PDA

View Full Version : Wellington MAG

apes
21st March 2011, 21:11
Most of you won't know me, most of you won't trust in MAG because of the lack of action we have carried out in the last year. All that aside I am calling upon all bikers in the Wellington area, be you commuters on a 50cc scooter or a 1%er with some radical raked Swedish style chopper, I don't care what you ride I just care that you are passionate about keeping on the road, riding where you want and how you want.
I am the defacto Wellington region rep for MAG, I have been biking for 24 years and plan to be biking in 24 years time, I enjoy getting up the nose of the politicians making them realise unless they act upon our demands we will be back again and again.
There are ideas I have for things that need doing now under the MAG banner, but without a core of active members to discuss and plan these events. I want to lock down the city centre with bike related traffic, I want to have a meeting place on the door step of parliament.
But to do this I need your support, your membership and most importantly I need passion to be involved in resetting the balance in favour of biking and bikers. This will not be a quick fight but it is a necessary fight and it needs to be done along with talking to those that want to take our way of life from us.
If you are truly interested in the fight and want to know more pm me on here or email me at wellington@mag-nz.org alternatively post on this thread I will reply as soon as I can

Apes
Rider rights isn't about appeasing the pollies, it about getting what's rightly yours

Hitcher
21st March 2011, 21:22
Please outline "what is rightly ours", just so we have a bit of an idea why we should commit to an otherwise random programme of public nuisance.

bogan
21st March 2011, 21:23
Please outline "what is rightly ours", just so we have a bit of an idea why we should commit to an otherwise random programme of public nuisance.

Join up and put your own ideas forward!

Hitcher
21st March 2011, 21:28
Join up and put your own ideas forward!

Before or after the random acts of public nuisance designed to capture the attention of "politicians"?

Pissing people off without having a policy platform that can be simply expressed and easily understood seems to me to be a strange way of going about things. Call me old fashioned.

caseye
21st March 2011, 22:16
Before or after the random acts of public nuisance designed to capture the attention of "politicians"?

Pissing people off without having a policy platform that can be simply expressed and easily understood seems to me to be a strange way of going about things. Call me old fashioned.

LOL,OK, yer "old fashioned" a fair stand to take Hitcher, as is Bogans one of joining up, or simply going along and putting your own ideas forward.What has been discovered time and time again by anyone trying to organise bikers in NZ is thats it's worse than rounding up cats!
Apathy seems to exude from most bikers, thye'd tell you it's their fierce sense of independance and a belief that they can do it for themselves, don't need anyone else to do it for them.
Well thats right, they don't need someone to do it for them.
But they do need someone who is willing to stand up and say "right troops/people, today we're riding to town, real slow, past the Beehive(you know across their entrance way) and then maybe parking up outside ACC NZ's head office in Welly for an our or two".
Or not, thats what apes is trying to get across here, without every biker in Welly who sees this and doesn't react proactively or simply pointing out the obvious MAG-NZ can literally go nowhere fast.
At least give the guy a chance to see how many of you there are down there willing to say, yes, I'm here and I'm ready to help in any way that will get us noticed (OK, without causing mass panic or disruption) at least in the first instance and then perhaps with the help of those willing suitable plans that will get results can be forumlated.
Come on Welly give apes a fair crack of the whip, let him see how many of you there are still alive and kicking down there that have had enough of being dictated to.
Show some commitment, get involved, make it your organisation, do it.

apes
21st March 2011, 23:04
What is rightly ours, well where do I start. The right to roads that are built to a standard that is safe for use by bikes in all weather, not just dry days due to too much bitumen/tar sitting on top of the road seal as it never properly set when first laid.
On street free parking to stay where it is required within the CBD and actually increased where space permits on some of the excessively wide pavements in Wellington.
MSL scrapped as it is not needed to improve the safety of riders as the funds were already there to invest in improvements that are suitable for New Zealand.
ACC funding modified as we can only ride one bike at a time, whilst this may increase the fees for some but will make it fairer for all.
Force a rethink on the speed kills nonsense, whilst I am not advocating speeding, however it is normally a lack of concentration or reckless riding that causes the accidents and not speed.
If I thought about it more I could probably think of more. I am not asking for action for the sake of action, any case of action would be for a specific reason and would be promoted so the public and authorities should be aware it is going to happen, but it will still cause an inconvenience for the general public and a headache for the authorities that they know if they don't listen to us we will be back time and time again.
Action is not our only weapon but it is the best one we have to make the powers that be are aware we mean business.
If this is not your way that is fine, but for those that are I am here and waiting

Ride safe, ride free
Apes