PDA

View Full Version : Which petrol station do you use?

Captian soup
22nd March 2011, 22:58
The other day a fella who knows a bit about a thing or two told me that different petrol stations have different effects on a motor, his verdict.. bp & mobil are shite, "filth up engines mate".. both 91 and 95 and the only gasser he recommend was Shell, he said nothing about Caltex or Gull... but it makes me wonder is there anyone else that knows anything about this? or is he a mad man? to me petrol was petrol... but now im curious :sherlock:

ac3_snow
22nd March 2011, 23:12
I'l throw in a vote for, which ever is closest when I hit reserve...

other than that 91 is still 91 (or close enough!) rite?

Shadows
22nd March 2011, 23:32
It all comes out of the same tanker mate.

Gremlin
22nd March 2011, 23:38
The brands do use different additives, and I've found a consumption difference between brands for most bikes.

I avoid Gull completely because of the ethanol blend, and fill with Shell a lot, as I get good consumption.

ac3_snow
22nd March 2011, 23:49
haha just found THIS (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+gas+stations+have+different+gas%3F) handy little feature, may help with your question

EJK
22nd March 2011, 23:53
BP (very) often have/has V drinks on special.

P.S. Is it "BP has" or "BP have"??

jasonu
23rd March 2011, 05:14
Any station where the currymuncher doesn't insist on not letting me fill my own tank. I've had a few tank washes and a couple of paint chips due to monkeys filling my bike.

Berries
23rd March 2011, 06:03
Shell are doing a special for a bottle of V and a Moro bar at the moment, although if I have a choice I will only use Mobil.

Smifffy
23rd March 2011, 06:17
Any station where the currymuncher doesn't insist on not letting me fill my own tank. I've had a few tank washes and a couple of paint chips due to monkeys filling my bike.

You'd be lucky to find a place in NZ now that isn't self-fill, unless it's a small town, and they are having a quiet day.

SPP
23rd March 2011, 06:25

"have" unless you mean one specific station in which case it's "has" ... I think.

The brands do use different additives, and I've found a consumption difference between brands for most bikes.

I avoid Gull completely because of the ethanol blend, and fill with Shell a lot, as I get good consumption.

My bike seems to run best on Challenge-95 and Mobile-97... I thought it was in my head (and still may be)

oneofsix
23rd March 2011, 07:01
I have been lectured on how the different brands have different additives. Story went something like Caltex does clean your engine, but can't remember what BP and Shell were meant to do for you. Theory is that you should rotate through 3 or 4 tanks of each brand to get their benefits, takes a couple of fills from Caltex before you are cleaning your engine.
Personally I use the PnS discount coupons at the PnS station, BP rebranded, and when I don't have those I use Shell for the Fly Buys (yeah I know they aren't worth the effort but if you are paying the same $ why not)

steelestring
23rd March 2011, 07:04
RIMATEX :rockon:

p.dath
23rd March 2011, 07:17
The other day a fella who knows a bit about a thing or two told me that different petrol stations have different effects on a motor, his verdict.. bp & mobil are shite, "filth up engines mate".. both 91 and 95 and the only gasser he recommend was Shell, he said nothing about Caltex or Gull... but it makes me wonder is there anyone else that knows anything about this? or is he a mad man? to me petrol was petrol... but now im curious :sherlock:

There is a single oil refinery in NZ, Marsden Point. All petrol retailers, except Gull, get their petrol from the refinery. However the different companies can put in an additive pack just as the fuel leaves the refinery.

Further, MED regulates the parameters for the fuel. And those parameters are very tight. So even with the additive packs, the variation between the fuels is not great.

So do I think that using fuel from different companies in NZ will "filth up your engine" - no. In fact, because of the MED fuel regulations, I think there will be very little difference between the fuels for the stated RON rating from one fuel wholesaler to another.

HOWEVER, there could be a larger variation in fuel quality based on the individual retailer you buy the fuel from, as opposed to the brand. This is because individual fuel retailers may have storage tanks of varying quality. Some of those tanks may contain more containments than others. Also the RON rating of the fuel is not stable, and decays with time. So a fuel retailer with a high turnover is likely to have fresher fuel (with a better RON rating) that a service station with a slow turnover.

The petrol supply in NZ is pretty good IMHO. So good, that I typically choose the service station base on how close it is to me, rather than the brand.

Fatt Max
23rd March 2011, 07:19
Shell are doing a special for a bottle of V and a Moro bar at the moment, although if I have a choice I will only use Mobil.

Do you get a pie option as well..??

I used to use a small Caltex up the road. The guy that ran it was a top bloke, he would fill the cage and the bike and give me a billy can of gas for my weed eater for free. The amount of 'end of line' choc bars I got out of him as well, explains about, well, 13.75% of my waistline.

He was also a bit of a 'gardener' and I had the pleasure of sampling some of his produce on a number of occaisions.......yyyeeeaaaaaahhhhhh dude.....

He was a Kiwi but spent many years in London so we used to chat about the old country a lot. The place is closed now, shame...(the servo, not London, hope not anyway)

As for petrol, fucked if I know however the dealer did say that BP were the best. Cant answer that myself, I'm too wired on dope and choc bars from the last place.....ding ding ding...so much love in this thread....hey there, how you doing, I'm going tantric for the winter.......ooohhhh.......tree....

caseye
23rd March 2011, 07:25
SHELL makes the engines in all three of our bikes go the best.Mobil gunges everything up and makes em run like hairy arsed dogs.
BP, smells bad and also makes em run rough, don't know the technicalities but thats what I've found over the years.

CookMySock
23rd March 2011, 07:27
Any station where the currymuncher doesn't insist on not letting me fill my own tank. I've had a few tank washes and a couple of paint chips due to monkeys filling my bike.Wow I've never had any attendant even ASK to touch my bike, let alone insist on it.

Generally I use shell but don't really know why. Ideal consumer?

StoneY
23rd March 2011, 07:28
Yeah we use shell where possible - I avoid BP at all costs.

Whynot
23rd March 2011, 07:34
BP have the best pies.
Mobil ones are ok, but a bit overpriced.
Shell/Caltex etc. not too good, but Mrs. Macs Chilli Beef and Cheese is always worth getting.

sunhuntin
23rd March 2011, 07:42
i use shell as much as possible, only using other brands if thats the only option and i need gas. i find the v power lasts quite a while. my local station is always busy, so the fuel must be quite fresh.

used to work at bp, and used their 91/95 and didnt get as much mileage as i do with v power. i tested bp while down south and i got an average of 200k before hitting reserve.
im thinking vpower lasts longer. i can top up in levin, do a day in welly and not have to fill up til i get back to levin, though i will be on reserve by then. i normally stop at kapiti for a top up though, and then again at levin.

pzkpfw
23rd March 2011, 08:06
Only have two choices in Tawa now. Shell is a risk because it's often full and I hate waiting, so it means I have to turn around and go to B.P., so often just go there anyway. Basically it's random. Don't care.

I often hate the B.P. though. All I want is to pay my $20, but I have to wait while the servo guy makes a soy latte double mocha something for the hipster who got in in front of me. (Sell the damn petrol first, bastards, then the coffee.)

Filled up on Ethanol mix from Gull in Napier or Hastings a few Months back.

The bike sang. Loved it. Everything was "crisp". Dunno how to say it, just really liked it.

superman
23rd March 2011, 08:10
V Power gives you the best mileage out of any gas stations gas. Don't know how good it is for the engine though... someone told me it's filled with crap. But if it's got the most mileage, I expect that means it has the most ooomph. :yes:

I always consider gull (they have a station in Botany that is self service only with no store and no staff, so charge 10c per litre cheaper off the bat! They should do this in more places, especially a shell!). But the ethanol sounds... ouchy.

CookMySock
23rd March 2011, 08:18
V Power gives you the best mileage out of any gas stations gas.Any fuel with higher octane rating gives better endurance/range/mileage. I don't think this is a brand thing.

I'll use 91 blipping around locally, but touring I'll get the highest octane fuel I can get so I don't have to dick with refuelling as much.

oneofsix
23rd March 2011, 08:24
Any fuel with higher octane rating gives better endurance/range/mileage. I don't think this is a brand thing.

I'll use 91 blipping around locally, but touring I'll get the highest octane fuel I can get so I don't have to dick with refuelling as much.

Got any stats to back that up. I've been told often that the higher octane should give more ks per litre but everytime I try to keep records of usage it works out I'm just paying more for the same mileage. Never tried the touring comparison though, figure 50ks per commute should have shown a difference if there was one.

superman
23rd March 2011, 08:25
Any fuel with higher octane rating gives better endurance/range/mileage. I don't think this is a brand thing.

I don't understand why though, the octane rating is about how easily it is detonated. So the higher number means it's easier to detonate, so more of the fuel detonates and therefore you get more out of it? Yep that sounds good I'll stick with that till someone tells me otherwise or I can bother researching it. :yes:

marie_speeds
23rd March 2011, 08:27

Excuse my ignorance....but is it ok on your engine to swap gas octanes. Or do I need to double check with manufacturers first?

oneofsix
23rd March 2011, 08:31
Excuse my ignorance....but is it ok on your engine to swap gas octanes. Or do I need to double check with manufacturers first?
check your handbook. Manufacturers usually give you an octane range or at least a minimum octane to use. Mine will run both 91 and 96, think the minimum is something like 89 but as its not one I use i just remember that 91 works.
Also when switching octanes you haven't really switched until your 2nd or third tank, your first tank will be a bit of a mixture.

bogan
23rd March 2011, 08:31

not ideal unless your bike is EFI with an exhaust sensor I think, different octanes fuck with the mix, so you'll run slightly lean, or slightly rich depending on what you change to. Not sure whether this slight change is enough to be a bad thing long term, but the cost difference is so minimal on a bike anyway that I won't be risking it.

marie_speeds
23rd March 2011, 08:33
check your handbook. Manufacturers usually give you an octane range or at least a minimum octane to use. Mine will run both 91 and 96, think the minimum is something like 89 but as its not one I use i just remember that 91 works.
Also when switching octanes you haven't really switched until your 2nd or third tank, your first tank will be a bit of a mixture.

not ideal unless your bike is EFI with an exhaust sensor I think, different octanes fuck with the mix, so you'll run slightly lean, or slightly rich depending on what you change to. Not sure whether this slight change is enough to be a bad thing long term, but the cost difference is so minimal on a bike anyway that I won't be risking it.

Thank you....:sunny:

Timmeh:P
23rd March 2011, 08:38
haha just found THIS (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+gas+stations+have+different+gas%3F) handy little feature, may help with your question

You can thank me later :apint:

----

I use what ever is closest. It all comes from Marsden point anyway, so all basically the same thing.

C.Linnell
23rd March 2011, 08:44

Definitely "BP has". BP is one company. You wouldn't say "John have", so you wouldn't say "BP have".

:yes:

SILVER SUZI
23rd March 2011, 08:54
Tried running the R1 on yacht fuel once. Didn't work! :facepalm: Normally use BP as thety have 98, and it's convienient. Always thought the bike ran better on 98 then on 95. That might all be in my head though................ god knows there's nothing else in there.

Flip
23rd March 2011, 08:56
My bike seems to run a bit wee better on BP 98 but I won't go out of my way to find it. Won't go to imMobil, got 1/4 a tank full of water from Mobil Levin and they (head office) were f**kers about it, had to pay for the bike to be transported back to Wtn and to have the fuel system cleaned.
In most cases the fuel all comes from one tank. In Auckland Caltex and Gull are not party to the Wiri pipe line agreement so have to truck-ship in fuel. In Christchurch all the fuel comes through Mobil because they own the port hills pipeline, who owns what is just a stock keeping exercise. Nozzle operates most of the smaller terminals around the country, so most of the 91-95 is the same stuff.
NZ actually has some quite average (poor) fuel quality standards and there is only one man in the MOC to police the fuel regulations. Most of the imported fuel is very good quality as it is brought "on the water" and meets higher international standards.
One wee hint is Valvemaster is a great fuel system cleaner, it was originally developed and sold as this. It was found almost by accident that it prevented valve seat erosion.
I don’t believe that the stuff Shell stick in does sweet bugger all at the concentrations they add it. It's just marketing hype, its added for point of difference reasons.
Do you know that none of the fuel companies filter their fuel? The dispenser does have a strainer to stop nuts and bolts jamming up the pump and meter, but when you go to the service station you get fuel complete with all the pipe scale, tank rust and dirt that have blown in the fill hatch/dip tube right from the refinery, shipping, terminal, trucking and retail sites. Just think what ends up in the drop hoses when they are left on the side of the tanker. I have a fine gauze filter in the filler in my vintage bike and it is often full of crap after I fill the bike. I believe now days that most of that small dark shit that slowly blocks your fuel filter came in with the fuel. The reason they don’t filter is two fold: They can’t be bothered changing the filters and by putting a filter it might indicate or raise the spectre that the fuel is not clean and out of specification.

p.dath
23rd March 2011, 09:45
Got any stats to back that up. I've been told often that the higher octane should give more ks per litre but everytime I try to keep records of usage it works out I'm just paying more for the same mileage. Never tried the touring comparison though, figure 50ks per commute should have shown a difference if there was one.

I can only speak for my car. It has EFI and a knock sensor, and *can* make use of higher octane fuels.
My fuel economy does improve going from 91 to 98 octane *however* the $/km is higher, because 98 costs so much more. So I choose to use 91, even though the fuel economy is worse, because it costs me less per km to run the car.

You can use a higher octane petrol intended for standard vehicles, just not a lower octane.

Maha
23rd March 2011, 09:54
Shell mainly, only because its at the end of the road.
Gull (we have two within 10 ks of here) are 1c per litre cheaper than Shell/Mobil around here so I will use them when I can. doesnt sound much of a saving but, if they stay 1c cheaper for a year at least, that will be a $250 (of there abouts) saving.

Spearfish
23rd March 2011, 09:59
Now that is over 2.18 I tend to use those supermarket vouchers with up to 25c off up to 100 ltrs.
Get a car load then "jerry can" some for the bikes. Easier with small bikes with small thirsts I guess.

oneofsix
23rd March 2011, 10:01
I can only speak for my car. It has EFI and a knock sensor, and *can* make use of higher octane fuels.
My fuel economy does improve going from 91 to 98 octane *however* the $/km is higher, because 98 costs so much more. So I choose to use 91, even though the fuel economy is worse, because it costs me less per km to run the car.

Fuel economy verses economy of fuel ($) :blink: Still have to fill every 3rd day so better to pay less :yes: Don't need the power advantage if any.

BoristheBiter
23rd March 2011, 10:08
I have found G.A.S. seems to make the bike run better but i get more mileage from shell.
I will not use any others unless there is nothing else available.
Caltex charge you to use visa and i just don't like the others.

I guess its a bit like the Macdonald's/burger king/wendys thing, you pay heaps for a shit product.

Spearfish
23rd March 2011, 10:40
I guess its a bit like the Macdonald's/burger king/wendys thing, you pay heaps for a shit product.

I cant go past a burger fuel "Bastard", If only they sold fuel.......fill up twice a week.......larger girth riding gear need inside a month!!!

Edbear
23rd March 2011, 10:55
More difference between RON rating than brand. I do think Gull 98 Blend is the best I've used. For some reason, even trying to be completely objective, my bike especially, but also the cars, (Pulsar and MX5), seem to definitely have more grunt on it.

Whynot
23rd March 2011, 10:58
I cant go past a burger fuel "Bastard"

Agreed, great burger that one!!

imdying
23rd March 2011, 11:07
he recommend was ShellShell fucked a lot of cars back in the day when they changed their petrol but would never admit to it (read never paid for the damage they did), so you pays your money and takes your chance.

I go wherever is open, doesn't bother or interest me in the slightest (which brand I'm buying).

jasonu
23rd March 2011, 11:12
I often hate the B.P. though. All I want is to pay my $20, but I have to wait while the servo guy makes a soy latte double mocha something for the hipster who got in in front of me. (Sell the damn petrol first, bastards, then the coffee.)

Filled up on Ethanol mix from Gull in Napier or Hastings a few Months back.

WOT, the attendant makes the coffee for you? No self serve coffee counter?
Talk about dark ages...

My pick up has a mileage computer whick I keep a close eye on because I am a total Jew. I have tried all types of gas from different stations and have never noticed any difference in MPG or performance so I buy the cheapest gas in town every time. Arco AMPM (which I think is Mobil) and you can make your own coffee there too!

Clockwork
23rd March 2011, 11:14
Caltex charge you to use visa and i just don't like the others.

Is that across all stations or just by retailer? I stopped using BP when they pulled that stunt, I've often wondered if they still do it. I use Shell these days but then they are the most convenient to my routes.

p.dath
23rd March 2011, 11:20
SHELL makes the engines in all three of our bikes go the best.Mobil gunges everything up and makes em run like hairy arsed dogs.
BP, smells bad and also makes em run rough, don't know the technicalities but thats what I've found over the years.

Any chance it is to do with the retailer you are buying the fuel from, as opposed to the brand of fuel?

I have found G.A.S. seems to make the bike run better but i get more mileage from shell.

BP and G.A.S are related. BP owned stations carry the BP brand. BP franchises not owned by BP are branded G.A.S. Same petrol tanker though.

steve_t
23rd March 2011, 11:26
BP and G.A.S are related. BP owned stations carry the BP brand. BP franchises not owned by BP are branded G.A.S. Same petrol tanker though.

There is an independently owned BP here in Hamiltron on Te Rapa Straight. They're the only one in Hamz I think. And they're the only one that charges the credit card surcharge

imdying
23rd March 2011, 11:28
WOT, the attendant makes the coffee for you? No self serve coffee counter?
Talk about dark ages...BP employ baristas at their Wild Bean stations don't they?

I don't know much about coffee (hate it 100%) but barista made > self serve, no?

Jantar
23rd March 2011, 11:31
This same question came up on Kiwibiker in 2006 just before I bought my first VStrom. So for 30,000 km I kept an exact record of all fuel used by brand, octane rating and usage. On that bike I discovered that Shell Caltex and BP were similar with a slight advantage to Caltex. Mobil gave very poor results. Also that higher octane ratings gave improved fuel consumtion over lower octane ratings. The bike preffered 95, but would run on 91 as long as I didn't lug the engine. Overall consumption was around 15 km/l

So now I'm on my second VStrom I decided to repeat the exercise. Results are totally different. First off, right from Day 1, the newer VStrom showed improved fuel consumption over the earlier one, and it ran much happier on lower octane fuel.

Results so far for 29505 km covered are:

Fuel type ...... km on fuel ....... Av fuel consumption
BP 91 .......... 6575 km .......... 16.5 km/l
BP 98 .......... 962 km .......... 16.0 km/l
Caltex 91 ..... 6063 km .......... 16.9 km/l
Caltex 95 ..... 4878 km .......... 16.5 km/l
Challenge 91 . 2537 km ......... 15.9 km/l
Challenge 95 . 1004 km ......... 15.7 km/l
Mobil 91 ....... 526 km .......... 15.1 km/l
Mobil 95 ....... 854 km .......... 16.8 km/l
Shell 91 ....... 3886 km .......... 17.4 km/l
Shell 95 ....... 2054 km .......... 15.9 km/l
Unknown ..... 180 km ........... 15.0 km/l

Overall ......... 29505 km ........ 16.6 km/l

Mobil doesn't really get a fair test, as I have discount cards for most fuels except Mobil. Challenge is the fuel station between home and work, so is used mostly when commuting and hence shows a lower result on average.

The main result is that my current bike performs best on 91 Octane rather than 95, and that I should stay away from 98 as the extra cost just isn't worth it.

BoristheBiter
23rd March 2011, 11:50
Any chance it is to do with the retailer you are buying the fuel from, as opposed to the brand of fuel?

Guess i will stop using them now as well.

jafar
23rd March 2011, 11:51
[QUOTE=oneofsix;1130018164]check your handbook. Manufacturers usually give you an octane range or at least a minimum octane to use. Mine will run both 91 and 96, think the minimum is something like 89 but as its not one I use i just remember that 91 works. [QUOTE]

Beware, there are two different ratings for fuel, if your handbook is intended for the american market their fuel rating system is different to ours, american 87 is equal to our 91. 89 is close to our 95. :facepalm:

BoristheBiter
23rd March 2011, 11:52
Is that across all stations or just by retailer? I stopped using BP when they pulled that stunt, I've often wondered if they still do it. I use Shell these days but then they are the most convenient to my routes.

across all stations, well the ones around here anyway.

jafar
23rd March 2011, 11:58

The higher octane rating is for higher compression engines, it has bugger all to do with the fuel consumption, higher octane is there to stop the engine 'pinking' @ higher revs.
You will always get better distance per litre on a trip, basically because you are running your engine at a more consistant speed & usually in the higher gears, the higher the gear your in the further the vehicle will go per revolution of the engine. :yes:

Jantar
23rd March 2011, 12:36
Any fuel with higher octane rating gives better endurance/range/mileage. I don't think this is a brand thing......

The data I have presented directly contradicts this statement. Can you present your data to confirm it?

steve_t
23rd March 2011, 12:40
Your bike (any engine) will do the best on what it's tuned for

bogan
23rd March 2011, 12:43
Your bike (any engine) will do the best on what it's tuned for

or depending on the bike/owner, will struggle along under a poor tune no matter what you put in it :lol:

Fatt Max
23rd March 2011, 12:54
BP have the best pies.
Mobil ones are ok, but a bit overpriced.
Shell/Caltex etc. not too good, but Mrs. Macs Chilli Beef and Cheese is always worth getting.

BP it is then....Better Pies....

Eyegasm
23rd March 2011, 13:04
I use the local Caltex, this is because the air system has the correct PSI readout.

38 IS 38, not 35 or 42...

Captian soup
23rd March 2011, 13:32
Hmmm seems to be one of those grey areas then.. guess its in the eye of the beholder, so what most ppl are saying is that good milage = better quality fuel?

and yup nothing beats a BP BC pie, especially when your wet and cold...

Captian soup
23rd March 2011, 13:34

haha smart ass

Whynot
23rd March 2011, 13:57

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fatt Max again."

steve_t
23rd March 2011, 14:09

Did your pie maker arrive yet?

StoneY
23rd March 2011, 15:28
Funny thing with octane ratings - my 02 SS750 I had got like 50km extra range on 95 as opposed to 91 (2 valve 748cc) but the ST4 only got like 10-15 km's extra range when compared and its a 4 valve 916

Our cage does way better on 95 or 98 though, Caldina Turbo, gets 460 kms to a 91 tank and about 570 kms on a 95 tank
Thats a BIG difference and well worth running on the 95 even with the price diff

steve_t
23rd March 2011, 16:17
Funny thing with octane ratings - my 02 SS750 I had got like 50km extra range on 95 as opposed to 91 (2 valve 748cc) but the ST4 only got like 10-15 km's extra range when compared and its a 4 valve 916

Our cage does way better on 95 or 98 though, Caldina Turbo, gets 460 kms to a 91 tank and about 570 kms on a 95 tank
Thats a BIG difference and well worth running on the 95 even with the price diff

Caldina Turbo will be retarding timing due to knock from the lower octane fuel and making less power.

baptist
23rd March 2011, 16:35
Now that is over 2.18 I tend to use those supermarket vouchers with up to 25c off up to 100 ltrs.
Get a car load then "jerry can" some for the bikes. Easier with small bikes with small thirsts I guess.

Exactly what I do, the jerry can fills the bike and the lawn mower, only ever taken the bike into a petrol station twice:yes: I am afraid I am more interested in the discount vouchers than any particular brand. My thinking is kind of "who cares" we get ripped off anyway.

...and yup nothing beats a BP BC pie, especially when your wet and cold...

How about a steaming hot home made Steak and Mushroom pie ready on the table as you walk through the door:woohoo: (I can dream can't I?)

Geeen
23rd March 2011, 16:48
There is an independently owned BP here in Hamiltron on Te Rapa Straight. They're the only one in Hamz I think. And they're the only one that charges the credit card surcharge

If you mean the one next to Hamilton Motorcycles it's gone now. Went past the other day and the tanks were being dug up and shop is closed.

steve_t
23rd March 2011, 16:55
If you mean the one next to Hamilton Motorcycles it's gone now. Went past the other day and the tanks were being dug up and shop is closed.

Really? Doh. I guess there's just no competing with big business :bye:

Stylo
23rd March 2011, 17:08
You can thank me later :apint:

----

I use what ever is closest. It all comes from Marsden point anyway, so all basically the same thing.

The pretty young lady who works at my local Mobil station has breasts bigger than they should be for her little frame so........that's where I fill up and so ends my scientific input to this thread.

:facepalm:

Old Steve
23rd March 2011, 19:06
There's been a fair bit of misinformation in these posts. I worked for Caltex for over 20 years, worked as their Technical Manager in NZ for a year and a bit, represented the company on the team which liaised with Govt and introduced unleaded petrol in NZ, and worked for over 8 years in cCltex's International Technical Center in Sydney (mainly on lubricants, but did some work on fuels). I am a bit biased about Caltex, I like their petrol additive technology. Worked on getting Caltex their BMW approval for their additised petrol, and that's a story and a half. Haven't worked in the industry for nearly 10 years now though.

There's 2 different octanes. Octane is the measure of a fuels resistance to knocking, preigniting. RON and MON, one is Research Octane Number and refers to the fuels resistance to knock under high speed, other is Motor Octane Number and refers to the fuels resistance to knock under low speed high load conditions (such as pulling away from a corner in a higher gear. The NZ fuel specs have a minimum limit for both RON and MOn, there;s usually a 10 number difference, MON is lower. The less difference, the better the fuel is. So 91 has lower limits of 81/91 for MON/RON, 95 has limits of 85/95 MON/RON. There are also limits on the aromatic content, volatiliy, olefin levels, and a whole lot of other factors. American "octane" is RON + MON / 2, so 'standard 91' here is 86 there, 95 here is 90 or 91 there. It's that simple

Auckland is the only area which gets pure Marsden Point petrol through the piupeline. BP, Caltex, Mobil and Shell (or Greenstone actually) are all partners on WOSL, Wiri pipeline terminal. Gull tankers into Auckland from Mt Maunganui I think. A lot of the rest of the petrol used in NZ is imported, usually from Thailand or Singapore. Marsden Pt petrol is VERY good, when Caltex did it's BMW tests in California we had to ship 200 Litre drums of unadditised petrol to San Fransisco for the tests. They landed the day of the earthquake there and went missing for 2 weeks. Was found, additised and the test was run, and BMW rang the additive company asking what new technology they had because the results were the best they'd ever seen - that was largely down to the quality of the Marsden Pt petrol and the additive technology combined.

But the base fuel in any area is completely the same, tanker comes in and fills all the comapny's tanks. It's the additive which makes the difference. Petrol leaves deposits on the back of valves in fuel injected engines, and gums through carburettors. These valve deposits absorb fuel when a rich spray is produced on start up),making starting difficult, then the fuel evaporates out of the deposit when the engine has warmed making the engine run rough. The additive should clean these valve deposits, and clean out carburettor gum. On the BMW test, they weighed the valves before and after running 5,000 miles I think, could have been more. The Caltex valves had no weight gain, absolutely no increase in weight - BMW had never seen anything like it.

Using 95 if your engine only needs 91. I don't believe it helps. If the engine has an electronic management system and knock sensor then it will advance on the higher octane fuel and you may see a small increase of fuel economy but I don't think its worth it. Using Gull, I wouldn't as some polymers used in fuel systems might not be compatible with ethanol. I just use Caltex Techron 91 in GLORIA (though there are some on this forum who think Hyosungs would run on pig urine - they won't by the way).

bsasuper
23rd March 2011, 19:14
Caltex does clean your engine, my car ran on nothing else for the last five years, had to do a head gasket change, and the inlet valves were like brand new.

I run the bike on caltex or shell (96 octane) and have found shell runs the best.

Wannabiker
23rd March 2011, 19:19
I try and stay away from Ethanol blended gas. There has been some cases in the states where the plastic fuel tanks on Multistradas (02-08, not the new model) have expanded and jammed between the frame members. The thought is that the ethanol blend has reacted with the plastic tank, causing it to expand.

Captian soup
23rd March 2011, 20:09
@ old steve
THANKS thats a really clear and knowledgeable answer..

Hopeful Bastard
23rd March 2011, 20:26
How about a steaming hot home made Steak and Mushroom pie ready on the table as you walk through the door:woohoo: (I can dream can't I?)

Easy... Turn up at Fatt Max's door step.. He sure would have one ready... Or about to be taken out of the oven ;)

Anyhow... I fill with BP as I have an AA card. Unless the price has just gone up and somewhere else is still at a cheaper rate.

As much as everyone bleats on about how bad the AA are... I have needed them over the last 3 years.. (Locked keys in car and no spare key as out of town) Key snapped in Ignition Barrel at a Petrol Station in Palmerston North and seeing as I am not the current insurer of my car and it only has 3rd Party, I have needed someone who I wont be paying hundreds of dollars to on a weekend, After hours!

FruitLooPs
23rd March 2011, 20:38
I don't understand why though, the octane rating is about how easily it is detonated. So the higher number means it's easier to detonate, so more of the fuel detonates and therefore you get more out of it? Yep that sounds good I'll stick with that till someone tells me otherwise or I can bother researching it. :yes:

Actually the higher the octane the more resistant to igniting and the slower burning the fuel is. 91 octane is more explosive/lower flashpoint than 95/98 under identical conditions (temp/pressure etc). The comparatively slower burning flamefront on higher octane fuel helps when ignition occurs by controlling the rate of combustion inside the cylinder, good in high compression or turbo engines under boost. :yes:

Wannabiker
23rd March 2011, 21:02
Actually the higher the octane the more resistant to igniting and the slower burning the fuel is. 91 octane is more explosive/lower flashpoint than 95/98 under identical conditions (temp/pressure etc). The comparatively slower burning flamefront on higher octane fuel helps when ignition occurs by controlling the rate of combustion inside the cylinder, good in high compression or turbo engines under boost. :yes:

Correct...10 points:yes:

Berries
23rd March 2011, 21:05
The pretty young lady who works at my local Mobil station has breasts bigger than they should be for her little frame so........that's where I fill up and so ends my scientific input to this thread.
S'funny. That's why I shop at the local Countdown store instead of New World.

Shadows
23rd March 2011, 21:48
Because my bike has such shitty fuel range I use which ever retailer means I don't find myself crawling through the desert to a fuel oasis crying "petrol... petrol...".
This means I stop at about every second petrol station.

Gremlin
24th March 2011, 01:56
Because my bike has such shitty fuel range I use which ever retailer means I don't find myself crawling through the desert to a fuel oasis crying "petrol... petrol...".
This means I stop at about every second petrol station.
:laugh: On the opposite end, if I ride at a respectable pace, I can go from Auckland to Wellington non-stop. It was incredibly peaceful filling in Kaikoura knowing I was able to get to Dunedin without issue during the aftermath of the earthquake.

Only problem is getting back on normal range bikes... gas is constantly on your mind. Or filling with 34-36L and looking at the cost. :blink:

jasonu
24th March 2011, 05:23
There's been a fair bit of misinformation in these posts. I worked for Caltex for over 20 years, worked as their Technical Manager in NZ for a year and a bit, represented the company on the team which liaised with Govt and introduced unleaded petrol in NZ, and worked for over 8 years in cCltex's International Technical Center in Sydney (mainly on lubricants, but did some work on fuels). I am a bit biased about Caltex, I like their petrol additive technology. Worked on getting Caltex their BMW approval for their additised petrol, and that's a story and a half. Haven't worked in the industry for nearly 10 years now though.

There's 2 different octanes. Octane is the measure of a fuels resistance to knocking, preigniting. RON and MON, one is Research Octane Number and refers to the fuels resistance to knock under high speed, other is Motor Octane Number and refers to the fuels resistance to knock under low speed high load conditions (such as pulling away from a corner in a higher gear. The NZ fuel specs have a minimum limit for both RON and MOn, there;s usually a 10 number difference, MON is lower. The less difference, the better the fuel is. So 91 has lower limits of 81/91 for MON/RON, 95 has limits of 85/95 MON/RON. There are also limits on the aromatic content, volatiliy, olefin levels, and a whole lot of other factors. American "octane" is RON + MON / 2, so 'standard 91' here is 86 there, 95 here is 90 or 91 there. It's that simple

Auckland is the only area which gets pure Marsden Point petrol through the piupeline. BP, Caltex, Mobil and Shell (or Greenstone actually) are all partners on WOSL, Wiri pipeline terminal. Gull tankers into Auckland from Mt Maunganui I think. A lot of the rest of the petrol used in NZ is imported, usually from Thailand or Singapore. Marsden Pt petrol is VERY good, when Caltex did it's BMW tests in California we had to ship 200 Litre drums of unadditised petrol to San Fransisco for the tests. They landed the day of the earthquake there and went missing for 2 weeks. Was found, additised and the test was run, and BMW rang the additive company asking what new technology they had because the results were the best they'd ever seen - that was largely down to the quality of the Marsden Pt petrol and the additive technology combined.

But the base fuel in any area is completely the same, tanker comes in and fills all the comapny's tanks. It's the additive which makes the difference. Petrol leaves deposits on the back of valves in fuel injected engines, and gums through carburettors. These valve deposits absorb fuel when a rich spray is produced on start up),making starting difficult, then the fuel evaporates out of the deposit when the engine has warmed making the engine run rough. The additive should clean these valve deposits, and clean out carburettor gum. On the BMW test, they weighed the valves before and after running 5,000 miles I think, could have been more. The Caltex valves had no weight gain, absolutely no increase in weight - BMW had never seen anything like it.

Using 95 if your engine only needs 91. I don't believe it helps. If the engine has an electronic management system and knock sensor then it will advance on the higher octane fuel and you may see a small increase of fuel economy but I don't think its worth it. Using Gull, I wouldn't as some polymers used in fuel systems might not be compatible with ethanol. I just use Caltex Techron 91 in GLORIA (though there are some on this forum who think Hyosungs would run on pig urine - they won't by the way).

Very nice information!!!!!

jasonu
24th March 2011, 05:25
Key snapped in Ignition Barrel at a Petrol Station in Palmerston North

How the hell did that happen?

jafar
24th March 2011, 06:51
:laugh: On the opposite end, if I ride at a respectable pace, I can go from Auckland to Wellington non-stop. It was incredibly peaceful filling in Kaikoura knowing I was able to get to Dunedin without issue during the aftermath of the earthquake.

Only problem is getting back on normal range bikes... gas is constantly on your mind. Or filling with 34-36L and looking at the cost. :blink:

Your claiming in excess of 32k per litre from a 900 hornet???:gob:
Auckland to Wellington = 650k
Hornet tank = 20 litres (assuming a standard honda tank)

I find that a little hard to believe:spanking:

The Everlasting
24th March 2011, 06:53
I use BP Ultimate 98 for the car,and Shell V-Power for the bike.

Quasievil
24th March 2011, 06:57
I Use Mobil cause its free:love:

nallac
24th March 2011, 07:12
Your claiming in excess of 32k per litre from a 900 hornet???:gob:
Auckland to Wellington = 650k
Hornet tank = 20 litres (assuming a standard honda tank)

Hes got a slightly road surface modded GSA BMW now....or did have.....

jafar
24th March 2011, 14:55

Thats a bit more like it. :drinkup:

Gremlin
24th March 2011, 15:37
Yes, as nallac says, I also have a 2010 R1200 GSA. My hand isn't nearly that gentle to get that consumption from a hornet 900 :laugh: The BMW is rated for a 33L tank, I get more like 35-36L into it. :woohoo:

Still have... its just ur... hiding from me, at the dealer... They reckon its a repair, just waiting for insurance to give the tick to the piece of paper. Oh, and its field surface modded, thank you very much.

StoneY
24th March 2011, 15:57
Caldina Turbo will be retarding timing due to knock from the lower octane fuel and making less power.

Ah, I see. I always thought it was to do with the low compression pistons used in most Turbos and a higher gas expansion from the higher octane.... but I am not a mechanic or scientist of course

But...don't most Turbo Engines have lower compression to allow for more use of the turbo pressure without busting gaskets???

I'm confused (not a hard state to achieve either)
:drinkup:

jasonu
24th March 2011, 16:18
[QUOTE=Gremlin;1130019405]The BMW is rated for a 33L tank, I get more like 35-36L into it. :woohoo:

Or so the petrol pump meter says...
Maybe a word to the weights and measurements people is in order.

Smifffy
24th March 2011, 19:59
[QUOTE=Gremlin;1130019405]The BMW is rated for a 33L tank, I get more like 35-36L into it. :woohoo:

I'd say the 33L will be because of some highly technical BMW boffin specification about the amount of headspace above the fuel for one reason or another, and Gremlin tops it up to the brim.

davebullet
24th March 2011, 21:44
Shell 95 so I can use my cuntdown vouchers and save a piddly 4c per litre.

I need a diesel / bio-fuel conversion kit for speedy

Hopeful Bastard
24th March 2011, 23:22
How the hell did that happen?

Fuck knows... I thought it snapped in the door as i locked it..... Turns out it was actually in the barrel as i turned the car off :facepalm:

Gremlin
24th March 2011, 23:42
The pump is Ok, when I compare mileage to consumption, both on paper and the bike's calcs.

I'd say the 33L will be because of some highly technical BMW boffin specification about the amount of headspace above the fuel for one reason or another, and Gremlin tops it up to the brim.
You stalking me or something? :shit: Correct, I fill on the centre stand, to the max, and never leave the bike standing for a length of time, or overnight, to prevent overflow, or damaging the tank. It only takes half an hour to remove a couple of litres...

jafar
25th March 2011, 13:22
The pump is Ok, when I compare mileage to consumption, both on paper and the bike's calcs.

You stalking me or something? :shit: Correct, I fill on the centre stand, to the max, and never leave the bike standing for a length of time, or overnight, to prevent overflow, or damaging the tank. It only takes half an hour to remove a couple of litres...

So an average of 19 k per litre wouldn't be far off the mark for you then ???

Gremlin
25th March 2011, 19:57
So an average of 19 k per litre wouldn't be far off the mark for you then ???
Depends how I ride it... I mainly work in L/100km, as that's how the bike works, 20k per litre is obviously 5L/100km.

Best I have had, with luggage on board, was about 4.6L/100km, until a steady head wind for several hundred km killed that, and I settled at 4.8-4.9L/100km. I will admit to following a GN250 however. They are excellent for fuel economy :innocent: The following day, I did 4.7L/100km, mostly in raining windy conditions.

Turn up the pace, with luggage on, and consumption soars, easily passing 6L/100km. During this fun part of riding, I asked a ZX14 if I was holding him up, and he asked if I was joking... he had twice the hp, but my pace was most satisfactory to him.

Generally, mid 5's is normal, if sticking to the limit, otherwise, high 5's.