PDA

View Full Version : Rego on hold

mokomoa
21st March 2011, 22:22
I,m keen to put my rego on hold when it runs out rather than fork out 500+ bucks for re reg.
How do you do this? Post Office, or AA??
Whats the penalty if the cops catch ya riding after this?
Do they confiscate the bike roadside + fine? demeritts incurred?
$528 for 1 yr reg
$426 of this is acc.. WTF!!
I,m between jobs at the minute, so if i crash i can,t even claim acc.

FJRider
21st March 2011, 22:37
Do it online ... its called "officially" applying for exemption ...

$200 Fine for no rego ... or no wof ... no demerits that I'm aware of ...

mokomoa
21st March 2011, 22:40
Do it online ... its called "officially" applying for exemption ...

$200 Fine for no rego ... or no wof ... no demerits that I'm aware of ...

Thanks m8! How about the confiscation bit??
Do they impound the bike?

FJRider
21st March 2011, 22:46
Thanks m8! How about the confiscation bit??
Do they impound the bike?

Nah ... at worst pink sticker ... but usually just tell you to fuck off HOME ... directly .. after a ticket ( quotas ... and all that ... )

mokomoa
21st March 2011, 22:59
Nah ... at worst pink sticker ... but usually just tell you to fuck off HOME ... directly .. after a ticket ( quotas ... and all that ... )

Cheers! Appreciate the help.

hayd3n
21st March 2011, 23:02
keep getting warrents
warrents = safer bike

mokomoa
21st March 2011, 23:12
keep getting warrents
warrents = safer bike

Yep, no worries there.
My main concern was whether i would have to do a runner or not.. Just to try and keep my bike.
I,m not keen on putting joe public in harms way tho. So will just pull over and take it if need be.

davereid
23rd March 2011, 15:56
Its a $200 fine. No roadside confiscation, just a ticket. Cops less trouble than meter maids.

I haven't bothered with licensing my bike since they put the fees up. Never been an issue, even been through check points and let off.

You are still fully covered by ACC and insurance. Keep WOF up-to-date.

AllanB
23rd March 2011, 16:39
You may want to check with your insurance company. They may have a clause stating it must be registered (there will be one stating it must be warranted).

Just in case there is a technicality for them to grasp at.

Be a bloody waste of $200 if you get caught!

I wonder what would happen if every rider said F-it I'm not paying rego. Probably just earn the Govt. more in fines as there would be a blitz on bikes.

Usarka
23rd March 2011, 16:44
Mines on hold.

CookMySock
23rd March 2011, 21:21
Ditto. I've had enough. I'm not going to pay any fine either. They can ram it up their bum. :violin:

mazz1972
23rd March 2011, 21:23
Someone told me last week the fine had gone up to $400??

mokomoa
23rd March 2011, 21:44
Cheers guys, for some reason i thought the fine would be more if the bike was on hold?
Davereid, i can,t claim acc with no job m8.

CookMySock
24th March 2011, 06:46
i can,t claim acc with no jobEh whut? Whats the point of the levy then?

Quasievil
24th March 2011, 06:50

Be a bigger waste of $500+ if you dont :innocent:

Mines on hold as well, for me its a principal thing, its a rip off and unfair that my pass time has been singled out and taxed when everyone elses hasnt, its not on !!

My insurance Company Kiwibike insurance tells me I dont need rego for insurance just a warrant, and even then if the non warrantable aspect wasnt the reason for the accident then I dont need that either.

NighthawkNZ
24th March 2011, 06:51
I,m between jobs at the minute, so if i crash i can,t even claim acc.

??? ??? ummm yes you can...

Scuba_Steve
24th March 2011, 07:01
keep getting warrents
warrents = safer bike

:killingme :rofl:

Swoop
24th March 2011, 09:00
keep getting warrents
warrents = safer bike
Tui advert time?

The WOF only checks the vehicle at that time.
Servicing and checking the bike would be a better approach.

Toaster
24th March 2011, 11:41

Not always, you can be made to leave it there.

Pink stickers are for safety/WOF issues.

Green for other defects/infringements.

Toaster
24th March 2011, 11:48
ACC claims do not require you to be in work.

Compensation for lost income is assessed on a time period of earnings.... likely the last 12 months.

So the longer you don't work, the lower the compensation amount calculated.

However what you are saying is, you wish to ride about and not pay the levy when you expect to get a handout if you do crash. In other words, you would like the rest of us to contibute to you. Just some wider consequences to think about.

It is no better the benefit fraud and is completely selfish. Can't pay? Seek help from WINZ. Use the proper channels and don't abuse the system the rest of us have to prop up and pay for the free loaders.

Quasievil
24th March 2011, 12:17
It is no better the benefit fraud and is completely selfish. Can't pay? Seek help from WINZ. Use the proper channels and don't abuse the system the rest of us have to prop up and pay for the free loaders.

fee loader ???
I pay Work ACC levies, I pay for car Rego I pay pay pay and when I done that I pay some more!!

its my obligation as a nZ citizen to protest against laws that target minority groups negatively so dont give me that freeloader crap !!

how ya doing anyway dude, hope all is well :innocent:

SpankMe
24th March 2011, 12:22
My GB has been on hold for a couple of years now and I've been caught twice. :shit: Both times been let off with a warning. :woohoo:

SpankMe
24th March 2011, 12:24

ACC already get four payments outta me. Why should I pay more if the system isn't setup fairly.

FJRider
24th March 2011, 21:16
Not always, you can be made to leave it there.

Pink stickers are for safety/WOF issues.

Green for other defects/infringements.

Pink means a trailer home ... :yes:

Green means you ride it home ... :yes:

Attitude on the day ... at the time WILL get you PINK ... :yes:

Don't believe me ... :blink:

Try it ... give the cop PLENTY of stick ... :innocent:

Just make sure you have cell phone coverage ... FIRST ... :sunny:

davebullet
24th March 2011, 21:41
So - do you have to back date / pay catchup when you take it off hold?

How long can it be on hold for before dereg?

pete376403
24th March 2011, 22:26
You can put reg on hold for mimimum of three months, up to twelve months at a time. Before the twelve months are up apply for another 12 months worth. You can keep doing this repeatedly. My GS1100 has been on hold for about three years so far. When you re-register at the end of the hold period it's not backdated UNLESS you re-register before the three month minimum exemption expires, otherwise it starts from the day you re-register.
Registration can be cancelled if the hold period runs out and you don't do anything about it. Once reg is cancelled, get it re-registered can mean re-vinning, with all the expense that can entail, especially if you have a pretty old bike - it might have to be bought up to latest vehicle spec.

Toaster
26th March 2011, 13:12
how ya doing anyway dude, hope all is well :innocent:

Yeah okay mate.... just getting by nowdays but loving the bike. Needing to make some serious changes ahead.

I can feel a few group winter social rides coming on.

Toaster
26th March 2011, 13:22
ACC already get four payments outta me. Why should I pay more if the system isn't setup fairly.

I understand the sentiment. Every blimmin organisation is taking a chunk out of us and I agree it is unfair on motorcyclists without any doubt.

The issue I have is when levies or taxes are not paid, the burden is shifted onto those that do pay by covering costs via increases in those levies, premiums and taxes.

I'd just wish we had a Govt with balls enough to shift from direct to indirect taxation and allow us to choose what we do with our money more than currently allowed. It worked incredibly well in Ireland.

The ACC fees for bikers are beyond a joke and all because the way they have to cover their liabilities has changed.

rastuscat
30th March 2011, 15:09
Good to see DB back.

Quasi, interested in your notes on principals. Maybe you mean principles. Either that or the guy who runs your local school is a problem.

I register. It's just coz I'm a girlie swat. I heard everything others have said, and I agree with a lot of it. I just can't justify being a Popo and not registering my personal bike, when the company registers my work one.

Odd things, personal ethics.

rastuscat
30th March 2011, 15:22
Good to see DB back.

Did I really write that?

DOH !!

reemit
30th March 2011, 15:34
It's just coz I'm a girlie swat.
Hi, do you mean girlie swat, swot:hitcher:, or S.W.A.T.:ar15:? Need clarification for mental picture :scratch:

CookMySock
30th March 2011, 21:32
I register. [...] I just can't justify being a Popo and not registering my personal bike, when the company registers my work one. Odd things, personal ethics.Hrm it'd create a bit of a hassle upstairs if you started telling LEOs to shove their ticket for no rego up their ring while riding on yer day off. I can see that going down real good. :sick:

I can see all this going real pear-shaped for the govt actually. No one wants to pass over their money, the govt needs all the cash it can rake up, and I think theres gunna be a stand-off before long. I'm ready to be a part of it - no more little tax here and there.. With nine vehicles, thats 5k due just on rego, and I'm not gunna pay it. 3k maybe, 5k no, sorry. :violin:

davereid
31st March 2011, 13:01
I understand the sentiment. Every blimmin organisation is taking a chunk out of us and I agree it is unfair on motorcyclists without any doubt. The issue I have is when levies or taxes are not paid, the burden is shifted onto those that do pay by covering costs via increases in those levies, premiums and taxes. I'd just wish we had a Govt with balls enough to shift from direct to indirect taxation and allow us to choose what we do with our money more than currently allowed. It worked incredibly well in Ireland.

The ACC fees for bikers are beyond a joke and all because the way they have to cover their liabilities has changed.

I agree with you. Id would cheerfully pay the same as a car. But even then I think it is too high.

To me, if the system is "no fault" then all users should pay the same.

Or if you include fault, then you must say "bikers are responsible for 50% of their accidents, and car drivers responsible for 99% of their accidents"

If you include liability, then you must say "Bikers hurt themselves, and have little third part liability, but cars drivers have extensive third party risk"

I cant really see any reason to charge bikes more, except vulnerability.

And I don't like the idea that we tax the vulnerable, just because they are vulnerable.

Usarka
31st March 2011, 14:15
Odd things, personal ethics.

I'd agree if I thought the ACC levies were ethical.

Pixie
5th April 2011, 11:53
You may want to check with your insurance company. They may have a clause stating it must be registered (there will be one stating it must be warranted).

Just in case there is a technicality for them to grasp at.

I wonder what would happen if every rider said F-it I'm not paying rego. Probably just earn the Govt. more in fines as there would be a blitz on bikes.

There is a difference between Vehicle registration and Vehicle licensing.

"Registration is the process where we add a vehicle’s details to the Motor Vehicle Register and issue its registration plates. Vehicle licensing is where you pay a regular fee to use your vehicle on public roads. The fee helps to pay for roading projects and road safety programmes. Your vehicle must be both registered and licensed for you to legally drive it on the road."

Pixie
5th April 2011, 11:58
I'd just wish we had a Govt with balls enough to shift from direct to indirect taxation and allow us to choose what we do with our money more than currently allowed. It worked incredibly well in Ireland.

I just wish we had a population that had balls enough to stand up for the right not to be discriminated against.

Toaster
5th April 2011, 12:36
I just wish we had a population that had balls enough to stand up for the right not to be discriminated against.

Very true. We see many in the UK fighting back against public service cuts, massive unrest in the middle east and north africa. People taking on and protesting against rulers out of step with the will of the people.

We keep bending over and letting them do it to us. That is also a large part of why our wage to costs ratio sucks so much in NZ. Soft target, higher margins.... we just go quietly.

chasio
5th April 2011, 13:06
See http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4849437/Demerit-points-hiked-for-unlicensed-cars

From the article:

"If drivers got 100 or more demerit points within two years, they would be suspended from driving for three months. The current penalty is $200, which will reduce to $150 but with 20 demerit points.

From May 1 the NZ Transport Agency could require people to surrender licence plates when putting their licensing on hold."

And

"The new penalties applied only to those tickets served personally by a police officer.

Police would continue to give a person, ticketed for the first time with an unlicensed car, a two-week grace period to licence their vehicle before any penalties applied."

No grace period for bikes or just lazy reporting? I pick the latter.

CookMySock
5th April 2011, 13:06
I just wish we had a population that had balls enough to stand up for the right not to be discriminated against.Bring it muthah! Be part of the solution.

Next time they give you the bill for some little misdemeanor (cough I mean heinous crime against society), tell them to roll their infringement notice up and smoke it. :yes:

To me, if the system is "no fault" then all users should pay the same.But what if they put the price up everywhere? And then, what if every month they introduce some new fee, or some other activity that you can be fined for? When does it end? That one person is charged more than the next is just an excuse to put the lower fee up again - it's a trick retailers use all the time - they just keep stepping one price over the next while drawing attention to the lower one.

davereid
5th April 2011, 15:58
See http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4849437/Demerit-points-hiked-for-unlicensed-cars

From the article:

"If drivers got 100 or more demerit points within two years, they would be suspended from driving for three months. The current penalty is $200, which will reduce to $150 but with 20 demerit points.

From May 1 the NZ Transport Agency could require people to surrender licence plates when putting their licensing on hold."

And

"The new penalties applied only to those tickets served personally by a police officer.

Police would continue to give a person, ticketed for the first time with an unlicensed car, a two-week grace period to licence their vehicle before any penalties applied."

No grace period for bikes or just lazy reporting? I pick the latter.

NZTA may also decline to let to put a bike on hold with the new rules as well, if you have flouted the law in the past.

Murray
5th April 2011, 16:09
In todays news

The New Zealand Superannuation Fund reported gains on its investment nearly $2.3 billion above forecast. ACC and the EQC also experienced gains on their investments of $788 million due to strong equity markets.

Also, ACC and GSF experienced favourable changes in claims and the discount rate to calculate the present value of the future expected payments.

Those two factors resulted in a gain for ACC of more than $1 billion, $1.9 billion higher than a forecast loss of $853 million, and a gain for GST of $288 million, $144 million higher than expected.

Toaster
5th April 2011, 16:21
Driving an unlicensed vehicle could soon see you banned from the road.
The fines for those driving unlicensed vehicles will be reduced and offenders instead handed demerit points, Transport Minister Steven Joyce has just announced.
He said the changes to vehicle licensing regulations will be a deterrent to those who try to dodge payment.
"We know there are people who would currently rather risk the fine than pay their licensing fees," Joyce said.
"That's unfair to other law-abiding motorists. Demerit points can act as a stronger deterrent than fines as repeat offenders will face the loss of their driver's licence."
If drivers got 100 or more demerit points within two years, they would be suspended from driving for three months. The current penalty is $200, which will reduce to $150 but with 20 demerit points.
From May 1 the NZ Transport Agency could require people to surrender licence plates when putting their licensing on hold. They could decline an application to put licensing on hold when a person had abused this right in the past.
"There is a segment of drivers and motorcyclists who put their vehicle licence on hold while continuing to drive their vehicle as a way of avoiding payment. These measures combined with the added threat of demerit points, send a strong message that the Government will not tolerate this," Joyce said.
"The largest segment of the licence fee is an ACC levy that covers the cost of road injuries. These people are on the road and face the same risks as the rest of us.''
The new penalties applied only to those tickets served personally by a police officer.
Police would continue to give a person, ticketed for the first time with an unlicensed car, a two-week grace period to licence their vehicle before any penalties applied.
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=168>
Offence

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=141>
Current penalty
(will continue to apply when offence is enforced by a parking warden)

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=233>
Planned new penalty
(only for tickets personally served by a police officer)

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=168>
Unregistered

$200

$150 plus 20 demerit points

No plates affixed

$200

Driving while licence on hold

$200

Unlicensed vehicle

$200

$100 plus 15 demerit points

Current licence label not affixed

$200

$75
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Toaster
5th April 2011, 16:25
Question is.... will it change your behaviour with the new risk of demerits, or will you just carry on riding without a current rego?

Will be interesting to hear the results and whether those that break the law will just continue to do so anyway regardless of the demerits risk and run their chances (which I suspect they will).

Oblivion
5th April 2011, 16:32
This is all the more reason to make false rego labels. If you do it well enough, no one will notice :shifty:

Mokadah
5th April 2011, 20:47
Ridiculous. I've been pulled over twice in four years, no rego check either time - and of course I've been a fully paid-up chump the whole time.

Upon hearing of this new discount I've just put the rego on hold.

The thing with handing in the licence plates, well, it'd be annoying if some bugger stole your plate and you had to pay the <$20 fee for a replacement.

steve_t
5th April 2011, 20:50
Ridiculous. I've been pulled over twice in four years, no rego check either time - and of course I've been a fully paid-up chump the whole time.

Upon hearing of this new discount I've just put the rego on hold.

The thing with handing in the licence plates, well, it'd be annoying if some bugger stole your plate and you had to pay the <$20 fee for a replacement.

How do you know the cop didn't run your plate while he was in his car, before he spoke to you?

racefactory
11th April 2011, 14:09
Question is.... will it change your behaviour with the new risk of demerits, or will you just carry on riding without a current rego?

Will be interesting to hear the results and whether those that break the law will just continue to do so anyway regardless of the demerits risk and run their chances (which I suspect they will).

I will continue to run without rego and risk the demerit points. Personally it's the fines that are more of a deterrent to me. Demerit points don't affect me as I find it hard to rack up that amount to be banned. Now they have lowered the fine to $150 so I actually feel more at ease.

This is all the more reason to make false rego labels. If you do it well enough, no one will notice :shifty:

They don't even glance at the piece of paper... they just need to know what's on their computer.

Max Preload
11th April 2011, 16:20
I just wish we had a population that had balls enough to stand up for the right not to be discriminated against.Ooooh I'm watching the wankby and having a dozen beers. Can't someone else do it?:yes:

Elysium
11th April 2011, 16:31
Going to put mine on hold now as well as I can't keep up with the bloody costs. So can you choose how long you want to put bike on hold or is there's a set time frame?

Max Preload
11th April 2011, 16:38
Going to put mine on hold now as well as I can't keep up with the bloody costs. So can you choose how long you want to put bike on hold or is there's a set time frame?If you don't want to pay backdated license fees it's a minimum of 3 months from date of application for exemption from continuous licensing or expiry of last license, whichever is later. Also, backdated fees are payable if it's not exempted from continuous licensing within 2 months of the last licence or exemption expiry.

sil3nt
11th April 2011, 18:34
Going to put mine on hold now as well as I can't keep up with the bloody costs. So can you choose how long you want to put bike on hold or is there's a set time frame?Do it online. You can choose 3, 6 or 12 months.

thepom
15th April 2011, 10:42
If you go to a vtnz station they will do it for a month at a time.....

Max Preload
15th April 2011, 15:40
If you go to a vtnz station they will do it for a month at a time.....If you go to any licensing agent you can do it for anything from 1 day to 15 months.

racefactory
15th April 2011, 23:57
What is a licensing agent? I only know of internet and post office which allows you to do 3 months minimum.

Max Preload
16th April 2011, 02:41
What is a licensing agent? I only know of internet and post office which allows you to do 3 months minimum.

These. (http://nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/where.html)

If you fill out the correct form (MR27 - Application to Change License Expiry Date) you can get any amount of licence you like.

Swoop
16th April 2011, 06:51
:niceone:
Yay for scanners and photoshop. It will fool parking nazi's and random checkpoints but not a computer check.

Going to put mine on hold now as well...
It's best to occasionally register for a very minimal period. If you do end up being sprung, then the backdates tax will only go back to the period when last registered.

miloking
16th April 2011, 08:09
CBR back on hold (was briefly "regoed" over summer so the "back date" time isnt so huge in case i get sprung with some bullshit....)

Also loss of licence doesnt bother me too much (have just got clean 100 point licence back 3 months ago so those points should last me at least a year hopefuly)

....mostly its just a plastic card that helps you get into clubs and buy beer (also handy to have several cards in case of 28 day road side suspension, so just pop into you local AA and fill out that "loss of licence" form :D and pay your $25 fee or whatever it is so you have something to "hand" in when you do get suspended....

i know its not valid and you are still suspended if they run a computer check....but they never do when they see shiney new card, lol

CookMySock
16th April 2011, 08:19
[...] just pop into you local AA and fill out that "loss of licence" form :D and pay your $25 fee or whatever it is so you have something to "hand" in when you do get suspended....LOL thats good. But you don't have to pass your property into their possession when they demand it. Just let them look but don't touch. Cops will do ALL sorts of shit on the basis of implied consent, and a simple "no" fixes it all.

Yow Ling
16th April 2011, 08:38
LOL thats good. But you don't have to pass your property into their possession when they demand it. Just let them look but don't touch. Cops will do ALL sorts of shit on the basis of implied consent, and a simple "no" fixes it all.

Your licence is not really your property, its theirs

CookMySock
16th April 2011, 14:33
Your licence is not really your property, its theirsAny item whatsoever that is in my possession is mine. Perhaps they are going to wrestle it off me? I do not think so.