PDA

View Full Version : A rant - How NOT to filter through traffic in Ch-ch rush hour

willytheekid
1st April 2011, 09:46
Just wanted to send a little "hello" out to the kid on the scooter this morning (or anyone who knows him)....the one I had to pick up off the side of the road.:facepalm:

Watched this kid "mow" through traffic for over 5mins, he was cutting through cars, riding erratically & way to fast -(and he got no-where!).
The whole time Im thinking....here we go!...its gonna happen soon.
Sure enough, the Kid weaves hard left...gases it down the bike lane past the Q of 35kph cars....then one turned left into the side road.:shit:...BANG!!...its over.
I pulled up on PhatGirl to check on the Kid...hes got the wind knocked out of him and a smashed up scooter for all his "efforts"....and a VERY angry car driver standing over him!.
Advised the car driver to calm down and sort his insurance details out while I check the kid out for injuries (priorities!).
Got the Kid checked & on his feet, and what was left of the scooter off the road.....then I SLAPPED! him on the back of his head.
"Thats the difference between filtering through traffic....and being a FUCKING IDIOT!" I yelled....the kid looked like he was going to cry...the car driver smiled.....told the kid to wait for the cops and be thankful hes not like his scooter...DEAD!
But im just glad I was only late for work...and wasn't holding a dead or dying kid on the side of the road this morning :yes:

Please...Please!! ride safe in & around ChCh guys & girls, the traffic is extremely bad and there not using their familiar routes etc....and it shows!

Remember.....there panel damage...could be our life!

:love::love::love:

oneofsix
1st April 2011, 09:50
well handled

onearmedbandit
1st April 2011, 10:16
Yup very well handled. Due to the traffic my g/f is taking her 600 to work more often, lane splits virtually the entire way. I'm glad I hammered into her that it is HER responsibility to ensure it's done safely.

CookMySock
1st April 2011, 10:18
Good on you for giving him a whack and a telling off. Exactly what I'd have done if it was my kid.

Though in the end I think I would have said "right now lets get you out of here before the fucking pigs turn up." :woohoo:

sil3nt
1st April 2011, 10:19
I like to hit people across the head when they have just hit a car as well.

And the car drive should have used mirrors before pulling across a bike lane. Its amazing how many times i almost get hit cycling every day to class.

onearmedbandit
1st April 2011, 10:22
I like to hit people across the head when they have just hit a car as well.

And the car drive should have used mirrors before pulling across a bike lane. Its amazing how many times i almost get hit cycling every day to class.

Yeah stupid car driver, betcha he's hurting right about now. Oh no wait...

sil3nt
1st April 2011, 10:24
Yeah stupid car driver, betcha he's hurting right about now. Oh no wait...Im not blaming the car driver as scooter shouldn't have been there. But it seems if it was a cyclist there instead the car still would have turned because he didn't check his mirrors.

Actually are scooters allowed to use cycle lanes?

steelphoenix
1st April 2011, 10:31
Actually are scooters allowed to use cycle lanes?
Depends on local bylaws. Most of the time, yes. But I wouldn't do it at any kind of pace...

Thank god the kid was okay. :) Of course, I hope if they get another scoot they learn how to filter properly...

rastuscat
1st April 2011, 13:07
Depends on local bylaws.

No it doesn't. It's in the Road User Rule 2004. Mopeds can't use cycle lanes. Period.

Power assisted pedal cycles can, but they are rare.

So there.

Ocean1
1st April 2011, 13:09
No it doesn't. It's in the Road User Rule 2004. Mopeds can't use cycle lanes. Period.

So there.

Cool, I'm welding some of them thare pedals onto the Buell this weekend.

rastuscat
1st April 2011, 13:10
Cool, I'm welding some of them thare pedals onto the Buell this weekend.

Fitting pedals will work. The power rating has to be below 300 watts, but I see you have a Buell, you'll be fine.
:sick:

Usarka
1st April 2011, 14:13
Good on you for giving him a whack and a telling off. Exactly what I'd have done if it was my kid.

You whack your kid off? :blink:

racefactory
1st April 2011, 14:17
Another thing is- if you are going to lane split... make sure you have Wof and rego. Cops are running plates now during traffic hours and they will use the hard shoulder to collect tax money from you.

Animus
1st April 2011, 14:39
Fitting pedals will work. The power rating has to be below 300 watts, but I see you have a Buell, you'll be fine.

:laugh:

my friend just got a xb9sx as his first bike. He can't even get it out of second gear yet!!

HenryDorsetCase
1st April 2011, 14:42

ooooh BUUUURN.

:D :D

I have been scootering about a LOT since the quake, lane splitting and filtering like its going out of style but fuck you have to be careful. Years of commuting by bike and riding a motorbike have taught me that. And if the traffic is going at 35k, thats not so bad, wait till the next lights, filter up, gas and go (head check to make sure a mong isnt running the red....) you get clear air that way....

well handled, OP.

my commute nowadays is bedroom > bathroom > coffee machine > spare bedroom > computer on, here I am at work.

Its GREAT. why do I need an office, or staff again?

F5 Dave
1st April 2011, 14:44

my friend just got a xb9sx as his first bike. He can't even get it out of second gear yet!!
Yeah that would normally be a warranty job, but you'd probably get the 'yeah they all do that' speech & good luck getting it fixed.:innocent:

Animus
1st April 2011, 14:49
Yeah that would normally be a warranty job, but you'd probably get the 'yeah they all do that' speech & good luck getting it fixed.:innocent:

nah nah, I mean he can't get it out of second as in it is his first bike and every time he gives it gas it leaves his nuts behind

steelphoenix
1st April 2011, 14:51

So there.
Huh. Guess you learn something every day... :yes:

(I've seen everything from cyclists through mopeds to motorcycles and even cars using them, so... *shrug*)

nosebleed
1st April 2011, 15:49

So there.

Aye, mopeds are "motor assisted pedal cycles". Motor Pedal

F5 Dave
1st April 2011, 15:52
nah nah, I mean he can't get it out of second as in it is his first bike and every time he gives it gas it leaves his nuts behind
Ahh, yes they all vibrate badly. Big V-twin with poor primary balance & dubious build quality. I'm sure it sheds nuts, bolts & other vital equipment all the time. By 3rd gear enough crucial stuff has been unplugged or whatever to stop it running.

Ocean1
1st April 2011, 16:34

Oh I probably got more than 300 Wats, but I reckon it'll be OK if'n I just use one leg at a time.

Big V-twin with poor primary balance

They build 'em to suit riders with poor primary ballance, dude. 'Course, you got to make sure you don't get a northern hemisphere one, timing's all wrong.

rastuscat
3rd April 2011, 18:09
Aye, mopeds are "motor assisted pedal cycles". Motor Pedal

Yeah, sorry, I'm a bit of a geek at these things.

For a vehicle to be a power assisted pedal cycle, first it has to be a pedal cycle. Fitting pedals to something already a motorcycle makes no difference.

Like any of these Ezi Rider things, which are clearly a moped with pedals fitted.

Harumph.

zeocen
4th April 2011, 07:36
Is it possible for someone to film their daily commute in CHCH?

I'd personally be really interested to see how it is going there and how the traffic is doing. I've filmed my daily commute in Auckland which is a wholelotta filtering, with some commentary - I'd be interested to see the comparisons in driver behaviour!

willytheekid
4th April 2011, 12:28
Is it possible for someone to film their daily commute in CHCH?

I'd personally be really interested to see how it is going there and how the traffic is doing. I've filmed my daily commute in Auckland which is a wholelotta filtering, with some commentary - I'd be interested to see the comparisons in driver behaviour!

Sure thing :)...I can pop the helmet cam on and grab some footage for you....will take the central route for ya to look at. (I have found a different Route that is "slightly" less congested)
If I remember will do it tomorow :)

Blinkwing
4th April 2011, 15:13
Sure thing :)...I can pop the helmet cam on and grab some footage for you....will take the central route for ya to look at. (I have found a different Route that is "slightly" less congested)

Would be keen on seeing this video also.

zeocen
4th April 2011, 15:30

Thanks! !
Looking forward to see how it is compared to up here!

All in all I think the car drivers up here, by majority, are pretty easy going - a lot move over and accomodate you, community and police vehicles alike. There's the odd nutter who is having a bad day but all in all it's a pretty calm commute. Some of the riders on the other hand - that's a different story!

willytheekid
5th April 2011, 15:46

Thanks! !

All in all I think the car drivers up here, by majority, are pretty easy going - a lot move over and accomodate you, community and police vehicles alike. There's the odd nutter who is having a bad day but all in all it's a pretty calm commute. Some of the riders on the other hand - that's a different story!

Grabbed some footage of the run into work this morning (was pissing down tho) will check it tonight and load to youtube then post a link for ya's. :)
PS: No sound on the XC cam tho..just wind noise :( ...and hopfully the rain didnt block the lense...will check it out tonight

FastChk
7th April 2011, 10:27

Couldn"t have said it better myself....even if we're not in "the wrong" we're going to come off second best (clearly the scooter rider was in the wrong).... I just LOVE that it's dickheads like this that are gaining us responsible bikers out there a collective reputation!! Good on you for slapping the idiot

varminter
7th April 2011, 19:44
We only got cycle lanes in the safe bits, when it gets dodgy.. no lanes, so I take to the pavement. If the cops stop me I'll plead senility, sure to work. I feel heaps safer on the Strom than the push bike.

FJRider
7th April 2011, 19:54

He may well be if scooter kid has no insurance ... and has to explain it to the insurance coy ... :facepalm:

FJRider
7th April 2011, 19:58
You whack your kid off? :blink:

no supprises there ... :shutup:

FJRider
7th April 2011, 20:00

Tell him where the clutch is ... :yes:

FJRider
7th April 2011, 20:10
Couldn"t have said it better myself....even if we're not in "the wrong" we're going to come off second best (clearly the scooter rider was in the wrong).... I just LOVE that it's dickheads like this that are gaining us responsible bikers out there a collective reputation!! Good on you for slapping the idiot

The GOOD news is ... the bikers that "dont give a shit" ... are getting bad rep too ... :yes:

willytheekid
10th April 2011, 17:26

Thanks! !

He may well be if scooter kid has no insurance ... and has to explain it to the insurance coy ... :facepalm:

Sorry for the delay in posting...busy week!...and youtube takes FOREVER to upload lol.
ChCh northern highway traffic "flow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apalBtyb4pU
ps: please ignore the cheesy music lol...was in a hurry to edit, also check out my channel for bike vids and guzzi vids, some great watching! (been collecting for years on youtube)...enjoy! :)

Shadows
10th April 2011, 19:46
please ignore the cheesy music lol

Tom Petty? Cheesy? Blasphemer!

What time of morning was that?

willytheekid
10th April 2011, 19:59
Tom Petty? Cheesy? Blasphemer!

What time of morning was that?

Not the tom petty :not:...the portishead! :facepalm:
It was about 7 in the morning...and the traffic just got worse, that was just getting into belfast....its seriously screwing my clutch (stop...go...stop....go...)

schrodingers cat
10th April 2011, 20:12
ChCh northern highway traffic "flow"

8 minutes til you took any advantage of being on a bike.

Just saying.

willytheekid
10th April 2011, 20:48
8 minutes til you took any advantage of being on a bike.

Just saying.

"phatGirl"...any clues? (shes not a tf185 lol) and did you miss the title of this thread?...already picked one kid up off the road.
Plus with everyone using unfamiliar routes due to the quake the "Tin cans" are rather unpredictable presently...hence Im no hurry to risk myself or my ride.
But yeah...Im riding like a nana lately lol

Kickaha
10th April 2011, 20:49
Not the tom petty :not:...the portishead! :facepalm:
It was about 7 in the morning...and the traffic just got worse, that was just getting into belfast....its seriously screwing my clutch (stop...go...stop....go...)

I've found traffic is actually better about 7.15 ish, much later than that and it turns to shit again

Oakie
11th April 2011, 17:52
Pretty good traffic-wise on my ANZAC Drive commute. Decent traffic flow generally. Road itself can still cause excitment although I know where all the worst humps and hollows are now.

willytheekid
12th April 2011, 11:46
Update....one of the guys from work just got taken out by a cage :blink:

He's a very experianced rider and always rides safely (even uses a bright safety vest/jacket)....thank god he was on his scooter today and not his massive 1600cc crusier (dunno what make model etc...its big!...and a crusier).
Apparently car didn't even look, just pulled out straight into him :facepalm:.
He's alright though and even the scooter came off ok, Hes a big boy!...so were now worried about the condition of the car driver lol.

Once again....take care in this traffic KBers....2 down in under 2 weeks

Mystic13
13th April 2011, 10:24
Being an out of towner in Christchurch often, it's a real shocker down there. It's like driving in Auckland to a degree. I also notice a lot more car crashes. They're not used to sitting in traffic. Also noticed a big increase in road rage. There were two lanes of traffic merging due to a bordered off section of road and one guy going nuts on his horn and verbally because the car to his left was coming into his lane even though they were merging like a zip.

Drivers are getting impatient. In fact they're all getting impatient to a degree. Driving around Christchurch I don't see any road works going on. It looks like they filled all the holes with metal then stopped work. I hope that isn't the case.

With the pace of work it will be a long time before repairs are done.

I don't believe putting Gerry Bronwlee in charge was a smart move. You need someone who can make decisions, build and hire management and make the whole thing move.

Or are they waiting for aftershocks to subside before commencing?

oneofsix
13th April 2011, 10:33
Being an out of towner in Christchurch often, it's a real shocker down there. It's like driving in Auckland to a degree. I also notice a lot more car crashes. They're not used to sitting in traffic. Also noticed a big increase in road rage. There were two lanes of traffic merging due to a bordered off section of road and one guy going nuts on his horn and verbally because the car to his left was coming into his lane even though they were merging like a zip.

Drivers are getting impatient. In fact they're all getting impatient to a degree. Driving around Christchurch I don't see any road works going on. It looks like they filled all the holes with metal then stopped work. I hope that isn't the case.

I don't believe putting Gerry Bronwlee in charge was a smart move. You need someone who can make decisions, build and hire management and make the whole thing move.

Merging for people not used to it is an issue, there is an assumption by a few that the right lane has right of way. Found this talking to people in Palmy after moving there from Welly. Also the way some of the mergers were /are painted they assume the left lane stops so those on the left have to 'change lanes' into the right rather than noting that the lanes stop and have to merge. They therefore don't comprehend the phrase 'like a zip' especially where it is not specifically sign posted and assume that means the left lane has to wait.

oneofsix
13th April 2011, 10:44

Merging for people not used to it is an issue, there is an assumption by a few that the right lane has right of way. Found this talking to people in Palmy after moving there from Welly. Also the way some of the mergers were /are painted they assume the left lane stops so those on the left have to 'change lanes' into the right rather than noting that the lanes stop and have to merge. They therefore don't comprehend the phrase 'like a zip' especially where it is not specifically sign posted and assume that means the left lane has to wait.