PDA

View Full Version : Are AA starting to get the point?

oneofsix
30th March 2011, 07:08
Opened the Autumn edition of directions last night and read the speil from the chef. Surprise surprise only a 3rd of the accidents are caused by those classed as our most dangerous drivers. btw dangerous drivers includes anyone who has had a speeding ticket as well as drunks, so going 5 k over the limit is as bad as being 3x the limit :weird:, but that's not AAs fault. It seems 2/3s of the accidents are caused by things like drivers not looking were they are going ... umm now where have I heard complaints about drivers not looking before?:facepalm:

The Direction mag also had a review of 2 GPS units for bikers. :gob: Perhaps they are starting to realise they have something to learn from bikers and they should include them - nah just fantasizing. When they start the new bike price comparison thing they do for cars I might believe.

Voltaire
30th March 2011, 07:33
I'm a member but told them not to send me Directions mag as it never gets opened and goes straight into the recycle bin....along with their stupid opinions. Every time fuel goes up they trot out the same crap on the TV.... Check your tyre pressures....go easy on the throttle.......keep your engine tuned.....every time.
Still must be what the majority of their members want....:innocent:
( only in it for the Missus when she get a flat or the like.... I've never used them)

ac3_snow
30th March 2011, 13:26
I wonder how they work out the speeding ticket thing, I got a few when I was slightly younger and dumber (still young and dumb but like to think I'v improved at least a little) but when im 30 or 40 am i still going to be classified as a 'dangerous driver' by their books?
Shit if I could go that long without meeting police men I would be more than happy :Police:
(touch wood!:blank:)

slofox
30th March 2011, 13:52
I'm a member but told them not to send me Directions mag as it never gets opened and goes straight into the recycle bin....along with their stupid opinions. Every time fuel goes up they trot out the same crap on the TV.... Check your tyre pressures....go easy on the throttle.......keep your engine tuned.....every time.
Still must be what the majority of their members want....:innocent:
( only in it for the Missus when she get a flat or the like.... I've never used them)

I keep my copy of Directions in the dunny...y'never know when y'might need....do ya?

Usarka
30th March 2011, 14:01
I keep my copy of Directions in the dunny...

Is that in case you get a "flat"? :lol:

Voltaire
30th March 2011, 19:48
I keep my copy of Directions in the dunny...y'never know when y'might need....do ya?

A different sort of Association....:innocent:

paper is a bit shiny and smooth....Herald is much more suited to the task.

DangerMice
30th March 2011, 20:08
I work in the AA head office building in Auckland (not for the AA) and I quite often see a little orange scooter parked in the President's carpark, so I guess there's always hope.... :yes:

JimO
30th March 2011, 20:11
its become a incontinent womans travel mag

steelphoenix
30th March 2011, 20:11
Well... I work for them. And considering that an increasing number of staff are also bikie-types (looking at pretty bikes seems to infect people, surprise surprise), and have sent through complaints and suggestions in regards bikes, it may help. In particular, I sent through a strongly-worded email when I discovered that they a) didn't cover 6L or 6R riders, and b) didn't cover a number of different bike makes.

One hopes it made a difference, but this is the corporate world... *shrug*

steve_t
30th March 2011, 20:22
Well... I work for them. And considering that an increasing number of staff are also bikie-types (looking at pretty bikes seems to infect people, surprise surprise), and have sent through complaints and suggestions in regards bikes, it may help. In particular, I sent through a strongly-worded email when I discovered that they a) didn't cover 6L or 6R riders, and b) didn't cover a number of different bike makes.

Ah, so it's you making changes from the inside :niceone:

Smifffy
30th March 2011, 20:47

Exactly right, the AA is no longer an association of automobile enthusiasts, it has become a corporate.

An ingenious device for obtaining profit without individual responsibility.

slofox
31st March 2011, 10:45

Hehehe. True.

What I really meant was, "you never know when you might need...READING MATERIAL..:whistle:

oneofsix
31st March 2011, 10:53

"pretty bikes"? one wonders if the credit shouldn't be to steelphoenix herself? :shutup:

I don't normally read the directions but with AA getting a representative on the MSAL thought it would pay to check what they were writing in the mag.
interestingly they seem to have reconsidered the usefulness of the old pro-drive courses, pity they are no-longer run. :blink:

Swoop
31st March 2011, 11:39
interestingly they seem to have reconsidered the usefulness of the old pro-drive courses, pity they are no-longer run. :blink:
Perhaps the concept of actually training someone to drive intelligently has come back to visit them?

The aa have become just another insurance company that puts out a travel magazine and claims to "test" drivers to get their licence... if they didn't already bribe the examiner to get a passing grade.

I thought the Directions magazine was a stannah stairlift marketing tool.:facepalm:

baptist
31st March 2011, 18:24
Hehehe. True.

What I really meant was, "you never know when you might need...READING MATERIAL..:whistle:

:laugh::laugh: Really? then what are you doing with that mag?:innocent:

JimO
31st March 2011, 19:31
years when i were a lad ago my dad was a aa member and i used to look forward to getting the magazine for a good car related read, nowdays its like the travel bullshit suppliments that fall out of saturdays paper and usually it goes straight in the bin

Smifffy
31st March 2011, 19:39
years when i were a lad ago my dad was a aa member and i used to look forward to getting the magazine for a good car related read, nowdays its like the travel bullshit suppliments that fall out of saturdays paper and usually it goes straight in the bin

It did more to convince me to quit my AA membership in my early days of driving than anything else.

No doubt significant improvements have been made to "the format" these days. "In order to make it more accessible to wider audience". More fluff, guff and drivel for the masses.

Rhys
31st March 2011, 19:47
It did more to convince me to quit my AA membership in my early days of driving than anything else.

No doubt significant improvements have been made to "the format" these days. "In order to make it more accessible to wider audience". More fluff, guff and drivel for the masses.

funny one of the main reasons I cancelled our membership as well

slofox
1st April 2011, 04:38
:laugh::laugh: Really? then what are you doing with that mag?:innocent:

Anything that bores you shitless must be good dunny reading...:yes:

oneofsix
1st April 2011, 06:35
Anything that bores you shitless must be good dunny reading...:yes:

As both effects, it also bores the shit out of you. Gettiong the shit out of you aint bad when you are sitting on the dunny :yes:

jim.cox
1st April 2011, 06:55
The AA sux

I too ditched them when they became a marketing organisation rather than a motorist one.

Its quite alarming the amount of junk mail I received from them, and from thoise they sold my address to :angry:

I wish the media would not keep going to them fpor comment - I dont think they speak for motorists any more, let alone motorcyclists

oneofsix
1st April 2011, 07:05
I wish the media would not keep going to them fpor comment - I dont think they speak for motorists any more, let alone motorcyclists

who else is there? We are now getting people speaking for motorcyclists as a result of the bikehoi but otherwise there is only the AA.

I still use them and no longer worry about how many times I call them out. Real funny watching the face of the roadside assistance guy when you ask him to jump start the bike :yes: The local garage guy that stand in for them after hours Kapiti has no problem but the Wellington guy was total put off. Fricken always on headlights meaning crash starting doesn't fricken work.

Smifffy
1st April 2011, 07:18
Without seeing recent numbers I'd wager that AA members would be in the minority of overall motorists.

In NZ it's always the minorities with the most to say and the greatest influence.

:msn-wink:

oneofsix
1st April 2011, 07:35
Without seeing recent numbers I'd wager that AA members would be in the minority of overall motorists.

In NZ it's always the minorities with the most to say and the greatest influence.

:msn-wink:

in NZ, everywhere and anywhere. It's one of those life facts. And to go a stage further most of the AA members wont agree with the opinions expressed by the minority that are vocal within the AA. And still there is no one else :crybaby: but even if there were you would get both quoted. NZ public, me included, are lame when it comes to getting off our collective arses to express our opinion, its like the crowd thing where everyone stands around watching the drowning person and calling for someone (else) to save them.

rastuscat
1st April 2011, 10:13
It seems 2/3s of the accidents are caused by things like drivers not looking were they are going ... umm now where have I heard complaints about drivers not looking before?:facepalm:

The Direction mag also had a review of 2 GPS units for bikers. :gob: Perhaps they are starting to realise they have something to learn from bikers and they should include them - nah just fantasizing.

You're fantasizing.

I agree about the 2/3s issue, but as to the Tom Tom review, they clearly haven't actually reviewed it. They've just pinched someone elses incorrect review. My Rider II is powered by the bike. They say it is purely powered by the internal battery.

Good on them for mentioning motorcycles I suppose, but I'll start to take them seriously when they start to take us seriously. :violin:

oneofsix
1st April 2011, 10:26
You're fantasizing.

I agree about the 2/3s issue, but as to the Tom Tom review, they clearly haven't actually reviewed it. They've just pinched someone elses incorrect review. My Rider II is powered by the bike. They say it is purely powered by the internal battery.

Good on them for mentioning motorcycles I suppose, but I'll start to take them seriously when they start to take us seriously. :violin:

I am hoping this is a first small step in the right direction for Directions (couldn't resist the word play) rather than fantasizing. I'll stay realistic in that one small nod in our direction doesn't mean a lot but with them having a representative on the MSAL I do hope and the mag is a public indication in how they think.

BTW glad to hear the Tom Tom is bike powered, I did wonder about it relying on internal battery for the bike but having a car adapter.

baptist
1st April 2011, 16:05
Quiety, without fanfare and behind the scenes AA does heaps of very good and valuable work helping a lot of people to get sorted ......oh wait :doh::facepalm: sorry wrong AA this lot are money grabbing tree rats... bit like another crowd that start with A and love bikes:innocent:

oldrider
1st April 2011, 16:22

Good, tell them to get rid of that Tony Noone (anti bike) turkey and I might even get insured by them! :mellow:

idb
1st April 2011, 16:25

Be careful of the staples!