PDA

View Full Version : 2011 YZF-R15 in store $4995 + ORC

Waikato Yamaha
22nd March 2011, 07:53
With all the ‘R’ hallmarks, the YZF-R15 will appeal to riders keen to own a piece of race bred heritage. And with a high level of user friendliness, the R15 will also appeal to riders who need to ride a motorcycle every day.

R15 designs were developed in the same modeling room where YZF-R1 designers worked and information was shared, ensuring that the ‘R’ lineage was passed on. The new model also incorporates practical features such as a comfortable riding position for both pilot and pillion.

With the ability to cruise at 120kmh plus and return an average fuel consumption of around 45kms per litre, the R15 blends performance, reliability and low running costs. It is designed to appeal to riders looking for a practical motorcycle for every day riding that sports R-series trademark sharp looks.

Tech heads are well catered for with a 150cc liquid cooled and fuel injected engine slotting into a Deltabox chassis boasting linked monocross suspension. R15 bristles with state-of-the-art technology also seen on the world’s best supersport bikes, such as a forged aluminium piston running in an all aluminium DiASil cylinder which offers the benefits of light weight, great heat dissipation, less oil consumption and high levels of wear resistance.

Engine
Engine Type Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, 4-valve
Displacement 150 cc
Bore x Stroke 57×58.7 mm
Compression Ratio 10.4:1
Lubrication System Wet Sump
Fuel Management Electronic Fuel Injection
Ignition TCI
Starter System Electric
Fuel Tank Capacity 12.0 L
Oil Capacity 1.0 L
Final Transmission Chain
Transmission Return type 6-speed

Dimensions
Length 1995 mm
Width 670 mm
Height 1070 mm
Seat Height 790 mm
Wheelbase 1290 mm
Ground Clearance 160 mm
Wet Weight 131 kg with 12.0 litres of fuel

Chassis
Frame Type Deltabox
Suspension Front Telescopic
Suspension Rear Linked Monocross
Brakes Front Single disc
Brakes Rear Single disc
Tyres Front 80 / 90-17
Tyres Rear 100 / 80-17

In store now with a RRP of $4995 + ORC

sportsbikesrock
26th March 2011, 15:18
I am considering one of these. Why is the R125 more expensive? Also is there any word if Yamaha are going to make a 250cc variant of this bike?

blackdog
26th March 2011, 15:30
I am considering one of these. Why is the R125 more expensive? Also is there any word if Yamaha are going to make a 250cc variant of this bike?

more expensive than what?

sportsbikesrock
26th March 2011, 15:44
On TM the R125 is between $6,495 and $8,750 where as the R15 is $4990.

James Deuce
26th March 2011, 16:21
Because the 125 is made in a proper factory, where the R15 is made by 4 year old's chained to benches with their sewerage running through an open drain under their benches which have holes cut in them to facilitate the disposal of human waste.

SilentDtH
27th March 2011, 02:30
An interesting read here (Indian review site): http://bikeadvice.in/yamaha-yzf-r15-150cc-review/

Reviewer seems to suggest disappointment at acceleration over 60km/h, but to be expected from a smaller cc engine.

davebullet
27th March 2011, 10:59
What's the top speed with say your "average" 80kg rider?

Thinking of getting a commuter bike to save the Triple.

nudemetalz
28th March 2011, 09:44
They have a one make championship series for the R15 already (I'm guessing in India).

I know in Europe the same is done for the sexy YZF-R125.

if you believe this link - 150kmh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jtNMz8z-ro

Waikato Yamaha
28th March 2011, 11:20

If you put the two bikes side by side you can see why the price is different.
Yamaha are not doing a 250cc variant. The YZF-R125 was used as a stop gap filler to test the market until quality control in India could be liffted high enough for the western markets.

Yamaha say the YZF-R15 will cruise at around 120km.

The R125 bike is much higher quality and you can see that when you compare them, but it's too expensive.

Maki
31st March 2011, 16:32
Nice, but I will keep the R6 :devil2:

JimO
31st March 2011, 17:31
Because the 125 is made in a proper factory, where the R15 is made by 4 year old's chained to benches with their sewerage running through an open drain under their benches which have holes cut in them to facilitate the disposal of human waste.

we need that sort of dedication here in NZ

Waikato Yamaha
1st April 2011, 08:25
Nice, but I will keep the R6 :devil2:

Good plan, can't go wrong with the R6

White trash
1st April 2011, 09:44

I've got a demo on its way Dave, once I've put some kms on it you're more than welcome to borrrow it for a day of commuting to see what you think.

Smifffy
1st April 2011, 22:20
we need that sort of dedication here in NZ

Yup, and luckily we just had some more laws come into effect today that will bring us ever closer to that level of dedication!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::innocent:

jellywrestler
1st April 2011, 22:30
you mean the R15 is made near fukushima?

James Deuce
2nd April 2011, 10:58
you mean the R15 is made near fukushima?
I'm not sure how an accident at a nuclear plant in Japan creates a South East Asian sweatshop populated by child workers but it's your fantasy milieu, fill your boots.

Milts
2nd April 2011, 22:43
Did someone say stock bucket racer?

I might have to wait until a few have been bought and crashed with 'cosmetic damage only'....

jaffaonajappa
9th May 2011, 21:10
Took one of these for a very quick (as in Brief, not speed haha) test ride today - it really is a nice wee bike, looks good, handles Fast but accurately, and soooooo simple to ride. Out accelrated auckland car traffic no worries, seems to sit on ~110 on the motorway easily enough. At just 5k brand new - and so long as its as reliable and tough as its hyped up to be, this makes it a great 2nd / commuter bike to keep them running costs down for home-work-home runs.
$4.00 per litre of petrol by Next years end FFS/!!!

Bought it today, woooot.

tuska
27th May 2011, 21:28
went to bike shop other day to have gander....jumped on r15 for laugh....@ 6ft 6 generally I look like circus clown everything but big traileys. was surprised how much room there is on a r15...petrol prices rocketing and increasing rego costs etc may have everyone looking at these cheap everday bikes!

jaffaonajappa
27th May 2011, 21:59
went to bike shop other day to have gander....jumped on r15 for laugh....@ 6ft 6 generally I look like circus clown everything but big traileys. was surprised how much room there is on a r15...petrol prices rocketing and increasing rego costs etc may have everyone looking at these cheap everday bikes!

Yeah, pretty much.
And......at 6ft 6in your going to find majority of small and/or sports bikes pretty tight.But yes, the R15 is surprisingly comfy = peg/seat/handle positions are cruisy. Really...its just the appearance of the bike that is sporty. And perhaps some of its running gear (frame/suspension?/brakes)

Kendog
27th May 2011, 22:50
Did someone say stock bucket racer?

I might have to wait until a few have been bought and crashed with 'cosmetic damage only'....
I was thinking the same thing.

jaffaonajappa
4th June 2011, 20:41
Enjoying riding the wee 150 still - finally got he tyres scrubbed in hehehh. Still not going over any where Near the edges of them, but thats more due to the profile of them that any problem with the bike itself. Oh, and the riders lack of confidence in the tyre.
While I havent felt the tyres doing anything unexpected - am still aware of the Indian media commenting on them as they do. ie, made of lower quality nylon/rubber, designed to wear slowly /30,000 kms, etc....narrow....etc.
If anyone has an R15 with different tyres, please post here or PM me. Am keen to hear what the difference is like...

Oh yeah.
The R15 has a Quick Review in this months (NZ) Bike Rider magazine :)

KevinD
8th December 2011, 12:45
Looking on the WEB at various sites it appears that the YZF-R15 on offer by Yamaha NZ is the older model, not the updated YZF-R15 version 2.0. I'd be interested if Honda are going to bring in their CBR150R in competition, as it appears they are doing a run out of the CBR125R at present for $4k.

http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/product/r15/index.html