PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to Albany Police ACC checkpoint

Gman71
23rd March 2011, 21:32
You may remember the Albany police/ACC checkpoint a few weeks ago, which I and others went through, there was plenty of comment...

(here in case you missed it http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/135188-Albany-ACC-check-point-(27-February)?highlight=albany)

well today a package arrived from ACC, I remember something about maybe winning some safety gear if I participated in the survey....I got all excited!

Well I'm not sure if I won, but here's what I got in 'care package' from ACC

The 'Ride Forever' DVD (the one with 3 bikers including MOD passing judgement)
Brochure on gear
4 Brochures on various safety tips and info(visibilty, grop riding, gear (again), "back to riding?" )
ACC what to eat / drink to keep your energy up (no mention of Speights)
a really quite fucking condescending brochure entitled "Chasing the dream"- a guide for the returning bikers over 30
discount voucher for rider training (yay, useful)
and..
wait for it...is this my 'safety gear'?
a fucking fluro vest- the same thing I told they guy at the checkpoint that I wasnt wearing cos I dont believe they will save my arse (amongst numerous other reasons: show me the proof

they help, why not train drivers better, etc)

Now look, I try not to be a knocker, they are trying.....and there might be some good stuff in there, especially if you are a total moron, or are a SQUID.

but there must be some more constructive stuff than this stuff. surely?

but FFS dont send me a fluro vest. send a driving 101 for morons to every asian driver in Auckland, and make them sit a practical test in NZ, or re-train that stupid bitch on the northern motorway who insisted on deliberatly holding up 2 bikes at exactly 100kph in the fast lane for several kms and refusing to move over- SHE fucking saw me, and still did nothing- no fluro vest! (and stop suggesting I buy bright colured clothing a) i like black b) have you looked at the colour options in your local bike shop recently) c) try training road users to look for bikes!

rant over. :blink:

sorry if you are the ACC marketing dept reading this, but note to self: must try harder, how about talking to those clowns in cars?

YellowDog
23rd March 2011, 21:38
The package you received appears to have been highly successful in utilising as much budget as possible.

I hate those vests too.

ac3_snow
23rd March 2011, 23:17
hmm each rider gets a $40 "ride safe' pack, sounds like good value for a $200 levy hike :blink:

Mom
24th March 2011, 05:27
I wonder what safety iniatives this MSL fund will come up with, lets hope not more of the same. I wont wear fluro either it clashes with my eyes!

Berries
24th March 2011, 05:55
sorry if you are the ACC marketing dept reading this, but note to self: must try harder, how about talking to those clowns in cars?
Or even talking to those clowns on bikes, rather than coming up with all this money wasting crap themselves.

I'd put it all in a bag and take it back with a note telling them why you thin it is a load of crock.

Usarka
24th March 2011, 06:00
Return to sender.

CookMySock
24th March 2011, 06:29
They might at least add to the 6F test the ability to swerve using the bars.. Why the fuck is that missing from the 6F test when it kills so many? :facepalm:

They aren't interested in safety. They are interested in ramping up the kings' income.

Old Steve
24th March 2011, 19:40
... a fucking fluro vest- the same thing I told they guy at the checkpoint that I wasnt wearing cos I dont believe they will save my arse (amongst numerous other reasons: show me the proof

I wear a fluoro vest, and by the time I got to the Hamilton Toy Ride the ACC only had small ones left. If it's 2XL (OK, OK, it has to go over my jacket) then mail it to me.

Rhys
24th March 2011, 20:01
at least you are getting something for you exorbitant REGO fees :shutup:

swbarnett
24th March 2011, 21:24
a) i like black
Definately with you on that one.

I'm taking delivery of an ALL black Katana tomorrow. Now the ONLY thing about me that's not black is my helmet - Black bike, boots, over trou, jacket and gloves. And I flatly refuse to wear a hi-vis. Wether they make it a requirement or not!

Headbanger
24th March 2011, 21:33
Exactly why my motorcycle is unregistered.

Devil
24th March 2011, 21:34
I'm taking delivery of an ALL black Katana tomorrow.
Dont steal my park! :innocent:

Gman71
24th March 2011, 21:36
I wear a fluoro vest, and by the time I got to the Hamilton Toy Ride the ACC only had small ones left. If it's 2XL (OK, OK, it has to go over my jacket) then mail it to me.

happy to, but if you already have one, why do you need another one?

mailing address?

steve_t
24th March 2011, 21:38
Sell your free vest on trademe (if it doesn't fit Old Steve) :yes:

Gman71
24th March 2011, 21:39

oops sorry- just checked. it's only an XL.

ukusa
24th March 2011, 22:04
remember when all the talk about banning cellphones in cars, other countries were doing it, but for years several governments here rejected that notion, but eventually it came round.
Dropping the alcohol limit to 50mg from the current 80mg. Again we looked to copy other countries. John Key decided to wait on a study, but it will come eventually.

Fluro vests? I give it 8 - 10 years before they make them compulsory. Free vests is only the first step. I can see more protest rides in the future (the moon man predicts them as well, 20 March 2016 :killingme )
ACC = ASS

swbarnett
24th March 2011, 22:22
I can see more protest rides in the future
The highest concentration of vest wearing seems to be on protest rides. Even if it's only used as a plackard.

Oh, the irony.

KiWiP
24th March 2011, 22:24
Definately with you on that one.

I'm taking delivery of an ALL black Katana tomorrow. Now the ONLY thing about me that's not black is my helmet - Black bike, boots, over trou, jacket and gloves. And I flatly refuse to wear a hi-vis. Wether they make it a requirement or not!

No, no, no. I also ride a black Katana on the north shore and wear all black! We will just look silly if we're on the same road at the same time. One of us will have to wear a fluoro jacket so we don't clash and it's not going to be me :bleh:

Squiggles
24th March 2011, 22:27
discount voucher for rider training (yay, useful)

You can use these at Ride Right Ride Safe iirc ($50 off a $60 course)