PDA

View Full Version : NZ roads - poor condition, but much roadworks

rdkls
26th March 2011, 12:22
I've wondered for a while, why in my completely subjective observations, it seems NZ roads are often in poor condition, yet there are lots of roadworks (in comparison to Melbourne); would expect lots of roadworks = good roads.
Is seal/work done to a lower standard but more frequently? I'm sure someone in the biz might know.
(otoh my observations may just be completely incorrect)

Bald Eagle
26th March 2011, 12:27
I agree with your observation, lots of road works but I believe the standard applied has more to do with $$$ than quality.
I would describe our highways as a lot of potholes loosely connected with asphalt. :rofl:

rdkls
26th March 2011, 12:28
A Facebook friend says that poor-quality tar from an oil refinery is used?
(I'm not sure as opposed to what)

rdkls
26th March 2011, 12:33
This was a good post (from australian road worker) about the process
http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=78871

Winston001
26th March 2011, 13:06
I think we have discussed this before but can't find the thread.

My understanding is our roads are very good compared to our resources. New Zealand is a long narrow mountainous country which makes forming roads difficult. We do not have much hard rock and plenty of soft soils and clay. Plus plenty of water which is the main threat to any road.

Over and above that, there are only 4 million of us to find the money required.

My experience of roads in Oz shows they have similar problems with country roads only having a one lane strip of bitumen in the middle. Fair enough, its a huge country.

Metastable
26th March 2011, 15:47
Actually I found your roads to be very good! Come to Canada and see what BAD roads are really like..... if you want particularly bad, check out Quebec. Seriously, you guys have it pretty good.... it may not seem like it, but you do. Check out the article and the picture that goes along with it.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posteddriving/archive/2009/04/03/top-5-tips-to-live-through-pothole-season.aspx

One time in Quebec, we were going at a good clip and we hit this section of road that went from asphalt to gravel to asphalt. The gravel section was about 8 meters long. Thing is there were no warning signs or anything else and even though it was on a straight section of road the colour blended in, to the point that in the distance it just looked like a patch of lighter coloured asphalt. THANK GOD it wasn't in the middle of a corner!!!!!

cheshirecat
26th March 2011, 17:49
From the Ausie link earlier " . . .then left for the traffic to do its job of rolling it in further before it is swept clean"

I wondered where these habits came from. Only came across it here. Should be swept off. 'elf and safety etc

There's been a habit here (welly) of resurficing as per then the surface brakes up within a year (the bays for eg)
Thinks - WCC can save here instead of Bike parking fees and rates increase plus that stupid tsuami blue line at $10,000 for two of them. And they say they are short of money - oops getting carried away here.

varminter
26th March 2011, 19:07
It's all done with treacle and hokey pokey pieces. Trouble is, it's low melting point treacle. Look on the bright side, it won't melt again until next spring.

cbfb
29th March 2011, 14:43
The good thing about this country is there's usually people working on the roadworks.

In the UK (where I'm from) you normally have to do 30 so you don't run over any cones - cause there's never anyone working. Very frustrating.

The bad thing about this country is that they use the loosest shit they can find to pave the roads (or just leave gravel all over the place). The streets where I live are slippy even at low speed. Taking a bit of getting used too.

Toaster
29th March 2011, 14:58
I would go to work in the morning if they would only put my bloody road back!

If they were Chinese workers they would have built a dual lane carriageway to Wellsford by the time it takes these muppets to resurface these various patches along SH16 and Peak Road.

Fancy taking breaks to eat and sleep.....

Some Aussies mentioned to me that they thought our roads were far better condition than theirs. I said I guess when your roads are 5 feet underwater, then ours would be.

cheshirecat
29th March 2011, 15:16
We need these guys (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/quake-rips-apart-japanese-road-japanese-repair-it-in-6-days-33345.html)

martybabe
29th March 2011, 15:36
I think the roads are awful here, surely it must be possible to repair them properly and have them last longer and be safer. Even financially, good quality surface vs laying down more treacle and rice crispies every three months.

Of all the roads I use in Taranaki I can only think of one decent section of Tarmac, about 1.5k long going up Mount messenger heading north. The other side is the usual gravely crap.
There was an article in the local rag where the road men were saying how proud they were of that section of road so I guess you cant blame them, they're just told what to do and given crap to do it with.

MSTRS
29th March 2011, 15:57
Crap surfaces are just part of the rich experience that is motorcycling. It's just one more thing to be vigilant about.
What annoys the fuck out of me is the habit of road crews spreading cones everywhere and 30kph signs when there is nothing there. If they have to prepare days/weeks before actually doing any work, at least leave the signs lying down. :angry:

Ocean1
29th March 2011, 16:10
What annoys the fuck out of me is the habit of road crews spreading cones everywhere and 30kph signs when there is nothing there.

There's 30kph signs south of Paraparaumu where they chipsealed a couple of hundred metres of the main road.

They're using traffic to roll the chips in over a week or two rather than use the fucking big rubber tyred rollers designed for the job and then sweeping it clear.

I'm tempted to invoice the fuckers for stone chips in my paint. Arseholes.

There's cops lurking there with radars I see too. Obviously concerned about the possibility of tar spots on me bike.

FJRider
29th March 2011, 16:20
Depends on what sort of quality of "road" you're used to/like/expect ... :sunny:

If smooth wide asphalt everywhere is what you want ... go somewhere where they have it. LARGE citys usually have plenty ... :yes:

Those that believe they have the "right" to travel at 100 km's/hr (plus) in all open road zones ... :blink: ... sad news folks ... it ain't gunna happen.... :shutup:

Those that travel (well) above the posted speed limit ... and then moan the roads are crap/dangerous ... :whocares:

Some roads ARE better than others ... on both islands ... in ALL countries ... :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

If your arguement for better roads, is on the issue of safety ... :facepalm:

SLOW DOWN ... you WILL feel much safer ... I assure you ... :innocent:

\m/
29th March 2011, 20:15
Crap surfaces are just part of the rich experience that is motorcycling. It's just one more thing to be vigilant about.
What annoys the fuck out of me is the habit of road crews spreading cones everywhere and 30kph signs when there is nothing there. If they have to prepare days/weeks before actually doing any work, at least leave the signs lying down. :angry:
It's even worse when the fuckers do the roadworks without putting signs out.