PDA

View Full Version : Who owns a CB1000R?

Groins_NZ
30th March 2011, 21:34
Hey, have just been trying to get an idea of how popular the Honda CB1000R is but it doesn't seem to be talked about that much on KB.

Do you own one?

Cheers.

gale_wolf
30th March 2011, 22:23
Is that the Predator? GiJoe1313's got one, he bought it new last September I think.

Groins_NZ
30th March 2011, 22:35
Yup, that's the one.

blackdog
30th March 2011, 22:40
So ho hum.

If you are looking at bikes in this class you should consider this.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20B/KTM%20990%20Super%20Duke%20R%2007%20%201.jpg

A whole lot less gay.

blackdog
30th March 2011, 22:43
Oops, you already have one. Sorry.

Oh well, more girls for me while the boys are checking out your 'predatory'.

Gremlin
30th March 2011, 23:21
I had a KTM Supermoto, quite similar, didn't get me the girls like you imagine, but it did spend a healthy amount of time conserving the front tyre.

The predator is not too common because it's only been around for a couple of years, and was initially over-priced. Personally, I prefer the hornet 900 to the predator, better suited to my requirements.

Matt
31st March 2011, 04:16
I test-rode one the other day in the Hutt and was impressed - decent amount of grunt although it was a bit quiet. Having said that I actually went for a Street Triple R in the end (mainly due to $$$$'s)...

Matt

pzkpfw
31st March 2011, 06:26
I test-rode one the other day in the Hutt and was impressed - decent amount of grunt although it was a bit quiet. Having said that I actually went for a Street Triple R in the end (mainly due to $$$$'s)...

Matt

What's the triple sell for? The CB was ridiculously low priced recently.

Badgerclarke
31st March 2011, 15:03
I've got the CB

Str8 Jacket
31st March 2011, 15:20
You still in Welly? Go on the Thurs night ride and meet Mat AKA southmotian on kb. He just bought one a few months back.... Awesome bikes!

gijoe1313
1st April 2011, 08:38
Horses for courses, the original pricing was out of kilter with what the bike was (for the original money, go the CBR) - what got me purchasing the Predator was when the pricing went down to my expectations. For the $15K, its a lot of bike for not much money.

Done just over 15000km since I bought it in Sept last year, Sword silver livery (and not the dragon green) - not many mods, just replaced the can with a carbon fibre Two Brothers, Scott oiler, tail tidy, GIVI headlight protector and a tyre hugger.

I've enjoyed riding my bike since it is my "toy" I still have the 900 Hornet for the long hauls since it is more comfortable. Saying that, the joys of the Predator suits my style of riding and having the extra ponies to give it a little tickle now and then is enough for me.

I rode it on it's maiden journey from Dorkland to Wellywood ... during that period I hit ice, snow, driving rain and everything else in between. I even crashed it hittin a dog in Ashhurst - just a few scratches and rode fine!

Hasn't missed a beat and currently using Pirelli Angels on it, love the bike! Even my girl prefers being on it for our shorter excursions (she prefers the 900 for extended trips).

Just my two cents!

Groins_NZ
1st April 2011, 11:59
@gigijoe1313

Sounds good. I used to have a Hornet, new since 2004, but after doing approx 115,000kms the motor got a little 'buzzy' for me and ended up not enjoying the ride so much. Somebody brought it from the shop that I traded it in at and got a short term warranty with it - they were happy enough and the bike was in good nick for the amount of use it got.
I'm liking the CB1000R, I find it a fun bike to ride anyway. It came with crash knobs, tail tidy, after market exhaust & link pipe. It's just had a PC5 fitted and have just got link pipe and headers hyper-coated (not the same product as HPC but similar tech). I'm picking the bike up from the shop tonight so looking forward to seeing what it looks like. Also wanting to get a custom seat too, mainly to make it more comfortable for touring but also looks. I'm not sure McDonalds Motor Trimmers in Tauranga can acommodate my design ideas though - anyone know of a business that does good custom upholstery with access to a wide range of materials?

gijoe1313
1st April 2011, 12:16
@Groins_NZ

Your bike sounds like it has some nice fruit on it and being modded up ... when you can, throw up a picture of your pipe link? I want to ditch the catalyst attachment (for it is fugly) and have a nice neat arrangement!

So did you supply the PC or did you just do the whole thing through a qualified installer? (I will have to go down this route if I change the pipes so more info the better!)

Groins_NZ
1st April 2011, 12:52
@gijoe1313

yeah, I don't normally spend money on these things, in fact I haven't to date but since the bike came with a few things already I thought why not.

One of the mechanics at Keown Honda in Wanganui made the link pipe himself (I'm sure he could make a copy) and he made a fitting for the O2 sensor. Just out of steal and painted black so didn't match the slipon or stainless headers hence the new paint job (will post a pic when I can). I love the sound by the way, for me it's not too loud, just nice. With this set up though a bit of 'hunting' was evidient, particularly in amongst traffic during the commute which is why I opted to try a PC5. Geoff at Keown Honda ordered it for me and since they had the bike there they've fitted it also (otherwise would have done it myself).
I would still like to get a custom map done and will likely go somewhere that are DynoJet certified (perhaps Tauranga).

AllanB
1st April 2011, 15:22
Great bikes.

Chooky
1st April 2011, 18:04
Yer... got a white one...HPC coating on the headers..Givi hugger and screen..Two Bros carbon can... and a few other things.
Still wondering what to do with the cat, its a big ugly thing once the original muffler has gone.....Some of the poms HPC coat them matt black.
Could take it off and put in a link pipe but it might be too loud for a wof...
What have you'se fellas done about the cat..?

Anyway, havn't had it out for a while... too busy thrashing Pussy's old FU round the sky..

Pussy
1st April 2011, 18:13
Anyway, havn't had it out for a while... too busy thrashing Pussy's old FU round the sky..

Your job must suck! Who would be stupid enough to do it?? :)

Pussy
1st April 2011, 18:16
Are you strong in the arms and weak in the head too, Chooky??

Chooky
1st April 2011, 18:21
Yea the bloody thing tried to do me in yesterday... But I showed it who was boss....

Pussy
1st April 2011, 18:25
Yea the bloody thing tried to do me in yesterday... But I showed it who was boss....

It's got more hours than you... just don't interfere with it too much, and it will do the job for you...

Grant`
1st April 2011, 22:39
I recently brought one in December, for $15k was a whole lot of bike for little money especially brand new.

Really impressed with it (not a fan of sports bike riding position) have done just over 9k on it since i purchased, plenty of torque where necessary, diffuser is not the greatest after about 130k though.

Have a Scottoiler, Two Bros Can(still waiting on right can to arrive), Hugger, Rad Guard and Ventura Head light guard. Just ordered a de-cat pipe from England to replace the underneath cat which is fucking huge and ugly once orginal exhaust has been removed. Hoping i can go with out the Power commander but will bite the bullet if i have to and buy one.

Chooky
2nd April 2011, 03:10
Hey Grant... who are you getting the decat pipe from.?
I'm probably going to go the same way, but wondering how much noise it'll make with the 2 Bro and the cat removed.

Grant`
2nd April 2011, 15:18
Hey chooky.

I just brought this one (link below), checked with them to make sure it was a direct replacement and would fit the standard exhaust to it and worked out to around $320 with shipping.

Will put it on and see how it goes, before buying a pc5 as I don't want to spend the money straight away if I can help it. Also if it is to loud, I will get one of those inserts for the can which does greatly reduce the noise from them. Had one of my previous bike which also had a two bros can on it and worked a treat for that.

http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/MiVV_Decat_Pipe_Honda_CB1000R_2008_On--product--11387.html

zeocen
2nd April 2011, 15:46
You guys think you've got it bad! I have the 2010 Hornet-x 600 and the cat on that thing looks like it's ready to launch a freaking torpedo!

I do rate the Predator also, but after riding both I went for the Hornet - suited my situation better and I like the extra tank size. But having ridden gijoe's Predator extensively I can safely say I would be content with one of them too. His Two Bros exhaust sounds wild as well, but even without a db killer insert it is mild on idle - best of both worlds.

One thing the Predator has over the Hornet-x is online community, and tight nit ones. The majority of the good ones for the Hornet are German or Italian :( You lucky sods.

Groins_NZ
2nd April 2011, 18:16
Hey,

Picked my bike up last night. Just the standard map running on the PC5 but even so it feels a lot smoother. Although fuel consumption might be up a bit but will monitor that over the next week or so.

C.Scott in Wanganui made the exhaust and link pipe, he's made a couple for the CB1000R. He makes them to order but I think he prefers to have the bike on hand to make sure he gets all the angles right. I can provide his contact details - send me a pm. Link pipe and headers done at Competition Coating Services in Taupo.

Took this video today, cheers.

CB1000R, Custom Exhaust & Link Pipe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7WacqKPHVA)

Taz
2nd April 2011, 19:22
CB1000R not for me. But a CB1100R now that'd be ok.

Matt
3rd April 2011, 06:58
What's the triple sell for? The CB was ridiculously low priced recently.

Was an '09 Street Triple R, which was a couple of k cheaper than the '07 Predator Motomart has in...

Matt

Groins_NZ
20th April 2011, 21:16
A question for CB1000R owners: what's the most Kms you've done on reserve?

Cheers.

gijoe1313
20th April 2011, 21:52
I've gone to about 64km on reserve, but try not to do that too often! :sweatdrop

Chooky
21st April 2011, 18:59
A question for CB1000R owners: what's the most Kms you've done on reserve?

Cheers.

Like you mean when the light starts flashing...?
Not many I try to avoid that..

Chooky
16th May 2011, 21:05
OK.. for Predator owners... My link pipe arrived from UK today. I've put it on with the 2bros carbon and started it in the garage...Holy, she makes a noise..
Anyway,have any of you'se fitted a PC.... and do you'd think it'll pass a wof with that noise...?

Blinkwing
17th May 2011, 01:15
I even crashed it hittin a dog in Ashhurst - just a few scratches and rode fine!

So

What happened to the dog? :blink:

gijoe1313
17th May 2011, 10:34
So

What happened to the dog? :blink:

Once I got myself sorted, I went back to look for the dog in case it was dead or badly injured (it would've been by the amount of blood that sluiced out of the bike when I checked it over at a servo). So it must have been catapulted where I couldn't see it or it buggered off somewhere.

Funnily enough, when I had it in for the 1000km service the next day at Botany Honda and related the story back - it turns out that one of the guys knew exactly where it happened and the dog matched the description of his ex-boss' dog when he worked down there (I described the street and the houses around, and he knew exactly where I was! :blink:)

gijoe1313
17th May 2011, 10:36
OK.. for Predator owners... My link pipe arrived from UK today. I've put it on with the 2bros carbon and started it in the garage...Holy, she makes a noise..
Anyway,have any of you'se fitted a PC.... and do you'd think it'll pass a wof with that noise...?

Ooh nice, if you don't mind got details? Cost and link to website? I've been thinking of doing the same myself (and the PC route as well!)

Grant`
17th May 2011, 14:02

Ok well personal opinion is that if you took it to VTNZ or somewhere like that they would probably fail it.

However, you could always invest in one of the p1x inserts from 2bros that should reduce the noise sufficiently. Thats what I plan on doing once I am due for my warrant :-)

Groins_NZ
17th May 2011, 18:12

Hey Chooky, My setup was custom made (link pipe and exhaust) and from my experience, even with the sensor plugged into the link pipe, it runs lean. I know the sensor is meant to allow for fuel re-mapping but I think it must work within a limited range (although I can't prove that, just saying from experience). I've got a PC installed and up to Napier tomorrow morning to get it mapped properly. I think it makes sense (IMHO) to get the PC if you've got the link pipe and new exhaust just to get the best performance out of the new package.

If you get a PC I would recommend getting it tuned ASAP, or done at the same time, to avoid any mishaps. For example, running a map not meant for your setup may mean the bike runs lean or richer than it should. Not sure about undue effects from running it lean, but from personal experience running a 'rich' fuel map is not a good idea as you can 'ball wash' the cylinders and foul the plugs (equals misfire and unburnt fuel exiting your exhaust, or worse).

I commute on my CB through rush-hour traffic so I particularly notice when the motor is not running smooth at slow speed and low RPM (do you commute?). At the moment it's a biatch at crawling speeds when stuck in traffic so I'm hoping this improves considerably after mapping is sorted.

As to getting a W.O.F, I've never taken any bike to VTNZ (probably what Grant said i.e. fail), only to bike shops and haven't had a problem to date. Although, I expect mine isn't so noisy as yours (you can hear it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7WacqKPHVA)).

Grant`
17th May 2011, 20:42
Far out just had a look at the vid clip and thats a whole lot of pipe on there!

The De-Cat I got for mine is a straight piece of pipe with no bend in it at all.

Groins_NZ
17th May 2011, 21:09
I know right, crazy! Not sure if there was a valid reason for the design - I'll ask next time I see the guy and if I remember. Cheers, M.

Chooky
17th May 2011, 21:14
Yer.. Grant... mine looks the same set up as yours...
Noisy ...huh...?.....:cool:

Grant`
17th May 2011, 21:34
Yours is looking a lot cleaner than mine though heh.

That touring screen, is that one of the ones that you replace the top diffuser with or is actually drilled into the original ones ?

Have you noticed a lot of difference with it on there? seriously considering buying one.

Chooky
17th May 2011, 22:03
Nar... it's a Givi... Its not fastened to the headlight, its got 2 brackets that bolt to the handlebar mounts...

Grant`
17th May 2011, 22:35
oh ok, do you find it effective? That would work just as well as what I considered buying.

Groins_NZ
20th May 2011, 22:50
Hey,

Thought I'd report back on my trip to Napier. The ride itself was bloody cold; I got caught out without my woollen jersey! Although I was wearing; long sleeve merino, cotton and poly tops, jacket with liner and my rain jacket. Heated grips at 100% a lot of the time but just couldn't get to a warm state. It was only on the way back that I espied the culprit - a nice dumping of snow on the Ruahine range.

Some video footage here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa3Lqq6keDY).

I went to get my bike properly tuned at ProCycles and the difference is amazing - worth the trip and $$$. It runs very smooth now and much nicer to ride. One big problem was that other maps I was using were way too rich and when you look at the new custom one almost all the fuel settings are in the negative. Subsequently, I get better economy too which is a bonus. Filled up in Taradale and went through the Manawatu gorge after Woodville, through to Levin via Linton. Just before Levin the last fuel segment started flashing at 217km which I thought was a little better than before (further analysis required). I wasn't dawdling either; well except when I unintentionally helped with some sheep mustering.

Nigel at ProCycles thought that the bends in my link pipe would have been to maintain some back pressure.

Grant`
21st May 2011, 14:13
Thats awesome!

I would of gathered as much with the bends myself as well, I am trying to find somewhere to take my bike for when my power commander shows up.

Groins_NZ
23rd May 2011, 20:49
Was out in the garage tonight adjusting the chain.

What I don't get, is that in the manual it states to adjust it for 25-35mm of slack somewhere in the middle, between front and rear sprocket. This measurement, from looking at the illustration, is from the centre of the chain link pins.

The problem I found was that if you try and measure this under the swing arm (somewhere in the middle) the chain will hit the plastic chain guide within 25mm?

Anyone else noticed this?

Cheers, M.

Chooky
23rd May 2011, 21:42
Yer I dont think thats a problem....as long as you've got some slack..
Im sure there's some chain experts here that'll soon tell you.....:cool:

Grant`
23rd May 2011, 22:08
Just for your guys information, I put in the p1 insert I had from my last two brothers exhaust and it does quiet the exhaust down but still not sufficient to pass a warrant. I found it was great for cruising at a hundy on my way to and from Auckland.

For a warrant will definitely need to invest in either the p1x or talking to the distributor for 2bros here there is a new insert p1x2 (just been released) which will possibly restrict horsepower slightly but reduce noise level hugely. Could be a great for warrant times :-)

Never noticed anything with my chain hitting anything at all, but I also don't have the standard chain guard on my bike anymore.

Chooky
24th May 2011, 22:37
Yer... with the decat pipe and the 2 Bros, it sounds like a GP bike, so I've put the original muffler back on.....

Anyone want to buy a cheap 2 Bros carbon......:cool:

Grant`
25th May 2011, 18:54
How much ya want for the pipe bro?

Chooky
25th May 2011, 20:11
Ha... I paid $800 for it so if I get a dollar back I'll be happy...:)

But really, it sounds like a GP bike, ya just cant shut it up...
Next track day at hampton I'll put it back on, but there's no way I want to ride it on the road like that.
With the decat pipe and original muffler it sounds cool... for me anyway..:cool:

Grant`
25th May 2011, 20:27
Heh fair enough, I will let ya know once I get the P1X insert, I believe that will quieten it down sufficiently for warrant purposes.

But if you do decide to part with the pipe let me know :-)

zeocen
25th May 2011, 21:12
Chooky, how much louder is the stock pipe with a decat on it? I have a CB600 and really like the look of the stock pipe but would like a bit more noise. Not sure if I should get a new pipe or decat it. Decat is more appealing because of the significant weight loss and I get to keep the stock pipe, but if there isn't much of a difference in sound (not so much louder, just lower tone) I'll probably go with a pipe.

Decat + pipe is just too loud for me, even with a db killer insert.

Grant`
25th May 2011, 21:16
Chooky, how much louder is the stock pipe with a decat on it? I have a CB600 and really like the look of the stock pipe but would like a bit more noise. Not sure if I should get a new pipe or decat it. Decat is more appealing because of the significant weight loss and I get to keep the stock pipe, but if there isn't much of a difference in sound (not so much louder, just lower tone) I'll probably go with a pipe.

Decat + pipe is just too loud for me, even with a db killer insert.

Pipe with cat on the Predator just looks stupid though :( maybe not so bad on the cb600?

DMNTD
25th May 2011, 21:19
How much ya want for the pipe bro?

Ya fuckin what?! :facepalm:

Grant`
25th May 2011, 21:21
You always pop up when your not wanted :-)

DMNTD
25th May 2011, 21:24
You always pop up when your not wanted :-)

I can't breathe out of my ears ya banker

Grant`
25th May 2011, 21:26
no comment on where you do breathe out of :shutup:

Pussy
25th May 2011, 21:26
Ya fuckin what?! :facepalm:

Dave's not here, man......

zeocen
25th May 2011, 21:29
Pipe with cat on the Predator just looks stupid though :( maybe not so bad on the cb600?

Well, I'll sheepishly admit I chose the cb600 over the Predator for many reasons, one of them was looks. :shutup:
But the cat is almost as bad, it looks like a torpedo but moreover it is actually quite dodgy if I'm parking on tall grass (seems to happen a lot for some reason) or anything that can reach the heat. Often I've come back with bits of grass smoking off on the cat :/

Grant`
25th May 2011, 21:37
Looks was not my main reason for purchase of my predator although since I have modified it to my own liking it has grown on me a lot.

The ride was big factor for me, I hopped off an ER-6n (also not the prettiest of bikes) on to it and it was like its bigger brother with identical handling and more power which was exactly what I was after, not to mention that at $15k a whole lot of bike for minimal outlay.