PDA

View Full Version : High beam. WTF?

DR650gary
30th March 2011, 17:47
Trailered my new bike home yesterday from Tauranga.... TDM90 Woo Hoo, and got passed a couple of times by three blokes on cruisers. Got passed three time by them as they kept stopping to rest. Two of the three had their lights on high beam. Very annoying having a high beam boring into your eyes via the rearview mirror.

As riders, we often criticise car drivers for their stupidity, but it's a two way street. High beam or low beam will make no difference to a dumbass blind driver, but high beam in the eyes may piss off a potentially supportive car driver.

It certainly pissed me off.

Mom
30th March 2011, 17:54

Yepper, it is a big time piss off. There is a member here though that will tell you it is perfectly ok to blind riders/drivers in front of him, makes him more visible apparently. Why you need to be that visible to the traffic ahead of you is confusing to me. I am usually looking to see what they are doing, and really try not to piss them off as I approach.

bogan
30th March 2011, 17:57
you gotta wonder, if there were three of them, and two had high beams, how do they not get pissed off by it also? I know what you mean though, it's brighter to those who see it, but I wouldn't be surprised if those who miss low beams miss highs as well.

Toaster
30th March 2011, 18:33
I noticed that some dealers always flick their demo bikes onto high beam.

My guess is people assume it makes them more visible. It may do, but yes full beam from any vehicle is hard on the eyes.

Using headlights in a manner that causes others to be dazzeled is an offence. Not that some of the minority bikers on this site would care about anyone but themselves.

I figure ride how you would appreciate others to ride.

The regulation to help those not sure about the rules:
Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 (SR 2004/427) (as at 11 December 2009)

8.3 Use of motor vehicle lighting equipment on road

(1) A person must not use vehicle lighting equipment in such a way that it dazzles, confuses, or distracts so as to endanger the safety of other road users.

(2) If a vehicle's headlamps are in use, a driver must dip those headlamps—

(a) whenever they would be likely to interfere adversely with the vision of another driver in motion on a road; or

(b) when approaching an intersection or other place where the traffic is or appears to be under the control of an enforcement officer; or

(c) when the vehicle is parked.
(3) A driver, during the hours of darkness, must use the vehicle's headlamp or headlamps.

(4) A driver during the hours of darkness must use the vehicle's position lamp or lamps.

(5) This subclause applies to the driver of a moped or motorcycle manufactured on or after 1 January 1980. The driver other than during the hours of darkness must use the moped's or motorcycle's headlamps or, if fitted, the moped's or motorcycle's daytime running lamps.

Compare: SR 1976/227 r 37(2), (6), (8), (10) (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/link.aspx?id=DLM51093#DLM51093)
Clause 8.3(5): added, on 1 November 2009, by clause 30 (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/link.aspx?id=DLM2257001#DLM2257001) of the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule 2009 (SR 2009/253).

DR650gary
30th March 2011, 18:36
you gotta wonder, if there were three of them, and two had high beams, how do they not get pissed off by it also? I know what you mean though, it's brighter to those who see it, but I wouldn't be surprised if those who miss low beams miss highs as well.

Not judging, and they may be members here, but my wife and I who are both long time riders thought that their traffic sense was a little underdeveloped.

Readjust that wording to a style that suits you.:innocent:

The lead rider kept cutting back in behind traffic midway through a traffic line passing manoeuvre and the pillocks being lead like sheep, rather than picking their own gaps, often had nowhere to go and had to push in so they weren't too far behind.

I am no saint, but pushing in front of cars, especially when a seconds planning would avoid it, is a little dumb.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Blackshear
30th March 2011, 18:37
I see enough cagers flipping up their rear at my slightly high low beam.
Slightly high meaning the angle at which my lens directs the beam is missing an adjustment screw of some kind, high would just point above their heads ah ha. :love:

Toaster
30th March 2011, 18:44
I also noticed when riding sportsbikes with firm suspension on country roads, that the headlight would vibrate alot more than my car and that also, although dipped, was an annoyance as it effectively lifted the beam into the eyes of oncoming vehicles. Not much one can do to prevent that though!

Anyone else notice that?

Tink
30th March 2011, 18:44
Trailered my new bike home yesterday from Tauranga.... TDM90 Woo Hoo, and got passed a couple of times by three blokes on cruisers. Got passed three time by them as they kept stopping to rest. Two of the three had their lights on high beam. Very annoying having a high beam boring into your eyes via the rearview mirror.

As riders, we often criticise car drivers for their stupidity, but it's a two way street. High beam or low beam will make no difference to a dumbass blind driver, but high beam in the eyes may piss off a potentially supportive car driver.

I don't often ride at night, early morning alone yes, but came home following one night late form Nasty's and partner said my bike looked like the high beam was on the whole time I was behind him. Well in fact prob was high, but not on high beam.... I had the bike lowered and the suspension worked... BUT forgot to adjust the light. Not saying that is the case, more than likely not... but even the cars following me where irritating my vision ahead... who knows.. But I am getting my head light looked at.

Toaster
30th March 2011, 18:47
Yepper, it is a big time piss off. There is a member here though that will tell you it is perfectly ok to blind riders/drivers in front of him.

Don't you just love team players?!

Pussy
30th March 2011, 18:50
It's bloody irritating.
Just another way of making all motorcyclists look like selfish arrogant twats.

Mom
30th March 2011, 18:51
It's bloody irritating.
Just another way of making all motorcyclists look like selfish arrogant twats.

Hey, I resemble that comment :shutup:

Mom
30th March 2011, 18:52
But I am getting my head light looked at.

Good thinking Tink! And wise head too :yes:

pzkpfw
30th March 2011, 18:56

I second this motion.

(Especially when an "adventure" (dual purpose) bike is close behind you, in busy traffic, so it's fairly high off the ground headlight is right in your freaking mirror for freaking ages. Grrrr.)

Tink
30th March 2011, 18:58
Good thinking Tink! And wise head too :yes:

lol thanks... soooo you guys around this weekend...???

Mom
30th March 2011, 19:04
lol thanks... soooo you guys around this weekend...???

Picking my bike up Saturday morning -ish. Despite all the social offers available, I am thinking I will probably head out to "play" on my new wheels. I will spend many hours commuting up and down the motorway, I dont feel any desire to do that on my first day out on her.

That takes care of Saturday, Sunday, maybe head to Mangawhai for lunch :yes: Want to come along?

Tink
30th March 2011, 19:08
Picking my bike up Saturday morning -ish. Despite all the social offers available, I am thinking I will probably head out to "play" on my new wheels. I will spend many hours commuting up and down the motorway, I dont feel any desire to do that on my first day out on her.

That takes care of Saturday, Sunday, maybe head to Mangawhai for lunch :yes: Want to come along?

All good... heading up that way maybe at Easter with kids for a visit with friends... having a bbq here on saturday avo.. with a few extra's. (ps invite only lol, u are invited)... new bike coooool... what are you getting?

FJRider
30th March 2011, 19:09
I noticed that some dealers always flick their demo bikes onto high beam.

My guess is people assume it makes them more visible. It may do, but yes full beam from any vehicle is hard on the eyes.

Using headlights in a manner that causes others to be dazzeled is an offence. Not that some of the minority bikers on this site would care about anyone but themselves.

I figure ride how you would appreciate others to ride.

The regulation to help those not sure about the rules:
Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 (SR 2004/427) (as at 11 December 2009)

8.3 Use of motor vehicle lighting equipment on road

(1) A person must not use vehicle lighting equipment in such a way that it dazzles, confuses, or distracts so as to endanger the safety of other road users.

(2) If a vehicle's headlamps are in use, a driver must dip those headlamps—

(a) whenever they would be likely to interfere adversely with the vision of another driver in motion on a road; or

(b) when approaching an intersection or other place where the traffic is or appears to be under the control of an enforcement officer; or

(c) when the vehicle is parked.
(3) A driver, during the hours of darkness, must use the vehicle's headlamp or headlamps.

(4) A driver during the hours of darkness must use the vehicle's position lamp or lamps.

(5) This subclause applies to the driver of a moped or motorcycle manufactured on or after 1 January 1980. The driver other than during the hours of darkness must use the moped's or motorcycle's headlamps or, if fitted, the moped's or motorcycle's daytime running lamps.

Compare: SR 1976/227 r 37(2), (6), (8), (10) (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/link.aspx?id=DLM51093#DLM51093)
Clause 8.3(5): added, on 1 November 2009, by clause 30 (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/link.aspx?id=DLM2257001#DLM2257001) of the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule 2009 (SR 2009/253).

The law also states you must not exceed 100 km/hr ... just another law/rule which gets ignored ... if it suits ... at the time ...

If you wish to quote laws/rules ... quote ones YOU never ignore ...

Mom
30th March 2011, 19:13
what are you getting?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/135643-Retail-therapy-is-so-good-for-the-soul

Katman
30th March 2011, 19:24
Don't you just love team players?!

I think you'll find you're mistaken.

He's just the half-time ice-cream boy.

bsasuper
30th March 2011, 19:27
People who drive/ride with hi beam on, and dont dip when following and for on coming traffic are just total pea brains, morons, fuckwits.You are more likely to cause an accident.

Pussy
30th March 2011, 19:30
I think you'll find you're mistaken.

He's just the half-time ice-cream boy.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z9BkmMjgrwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rastuscat
30th March 2011, 19:35
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z9BkmMjgrwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aw man, such a memory lane trip !! I think I recall that from a party about 30 years ago................DOH !!

Ta.

Maha
30th March 2011, 20:24
All good... heading up that way maybe at Easter with kids for a visit with friends... having a bbq here on saturday avo.. with a few extra's. (ps invite only lol, u are invited)... new bike coooool... what are you getting?

Might be an option if the night looks good. Cant beat a night ride when its crisp and clear....good chance to use the full beam also....:blink:

CookMySock
30th March 2011, 21:19
I use my nasty-bright highbeam everywhere, EXCEPT following other bikers, on overcast days, at night in traffic, or in any other situation where it blinds people.

On brightly sunlit days I get ZERO complaints, but will dip immediately following a request or a complaint, or if I detect anyone taking some measures to mitigate.

Other than that, I care not whether anyone likes my fullbeam lights or otherwise. They work damn well at letting cagers know I am there. Cagers can take some reassurance in the fact that I will not be behind them for any longer than 20 seconds.

The only workable way to let motorists know I am there is to polarise them, and thats tough. :violin:

pzkpfw
30th March 2011, 21:50
I use my nasty-bright highbeam everywhere, EXCEPT following other bikers, on overcast days, at night in traffic, or in any other situation where it blinds people.

On brightly sunlit days I get ZERO complaints, but will dip immediately following a request or a complaint, or if I detect anyone taking some measures to mitigate.

Other than that, I care not whether anyone likes my fullbeam lights or otherwise. They work damn well at letting cagers know I am there. Cagers can take some reassurance in the fact that I will not be behind them for any longer than 20 seconds.

The only workable way to let motorists know I am there is to polarise them, and thats tough. :violin:

Sometimes the cager is a rider who happens to be in their car.

What's the standard way for them to tell you, especially when you are behind them, that you're a fuckwit and your lights need to be dipped?

...you know, for the once in a while that you are forced to be there more than 20 seconds?

Gremlin
31st March 2011, 00:51
(Especially when an "adventure" (dual purpose) bike is close behind you, in busy traffic, so it's fairly high off the ground headlight is right in your freaking mirror for freaking ages. Grrrr.)
Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for those in front, or approaching me, when I'm on the BMW. The headlight is probably more than 1m off the ground, and often goes right over the boot of cars, flooding the back of the car.

I also regularly get flashed in the country, to dip my lights, when they are already dipped, so I give a quick flash back to let them know it IS dipped... but I guess its hard for them to know (and bloody irritating). Worst has been getting flashed by a truck... (think zombie in daylight).

The headlight is adjusted correctly, and I deliberately look for high headlights as they work better in corners at night, shining further through a corner.

Still... no, I hate those that use high beam with others around...

DR650gary
31st March 2011, 08:30

There is an old saying that comes to mind here..

"Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are stupid, than open it and remove all doubt."

You are an idiot.

Taz
31st March 2011, 08:38
having a bbq here on saturday avo.. with a few extra's.

Bugger I'm working and my invite seems to have gone missing in the post....

CookMySock
31st March 2011, 10:35
Sometimes the cager is a rider who happens to be in their car.

What's the standard way for them to tell you, especially when you are behind them, that you're a fuckwit and your lights need to be dipped?

...you know, for the once in a while that you are forced to be there more than 20 seconds?A person driving a car is a cager. A person riding a bike is a biker. Simple.

The traditional way to request a dip is by flashing, which I will respond to instantly. If I got any at all, which I don't.

I won't tread on people. If they don't like it, I'll stop. But I'm not getting any complaints. At all. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nuffing. What am I missing?

oneofsix
31st March 2011, 10:44

with you headlight on highbeam your location become indistinct. i nearly wiped out a bike with his highbeam on because I thought the light was coming from the 4wd behind the rider, the rider being invisible behind his light.
I am told studies have been done on this but have yet found them.
Also had one following me and i couldn't tell how close he was.
Now being mainly a rider I care and took extra care but if I were a normal cager you are toast.

Virago
31st March 2011, 10:53
...What am I missing?

A brain...

george formby
31st March 2011, 11:08
The riders in the original post may not have been aware that they were on main beam. I can't see the wee lights on my dash very well in bright sunlight & have learned to physically check my switches. Bit like BMW drivers with their fog lights on permanently. Anybody else noticed that?

If you do ride on main beam what do you do when you need to use a courtesy flash?

Admittedly when I flash somebody out a junction or trying to leave a parking space I normally just get stared at or flicked the bird. Truck drivers are an exception, they usually give me a wave if I flash my intention to overtake or let them out of a junction.

As mentioned, bikes on main beam are very hard to judge for distance & speed.

DR650gary
31st March 2011, 15:27
The riders in the original post may not have been aware that they were on main beam.

True. Not an excuse though in my mind. Be aware of your bike and surroundings.

I guess you can be an idiot on 2 wheels. I like to ride, sometimes fast, but always with my safety in mind and I don't deliberately seek to inconvenience others.

Those who do give us all a bad name.

george formby
31st March 2011, 15:36
True. Not an excuse though in my mind. Be aware of your bike and surroundings.

I guess you can be an idiot on 2 wheels. I like to ride, sometimes fast, but always with my safety in mind and I don't deliberately seek to inconvenience others.

Those who do give us all a bad name.

I admit to having left an indicator on or having my light on high beam, noticed & wondered how long I have been annoying or confusing other road users.
A "cockpit check" is part of my day to day riding now. As you say, it's all about safety.

Mekk
31st March 2011, 17:00
The traditional way to request a dip is by flashing, which I will respond to instantly. If I got any at all, which I don't.

I won't tread on people. If they don't like it, I'll stop. But I'm not getting any complaints. At all. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nuffing. What am I missing?

How are you going to see the vehicles in front of you flashing their lights from behind them?

Do they need a sign with "DIP YOUR LIGHTS, ASSHOLE" on the back?

FJRider
31st March 2011, 18:27

I take reassurance that YOU are in the NORTH island ... I feel so much safer ...

FJRider
31st March 2011, 18:28
A brain...

Never had one ... so he got a hyoslug ...

JATZ
31st March 2011, 19:53
I'm sorry Gary.....
you lost me when you put Trailer and TDM900 in 1 sentence :shit:
I take it the rest was about lights or something :blink:

Toaster
31st March 2011, 19:58
The law also states you must not exceed 100 km/hr ... just another law/rule which gets ignored ... if it suits ... at the time ...

If you wish to quote laws/rules ... quote ones YOU never ignore ...

That is one I never ignore. Thanks for the preaching though. Feeling guilty obviously.

NighthawkNZ
31st March 2011, 20:08
A brain...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Never had one ... so he got a hyoslug ...

Hey Xaria rides one of them and well... she problem has more brain power than this whole site combined... :facepalm:

FJRider
31st March 2011, 20:11
That is one I never ignore. Thanks for the preaching though. Feeling guilty obviously.

Good ... I can put my back to front collar away now ... :yes:

Toaster
31st March 2011, 20:13
Good ... I can put my back to front collar away now ... :yes:

Reminds me of Mork and Mindy for some reason.

FJRider
31st March 2011, 20:17
Reminds me of Mork and Mindy for some reason.

The mind boggles as to the reason ... I wont ask ... :facepalm:

ajturbo
31st March 2011, 20:38

i ride with my lights on full all the time... you see me.. GREAT..!!!!:woohoo:

pzkpfw
1st April 2011, 06:18
I wonder if the people who ride on high beam all the time on the assumption that overall it makes them safer (and regardless of the effect on other road users) also wear hi-viz vests?

DR650gary
1st April 2011, 07:21

You inconvenience others, still great?

You are sort of person who gives us all a bad name, yet I bet you bitch to your few mates about cagers who annoy you.

Get some respect for others and they may in turn gain some respect for you.

DR650gary
1st April 2011, 07:25
I'm sorry Gary.....
you lost me when you put Trailer and TDM900 in 1 sentence :shit:

Yeah, I know. :facepalm:

Combination of factors, wife and a night in Taupo, more than one motorcycle, time, tired and too scared to bent the new one first day. :crybaby:

Did more k's on it in the last 2 days that I did on my ZRX in the 6 months prior.

Love it. :yes:

awayatc
1st April 2011, 08:16

I bet You can get an exemption for wearing a helmet......

oneofsix
1st April 2011, 08:18

No you can see your lights great, you however are invisible behind the glare.

george formby
1st April 2011, 08:41
Yeah, I know. :facepalm:

Combination of factors, wife and a night in Taupo, more than one motorcycle, time, tired and too scared to bent the new one first day. :crybaby:

Did more k's on it in the last 2 days that I did on my ZRX in the 6 months prior.

Love it. :yes:

Shhhhh FFS.:shutup: You might make them popular & I would have to buy a Zundap.

CookMySock
1st April 2011, 09:58
No you can see your lights great, you however are invisible behind the glare.Thats the whole idea. Approaching bike looks like a fucking freight train. Pull out in front of it? I do not think so. :sunny:

If I'm following people, I'll position my lights somewhere where they are not in their rear-vision mirrors, or at least not in their non-dippable mirrors. If I'm completely stuck there for ages, I'll dip.

6000K HID is even better! It matters not whether you are behind other vehicles, trees, or any damn thing whatsoever... A split-second show of your titanium-flare-bright lights is enough to make everyone return to their lane, or at least pause and take stock, which is exactly what you need.

The ONLY person who has ever pulled out in front of me damn near leapt out his passengers window in fright when he saw my super-bright lights and loud bike. I was doing about 120 clicks braking hard looking straight at his drivers door, and I shit you not, this poor bitch had the most terrified look on his face EVAAARRRRRR and jumped soooo hard and soooo high in his drivers seat. That episode was more my fault that anyones, and it was a nasty reminder about belting out of corners moving at speeds noooooo-one ever thought of considering.

In the final analysis I'm going to take actions to protect myself, and if someone takes exception then thats their heart attack, not mine. Take responsibility for your feelings and actions - abusing someone else does nothing except empower them. :violin:

Max Preload
1st April 2011, 10:28
If you ride around on high-beam even in daylight hours, you're an inconsiderate fuckwit, no better than those you pretend you're doing it to protect yourself from. It may make you more likely to be noticed but it'll also make it much more difficult for other motorists to judge your approach speed and distance.

DR650gary
1st April 2011, 11:22
Can you please be more specific about the motorcycle instructor, Steve?

I would like to get his clarification of the quote, just to ensure that he is not be taken out of context.

He must be a doozy of instructor if he advocates illegal actions that are inconsiderate to others. Must ensure that no one I want to survive get his method of training.

Caning a Hyosung @ 120 KPH... you need to get out more.:scooter:

Pussy
1st April 2011, 11:29
So someone thinks it's their right to ride around during the day with their lights on high beam?
Good! Because I feel it's MY right to take to their bike with a sledgehammer.
Got to think of my feelings too, you know.....

pzkpfw
1st April 2011, 11:31
I love it.

At 120 clicks it's everybody elses problem to get out of his way.

(I'm not complaining about the speed, I may or may not do that myself, too. But what gets me is a sanctimonious attitude of "screw everybody else, I'll do whatever I need to for my safety"... when other safety-for-my-self things like hi-viz or speed control get ignored. This is so self-centered.)

imdying
1st April 2011, 11:40
By my own admission, even looking like a freight train doesn't work.Stop messing about and get the gatling gut fitted :yes:

CookMySock
1st April 2011, 11:43
Stop messing about and get the gatling gut fitted :yes:Zorst sound like one, only louder! :sick:

imdying
1st April 2011, 11:46
Zorst sound like one, only louder! :sick:Why not have both (http://www.tailgunnerexhaust.com/)!

Pointing it forward will end up with you smelling like your exhaust though :(

Taz
1st April 2011, 11:50
Could plumb the exhaust straight to his helmet to hear it better??

CookMySock
1st April 2011, 11:53
Could plumb the exhaust straight to his helmet to hear it better??Way too fucking loud! :sick:

NighthawkNZ
1st April 2011, 12:43
Take responsibility...

Do us all a favour... sell your bike and stay off the road... we will all be safer...

nodrog
1st April 2011, 12:47
Way too fucking loud! :sick:

Ill supply the ear plugs.

Jantar
1st April 2011, 13:51
I wonder if the people who ride on high beam all the time on the assumption that overall it makes them safer (and regardless of the effect on other road users) also wear hi-viz vests?
So when I don't see your indicators because I'm blinded by your high beam, whose fault is it when I plow into you?

Jantar
1st April 2011, 13:54
Can you please be more specific about the motorcycle instructor, Steve?

I would like to get his clarification of the quote, just to ensure that he is not be taken out of context.

He must be a doozy of instructor if he advocates illegal actions that are inconsiderate to others. Must ensure that no one I want to survive get his method of training.

Caning a Hyosung @ 120 KPH... you need to get out more.:scooter:

He is NOT an instructor. Once, just once, in the whole time he has been on here he made a single wise comment. he was commended for it by a qualified instructor, and now puts it in his signiture.

DR650gary
1st April 2011, 14:03
He is NOT an instructor. Once, just once, in the whole time he has been on here he made a single wise comment. he was commended for it by a qualified instructor, and now puts it in his signiture.

Was the comment

"I am a dickhead and need to sell my Hyosung"

Seems to be about the only commendable thing he would say.

Is it so hard to admit that a high beam is for solo travel at night when you do not inconvenience others?

A well adjusted light gives more than enough visibility for an aware driver and an unaware driver will see neither, high or low.

Or should we all, cagers included, ignore each other and introduce the "carnage law"? Last man standing sort of thing! :shit:

Maha
1st April 2011, 14:54
An ex boss of mine in Auckland drives his vehicle with his lights on full...reckons other road use will let him know if they (the lights) bother them...:facepalm:

pzkpfw
1st April 2011, 14:54
So when I don't see your indicators because I'm blinded by your high beam, whose fault is it when I plow into you?

Yeah, that's why I wrote "assumption". The high-beam advocates justify it on the basis of their own personal safety - but I think that's rather unproven. There were comments earlier in the thread from someone (a rider) who definitely had occasions when high-beam made it harder to properly see where a bike was.

Maha
1st April 2011, 14:58

Qualified instuctor? we have only a few of those on here hope you're not confusing mentors with qualified instructors?

notme
1st April 2011, 14:59
Do headlight modulators make both camps in this argument happy?..... bugger, doesn't matter - they're illegal.

Jantar
1st April 2011, 15:03
Qualified instuctor? we have only a few of those on here hope you're not confusing mentors with qualified instructors?
No confusion. It was by one of our qualified instructors. I'm aware of only 3, but there may be more.

Mom
1st April 2011, 17:00
Might be an option if the night looks good. Cant beat a night ride when its crisp and clear....good chance to use the full beam also....:blink:

I never thougth of that option, I could do that after Mangawhai/Waipu/Oakleigh/Paparoa :killingme

Nice to see you have changed tack on the following other bikes thing, I am specially pleased to read you dont attempt to deliberately blind other drivers as you used to.

Mom
1st April 2011, 17:03
I have read the thread now, it seems I was a bit hasty. Nothing has changed.

steve_t
1st April 2011, 17:08
I have read the thread now, it seems I was a bit hasty. Nothing has changed.

LOL. Didn't you call it in post #2?

Mom
1st April 2011, 17:33
LOL. Didn't you call it in post #2?

Maybe, but I am always positive and up for giving people a fifth or sixth cance :pinch:

In this case I am about to give up. Mind you I have not read my recent rep :whocares:

Bonez
1st April 2011, 17:47
Thank goodness not all Hyobag riders are big cocks. Stay up norf please.
It's an attention thing right? You might find a big Teddy will give you all the security you need.

http://www.sendflowerstohyderabad.com/images/teddy1.jpg

CRF119
1st April 2011, 17:55
If i get caught riding with the sun low in the sky and its behind me this making it very hard for the cages potentialy trying to pass a slow car i have my lights on hi beam because otherwise a bike is impossible to see.

That is the only time.

mattian
1st April 2011, 17:56
I agree with most of you that riding around all day with your light on high beam is just stupid... (and illegal) However, I got so sick of cars, failing to give way to me at my local round-about, I started thinking, "I wonder if I flicked my light onto high beam, when I entered the round-about would make any difference." So, I started doing it and I tell ya what! it has. People stop for me much more often when I flick my light to high beam. This is just my experience so far. I will continue to do it too, as long as it works.

Bonez
1st April 2011, 18:03
If i get caught riding with the sun low in the sky and its behind me this making it very hard for the cages potentialy trying to pass a slow car i have my lights on hi beam because otherwise a bike is impossible to see.

That is the only time.Those yellow blinky things might help too. Trouble is most folk these days want to make them as small as possible. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out larger blinky things could be more visable than small blinky things. Of course the ideal thing is not to use them at all, pretend your invinscible and pretend other road users are all idiots.

scracha
1st April 2011, 18:05
I agree with most of you that riding around all day with your light on high beam is just stupid... (and illegal) However, I got so sick of cars, failing to give way to me at my local round-about, I started thinking, "I wonder if I flicked my light onto high beam, when I entered the round-about would make any difference." So, I started doing it and I tell ya what! it has. People stop for me much more often when I flick my light to high beam. This is just my experience so far. I will continue to do it too, as long as it works.

Flick your high beam on in front of some dipshit on or just before a round-about and they may be inclined to think you're flashing thee to pull out (in front of you). Do it a few hundred metres before the roundabout.

Anyway...has the OP got pics of his sexy Yamaha?

pc220
1st April 2011, 18:21
Thats the whole idea. Approaching bike looks like a fucking freight train. Pull out in front of it? I do not think so. :sunny:

If I'm following people, I'll position my lights somewhere where they are not in their rear-vision mirrors, or at least not in their non-dippable mirrors. If I'm completely stuck there for ages, I'll dip.

6000K HID is even better! It matters not whether you are behind other vehicles, trees, or any damn thing whatsoever... A split-second show of your titanium-flare-bright lights is enough to make everyone return to their lane, or at least pause and take stock, which is exactly what you need.

The ONLY person who has ever pulled out in front of me damn near leapt out his passengers window in fright when he saw my super-bright lights and loud bike. I was doing about 120 clicks braking hard looking straight at his drivers door, and I shit you not, this poor bitch had the most terrified look on his face EVAAARRRRRR and jumped soooo hard and soooo high in his drivers seat. That episode was more my fault that anyones, and it was a nasty reminder about belting out of corners moving at speeds noooooo-one ever thought of considering.

In the final analysis I'm going to take actions to protect myself, and if someone takes exception then thats their heart attack, not mine. Take responsibility for your feelings and actions - abusing someone else does nothing except empower them. :violin:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

CRF119
1st April 2011, 18:26
Those yellow blinky things might help too. Trouble is most folk these days want to make them as small as possible. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out larger blinky things could be more visable than small blinky things. Of course the ideal thing is not to use them at all, pretend your invinscible and pretend other road users are all idiots.

I was meaning its hard for the on coming cars trying to pass to see that you are in the lane when the sun is hind you not when i am passing.

Most drivers drive around in La La land anyway and half the time don't relise how slow they are driving, a good high beam flick makes them wake up.

Bonez
1st April 2011, 18:27
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:Welcome to our world.

Bonez
1st April 2011, 18:28
I was meaning its hard for the on coming cars trying to pass to see that you are in the lane when the sun is hind you not when i am passing.

Most drivers drive around in La La land anyway and half the time don't relise how slow they are driving, a good high beam flick makes them wake up.Half the riders are in la la land too. So you are saying pass in their lane and they should give way?

FJRider
1st April 2011, 18:53
...... and pretend other road users are all idiots.

as silly as it sounds ... :yes:

Bonez
1st April 2011, 18:56
as silly as it sounds ... :yes:I hear ya. But it's those idiot m/c riders that make us all look bad ;)

FJRider
1st April 2011, 19:02
I hear ya. But it's those idiot m/c riders that make us all look bad ;)

I assume EVERY other road user is an idiot ... :yes:

I make NO distinction .... :no:

I am still alive ... :yes:

Bonez
1st April 2011, 19:04
I assume EVERY other road user is an idiot ... :yes:

I make NO distinction .... :no:

I am still alive ... :yes:Quite correct. So am. I think..................:shit:

Katman
1st April 2011, 19:05
Quite correct. So am. I think..................:shit:

I'll let you know tomorrow if I am.

Bonez
1st April 2011, 19:06
I'll let you know tomorrow if I am.How's it hanging Steve?

FJRider
1st April 2011, 19:08
I'll let you know tomorrow if I am.

PM me if you're not ... :yes:

Taz
2nd April 2011, 05:08
PM me if you're not ... :yes:

News like that would be on the front page of the paper.

schrodingers cat
2nd April 2011, 06:50
blokes on cruisers...

Really there is nothing more to say.