PDA

View Full Version : Dead 50cc motor wanted

ManDownUnder
7th December 2003, 11:02
I'm looking for a small motor to cut up and show my little boy how they work

I figure I'll section it and set it up with a hand crank etc - see the valves, pistons etc doing their thing...

Anyone out there got a dead one they were going to biff?

You can't start teaching them too young!
MDU

Timber020
7th December 2003, 12:36
My advice would be to get a broke chainsaw to show him, real simple, small, light and easy to take apart

Redstar
7th December 2003, 20:26
Know how you feel I have three boys and want a dead motor too
I wonder if the breakers have them?
Mind you the way i'm riding i'll have a dead 400 soon:D

Redstar
7th December 2003, 20:37
ps,
I am seriously looking at an RF900 for my retirement bike.
tell me all the negative points like stops when wet notchey 2nd gear. dodgy water pump seal at 43k what do you say??

ManDownUnder
8th December 2003, 08:20
I think you've covered off most of the issues... the only things I know about are:

!) Notchy 2nd gear change
2) They don't like sitting in the wet (Water sits around the plugs and they can miss and sneeze till they warm up...!)
3) The 2nd gear sprocket hardening process was not as good as it needed to be and traditionally the 2nd gear sprocket needs replacement at about 30,000 kms.

Other than that - yes, I like it. It has quite nice handling, parts are easy to source, plenty of horses and is a nice quiet, tidy bike.

Be aware I don't push my bike like a number is here do so I am not qualified to comment on race track performance...
MDU

ManDownUnder
8th December 2003, 08:21
Originally posted by Timber020
My advice would be to get a broke chainsaw to show him, real simple, small, light and easy to take apart

Good point - and if I should get one that is fixable, it already has a clutch... just waiting for the final drive chain to be attached :2thumbsup

Cheers
MDU

riffer
8th December 2003, 10:29
In the meantime, until you find one...

try this link. Has a great deal of info on how engines work (and cool animations):

http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

ManDownUnder
8th December 2003, 10:34
I like it - cheers
MDU