITA with setting the brightness and it'd power save stuff, for me anyway, both on work laptop and home PC)

I have that problem too - as the empties stack up on the desk, they get pushed further back and invariably push something else against the monitor adjustment button, and I always push the wrong button to make the menu go away and end up changing something. Then I can't get the menu back and find whatever it was to change back again.

:facepalm:

The Stranger
18th March 2011, 22:07
Bloody thing is less than three years old...fuckin' crap device. I'll tell Viewsonic to stick it up their collective arse...

We stopped selling viewsonic due to the large percentage of failures we experienced.
Even under warranty it cost us a packet.
I am left wondering how some of these manufacturers stay in business. Still I guess we just had a bad run. But I do know that we have now sold way more Philips and only had one warranty claim and 2 x DOA - which were immediately replaced.

Hard drives are another one that amaze me (MTBF WTF - some people actually believe that shit).

Smifffy
18th March 2011, 22:38
We stopped selling viewsonic due to the large percentage of failures we experienced.
I am left wondering how some of these manufacturers stay in business. Still I guess we just had a bad run. But I do know that we have now sold way more Philips and only had one warranty claim and 2 x DOA - which were immediately replaced.

Hard drives are another one that amaze me (MTBF WTF - some people actually believe that shit).

I've let the smoke out of every viewsonic I've had - 1 CRT and 2 LCDs. The cheap little chinese 15s I got a long time ago as a stopgap measure still run sweetly apart from 1 dead pixel on one, the two AOC monitors I have seem to be going well.

Never again with viewsonic.

Gremlin
19th March 2011, 00:34
On the hard drive side, we had several thousand dollars of Seagate ES 500GB drives, when they were at 11. Urgh, more than half of them have failed, and we're 3 years through a 5 year warranty.

We've used a lot of Philips monitors and rarely stray. Had 3-5 fail in 5 odd years, they collect, fix/repair, and send back. I even lucked into returning my own 17 and getting a 22 back :wings:

The Stranger
19th March 2011, 09:35
On the hard drive side, we had several thousand dollars of Seagate ES 500GB drives, when they were at 11. Urgh, more than half of them have failed, and we're 3 years through a 5 year warranty.

Only positive thing I can say about Seagate is at lest they are consistent.

steve_t
19th March 2011, 09:52

Seagate was really good until 7200.11
WD was the shit house one but they seem much better now.
IBM Deskstars were the worst

The Stranger
19th March 2011, 11:04
IBM Deathstars were the worst

Well sure they were pretty damn bad, but I'd pick the Quantum Big Foot drives for first place followed by the deathstars.

OMG! NERDS arguing over hardware. I'm going to shoot myself now!

slofox
19th March 2011, 12:25
Bought an AOC replacement this morning ($205). If the warranty on the Viewsonic comes through I will take this one home to replace my old Viewsonic CRT (which, incidentally, is way older than the LCD was and has never missed a beat). Good excuse to upgrade the home system...:devil2:

Vampirella
19th March 2011, 18:04
Well, not bang, but appears to have lost its light - my first thought was "backlight is dead".

The I thought, "Hey! Those KB blokes and blokesses know everything! I'll ask there!"

SO here it is...

I'd been away from the screen for several minutes and came back to a black screen. Switching off and back on, rebooting computer etc all resulted in a brief but dull display that dies after a few seconds.

Swapped to an old CRT which is doing service at present. Works fine. Tried the LCD on the shop security camera with negative result - same as above.

Sooooo all computer whizzes, wotcha think? If it is the backlight is it just a matter of changing the tube?

Monitor is Viewsonic VX1940W.Its Toast buy a nice new widescreen

steve_t
19th March 2011, 18:07
Its Toast buy a nice new widescreen

See post above yours :cool:

scracha
21st March 2011, 19:13

Eh ????? I don't know how it cost you anything. Viewsonic have a three year pickup and return warranty. Even out here in the wop wops they sometimes send a forward replacement.

Now dare anyone mention Acer and HP consumer gear?

The Stranger
21st March 2011, 20:57
Eh ????? I don't know how it cost you anything. Viewsonic have a three year pickup and return warranty. Even out here in the wop wops they sometimes send a forward replacement.

Because business customers call us when something goes wrong. They just want it sorted, they don't want excuses. So we wind up dealing with the warranty, they bought it from us so we sort it.
Dealing with a single warranty claim is sufficient to wipe out any margin on a sale on it's own.
We had a 45% failure rate under warranty on viewsonic over a couple years and the vast majority failed within 4 yrs.

We've always had a policy (for business customers) that if something goes kaput under warranty we get them back up and running ASAP. Down time can often cost a lot more than the machine itself. That often results in loan equipment being installed.
That service is easy to offer and costs us nothing with good gear.

slofox
22nd March 2011, 09:55
Update:

Viewsonic are honouring the warranty - they'll pay freight to and from their fixer-uppers in Christchurch (Monitor Tech). The techie there seemed to think it was "just a power problem"

Meantime I have an AOC 20inch "Razor LED". Which is not without a share of weirdness either. The first one I got had a brighter band about 20mm wide down the left hand edge. PB Tech swapped it for me but the replacement is probably worse than the original. The dude at PB said he thought the diffuser plate may be at fault.
How normal is this? Bloody annoying is all I can say. If they are all like that I'll get another brand.

steve_t
22nd March 2011, 09:57
Update:

Viewsonic are honouring the warranty - they'll pay freight to and from their fixer-uppers in Christchurch (Monitor Tech). The techie there seemed to think it was "just a power problem"

Meantime I have an AOC 20inch "Razor LED". Which is not without a share of weirdness either. The first one I got had a brighter band about 20mm wide down the left hand edge. PB Tech swapped it for me but the replacement is probably worse than the original. The dude at PB said he thought the diffuser plate may be at fault.
How normal is this? Bloody annoying is all I can say. If they are all like that I'll get another brand.

My AOC 2434 is awesome. Sorry to hear you're not having a good time with electronics

Latte
22nd March 2011, 10:50
Interesting,t he last place i worked for we sold pantloads of Viewsonics... wonder if they are all failing now :D

Old boss would be happy, he would claim the warranty , then tell the customer it was only a year so they had to buy new ones :facepalm:

scracha
22nd March 2011, 13:06
Interesting,t he last place i worked for we sold pantloads of Viewsonics... wonder if they are all failing now :D

Old boss would be happy, he would claim the warranty , then tell the customer it was only a year so they had to buy new ones :facepalm:

That's bloody terrible. Would be called theft in most countries.

Because business customers call us when something goes wrong. They just want it sorted, they don't want excuses. So we wind up dealing with the warranty, they bought it from us so we sort it.
Dealing with a single warranty claim is sufficient to wipe out any margin on a sale on it's own.

Crikey. I tell mine I'll deal with stuff, no exceptions within the 1st year. After that, they're paying courier costs or can deal with it themselves. Normally offering them loan equipment placates them. Obviously the more regular customers get better service.

With the joke margins in IT, expecting resellers to dealing with Negear equipment or Seagate drives failing within their 5 year warranty would just be unrealistic.

SMOKEU
22nd March 2011, 13:46
Too much pr0n.

Not enough of teh pr0n!

Gremlin
23rd March 2011, 02:42
Stop buying the cheap shit is my blunt answer. My time is valuable, and dicking around diagnosing, filling in warranties, etc... yeah... nah.

Philips. Even the consumer range have 3 year warranties, but the pixel tolerance is a bit higher (say, 3 dead, not 1)

The Stranger
23rd March 2011, 08:18
Stop buying the cheap shit is my blunt answer. My time is valuable, and dicking around diagnosing, filling in warranties, etc... yeah... nah.

Bit rough mate. I mean it's not obvious from this thread what the IT guys would recommend is it? And after all the AOC was probably $20.00 cheaper.

ducatilover
23rd March 2011, 10:18
Take a leaf from my book Slofox, 32 inch Sony TV. I can sit in the lounge and use the interwebbles, 1080p pr0ns and stuff! :love:

steve_t
23rd March 2011, 10:30
Take a leaf from my book Slofox, 32 inch Sony TV. I can sit in the lounge and use the interwebbles, 1080p pr0ns and stuff! :love:

But what if you want to watch TV as well as laugh at crazy people on KB? :innocent:
1080p pr0n? Is it so super clear that it shows up imperfections on the girls' faces? Do they have 3D pr0n out on blu-ray yet?

slofox
23rd March 2011, 12:30

The monitor is for the work computer - which will be sold with the business when I sell out. So the motivation to go to the best is not that great Howsumever, given enough annoyance from the current version, I may well go to something more upscale.

ducatilover
23rd March 2011, 14:27
But what if you want to watch TV as well as laugh at crazy people on KB? :innocent:
1080p pr0n? Is it so super clear that it shows up imperfections on the girls' faces? Do they have 3D pr0n out on blu-ray yet?
I haven't thought that far ahead, but, the remote works....
It doesn't just show imperfections on the faces.....
Hmmm not sure about 3D pr0n, perhaps a hooker or missus would be easier to set up?

The monitor is for the work computer - which will be sold with the business when I sell out. So the motivation to go to the best is not that great Howsumever, given enough annoyance from the current version, I may well go to something more upscale.
For sneaky work pr0n?

steve_t
23rd March 2011, 14:52
Hmmm not sure about 3D pr0n, perhaps a hooker or missus would be easier to set up?

The missus doesn't like pr0n, yet asks me to watch stuff like Twilight :shutup::crazy: As I type this, I'm thinking the relationship needs better balance

ducatilover
23rd March 2011, 16:18
The missus doesn't like pr0n, yet asks me to watch stuff like Twilight :shutup::crazy: As I type this, I'm thinking the relationship needs better balance

I think some careful and well thought out solutions need to be placed here. For every Twilight esque movie, 1 hour of pr0n with re-enactments is needed, before and after?

slofox
28th March 2011, 21:36
Viewsonic is back from MonitorTech in Christchurch, all fixed. Power supply had failed and is replaced.

Sent away last Wednesday, back today. Three working days turn around and this from a quake struck city.

I reckon that's bloody good service, meself. I'd recommend them if anyone asked.

BMWST?
2nd April 2011, 11:24

picture in picture!

rphenix
4th April 2011, 20:49
+1 on power supply caps. Hardest part about repairing them (LCDs) is getting the covers off without breaking all the tabs.

Also with regard to backlight florouscent tubes, it is possible to get white LED replacement strips from E-bay, for the more common brands.

Even worse now, some of those thin LED backlit LCD screens they make now have no screws holding them together :facepalm: Prytools aren't just for Apple products anymore :angry: