PDA

View Full Version : Dialing in Suspension.

2_SL0
25th June 2005, 13:41
Ive done this before on dirtbikes, and found I was able to make a improvement to the feeling of the bike.
Ive done some measuring and found I have Riders Sag at 47mm and Static sag at 20mm. So Iwas thinking of dialing in some preload. Maybe get those figure down by 10mm. What do people think? Many people here dial in their suspension to their weight?

TonyB
25th June 2005, 14:13
Take a look at this Ohlins owners manual (http://www.ohlins.com/pdf/07241-02.pdf) You may find it useful. They say the sag should be:

Without Rider
Rear- 5-10mm
Front- 25-30mm

With Rider
Rear- 30-40mm
Front- 35-48mm

TwoSeven
25th June 2005, 14:37
You should be dialing it in to your weight. An how much sag you prefer depends on how plush a ride you like at whatever your average speed is.

bugjuice
25th June 2005, 15:24
the nice thing about these bikes, is you can play easily as much as you want, when you want.. I had a play when I took mine round Taupo track, was almost maxed hard. I've dialed it down to half way at the moment, I think I might make it a touch softer again.. Stats and rules don't always say what's best. Sometimes it's down to good ol' riding to get the best set up

Brian d marge
26th June 2005, 19:19
For MX as well as Road

1 ,, Get the correct spring rate for you,,,dependin on what you do the most two up or solo ,,ie the most comonly used wieght

2 ( or should be 1) ALL linkages working , greased etc

3 set the sag ,,,( the sag, unladen and laden ) will tell you if your spring is to soft/hard...

The clickers only adjust low ( shaft ) speeds ( my opinion here you want these as plush as possible to let the spring /damper do the work with out putting to much energy into the oil ,,as it will fade quicker )

Adding preload stores energy in the spring which when allowed to realease will give its energy out ,,ie it will feel like its kicking up on the rebound ,,,so you add more rebound ,,,which is just masking the prob

You cant hide from the problem ( as I am on my MX bike ) and if it has a stock spring ,,,4kg/mm eg ..you have to cut about 3 coils to get it close to fat bastard settings 5.4 kg/mm ,,,so ( I have to ) pony up for the correct spring,,,,,:argh:

Stephen

2_SL0
26th June 2005, 19:47
Ive dialed in the rear, the bike seems even better, so Im a very happy camper.

Pixie
9th July 2005, 10:55
Ive done this before on dirtbikes, and found I was able to make a improvement to the feeling of the bike.
Ive done some measuring and found I have Riders Sag at 47mm and Static sag at 20mm. So Iwas thinking of dialing in some preload. Maybe get those figure down by 10mm. What do people think? Many people here dial in their suspension to their weight?
I don't hold with the terms rider sag and static sag the bike is static both times,unless you are trying to measure it while it's moving.
I use the terms; unladen and bin laden
Unladen is self explanatory
Bin laden is because a load has bin put on the bike.