PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX1250FA -- 5,000km update

Hitcher
30th March 2011, 21:18
On Friday 14 January, I flew to New Plymouth and bought my first ever Suzuki. It was New Plymouth Motorcycle Centre's demonstrator GSX1250FAL0, with Givi touring kit. Indy Candy Blue with gunmetal grey rims, which I think is the best of the three colour schemes Suzuki offers the L0s in.

ABS as standard with the headlight and instrumentation purloined from the GSX-R, some may think that the FA is just a 1250 Bandit in drag. As well as the fully-faired engine it also has a different front suspension set up compared to that in the Bandit. Consequently it handles discernably differently, in a predictable and quite agreeable way.

Today the Blue Suzuki had its scheduled 6,000km service -- almost exactly 5,000km more than when I bought it two-and-a-half months ago.

I reckon that bikes always ride better after a decent mechanic has plied them with fresh oil and a bit of TLC. Today was no exception, also helped by me coming to terms with and enjoying the various modifications I've made to the once standard bike. The weather too was a perfect Wellington autumn day, which any motorcycle would be stupid not to enjoy.

This bike has the best gearbox I've ever shifted with. It is an absolute pearler, up and down. Not a false neutral to be had anywhere. Fresh oil today seemed to enhance that blissful experience.

The engine too is a delight. If BMW had built a four-cylinder engine this smooth that delivered its maximum torque at 3,700rpm, the world's motorcyle press would be festooning it with lavish adulation. Suzuki builds one and nobody says a word. It's a gorgeous piece of kit, a real rider's engine that is willing and absolutely unflappable. The injected fuelling is faultless.

Its fuel economy is pretty darned good too for a big bike. 15 to 16 litres of 91 octane will propel rider, bike and luggage about 300km, with four litres left, just in case.

This machine is not standard. Modifications to date include:

Scottoiler -- to make the chain go further
Oxford heated grips -- for rider comfort in the cold and wet
Leo Vince SBK muffler -- so the rider and proximate New Zealand public can hear and appreciate what the engine is doing
Garmin zumo 550 -- for extra trip meters, accurate speed information, height above sea level, and a reliable route for those moments when one really needs one
Rad Guard -- to keep projectiles out of the radiator
Rider saddle -- because Mr Suzuki of Japan really doesn't understand what serious saddle time means for a rider and pillion, but fortunately Mr McDonald of Tauranga does
55W H7 Ion Spark low beam bulb -- because the standard bulb is a bit thin on dip.

Suspension is good. Not outstanding but good, indeed better than I was expecting. Ohlins may be in order at about the 20,000km mark when the rebound on the rear should start to tire.

I'm still keeping an eye on the brakes. I have high standards in that regard, from over 80,000km on a Yamaha FJR1300T which has absolutely brilliant stoppers -- lots of stop with lots of feel. The FA's brakes are OK, 7.5 to 8.0 out of 10 on the Hitcher FJR scale. They're certainly much better the the brakes on some other ABS-equipped bikes I've ridden, which would be lucky to score a 5.0 on the above scale. Yes Mr BMW, I'm talking about yours.

After 5,000km, I'm starting to get the hang of the luggage. It's all Givi, which is hard to fault, although I'd be happier if it was all Monokey system. The panniers are Monokey, the topbox is Monolock and can take a bit of a fiddle to connect.

Next purchase will be tyres. After 6,000km there is a bit of wear starting to show on the rear. Time will tell what distance finally exhausts them. The OEM Bridgestone Battlax 021s are OK but I'll replace them with something else. The front tyre isn't as sharp as some other makes. At this stage my leading contender is the Dunlop Roadsmart.

I am really surprised that more of these bikes haven't been sold in New Zealand. They are outstandingly good value for money in standard form and can be made a quite exceptional bike for little additional cash. They go well and look great.

I am really enjoying my Suzuki GSX1250FA and we plan to be happy together for quite some time.

blackdog
30th March 2011, 21:21
Crikey Hitcher, you missed an apostrophe!

Great write up. Sounds like the perfect bike for all your wants and needs.

kewwig
30th March 2011, 21:40
Great writeup. I have Michelin Pilot Road II's on my GSF1250 and they are a good tyre with excellent wear so far

pzkpfw
30th March 2011, 21:55
... At this stage my leading contender is the Dunlop Roadsmart. ...

I have those on my Z. I won't pretend to know enough to give a good review, but I think they are very good. Bike handles as well if not better than the OEM Brdigestones. Never felt nervous on them or been given a "fright", in dry or very very very wet conditions. Seem to be "long lasting" too.

The rear is dual compound, and the centre is possibly "too hard" a compound. I have had it skid a little if I've used the back brake a little hard, or downshifted too harshly. (Let the flaming begin...)

Hitcher
30th March 2011, 22:08
I bought a set of Roadsmarts in Flagstaff Arizona that I fitted to my FJR1300 when the Avon Storms finally wore out. I managed about 6,000km on them, mostly on dry roads, before I sold the bike. That said, the day I bought them we rode in torrential rain down the windy road from Flagstaff to Sedona with no worries. The following day we had a great slash up and over the wonderful Highway 89A from Jerome to Prescott. Without having ridden them to a conclusion, I'd rate them as good as, if not slightly better than, the superb handling and wearing Avon Storm.

blackdog
30th March 2011, 22:20
Crikey Hitcher, you missed an apostrophe!

Great write up. Sounds like the perfect bike for all your wants and needs.

My accusation of the missing apostrophe is hereby retracted.

Tiredness is not an excuse.

As for tyres, the experiences (2 sets front and rear) I had with simple Conti Motions on my 1200 Bandit were very very good in all weathers. They probably didn't last as long as some other models, but they are well priced and inspired confidence greater than the Metzlers and Battlaxes I shod it with before them.

Gremlin
30th March 2011, 23:26
2000km a month? That's a bit slow init Hitcher? Easing into it then? Good fuel consumption tho.

I would recommend PR2, perhaps PR3 now they are out, but I have not used the latter yet. Depends on your personal preference tho.

Keep it shiny side up, and keep enjoying it :niceone:

Edbear
31st March 2011, 06:30
Apparently I've given out too much rep and have to wait a bit, but an excellent write up :yes: and I can only concur that this is a fabulous bike that deserves far better recognition than it has had so far! I loved it and found it great to commute on and splitting was a breeze as well.

The engine is unbelievably smooth and the torque delivery so like an electric motor! Twist and go from any revs even down to 50km/h in top gear! (And I mean GO!!!). Cornering was rock solid and the bike was unfazed by bumps and undulations.

I found the brakes sublime, but then most braking systems are advanced compared to the single front disc and rear drum of the C50T... My only criticism of the 1250 was the lack of a shaft drive model and we can but hope Suzuki will bring one out in due course. Chain life will be interesting, has anyone worn out a chain on one yet?

ynot slow
1st April 2011, 19:27
... My only criticism of the 1250 was the lack of a shaft drive model and we can but hope Suzuki will bring one out in due course. Chain life will be interesting, has anyone worn out a chain on one yet?

My chain is due for replacement at the moment,have taken a link out and should get me through next 2-3months,by then it'll have done 43000km,no scott oiler on it.

Laava
1st April 2011, 22:15
I just got 57,000km out of my orig set and the rear sprocket hardly looked worn. But the front sprocket, under it's cover where it couldn't be seen, had all it's teeth snapped off and was about to let go.
Oh and with a chain oiler. A Pro Oiler from Belgium which uses motor oil and makes a hell of a mess. Don't think I'd fit another one because of it. But I believe the Scott oil is much better at staying on the chain. My 2c

Gremlin
2nd April 2011, 02:34
But the front sprocket, under it's cover where it couldn't be seen, had all it's teeth snapped off and was about to let go.
Oh and with a chain oiler.
Yeah, common danger. The front sprocket is around a third the size of the rear, so gets 3 times the wear. You can see the rear easily, but when it starts looking bad, the front is beyond rooted.

I'd suggest scottoilers, I had one on my last bike... but now I've seen the light, and have shaft drive. :innocent:

Maha
27th August 2013, 16:08
How did you get on with rear shock adjustment on the GSX? I struggle to reach it let alone adjust it.
The seat?...yeah it may need attending to. Day two of an extensive (for us anyway) ride time, hip area was getting sore after 100kms or so.