PDA

View Full Version : 50cc too gutless for me to feel safe

rocketman1
23rd March 2011, 18:25
Was thinking of buying a 50cc scooter to get to work.
After riding one I felt that I didnt feel as safe on it as I do on my larger bikes.
This is probably only as I had not go used to cars and buses passing me in a 50kmhr zone as I couldn't do much more than 50kmhr myself, less going up hill.
I feel much better going at the speed the local traffic goes, irrespective of the fact it may be exceeding the speed limit.
The point I am making is that I think the government should UP the exemptions that 50cc scooters get to about 80cc models, this slightly larger bike would allow most scooter riders to keep up with traffic, and not have to put up with all the dangerous antics the current 50cc brigade have to put up with, ie ducking and diving in and out of parked cars and GETTING PUSHED OUT THE WAY AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS.
Whats your thoughts scooterboys and girls shall I give the Minister of Transport a call.

FJRider
23rd March 2011, 18:43
I had a scooter .... years ago ...

I called it the fungus ... it kinda grows on you ...

Bring on the scooter jokes ... :scooter:

argada
23rd March 2011, 21:34
I ride around on a 50cc loan scooter when I get my bike serviced and I do feel uneasy :scooter:. Very annoying to always have someone right on my tail, it sure adds a lot to the work load.

I find myself riding on the far left of lanes a lot,... seems like the considerate thing to do, fair enough since the scooter is having problem maintaining 50 on a hill. But that does mean at times I'm not in the best position to be seen, so in that sense it increases the danger.

On the plus side, my bike feels like a rocket for the first 10 minutes after getting it back :yes:.

But which exemptions were you referring to? Can be ridden on a car license?
I believe some form of basic handling course is essential though... and if people are prepared to do that then they would have the learner license and can get any size scooters they want.

rocketman1
24th March 2011, 19:38
I ride around on a 50cc loan scooter when I get my bike serviced and I do feel uneasy :scooter:. Very annoying to always have someone right on my tail, it sure adds a lot to the work load.
But which exemptions were you referring to? Can be ridden on a car license?
I believe some form of basic handling course is essential though... and if people are prepared to do that then they would have the learner license and can get any size scooters they want.

I am mainly referring to the ability to use a car license to ride a scooter (moped) 80cc and under.
OK if we need to have some training scheme that is compulsory for scooter riders, that can not be a bad thing, Im not talking motor scooter licence, im talking one saturday morning a mc training school. A level 1 scooter certificate or something, I think this would assist all new scooter riders to be better safer riders and with slightly cheaper licence fees on 70cc -80cc bikes it would be better for all.

The Everlasting
24th March 2011, 20:12
Yeah I agree,I also felt unsafe when I had a scooter..

FJRider
24th March 2011, 21:32
I am mainly referring to the ability to use a car license to ride a scooter (moped) 80cc and under.
OK if we need to have some training scheme that is compulsory for scooter riders, that can not be a bad thing, Im not talking motor scooter licence, im talking one saturday morning a mc training school. A level 1 scooter certificate or something, I think this would assist all new scooter riders to be better safer riders and with slightly cheaper licence fees on 70cc -80cc bikes it would be better for all.

You have it wrong ... NO ability is needed ... :no:

JUST a car licence ..... :yes:

and refrain from intelligent suggestions ... this is is KB .. :yes:

Cayman911
24th March 2011, 22:07
That's because you didnt have the proper scooter riding gear. which includes a t shirt, short shorts , hairy legs and jandals.

C.Linnell
25th March 2011, 10:33
That's because you didnt have the proper scooter riding gear. which includes a t shirt, short shorts , hairy legs and jandals.

Or a suit and tie with high-top Chucks and designer stubble.

Badjelly
25th March 2011, 11:04
The point I am making is that I think the government should UP the exemptions that 50cc scooters get to about 80cc models, this slightly larger bike would allow most scooter riders to keep up with traffic, and not have to put up with all the dangerous antics the current 50cc brigade have to put up with, ie ducking and diving in and out of parked cars and GETTING PUSHED OUT THE WAY AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

Or get rid of the exemption.

What was the justification for it, again?

steelphoenix
25th March 2011, 11:08

Or get rid of the exemption.

What was the justification for it, again?

Either of these work, in my opinion. Both would increase scooter safety by friggin' miles - what with the fact that driving a car and riding a scooter/bike/two-wheeled vehicle are totally different skillsets...(Also, srs bzns - what was the justification for the exemption? I'd be interested in knowing the actual reason.)

I'm not sure that upping the scooter exemption to 80cc would make a lot of difference; however, I do see your point with being able to keep up with traffic. I'd certainly ask if the question has been raised before.

HappyGOriding
26th March 2011, 18:29
Was thinking of buying a 50cc scooter to get to work.
After riding one I felt that I didnt feel as safe on it as I do on my larger bikes.
This is probably only as I had not go used to cars and buses passing me in a 50kmhr zone as I couldn't do much more than 50kmhr myself, less going up hill.
I feel much better going at the speed the local traffic goes, irrespective of the fact it may be exceeding the speed limit.
Whats your thoughts scooterboys and girls shall I give the Minister of Transport a call.

First of all if you're gonna buy a scooter make sure its a two stroke ( I suspect it was a four stroke you were on) lots more peep. Brought the missus one a couple of years back and even though the speedo only goes up to 60kmh the needle goes past that.

Secondly it doen't matter what you're on own the road/lane you're on thats the first thing I taught the missus once she was riding round the streets. Scooters have to pay road users charges aka rego too, so why shouldn't you use the entire lane

Sable
26th March 2011, 21:33
Big bore kits are very easy to come by, grasshopper.

geoffm
27th March 2011, 08:47
I ride 50 to work most days, as it is flat and 10km, and the smaller size of the scoot (and cheap cost) isless than running the big bikes in.
First thing is do the illegal thing and turn it into a motorcycle (by law) by de-restricting it. Some are better than others - my Keeway is impossible, the Hyosung I had before involved removing the black wire from the CDI, which let it get to 60-65. a bigger main jet would have helped get it higher.
Generally, get a 2 stroke rather than a 4 stroke
One thing they should do is allow mopeds to have a top speed of 60 rather than 50 (in reality 45) so they can be sold de-restricted.

specter
27th March 2011, 08:49
you have a bike license don't you?
upgrade

HenryDorsetCase
27th March 2011, 21:01
I'm a very late convert to scooters, having bought my first about a month or so ago. Might be two months. Whatever.

I agree entirely: 50cc is too gutless to be safe. And I dont see any need to have an exemption either. My view is that you should have to have a full motorcycle licence, THEN be allowed to ride a scooter.

My AN125 which i bought just as proof of concept, to see if I liked it, is surprisingly nippy, but when I replace it, I will likely get something 150- 200-250cc.

But in terms of practicality, fun, and fitness for purpose, they're fantastic.

avgas
27th March 2011, 21:31
I had a scooter .... years ago ...

I called it the fungus ... it kinda grows on you ...
I agree on the above quote.

I hated them until I had to ride one for 3 months. They actually aren't that bad once your used to them. I felt perfectly safe after about 1 week on it.

Kinda weird as I felt the same when I rode my first 1L took me about 1 week to feel safe.

FJRider
27th March 2011, 21:39
I agree on the above quote.

I hated them until I had to ride one for 3 months. They actually aren't that bad once your used to them. I felt perfectly safe after about 1 week on it.

Kinda weird as I felt the same when I rode my first 1L took me about 1 week to feel safe.

Scooters are either full noise, or full brakes ... anything else and you live in fear ...

SMOKEU
27th March 2011, 21:56
I don't really like scooters because the small wheel size makes me feel quite unsafe. I had a low speed (walking pace) bin on a scooter once because the front wheel let go on a gravel driveway. I've never had that happen to me on a motorbike.

FJRider
27th March 2011, 22:09
I don't really like scooters because the small wheel size makes me feel quite unsafe. I had a low speed (walking pace) bin on a scooter once because the front wheel let go on a gravel driveway. I've never had that happen to me on a motorbike.

You're only young ... I've had that happen on the FJ :blink:...

FJRider
27th March 2011, 22:21

In the case of female riders ... a (short) skirt is required ... hand bag optional ...

HenryDorsetCase
28th March 2011, 08:04
In the case of female riders ... a (short) skirt is required ... hand bag optional ...

and an ill-fitting half face helmet kind of tipped back on the head so those big insect sunglasses can fit over their faces.

allycatz
28th March 2011, 09:07
I have a 50cc scooter and due to shoulder injury havent been riding it for a while, but yes I hate being a sitting duck on the side of the road where you end up feeling obliged to ride even though one is entitled to own ones place behind another vehicle. Plus, more vulnerable to painted lines and parked cars. Here in Kapiti the local council is running regular confidence courses for scooter riders. I'm about to enrol in one to get confidence back then its back to my plans to get a bigger scooter. I've found the more Ive been pillion riding lately, the worse it feels getting back on the scooter.....back of busa to 50cc Honda is quite a contrast lol

Skinon
28th March 2011, 13:36
Just get one of these :blink:

65.5 horsepower. should do over 50kmh!

been_there
28th March 2011, 13:39
I consider the XJ650 i ride to work a scooter :facepalm:

The Pastor
28th March 2011, 14:18
sounds like the pussy whipped boys in this thread need to grow a pair and man up.

HenryDorsetCase
28th March 2011, 15:31
sounds like the pussy whipped boys in this thread need to grow a pair and man up.
fuckwit fuckwit fuckwit

rabidnz
29th March 2011, 08:22
50cc is plenty for anybody to navigate around town and destroy traffic queues with. I do agree that in a twist and go scooter form with 12" wheels it is unsafe especially in the hands of cagers who dont really know how to look out for themselves on two wheels! My gas gas 50 does an easy 90kms now and is still factory apart from sprockets and 21mm carb. 50cc manual road bikes come up rather rarely and usually go for much more than you would expect, for these exact reasons. Oh plus 180$ regos and no warrants. I like them because i feel like kevin schwantz riding the pipe yet im not going fast enough to cause extreme damage or lose my license . That and the 3 bucks of gas a week (was 2 the bastards!:P)

pritch
30th March 2011, 21:41
The little lovelies that used to ride their mopeds around Oriental Bay in a bikini didn't have hairy legs. They may have had stubble, or not, but you couldn't see... :whistle:

MarkH
1st April 2011, 14:48
Whats your thoughts scooterboys and girls

50cc is indeed shit! An AN125 brand new is fuck all dearer than an AN50 new - I would recommend someone wanting to commute cheaply should buy a 125 and then they will be fine in 50, 60, 70 & 80 KPH limit areas, keeping up with traffic and not having to ride on the left.

For those with only a car license - get your 6L.
For those with a 6 License - no probs, just get a reasonable sized scooter.

I wouldn't ride a 50cc in Auckland for the same reason I wouldn't ride a treadly - I feel safer when I can keep up with the flow of traffic.

Bonez
1st April 2011, 21:02
My '72 C50 could do 80kph what's the f'n problem?

Spearfish
1st April 2011, 21:53
at least 10 characters.