PDA

View Full Version : The new MAG-NZ

MAG-NZ Inc
2nd April 2011, 17:39
The Motorcycle Action Group of New Zealand (MAG-NZ) has recently gone through some changes, we are now focused on becoming a group guided and driven by its members. The committee’s main purpose is now to ensure that members have the best opportunity to change motorcycling in New Zealand for the better. Whether you want to; protest legislation/taxation, promote safer riding practices, lobby for better road conditions/rules, or something else entirely, as long as your action complies with our rules/guidelines we are behind you all the way. All our members are expected to initiate or participate in these actions.

As bikers we need to take action to halt the erosion of our right to swing a leg over the bike and just ride. Consistent lobbying or writing submissions is taking action for some people, others will want to organise or join demonstration rides. Both types of action are important and needed; if the lobbying and the submissions don’t produce the right result on a particular issue then it’s time to ride and create some noise.

MAG-NZ has one over arching theme. We are not ANTI anything, we are PRO biker.

We can look at how we achieve our aims in 2 ways, positive and negative actions. The point here is that we must not assign moral values to the words positive and negative, positive simply means we add something (or advocate for an addition, for instance the training that Peter has instigated in Christchurch) or we wish to have something removed (negative) for example the ACC levies. In the long run, we would for the most part like to have actions geared towards the positive. The addition of decent, sensible roading schemes, motorcycles recognised and rewarded for less congestion, reduced material costs per vehicle build, road repairs etc etc..... but we have to advocate and action negative stances, removal of ACC levies, MSL, day glo uniforms, ABS, compulsory training... That stance, involves disruptive action, as we are pushing to have established (or expected) positions re thought and removed. Without the removal of the above (or a focus on negative action) we may never get a chance to be in a position to advocate positive action...it will all be gone. It will simply be too late!

MAG-NZ is all about active membership. Take control, campaign on issues that are important to you and become an action coordinator. You have the ability and the right to grab the reigns, fly the flag and coordinate all aspects of the action, from recruiting a team to managing the de brief. You can us the member’s forum to drum up support and get the assistance that you need from like-minded people.

Is there an issue that is bugging you right now? There are some guidelines to help you get some action underway. If you want any further information or help you can email us too.

Guidelines for Members:

MAG-NZ members wishing to form themselves into local groups should so and may use the initials ‘MAG-NZ’ in their title, and may describe their groups by reference to the locality in whichthey are formed, provided that;

(a) They agree to adopt and abide by a set of model rules drawn up by the NC and endorsed
by the National Group Conference.
(b) Their activities are in accordance with MAG-NZ's rules. Action plan details to be put on the MAG-NZ forum in advance to give the president a chance to veto if they do not comply (plans with sensitive details can be submitted directly to the president).
(c) Funds raised by such groups are raised for purposes in accordance with MAG-NZ’s
constitution, objectives and principles.

Local members’ groups shall be permitted, and are expected to undertake the following activities:
(a) Lobbying or protesting on matters of concern to motorcyclists.
(b) Social activities and events.
(c) The raising of money for donation to local and national charities.
(d) The raising of money for donation to MAG-NZ’s national fund.
(e) The raising of money to spend locally on purposes in accordance with MAG-NZ’s
constitution, objectives and principles.
(f) Each member should post what they would be interested in helping with in the regional helper threads to make actions easier to co-ordinate.

MAG-NZ will not liable for any losses of any sort howsoever occasioned by local or regional groups of MAG-NZ members. Local groups shall be responsible for all events organised and transactions entered into by them.

Maha
2nd April 2011, 17:44
I have two flags here and pamphlets and badges if you want them.
$40 for the flags, the rest is free...:yes:
If MAG does not want the flags all good.

chasio
2nd April 2011, 19:52
Thanks Maha - dibs on one of those flags, please :)

Maha
2nd April 2011, 20:33
Thanks Maha - dibs on one of those flags, please :)

Good as gold Neil, if you are every out and about with the top box on giza yodel and maybe you take the other bits and pieces?

Hitcher
2nd April 2011, 21:39
Good luck with that. I shall observe your progress with interest.

bogan
3rd April 2011, 20:49
Bit of a bump/re-iterate.

We're here for motorcycling, we're here to get shit done, and we're here to help others get shit done. We just need to get people to realise that they can join up and get help with all different types of action (protests, rider education, charity rides, etc). And the more that join is the more help we can give! As an added bonus the nay-saying and knocking etc which causes some ideas to lose momentum will not be tolerated on the MAG-NZ member forums.

Maha
3rd April 2011, 20:59
Bump for the badges and pamphlets, bit of money out-laid for these items when purchased, you guys sure you dont want them?

bogan
4th April 2011, 07:24
Bump for the badges and pamphlets, bit of money out-laid for these items when purchased, you guys sure you don't want them?

PM sent, 10 char

Hitcher
4th April 2011, 11:01
As an added bonus the nay-saying and knocking etc which causes some ideas to lose momentum will not be tolerated on the MAG-NZ member forums.

So all will be OK then as long as MAG-NZ's rank and file agree with everything the leadership suggests? Sounds like a great idea for a vibrant and active organisation. Good luck with that too.

bogan
4th April 2011, 11:10
So all will be OK then as long as MAG-NZ's rank and file agree with everything the leadership suggests? Sounds like a great idea for a vibrant and active organisation. Good luck with that too.

It's not like that at all, MAG-NZ's 'rank and file' have great freedom to do what they think is best, and the leadership and other members will support them where possible/required. It's member up, not leadership down. That is the idea behind getting a vibrant and active organisation.

Hitcher
4th April 2011, 20:30
It's not like that at all, MAG-NZ's 'rank and file' have great freedom to do what they think is best, and the leadership and other members will support them where possible/required. It's member up, not leadership down. That is the idea behind getting a vibrant and active organisation.

So what's the difference between that and "nay-saying" and "knocking"?

bogan
4th April 2011, 20:35
So what's the difference between that and "nay-saying" and "knocking"?

I don't understand the question, can you clarify? I can't see anything in that description that is even remotely similar to naysaying or knocking.

Nasty
4th April 2011, 21:33

Interesting to here ... btw what is Mags leadership .. you website is rather sparse on details and as this isthe "new" Mag nz it would be good to know.

jellywrestler
4th April 2011, 21:54
So what's MAG's opinion on this http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/135550-Lethal-road-marking-practice-be-warned
glass beads on the road...

bogan
4th April 2011, 22:00
Interesting to here ... btw what is Mags leadership .. you website is rather sparse on details and as this isthe "new" Mag nz it would be good to know.

Fair enough question too. Well we have general committee members, and people in named roles; pres, vice pres, secretary, and treasurer. Go to the mag-rag part of the website, as the latest issue explains things better than I can. We are also looking for volunteers to become regional coordinators.

bogan
4th April 2011, 22:10
So what's MAG's opinion on this http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/135550-Lethal-road-marking-practice-be-warned
glass beads on the road...

Well we have a report a road campaign (looking for web dev guys to spruce it up a bit), the idea being to report any unsafe bits of road to the appropriate authorities. However that stuff is a level beyond that imo, I'm sure our members would support any action taken to ensure his sort of crap is at least cleaned off the road when the cones are removed.

This is actually the sort of thing we are gearing up for, someone sees something that needs doing, then follows it through, getting any help needed along the way. I commend your efforts so far :niceone:, and if you need our help with any of it, just let us know.

Sorry I'm a bit busy atm to read through it fully, but PM me a summary and I'll see if there is anything we can do.

Virago
4th April 2011, 22:38
...As an added bonus the nay-saying and knocking etc which causes some ideas to lose momentum will not be tolerated on the MAG-NZ member forums.

I too find such a statement to be rather concerning. It basically says that there will be no dissention, which I consider rather repugnant.

I already have grave misgivings about a campaign that is being conducted in the name of MAG-NZ. Is it okay to express such concerns, or does that mean I'll be out on my arse?

bogan
4th April 2011, 23:16
I too find such a statement to be rather concerning. It basically says that there will be no dissention, which I consider rather repugnant.

I already have grave misgivings about a campaign that is being conducted in the name of MAG-NZ. Is it okay to express such concerns, or does that mean I'll be out on my arse?

At the end of the day, it'll be the person who initiates the action idea that gets to say how it goes. This may mean that what gets done doesn't please everyone, but it will mean shit gets done! For those who do not agree with an action, they do not have to support it, so there will be dissension. If an action coordinator asks for help, those who disagree should explain the reasons why they have chosen not to.

In retrospect my comment was not in the best context, the point I was aiming to make was that action threads will stay productive and on topic, that the forum is a place for those who want to make a difference and are willing to have a go. I apologise if my comments have lead to some confusion.

Hitcher
5th April 2011, 10:39
To me this smells a bit like a bunch of idealists trying to pursue individual agendas under the guise of being a representative organisation. Active engagement with members and with the wider "community" ultimately decides the success or otherwise of any membership based organisation. Good luck with that.

bogan
5th April 2011, 11:56
To me this smells a bit like a bunch of idealists trying to pursue individual agendas under the guise of being a representative organisation. Active engagement with members and with the wider "community" ultimately decides the success or otherwise of any membership based organisation. Good luck with that.

That's way out of line, I have no idea how you come to the conclusion about individual agendas, and the whole thing is set up to encourage members to be active.
If you want to have a serious discussion, please explain how you get to these conclusions you keep posting.

Pixie
5th April 2011, 12:19
That's way out of line, I have no idea how you come to the conclusion about individual agendas, and the whole thing is set up to encourage members to be active.
If you want to have a serious discussion, please explain how you get to these conclusions you keep posting.
Just don't reply,it's a waste of pixels

Maha
6th April 2011, 14:50

The top four postions have recently been vacated...what was the ''old'' MAG, along with numerous (about six from memory) other founding members who have also stepped away...enter the ''new' MAG...:corn:

I find this bit confusing....'It's member up, not leadership down'
Thats a new catch phrase from when I was there.

CookMySock
6th April 2011, 16:36
I find this bit confusing....'It's member up, not leadership down'
Thats a new catch phrase from when I was there.Sounds like a good idea. How would MAG help members who wanted to stick it to the fuzz and the legal system?

Maha
6th April 2011, 16:39
Sounds like a good idea. How would MAG help members who wanted to stick it to the fuzz and the legal system?

Best ask someone who knows...:yes:
They are not an angry lot though, more into writing letters to local MP's and local authorities.

bogan
6th April 2011, 17:23
Sounds like a good idea. How would MAG help members who wanted to stick it to the fuzz and the legal system?

If you just want to piss off the fuzz or legal system in general, we won't help there. But if it's a more specific issue, let us know and we will see what we can do.

Voltaire
6th April 2011, 18:57

Parking outside the Edgecombe Police Station with Greensleeves blaring ought to do it.:innocent:

Mom
6th April 2011, 19:36

That is a bit harsh Hitcher, in my experience of MAG-NZ there was not one ego to be found. It is a bunch of very honest, sincere, passionate people who share a vision.

Nasty
6th April 2011, 20:01
...As an added bonus the nay-saying and knocking etc which causes some ideas to lose momentum will not be tolerated on the MAG-NZ member forums.

hmmm sounds interesting ... almost like KB .. if you saying something that is not liked yup you are out on your arse ... an interesting way to promote discussion and informed decision making.

bogan
6th April 2011, 20:08
hmmm sounds interesting ... almost like KB .. if you saying something that is not liked yup you are out on your arse ... an interesting way to promote discussion and informed decision making.

see post #18 as I hope that clears up the confusion.

Ronin
6th April 2011, 20:14
The important issue that isn't being discussed is why the big change? IMHO Mag has gone from something I would consider supporting to being no better, if not worse, than BRONZ.

bogan
6th April 2011, 20:28
The important issue that isn't being discussed is why the big change? IMHO Mag has gone from something I would consider supporting to being no better, if not worse, than BRONZ.

We feel this format is better suited to promote action through member driven initiatives and active member participation.

Ronin
6th April 2011, 20:33
We feel this format is better suited to promote action through member driven initiatives and active member participation.

Very politically put.

That's not a good thing.

bogan
6th April 2011, 20:44
Very politically put.

That's not a good thing.

Depends how you look at it, if people only judge the delivery poorly rather than the content, it can be a good thing :sunny:

Actually a lot of it is like that, if you look to pick holes in things, you will probably find em. But try looking instead for the positive aspects, in time they will be what MAG-NZ are known for :yes:

Maha
7th April 2011, 07:05
Very politically put.

That's not a good thing.

Translation: They are not interested in taking any form of 'out there' action...period.
Ask not what MAG can do for you but what you can do for MAG

Katman
7th April 2011, 22:55
Depends how you look at it, if people only judge the delivery poorly rather than the content, it can be a good thing :sunny:

I live in hope.

Pixie
9th April 2011, 10:04

The only problems with MAG, BRONZ or any similar organisation in New Zealand is that it is in New Zealand.None of you deadshits will get of your arses and stand up for your rights or lifestyle as the English,French or Israeli bikers have done ,sometimes more than once in recent years.
Fucking "she'll be right attitude" ain't worth shit.

JohnR
9th April 2011, 11:14
The only problems with MAG, BRONZ or any similar organisation in New Zealand is that it is in New Zealand.None of you deadshits will get of your arses and stand up for your rights or lifestyle as the English,French or Israeli bikers have done ,sometimes more than once in recent years.
Fucking "she'll be right attitude" ain't worth shit.

Human nature I'm afraid. Particularly in NZ.

Typical "putting the world to right" conversation goes:
"This is unacceptable" "Something must be done" "Who's going to do it?" "Someone should start an action group" "Yeah stick it to TPTB I say!"

4-6 months later, same scene:
"Joined BRONZ/MAGNZ yet" "Thought about it but those tossers are useless" "Not doing what I reckon they should" "Got some lame ideas and no guts" "SOMEONE ELSE could do much better" etc.

Unfortunately folk are not willing to get involved, will bash those that do, but are happy to benefit from any gains made.

MSTRS
9th April 2011, 11:57
Organisations have 4 kinds of bones...
Jawbones - who do nothing but talk
Knucklebones - who do nothing but knock
Wishbones - who hope someone else will do something
Backbones - who do ALL the work

Maha
9th April 2011, 16:39

"This is unacceptable" "Something must be done" "Who's going to do it?" "Someone should start an action group" "Yeah stick it to TPTB I say!"

"Joined BRONZ/MAGNZ yet" "Thought about it but those tossers are useless" "Not doing what I reckon they should" "Got some lame ideas and no guts" "SOMEONE ELSE could do much better" etc.
Unfortunately folk are not willing to get involved, will bash those that do, but are happy to benefit from any gains made.

The irony is that MAG was formed primarily around this notion.
The AAG (Auckland Action Group) was colated first up, I guess in support of BRONZ in a way, we were not against them at all. The AAG got off thier arses and organised 4-5 protest rides over about 9-10 months or so, the biggest being about 360 bikes on the Motorway.
All or any of those ride will have been forgotten about now, apart from those whowere on/involved with them.
Key is, keep at it and the recognition will come.
Same with BRONZ...and the BIKOI...should have kept at it, even the Pollies would agree with that.
That all stopped when MAG was formed, it became apparent real quick that any sort of protest action was not a happening thing, I know because I tried to get it happening.
Because of my eventual 'knucklebone' attitude, I was locked out.
Have yet to resign officially.
Thats how a caucus works aint it, any knockers get the boot?

Fatt Max
9th April 2011, 22:14
, any knockers get the boot?

Knockers.......the more the merrier as far as I am concerned.......jublee...

Winston001
10th April 2011, 20:10

Yes you put your finger on it.

But any voluntary organisation struggles in New Zealand because of our small population. Jaycees, Round Table, even Lions clubs are fading and the only service organisation which is still strong is Rotary. Sports clubs have the same problems.

Motorcyclists tend to be individualistic people and do not conform to rules. Organising us will never be easy.

bogan
10th April 2011, 20:35

Which is why we have tried to get away from the traditional committee led structure, and go for one set up to make it easy for members to initiate and get support for actions. Many self motivated bikers to follow through on their own initiatives, and many motivated bikers willing to lend support.

Maha
23rd June 2011, 11:07
Anyone going to the MAG AGM on July 6th?
I have a bag of stuff here which I have tried unsuccessfully to return.
Stuff includes Badges/Bussiness cards/flags/printed flyers etc.

Ratti
24th June 2011, 12:15
Yes you put your finger on it.

But any voluntary organisation struggles in New Zealand because of our small population. Jaycees, Round Table, even Lions clubs are fading and the only service organisation which is still strong is Rotary. Sports clubs have the same problems.

Motorcyclists tend to be individualistic people and do not conform to rules. Organising us will never be easy.

You've fricken got BOTH of those issues right.
Been involved with all sorts of groups at committee level and it's just plain hard work, and you would not believe the bitching that other people think is ok to let rip with, but without anything to offer in the way of solutions or sweat.
And as for organising bikers? I'd rather herd chickens, at least I can poke them with a stick and eventually get them to where they want to go.

Maha
24th June 2011, 14:23

Looks like I may to take it all to the meeting myself, what time is the tea break and can we vote by proxy?

avgas
24th June 2011, 15:41
We need a parade. With streamers and marching band.

James Deuce
24th June 2011, 16:43
And pink hand bags and backless chaps and FAAABULOUS hair.

PrincessBandit
24th June 2011, 16:45
And as for organising bikers? I'd rather herd chickens, at least I can poke them with a stick and eventually get them to where they want to go.

And you can eat the little buggers as well!

Ratti
24th June 2011, 17:29
I like the idea of a street parade. Has possibilities. You kno there are circles of 'friends' where biker gear is definatly desirable?

caseye
24th June 2011, 21:19
Stop it Ratti, they'll all want one of your whips if yer knot careful.

Ratti
25th June 2011, 12:55
No spares at the moment, do you still have yours?

caseye
25th June 2011, 17:30
Of Course!:lol:Hasn't broke yet.:killingme.
Bit of a bump for the lads, whats'a happening?

Maha
27th June 2011, 18:13

I had a closer look, in addition theres also $150 in cash and a mega-phone and a Mag T Shirt size XL.
EDIT: Money now spent but the rest of the stuff is here to collect?...anyone?

Maha
1st August 2011, 14:59
Which is why we have tried to get away from the traditional committee led structure, and go for one set up to make it easy for members to initiate and get support for actions. Many self motivated bikers to follow through on their own initiatives, and many motivated bikers willing to lend support.

John can you let it be known about this gear we have here that belongs to mag?
Neil pm'd a couple of time ages ago about collecting it but hasn't.
I will be going past Doms place on Saturday morning, I could always drop in it off if thats ok?

GrayWolf
12th November 2011, 16:00
Well we have a report a road campaign (looking for web dev guys to spruce it up a bit), the idea being to report any unsafe bits of road to the appropriate authorities. However that stuff is a level beyond that imo, I'm sure our members would support any action taken to ensure his sort of crap is at least cleaned off the road when the cones are removed.

This is actually the sort of thing we are gearing up for, someone sees something that needs doing, then follows it through, getting any help needed along the way. I commend your efforts so far :niceone:, and if you need our help with any of it, just let us know.

Sorry I'm a bit busy atm to read through it fully, but PM me a summary and I'll see if there is anything we can do.

Sorry this isnt a thread hijack, but reading this post, there is a recent road modification that was really done with ZERO motorcycle safety/ road use considered.
The new roundabout at the bottom of the bell road, Wainui' hill off ramp/exit junction, This was/is a T intersection where the major road turned 90deg's to the left, and the minor road was in efffect a 'straight on' right turn. Apologies if the description confuses anyone... but it is accurate. The powers that be in their wisdom decided a roundabout was a good? idea. Yes I can see some logic to this T junction's obvious problems. However, the solution? Is extremely poorly planned. The minor road is quite narrow, so the roundabout has been 'offset'. This leaves the carriageway coming down the wainui exit and turning 'right' into Bell road narrowed to some extent. This in itself is not a terrible inconvenience, (but any motorcyclist using this roundabout will have already found it is a sharp turn requiring low speed to negotiate) what is amazingly STUPID is the very large and I mean LARGE square metal manhole cover that projects across about half of this narrow carriageway. In, wet conditions and or the advent of Deisel on the roundabout (which will be highly probable as this is an industrial area and a couple of freight companies 'reside' in the area) the only tarmac surface is between the roundabout itself and this manhole cover..... I think you can now build up a possible scenario of wet metal + deisel spilt on the road ???
At the very least I think that a non slip cover should have been used, or maybe on of the heavy covers that can be covered in roading material?
The roundabout is so big for the size of the 'T' junction even lorries are having trouble negotiating it, and I have seen them 'mount' the roundabout to get past it... yeh full tank, and poorly fitting cap??

caseye
12th November 2011, 17:56
Can I boldly suggest that having come this far you personally take charge of this issue and pursue it with the relevant authorities.
I kid you not, if presented with the right attitude and information you could well have a successful result from raising this matter..
I or one of the many who have gone before might once have taken you in hand and gone forward to do battle with said authorities but we've all had a dose of Biker apathy and are these days quite shy of public ridicule and posturing from our own.
So let us know what happens.

chasio
12th November 2011, 18:27
What Cas said.

You could try this: http://fixmystreet.org.nz/ as a means of having it logged.

But a polite and determined approach directly to the council (or the local ACC road safety person) may well prove to be more effective.

Go for it!

Ratti
14th November 2011, 14:16
get hold of JIm via http://www.ulysses.org.nz/wellington/
He is on MSAC and works at LTSA. He will know exactly who to contact to make a statement about that roundabout.
ANd yes, I know the road you mean and they shoulda just left the flippin thing alone

Bald Eagle
14th November 2011, 15:05
Maybe it was a deliberate ploy to keep people from coming 'out' of the valley beyond