PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX-R750 K11 - 30km test ride

slofox
1st April 2011, 11:32
I got to ride the new gixxer sem fiddy this morning, courtesy of Boyds...

Took the black one out - prefer that colour scheme to the traditional Suzuki blue.

Bear in mind that I currently ride a K8 600.

Sitting on the sem fiddy for the first time, it felt a little different (changes to the chassis I believe). A tad more forward and slightly higher above the screen than the K8 600 - almost a nudge towards the 675 Daytona position but no where near as extreme. Still quite comfortable. Wasn't quite the same "body suit" feel as the 600 but nice enough anyway. I could still get both feet down flat without trouble. Overall weight felt very similar to the 600 despite what the figures might say.

Start her up and putter out onto Te Rapa Road. This one had 150km on the clock so I wasn't going to push it too hard - especially since I had signed up for a $3000 excess if I stacked it...

First thing I notice is the induction noise. Loud! Makes the 600 sound like a pussycat purring.

First roundabout looms and I notice a slightly different feel in the handling as I poke it into the curve. Give it a bit of a push and it's more like what I am used to. Pays to be positive in the corners.

Out on the highway, a wee twist of the wrist (apologies to Mr Code for ripping off his title...) gets instant results. It's like a 600 on steroids. Prodigious torque down low and very available. That's the big difference between 600 and 750. No need to rev the nuts off it to get it to dig out. EDIT: And engine braking - heaps more engine braking on this one than the 600.

Up to Ngaruawahia and onto SH39 to head down to Te Kowhai through the sweepy corners. No different feelings in the handling now. It is very precise - just point and scoot. Rolls from one side to the other with sublime ease - just what I would expect from a gixxer. And squeeze that throttle and you're off. I didn't push it too high, being a new bike and all but there's heaps of pull from about 6k up and even yet more again round the 10k mark - which is where I limited it for the day. I reckon you could get into plenty of LEO trouble real quick if you wanted to - or if you were careless...

Ride was a little bumpy for me - suspension may be set up for someone with more weight than I have. I'd definitely want to tinker with that on this particular bike.

Induction noise IS very apparent even out on the highway. A little less when the revs are higher but still obvious even with earplugs in place. That's about the only thing I didn't like about it.

Idled it back to Boyds and handed back the keys.

Got back on the 600 and it felt underpowered - especially at lower revs. But that's 600's, eh...

Pity I don't have a spare $20,000 lying around...:angry:

mattian
1st April 2011, 11:39
Nice read. Interesting that an extra 150cc can make such a difference. Start saving mate...... you know you want it!.

slofox
1st April 2011, 11:47
Start saving mate...... you know you want it!.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO (=yesyesyesyesyesyesyes)

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

ducatilover
1st April 2011, 12:00
Lucky old bugger, can't go past a sem-fiddy really.
Unless you get a real bike that has two cylinders.

slofox
1st April 2011, 12:15

I had one of them once...

ducatilover
1st April 2011, 12:19
I had one of them once...

Me too (Had really cool Honda badging on it, both of them did in fact...)

Crasherfromwayback
1st April 2011, 12:22
Nice write up. Ours is arriving next week...I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Okey Dokey
1st April 2011, 12:25
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Good on you for treating a new bike gently, too :)

Eyegasm
1st April 2011, 13:23
Nice write up. Ours is arriving next week...I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Me too.

Although, Wait till later in the year when Suzuki put out there deals and I have my full before dumping coin on one.

george formby
1st April 2011, 13:32
Lucky old bugger, can't go past a sem-fiddy really.

Hark! He speaks the truth. Revere him.

The 750 is the only sprot bike that has really tempted me.

Gremlin
1st April 2011, 13:45
I seem to remember a thread a while ago about a 600 :whistle:

:devil2:

boman
1st April 2011, 14:32
Yes. 148hp. 190kg. In black. BPF. Brembos. Nice. Really tempting. Really...

:woohoo::innocent::shutup:

slofox
1st April 2011, 14:41
I seem to remember a thread a while ago about a 600 :whistle:

:devil2:

Yeah...but that was a YEAR ago...:innocent:

AllanB
1st April 2011, 15:08
20 grand :facepalm:

Maha
1st April 2011, 15:11
I heard once (by he who should know) that the GSXR 750 is the best sports bike for NZ's road conditions.

AllanB
1st April 2011, 15:14
I heard once (by he who should know) that the GSXR 750 is the best sports bike for NZ's road conditions.

Yeah but New Zealand riders are hung up over the size of their engines and spend a small amount extra on the thou even though they will never use it in anger.

Smifffy
1st April 2011, 16:01
I was perusing in Boyd's today too. Can't have missed you by much. Must have been the reason I couldn't get more than "G'day" out of any of the sales crew - they must have been too busy salivating over the prospect of selling that sem fiddy.

The folks across the road were all good and chatty though.

george formby
1st April 2011, 16:07

Ditto in Blighty. All the performance & handling & then some a mortal needs on pubic roads.

Not a direct quote but close to what James Whitham wrote about them.

Pussy
1st April 2011, 17:33
Small detail... it's an L1... no such K11 beast

Gremlin
2nd April 2011, 02:10
Yeah...but that was a YEAR ago...:innocent:
Ah, so you've already figured out how long you've owned that one?

Writing... wall... :yes:

Oh... and the 7fiddy is OK... I liked the grunt of the thou A LOT. Massive torque everywhere, massive power, kinda like a drug. I haven't ridden sportsbikes in the last 3 odd years tho, so engines have moved along. Only problem is exploiting the power of a thou only begins past the license loss point... bit of a killjoy that :(

slofox
2nd April 2011, 05:04
Ah, so you've already figured out how long you've owned that one?

Writing... wall... :yes:

Oh... and the 7fiddy is OK... I liked the grunt of the thou A LOT. Massive torque everywhere, massive power, kinda like a drug. I haven't ridden sportsbikes in the last 3 odd years tho, so engines have moved along. Only problem is exploiting the power of a thou only begins past the license loss point... bit of a killjoy that :(

I did take a thou out for a run a few months ago but decided it was "barking mad" as your signature quote says. It also had obviously more mass to deal with. I have always ridden quite light bikes so preferred the 600 at that time.

The sem fiddy seems to be the best of both worlds. If I'd had the coin when I bought the 600 I would've gone for a sem fiddy.

Fact of the matter is that I am pretty broke right now so can't even entertain the idea of another change. Just sold my house and am having to buy down market...hate that. Will probably have to buy some shit hole and spend a bit of money fixing it up...

Regarding exploiting the power of a thou, even the 600 does 170ish at red line in 2nd gear (DAMHIK)...to run it on the road in the power band you'd need to travel in first most of the time...assuming you want to stay legal that is...:whistle:

ducatilover
2nd April 2011, 09:55
Fuck it all, SLOFOX, let's rob a bank, I could do with an 848 as an ornament and a sem-fiddy as a real bike.
I've ridden a k5 anniversary sem-fiddy, had a PCM and some tasty can, leo-vince? I thought that was just the tits, it's where it's at. Comfy and fucking faster than i need, perfect. :love: (Just a shame it's not a V4)

slofox
2nd April 2011, 12:44
Fuck it all, SLOFOX, let's rob a bank,

WHAT a good idea - we could rob the bastards that are making me sell my house! That'll learn 'em!

ducatilover
2nd April 2011, 12:45
WHAT a good idea - we could rob the bastards that are making me sell my house! That'll learn 'em!

Karma! Or Korma? Mmmm korma....

SVboy
4th April 2011, 10:17
Interesting: I love my k9 750-esp with one less tooth on the front sprocket-SLOFOX-try -1f plus 2R on your 600-instant new bike!! My mate has a K9 1000 and is finding it hard to reconcile BPF with shitty nz roads. Are BPF just better on the track?

DMNTD
4th April 2011, 11:11

Indeed it is IMO

slofox
4th April 2011, 11:27
Interesting: I love my k9 750-esp with one less tooth on the front sprocket-SLOFOX-try -1f plus 2R on your 600-instant new bike!! My mate has a K9 1000 and is finding it hard to reconcile BPF with shitty nz roads. Are BPF just better on the track?

After blasting over the hill to Raglan and back yesterday morning to (coughcough) "scrub in the tyres" :whistle: I decided I like it just the way it is. Even managed to shave a minute off the return time despite a few traffic snarls on the uphill...:devil2:

Edbear
4th April 2011, 11:33
IMHO it's the best sprots bike ever, period! :sunny:

Pussy
4th April 2011, 11:35
Interesting: My mate has a K9 1000 and is finding it hard to reconcile BPF with shitty nz roads. Are BPF just better on the track?
Depends on what your personal preference is. I like the feel of the BPF on the K9-L1 Gixxer 1000. It's not TOO expensive to have the piston changed for a Racetech one, there is a lot more port area then.

Edbear
4th April 2011, 12:18
Karma! Or Korma? Mmmm korma....

Beef Korma..... :love:

ducatilover
4th April 2011, 12:53
Beef Korma..... :love:

Good call!