PDA

View Full Version : Scooters finally ATGATT push it push it.

Tink
30th March 2011, 07:29
http://scootersurvival.co.nz/whats-up/news/safety-campaign/

And on that note, are their ACC Levies as high as a motorbikes under 650?

Waikato Yamaha
30th March 2011, 07:52
They sure are.
Unless they are 60cc or less.

Tink
30th March 2011, 10:00
They sure are.
Unless they are 60cc or less.

Maybe they should be higher if the person is not wearing gloves or jacket etc... that goes for all bikes, like a excess if your full geared and have an accident, you pay NO excess, if your not ATGATT you pay a excess to ACC. Rather than put the ACC premium up, sadly I don't tink high viz should be compulsary, but jacket, and gloves should be. :)

Also it would push sales in shops to get these people wearing the right gear.

marie_speeds
30th March 2011, 10:04
I go to Uni twice a week for a lecture and to touch base with my supervisor....unfortunately most of the scooter riders I have seen there regardless of CC rating are generally in shorts and jandals :blink:

oneofsix
30th March 2011, 10:08
Maybe they should be higher if the person is not wearing gloves or jacket etc... that goes for all bikes, like a excess if your full geared and have an accident, you pay NO excess, if your not ATGATT you pay a excess to ACC. Rather than put the ACC premium up, sadly I don't tink high viz should be compulsary, but jacket, and gloves should be. :)

Also it would push sales in shops to get these people wearing the right gear.

understand your sentiments but ACC is meant to be a 'no fault' system, however risk does alter the amount of the levies. Risk is the argument used to charge forestry companies more than accountants.

I think shops have enough push to get these people in the right gear however the main reason a lot of these people are riding scooters is for cheap transport so aren't interested.

Scooters need to be seen as motorcycles, the day of the velocipede has long gone so having these things covered by laws designed around motor assisted bicycles is stupid.

DangerMice
30th March 2011, 11:55
When I first looked at those videos, they were pushing full face helmets, then showed the presenters whizzing about in open face helmets. :facepalm:

Tink
30th March 2011, 12:06
When I first looked at those videos, they were pushing full face helmets, then showed the presenters whizzing about in open face helmets. :facepalm:

Nothing ever surprises me these days... the fact "yes" cheaper to ride a motorbike, but only if you do it safely. And we all know what safety is... when I came off a bike in April 2009, I decided there is no way in hell I would ever where a open faced helmet, my friends vizor was practically history, he would not have a face today if it wasn't for his full helmet. Crazy crazy:facepalm:

slofox
30th March 2011, 12:09
"... ACC understands that scooters are about freedom and convenience."

Really? No shit?

WTF do they think BIKES are about then?

Maha
30th March 2011, 13:06

Really? No shit?

Freedom and inconvenience....to other road users and the almight tax payer dollar.

Usarka
30th March 2011, 13:09
Full body armour for cyclists too.

slofox
30th March 2011, 13:23
Full body armour for cyclists too.

We should wrap everyone up in cotton wool and stick them into glass cases. No, hang on, glass might cut someone...PERSPEX cases...

Or we could stop anyone ever being born. THAT would stop the injuries...(the planet would probably quite like that too come to think of it...)

Katman
30th March 2011, 13:26
We should wrap everyone up in cotton wool and stick them into glass cases. No, hang on, glass might cut someone...PERSPEX cases...

Or we could stop anyone ever being born. THAT would stop the injuries...(the planet would probably quite like that too come to think of it...)

Or (and here's an idea right out of left field)........

.......everyone could start using their brains a little more.

slofox
30th March 2011, 13:28

Brains? Wot dem?

Tink
30th March 2011, 13:55

Brains? Wot dem?

LOL I get it...ban the fun police?

Brains are certainly lacking in the world today.... read an article British Superbike mag today... the dude was riding his bike in pitlane...leaving noise testing, and managed to come off... no lid... no gear. Two broken femurs, etc etc may never ride again etc etc. Editors note: there ar e clearly a few lessons others can learn form your monumental misfortune - lessons that we don't need to spell out.

The dude was riding at 25mph!!!!!!

DMNTD
30th March 2011, 14:10
Brains are certainly lacking in the world today.... read an article British Superbike mag today... the dude was riding his bike in pitlane...leaving noise testing, and managed to come off... no lid... no gear. Two broken femurs, etc etc may never ride again etc etc. Editors note: there are clearly a few lessons others can learn form your monumental misfortune - lessons that we don't need to spell out.

The dude was riding at 25mph!!!!!!

I broken all my ribs on my left side into 19? peices,punctured lung,broken shoulder plus other "minor" injuries when I failed to read a truck that didn't give way to me on a round about...at about 25kmph. I was wearing full motorcycle safety gear and can only imagine what mess I would have been if I had not.

Sadly some people still think that because you're 'only' doing 50kmph or similar, that it won't hurt :facepalm:

matdaymon
30th March 2011, 14:15
Sadly some people still think that because you're 'only' doing 50kmph or similar, that it won't hurt :facepalm:
THIS, is what needs to be drummed into some of the scooter bunch. My little way of telling them it hurts involves reminding them how much a skinned knee or stubbed toe hurt in primary then to add that to the majority of your body when you bail at 50. Some still don't get it :facepalm:

baptist
30th March 2011, 18:23

Really? No shit?

My thoughts as well reading that article, so scooters for freedom and bikes for what? ACC charging misery? Muppets.:facepalm:

Freedom and inconvenience....to other road users and the almight tax payer dollar.

Mopeds sure are...

I have a friend who got side swiped on his moped, wearing a good jacket but only shorts and jandals! his top half was fine, his legs....oooh different matter. He hit the road doing about 20kmh. 50kmh would really hurts.

Tink
30th March 2011, 18:36
I broken all my ribs on my left side into 19? peices,punctured lung,broken shoulder plus other "minor" injuries when I failed to read a truck that didn't give way to me on a round about...at about 25kmph. I was wearing full motorcycle safety gear and can only imagine what mess I would have been if I had not.

Bugger, the dude in the article was pretty close to that... 1 years recovery if that. Speed is then not a factor when your on a bike... safety immeasurable.

THIS, is what needs to be drummed into some of the scooter bunch. :facepalm: I would say a big fat key... that if the scooter can't feel a certain amount of kg's on bike, it won't start...

My thoughts as well reading that article, so scooters for freedom and bikes for what? ACC charging misery? Muppets.:facepalm:

Mopeds sure are...

I have a friend who got side swiped on his moped, wearing a good jacket but only shorts and jandals! his top half was fine, his legs....oooh different matter. He hit the road doing about 20kmh. 50kmh would really hurts.

Good One ... and does the story continue, does he still ride, if so does he ATGATT?

baptist
30th March 2011, 22:29
Good One ... and does the story continue, does he still ride, if so does he ATGATT?

He rides, and no he does not ATGATT, he still rides in shorts...:facepalm:

JimO
31st March 2011, 06:48

i was talking to a guy who was thinking about getting a scooter and wouldnt need all that safty crap cos he would only be doing 30 to 50k on it, i told him to run down the road at 30 ks and dive on it see what happens

Spearfish
31st March 2011, 06:55
I guess filtering in shorts and T over the Auck harbour bridge is ok on a bike but not on a scoot?

DangerMice
31st March 2011, 07:20
I guess filtering in shorts and T over the Auck harbour bridge is ok on a bike but not on a scoot?

My thoughts exactly, everyone bangs on about scooters, and yes there is some truth to it. BUT, during the last 2 weeks on my 20km commute I've been counting and so far, bikes are winning 13 - 4 in the "riding in shorts" competition.

Spearfish
31st March 2011, 09:53
Is a full face lid, neck brace and back protector part of ATGATT?

DougB
31st March 2011, 20:39
I see as many bike riders in shorts and without gloves as scooter riders why are you all picking on the small guys?

scracha
31st March 2011, 20:44
I see as many bike riders in shorts and without gloves as scooter riders why are you all picking on the small guys?
Cos that's what small guys are for.

I saw one scoot rider (and not a young squid either) in town today riding with an unfastened open faced lid. How stupid is that? Don't they get any training?