PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hondas article

Big Dave
24th June 2005, 17:01
Kiwi Rider Magazine 2003.

The Most Significant Motorcycle.

It all came flooding back when I started researching Brian’s 1972 CB750K2. The first bikes I took on the road were a mate’s CB200 and the CB450 I bought off another.

‘Abbott’ had a K2 that was always in my driveway, way back then, and even earlier I used to lap the local park on a CL90. Now, there they all were, before me on the model charts online.

The CB450 cost me $300 and blew more blue smoke than a two stroke. I sold it for the same amount a few months later, but it did open up a brave new world of two wheeled road going freedom that I’ve loved ever since.

So it was with some fond memories that we pulled the immaculate – and I mean ‘as new’ K2 out of the ‘Classics’ display at Motomail for a comparison ride with AMPS new ‘03 CB900 Hornet demonstrator.

It seemed logical to compare what many of its enthusiasts describe as the most ‘significant motorcycle ever’ and follow its lineage to the most recent ‘descendant’.

Same yet different?
In purely engineering terms the two bikes share the ‘CB’ designation, ‘Naked’, 4 cylinders - and not much else.

Yet they remain quite ‘conceptually’ similar in that they offer excellent performance from machines with the latest mechanical sophistication (for their day) at what has become traditional Honda ‘4’ prices.

In ’72 the CB750 sold for $1,995, the new CB900 Hornet is $13,995 and what you got, and get, is good value for the money.

Before 1969 performance bikes were European or American and while Sochiro Honda’s work in commuter bikes was well regarded by commuters, 100mph machines were not mass produced in Japan.

Then Honda released the CB750 K1 and the centre of the motorcycle world changed hemispheres. There were many examples of multi cylinder designs before the K1 but none had been given the development or provided the reliability for commercial success.

The Brits stuck steadfastly to Twins and by the time Triumph got around to developing the Trident, too much ground had been lost to the CB750 and the Kawasaki Z900 that followed. The old industries withered. Even H-D went through the AMF phase in the aftershock.

Most significant motorcycle of all time?
Some would argue that Daimler’s first motorcycle ever, or Harley’s, maybe Agostini’s MV, the Speed Twin, or the Bonneville’s two decades of dominance could be contenders, but that’s a hard as it is trying to compare these two bikes’ outright performance.

The 750’s SOHC, normally aspirated, 8 valve, that is now 31 years old, against todays EFI rocket is a ‘no brainer’, the new one eats it – all departments. It’s had 31 years of evolution. But it in a context like: ‘At the traffic lights, the ’03 Hornet will ‘hose’ Dad’s brand new Commodore just as convincingly as the K2 did Grandads HQ’ and you get the picture. The 750 was very quick for its day.

The K2 has a more relaxed and upright riding position and the feel of the bike encourages you to ride it smoothly, it accelerates easily into traffic and overtaking, even at freeway speeds is pretty effortless.

The new 900 has a more aggressive seating position that puts the riders head almost directly over the front forks and the lightness and power of the bike makes it so rewarding to ‘chuck it around’. It’s really fun to ‘blip’ the throttle because everything is so rapid. It dares you to lift the front wheel every now and then or hang the back out a little, mainly just because it can.

Both bikes are well mannered on the road if you choose to ride them that way. Instruments are easy to read on both, brakes on the ’72 aren’t anywhere near today’s standard, they do stop the bike OK, it’s just that the same effort when jumping back to the Hornet’s lever nearly produced a huge stoppie as the extra bite kicked in.

Finding neutral before stopping on the 750 is difficult. I’d forgotten all about that. It’s really hard to select neutral once stopped – and the clutch lever is so heavy that a serious hand ache ensues from one good set of city traffic lights. No such dramas from the modern set up. One click and the light is on.

All in all the K2 is ‘lazier’, more ‘relaxed’. It rolls on quite long and strong, it feels like a real solid workhorse. More significantly, it has evolved into quite a thoroughbred.

The Hornet is great fun and probably the most significant motorcycle I ever rode…..that afternoon.

White trash
24th June 2005, 17:10
I'd rather own the 750.

Thanks for sharing big guy.

justsomeguy
24th June 2005, 17:14
Awesome stuff as usual.

Say do you have any info about the ZXR400 or the TRX850??

Even personal opinions??

Big Dave
24th June 2005, 17:24
Nada on the 400. (I weigh 113kgs mid size bikes are under my radar)

I have only seen one of those Yamahas and I thought it looked very good value. Not an attractive bike, but quite a hard out edge look to it. Some of the appeal of a monster with japanese character - or lack of it depending on your taste.
It would appeal to me as a track day bike.

google them

Bonez
24th June 2005, 17:29
Good write up Dave. Personnally I prefer the SOHC 500/550/650s to the 750s because they are a more balanced bike compared to the sohc 750 :yes: -I had a F1 for a while, heavy pig of a thing it was. Also one thing you forgot is simlicity. SOHC honda fours are very easy to maintain/rebuild. The alloy is made of cheese and they usually also have a seeping head gasket.......... :love:

eliot-ness
24th June 2005, 17:29
Good article. Any chance of a look at the Bonneville one???

Groins_NZ
24th June 2005, 17:35
Thanks Dave.

G.

justsomeguy
24th June 2005, 17:35
Nada on the 400. (I weigh 113kgs mid size bikes are under my radar)

I have only seen one of those Yamahas and I thought it looked very good value. Not an attractive bike, but quite a hard out edge look to it. Some of the appeal of a monster with japanese character - or lack of it depending on your taste.
It would appeal to me as a track day bike.

google them

Done a bit of googling and test rode a ZXR4R - just trolling at the moment.....

The TRX looks nice - macho...:Punk: will test ride one in 10 months... when I get my full

Big Dave
24th June 2005, 17:36
Good article. Any chance of a look at the Bonneville one???

yeah OK - but I have to do some work for a while first - i've been messing about on KB in time outs in the NBA finals and need to catch up.

eliot-ness
24th June 2005, 17:39
Thanks Dave. No hurry

Motu
24th June 2005, 17:44
I had a red tank gold stripe CB750 once - not stupidly fast,just fast and plain stupid,way too much power for CB125 handling.At around the same time my wife had a disc brake T150 Trident,on paper similar performance,but to ride they were completely different bikes,the Trident's handling was a good match for it's power,one hell of a fun bike to ride,although I seemed to spend more time on the brakes than throttle.The CB750 was scary shit to ride,you spent your time waiting for something stupid to happen,then try to cope when it did,and it did happen,all the bloody time.A nice bike,but not something you could use all the capabilities of easily,the Trident you could push hard and know what to expect.I came from a British bike background,so maybe felt at home on one,someone who only rode Jap bikes may feel the CB750 was a great bike...no way,not to me!

Bonez
24th June 2005, 18:10
someone who only rode Jap bikes may feel the CB750 was a great bike...no way,not to me! No the 750 was/is overated. More of the midrange series bikes where sold worldwide than the 750s. handy resource here- http://www.honda-sohc.co.uk/

pritch
25th June 2005, 11:33
Good write up Dave. Personnally I prefer the SOHC 500/550/650s to the 750s because they are a more balanced bike compared to the sohc 750

I used to like my '73 CB500 which I seem to recall set me back about $1750 new. The main problems were the too-upright riding position which made trips a bit tiring. Also the first rust hole appeared in the mufflers about the week after the (three month) warranty ran out.

The CB900 has a better riding postion for the open road, stainless mufflers, and a 24 month warranty. At $10,995 it has to be the bargain of the year.

I think someone else here already said words to the effect, "Don't let anyone tell you about the Golden Age of motorcycling, this is the golden age of motorcycling."

Motu
25th June 2005, 11:53
[QUOTE=pritch008 this is the golden age of motorcycling."[/QUOTE]

True,every year for the past 35yrs has been the Golden Age of Motorcycling.You gotta be there,if you weren't there you can't say if it was or not.In 20yrs you may be calling the bike you ride now crap....or you may say it was the best bike you ever had....labels are your choice,just make sure the graphics are up to date.

Biff
25th June 2005, 14:22
I love Hornets. Actually I like all kinds of naked fun. I've have many a good time touring (tent, sleeping bag etc) on a CBF600S. Very comfortable, nimble and responsive handling. Shame about the tank range though.

speedpro
25th June 2005, 17:19
I have to agree with the comment about the 'balance' of the smaller Honda 4s. My CB750 (888cc, cam, rods, yadda yadda etc) was quick but never had the fun-to-ride balance of my girlfriend/wife's CB500. A set of Ace bars fixed the too-upright riding position.

Bonez
25th June 2005, 17:48
I have to agree with the comment about the 'balance' of the smaller Honda 4s. My CB750 (888cc, cam, rods, yadda yadda etc) was quick but never had the fun-to-ride balance of my girlfriend/wife's CB500. A set of Ace bars fixed the too-upright riding position.Or CB650z pattern bars from Ventura with about a 2" rise. Switch blocks had to be modded by filing a 1/2 notch for the wiring, as wiring went through the handle bars, and removing the block locating pin. Drilled front disk, vesra brake pads and steel braided brake lines boosted braking.