PDA

View Full Version : Playing music from PS3

Elysium
22nd March 2011, 21:06
Well I own myself a flash HD tv, PS3 and theatre system and like to use my PS3 as a music library as it has big 250GB hard drive. Now problem I have is that the music that plays from the PS3 and through my theatre system doesn't sound as loud and bass like. Now if I put a cd into the theatre system itself I get bloody good sound.

The way I got my system set up is HDMI cable from PS3 to TV and Optical cable from PS3 to theatre system. The PS3 only has one HDMI output and theatre system only has two HDMI inputs but both are used so I can watch Blu-Ray/games from PS3 and movies from theatre system. Now would I be wrong in saying I will need to get a reciever system in order to remedy this problem?

Also the theatre system came with an iPod dock but I don't own an iPod so have no idea if it would be better to get an iPod instead and play my music off that.

steve_t
22nd March 2011, 21:14
Sorry to break it to you but the PS3 MP3 playback seems to not have any bass at all. My mate was wondering what was wrong with his system and there was basically nothing coming out of the sub. A music CD in the PS3 sounded normal so I think the PS3's codec is shite

onearmedbandit
22nd March 2011, 22:07
Well I would say there is something wrong. I too use my PS3 as my music library, running HDMI to the TV and optical audio to my Yamaha component HT system, and the bass kicks arse. Of course MP3's sound hollow compared to CD's anyway, so for extra punch I employ the MP3 Music Enhancer mode on the HT, but regardless of whether this is on or not it still pumps out copious bass.

So I disagree that the PS3 can't handle MP3's.

steve_t
22nd March 2011, 22:21
Well I would say there is something wrong. I too use my PS3 as my music library, running HDMI to the TV and optical audio to my Yamaha component HT system, and the bass kicks arse. Of course MP3's sound hollow compared to CD's anyway, so for extra punch I employ the MP3 Music Enhancer mode on the HT, but regardless of whether this is on or not it still pumps out copious bass.

So I disagree that the PS3 can't handle MP3's.

Oh, interesting. I wonder if it's a firmware issue or summat. I might check with my mate on Friday. He'll be stoked to hear it too.
His setup was PS3 - HDMI -> Denon AV Receiver - HDMI -> TV

Or I wonder if it's a setting. I had to change his to allow bitstream output over HDMI of his blu-rays to allow DTS-MA or TrueHD decoding in his receiver

steve_t
22nd March 2011, 22:26
Hmm... I googled the problem and it seems that some AV receivers won't use the sub much if the front speakers are set to "large" instead of "small"
Does changing that work for you Elysium?

gammaguy
23rd March 2011, 04:27
mp3 is CRAP

if you want real music with real bass,record and playback in WAV format,so you get 1100 or so KPBS instead of MP3 which is at best 320KBPS,MP3 is a lossy format,it clips the high and low notes in order to compress data.

Its all in the sample rate mate.

I use my PS3 as a media server and it plays WAV files as PCM and it sounds awesome.

If it uses too much storage space,just hook your PC or external HDD into the media server network.

enjoy

imdying
23rd March 2011, 11:37
Oh, interesting. I wonder if it's a firmware issue or summat. I might check with my mate on Friday. He'll be stoked to hear it too.
His setup was PS3 - HDMI -> Denon AV Receiver - HDMI -> TV

Or I wonder if it's a setting. I had to change his to allow bitstream output over HDMI of his blu-rays to allow DTS-MA or TrueHD decoding in his receiver

I've a Marantz 7005 which probably has the same guts as the Denon. I'll have a fiddle with the large/small setting your speak of (I've seen it in the myriad of options) and see if that sorts it.

imdying
23rd March 2011, 11:38
mp3 is CRAP

if you want real music with real bass,record and playback in WAV format,so you get 1100 or so KPBS instead of MP3 which is at best 320KBPS,MP3 is a lossy format,it clips the high and low notes in order to compress data.FLAC is fine, and better than WAV for library management.

CookMySock
23rd March 2011, 12:38
There will be a few alternate "media center" firmwares available for the PS3, but it sounds more like you have a simpler problem.

There's nothing wrong with MP3 for general audio duties.

Gubb
23rd March 2011, 13:08
Heathens.

Vinyl FTW.

Usarka
23rd March 2011, 14:04
Well I own myself a flash HD tv, PS3 and theatre system and like to use my PS3 as a music library as it has big 250GB hard drive. Now problem I have is that the music that plays from the PS3 and through my theatre system doesn't sound as loud and bass like. Now if I put a cd into the theatre system itself I get bloody good sound.

2c follows.

Is there a difference between playing the CD in the PS3, and playing a ripped copy off the PS3 hard drive?

If not then it aint a "format" or codec issue. Next.

Also try changing sound output to bitstream instead of linear PCM (or vice versa). Bitstream sends an unencoded signal to your home theater receiver, and PCM sends the STEREO signal. Either way though, it's a stereo signal so if you're expecting sound out of a subwoofer you'll need your home theater reciever to do some modelling on it -are you sure there aren't any settings that need a tutu? Check LFE (low frequency effects) or can you use a "surround" mode or similar?

Otherwise it sounds like what the guys are saying, it might be a low frequency management issue on the amp for that channel.

Edit: try link http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/2340201?start=0&tstart=0

FLAC is fine, and better than WAV for library management.
PS3 doesn't do FLAC. If you want lossless you need either WAV or stream from another media center. I use v. high bit rate WMA (boo hiss i can hear it now :lol:) because the WAV had too many issues with tag management (and it's hoooooojer than hooooooj).

george formby
23rd March 2011, 14:22
I doubt this has anything to do with it but......... Playback from my MP3 through my Denon / Polk audio system was pants. Solution, a high end cable. Sound is fantastic now.

steve_t
23rd March 2011, 14:25
I doubt this has anything to do with it but......... Playback from my MP3 through my Denon / Polk audio system was pants. Solution, a high end cable. Sound is fantastic now.

Really? Changing from low qual HDMI to a high quality cable fixed it?

onearmedbandit
23rd March 2011, 14:29
Really? Changing from low qual HDMI to a high quality cable fixed it?

He may not be referring to the quality of the cable, rather the style. For example from RCA to HDMI or optical cable.

Elysium
23rd March 2011, 15:33
Right. I just tried my flatmates iPod and the sound is far better. Obviously there's an issue between the console and theatre system. So easy solution for me is to get an iPod and use that.

Usarka
23rd March 2011, 15:38
Shame cause the PS3 is a good media player. Having said that the ipod option will save you heaps on power bills!

onearmedbandit
23rd March 2011, 16:01
Right. I just tried my flatmates iPod and the sound is far better. Obviously there's an issue between the console and theatre system. So easy solution for me is to get an iPod and use that.

...or the easier and far cheaper method is to check all your PS3 sound settings first, that is assuming you haven't of course.

Elysium
23rd March 2011, 20:50
...or the easier and far cheaper method is to check all your PS3 sound settings first, that is assuming you haven't of course.

Done. No go. iPod it is.

onearmedbandit
23rd March 2011, 21:40
Ghey. Oh well, at least it is resolved, in a way.

Elysium
24th March 2011, 04:37
Ghey. Oh well, at least it is resolved, in a way.

Yeah seems like a lot of pissing around in order to get the best out your hardware.

Usarka
24th March 2011, 05:56
Hmmm what's your home theater system. Probably shit hardware on that side :innocent:

imdying
24th March 2011, 13:34
Right. I just tried my flatmates iPod and the sound is far better. Obviously there's an issue between the console and theatre system. So easy solution for me is to get an iPod and use that.Minta.

Shame cause the PS3 is a good media player. Having said that the ipod option will save you heaps on power bills!Nah, it's shit. Shit library, shit interface, shit visualizer. Never crashes though. Fuck all storage, but as a media player I don't consider that a negative (it's DNLA compatible)

Having said that, OAB uses it every day and is quite happy with it. The alternatives I use have their own problems too I also note.

It's a steady 6/10 from me.

Elysium
24th March 2011, 14:42
Hmmm what's your home theater system. Probably shit hardware on that side :innocent:

The latest Samsung 5.1. This one here. Far as I know the hardware is good quality. I mean I get mint sound when I play Blu-Ray from my PS3 so obviously music is a problem for the PS3.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-C550/XAA

onearmedbandit
24th March 2011, 20:53
The latest Samsung 5.1. This one here. Far as I know the hardware is good quality. I mean I get mint sound when I play Blu-Ray from my PS3 so obviously music is a problem for the PS3.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-C550/XAA

Seriously dude? You're blaming a PS3 for the performance of a $330 entry level home theatre system? You still state that 'music is a problem for the PS3' despite evidence to the contrary. If the PS3 did have an issue like you say, it would be big news and Sony would have addressed it already, as one of it's intended uses is MP3 playback.

Can you post up your PS3's sound settings? It just doesn't make sense, as you say it works fine through an iPod but not the PS3.

imdying
25th March 2011, 08:34
Had a play with my amp, but large and small didn't make the difference we were looking for, so no further forward on that front.

Can confirm that the PS3 (HDMI) and iPod (direct via USB iPod cable into AVR) do not have much of a difference, and nether does the HTPC to AVR over optical. I say much of because there's all sorts of equalizers and crap along the way on the HTPC, which I turned off, but I expect it probably still fiddles with the sound (PS3 was pure direct, iPod as above).

Still prefer CDs myself, but they're a pain in the arse to swap out all the time.

On a HT setup like that (<$1000) I'd probably just crank the base on the equalizer and forget it.

Elysium
26th March 2011, 12:39
Seriously dude? You're blaming a PS3 for the performance of a $330 entry level home theatre system? You still state that 'music is a problem for the PS3' despite evidence to the contrary. If the PS3 did have an issue like you say, it would be big news and Sony would have addressed it already, as one of it's intended uses is MP3 playback.

Can you post up your PS3's sound settings? It just doesn't make sense, as you say it works fine through an iPod but not the PS3.

My connection is via optical from PS3 to theatre. PS3 sound setting are Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, Linear PCM 2 Ch 44.1 kHz and Linear PCM 2Ch 48 kHz as being selected. I have fiddiled around with the setting with out any luck. Music setting are: Output Frequency 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz, Bitmapping off, Dynamic Normalizer off.

Usarka
26th March 2011, 12:57
Couple more possibles:

1. Are you sure the sound on the PS3 set up to use the optical cable?

If you have it set up to use HDMI it could be going to the tv then back to the receiver (assuming you have the tv hooked up to the reciever)..

2. In the home theater, enter settings -> speaker settings. Is front = small, and subwoofer=present?

3. Have you got the latest firmware version?

I think this is the right one:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/HT-C550

Note: I take no responsibility for anything going wrong with firmware updates!

Elysium
26th March 2011, 14:52
3. Have you got the latest firmware version?

I think this is the right one:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/HT-C550

Note: I take no responsibility for anything going wrong with firmware updates!

Fixed!!! I had no idea you had to update software on your theatre system! :facepalm:

steve_t
26th March 2011, 14:55
Fixed!!! I had no idea you had to update software on your theatre system! :facepalm:

Firmware update fixed it?!! Good stuff :woohoo:

onearmedbandit
26th March 2011, 15:04
Nice work, saves you buying an iPod now.

Elysium
26th March 2011, 15:04
Firmware update fixed it?!! Good stuff :woohoo:

Sure did. Used that link Usarka provided. Simply downloaded to usb stick, put stick into theatre system, automaticaly installed itself, reset system, recalibrated the speakers and done. Started up PS3 and had to grab remote and turn volume down because it blasted out!

Usarka
26th March 2011, 15:05
Woohoo! I knew we could crack it. Sound good?

Every thing is technology now, gone are the days of buying a telly and keeping it for half your life. Soon you'll have to patch your fridge monthly and upgrade the microwave every 3 years!

Elysium
26th March 2011, 15:11
Nice work, saves you buying an iPod now.
Nah I will still get one since I have iTunes. Before people ask why I have iTunes and buy their music without an iPod, I got given iTune music vouchers while ago.

Usarka
26th March 2011, 15:23
Convert your itunes music to a really high bit rate mp3 or wma and copy them to the PS3. Or play them directly from your PC using the PS3!

(ps3 doesn't play m4a/aac unfortunately and if you use a low bit rate you risk data loss between formats).

SMOKEU
27th March 2011, 18:55
mp3 is CRAP

Sure, if you're listening to low bitrate MP3s you can expect below average sound quality, but if you have a look around most of the new albums on the torrent sites are at least 256kbps. Most people can't tell the difference between a high quality MP3 and CD quality.

imdying
28th March 2011, 09:53
Nah I will still get one since I have iTunes. Before people ask why I have iTunes and buy their music without an iPod, I got given iTune music vouchers while ago.Same, 3 bloody years in a row from my 'hip' aunt. I give them away rather than having to install iTunes ever again.

/edit: That's a lie, the wife sold one to a friend of her mothers.