PDA

View Full Version : A new low in motorcycling behaviour

toycollector10
2nd April 2011, 17:55
Today, Saturday the 2nd of April, Maidstone Road, Christchurch at approximately 5PM. Three young men on a red motorcycle. Rider has a helmet but a shirt and shorts only, that is, nothing on his feet. Behind him, two guys without helmets, only shorts, jandals etc. A great joke for the three of them. I lost them when they turned down a pedestrian walkway. Why do I care? Do I care?

TOTO
2nd April 2011, 17:57
Did they wave ?

Bonez
2nd April 2011, 18:02
Was the helmet on the right way?

Mom
2nd April 2011, 18:02
I once rode behind a bloke on a bike that had no pillion seat or pegs. I was wearing jandals and shorts etc... I also had a "duffel bag" of big brown bottles on my back. He wheelied and I came off...

He laughed! I was pisssed off! We were young and dumb!

Meh!

awa355
2nd April 2011, 18:10
When the three idiots arse off, the powers that be will still point the finger at us, describing them as motorcyclists.

spookytooth
2nd April 2011, 18:16
When the three idiots arse off, the powers that be will still point the finger at us, describing them as motorcyclists.
glad im not part of this us bullshit then

Kickaha
2nd April 2011, 19:43

You mean "if" they arse off

Are people really that dumb that they think you will automatically crash if you don't wear protective gear?

monkeymcbean
2nd April 2011, 20:53
I personally like to wear 'all the gear all the time' but I don't get my knickers in a twist when I see people who don't, for various reasons.
However I do remember being 'gobsmacked' at seeing helmet-less, jacket-less motorbike riders caneing it down motorways at high speeds in the U.S.
Some wore the armoured jackets...and not the helmet, looked like peanut heads.

Usarka
2nd April 2011, 21:18
Meh I've ridden a motorbike with four pillions. Seriously.

Oblivion
2nd April 2011, 21:32
I personally like to wear 'all the gear all the time' but I don't get my knickers in a twist when I see people who don't, for various reasons.
However I do remember being 'gobsmacked' at seeing helmet-less, jacket-less motorbike riders caneing it down motorways at high speeds in the U.S.
Some wore the armoured jackets...and not the helmet, looked like peanut heads.

I go by what I think is right most of the time.

Usually I make it that if, Either, I ride in highly congested areas, or will exceed a speed of greater than 50ks, I will wear gear.

If its something like a quick wizz up to the shops then I wont bother with gear.

DangerMice
2nd April 2011, 21:33
you're probably just pissed it was a bike and not a scooter....

Dadpole
2nd April 2011, 21:46

Wellington? Early seventies? suzuki AC50? Heading for the Cricketers Arms? If so, we were on the same bike...

gammaguy
2nd April 2011, 22:00
You mean "if" they arse off

Are people really that dumb that they think you will automatically crash if you don't wear protective gear?

it works like this:

dumb enough not to wear gear=dumb enough to crash

simple really.

Taz
2nd April 2011, 22:03
:whocares: Seriously? Get a life.

Kickaha
2nd April 2011, 22:10
it works like this:

dumb enough not to wear gear=dumb enough to crash

simple really.

Rubbish I've been "dumb" enough not to wear full gear plenty of times without incident, wearing full gear though I've had the odd accident or two, so going by my own statistics I'm safer without it :finger:

gammaguy
2nd April 2011, 22:12
Rubbish I've been "dumb" enough not to wear full gear plenty of times without incident, wearing full gear though I've had the odd accident or two, so going by my own statistics I'm safer without it :finger:

sadly,most statistics are based on the experiences of more than one individual,and most government policy is based upon statistics.

hence of course,the department of statistics and the awesome power it wields.

meteor
2nd April 2011, 22:13
Saw 2 young girls, maybe 16ish, on a scooter on a busy arterial in short shorts and T shirts. The pillion had no where to put her jandal'd feet so they just hung out to the sides :facepalm: but at least she was wearing a helmet... a pushbike helmet! FFS people?!

Usarka
2nd April 2011, 22:23
I saw a chick on a scooter in really really short shorts. She was hot!

sadly,most statistics are based on the experiences of more than one individual,and most government policy is based upon statistics.

hence of course,the department of statistics and the awesome power it wields.

Lay off the crack or show us the statistics that show a correlation between crashes and the amount of safety gear being worn.

Berries
2nd April 2011, 23:20
sadly,most statistics are based on the experiences of more than one individual,and most government policy is based upon statistics
Sadly, what you are wearing isn't recorded at the crash scene, unless you snuff it.

gammaguy
3rd April 2011, 01:50
I saw a chick on a scooter in really really short shorts. She was hot!

Lay off the crack or show us the statistics that show a correlation between crashes and the amount of safety gear being worn.

ummmmmmmm....dont do drugs thanks.well hung has a different meaning here:gob:

ask any govt statistics person what they think about the cost of ACC relating to the gear a rider does or does not wear.

i dont have to justify my comments,the facts speak for themselves.

course if they discontinue the ACC scheme the govt would cease to care how much it all costs right?

Kickaha
3rd April 2011, 06:36
i dont have to justify my comments,the facts speak for themselves.

You sure you don't mean "I can't justify my comments because i don't have the facts"?

Once a month or so the same crap gets trotted out about how someone saw some guys not wearing all the gear and how they cost us in ACC but I've yet to see anyone put up solid proof

thepom
3rd April 2011, 07:10
i like hot chicks on scooters but sadly most of the christchurch girls are fat pie eating munters.....unlike welly where there are lots of slim pretty ones....oh and Hamilton too....

crazyhorse
3rd April 2011, 07:30
I'm actually astounded with the amount of riders - well, guess thats what they'd call themselves, out there riding a motorcycle in shorts and tee-shirts.

These guys just have no sense at all, yet they carry on doing it. Sure, when its hot, who wants to get all kitted out - but thats not what ridings about, whether its to work or not, cover up and protect yourselves, and be safe

Usarka
3rd April 2011, 07:32
Just like sex! Except it's much more fun (and risky) when you don't!

Kickaha
3rd April 2011, 07:34
These guys just have no sense at all, yet they carry on doing it. Sure, when its hot, who wants to get all kitted out - but thats not what ridings about, whether its to work or not, cover up and protect yourselves, and be safe

I know it seems to be contrary to popular belief but you can be safe without wearing protective gear

Usarka
3rd April 2011, 07:35
I know it seems to be contrary to popular belief but you can be safe without wearing protective gear

No no the stats back it up that it's bad and dangerous, just ask someone in ACC or the government - they won't be able to show you any figures, but they do know! :yes: :facepalm:

Voltaire
3rd April 2011, 07:39
I hired out a K100 once in Thailand for a day up Chaing Mai...we.had all the gear....it was hot....got overtaken by a bike two up and they had no helmets or nothing...and they were doing over 100 kmph.Got funny looks from the locals with all that leather....... by the way you can get the whole family on a bike in Thailand and lots of rice..... maybe they were from Thailand?

Hey Kickaha, that was a good piccy of you doing a jump over a street in ChCh....post it up here.....give the PC brigade something to chew on....:innocent:

Genie
3rd April 2011, 07:40
I don't think this is 'new' at all, folks been larikins on bikes since bikes were first invented....it all just keeps repeating over and over....and then just when you think it's over....someone younger comes along and does it all again.....:lol: :killingme

Flip
3rd April 2011, 08:25
I took 2 people to the pub Wednesday last week on my bike:innocent:. There are fuck all cops around at the moment, and few have their ticket books on them, the rozza have better things to do than do traffic work in Chch:violin:.

Don't worry what other folk do, you are not responsible for their bahaviour.:yes:

awayatc
3rd April 2011, 08:53
some posters on here seem to have been spawned boring adults and obviously don't know that some of "us" were young and stupid at least once.....

Woodman
3rd April 2011, 09:21
some posters on here seem to have been spawned boring adults and obviously don't know that some of "us" were young and stupid at least once.....

eggzacary. I wish I was young again too, but i don't resent others being that way.

marty
3rd April 2011, 09:56
I took 2 people to the pub Wednesday last week on my bike:innocent:. There are fuck all cops around at the moment, and few have their ticket books on them, the rozza have better things to do than do traffic work in Chch:violin:.

Don't worry what other folk do, you are not responsible for their bahaviour.:yes:

not for long. there is a posse of Highway and STU cops coming down to catch up the Canterbury quota very soon - out of towners don't give a toss about who they make cry - and the local boys can blame it on the out of towners.

carver
3rd April 2011, 10:06
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gAmdVE89-VI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

we reached new highs when making this stuff

Big Dave
3rd April 2011, 12:06

I'm still stupid and don't give a fuck. Errrr.... :-)

FJRider
3rd April 2011, 12:08
we reached new highs when making this stuff

and new low's by re-posting it ...

ellipsis
3rd April 2011, 12:27
...I cant actually remember any leather jackets or pants being owned by mates/acquaintances back in the 70's...unless you were in a patched club...riding boots were thin on the ground...brakes were fairly non existant...a large amount of us were pissed and stoned 60% of the time and running from the law was unheard of...they didn't seem to chase you...and the HQ gear linkages were just as bad on cop cars as anybody elses...three up , half pissed getting to a party or the beach seemed a sensible utilisation of the last 6 inches of the seat...we fell off a fair bit too...

Big Dave
3rd April 2011, 12:54
Really? I dressed the same in the 70's as I do now. 'cept these days the jeans are made of leather too.

I do miss the Mullet however.

Grumph
3rd April 2011, 14:24
And some here are old enough to have started riding when you only had to wear a helmet if you went more than 30mph....and survived.

Nothing new on the road...only 3 on the bike ?....pikers.

Katman
3rd April 2011, 14:56
I'm actually astounded with the amount of riders - well, guess thats what they'd call themselves, out there riding a motorcycle in shorts and tee-shirts.

Riding in a responsible manner (with one's brain fully engaged) in shorts and tee-shirt is immeasurably safer than riding like a lunatic at 260+kph in any amount of safety gear.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd April 2011, 15:10

Me too. On a mighty Suzuki RV90! We all had tee shirts on too.

YellowDog
3rd April 2011, 15:23
Three young men on a red motorcycle. Rider has a helmet but a shirt and shorts only, that is, nothing on his feet. Behind him, two guys without helmets, only shorts, jandals etc.

I'll keep an eye out for them on the news :no:

pritch
3rd April 2011, 21:22
...I cant actually remember any leather jackets or pants being owned by mates/acquaintances back in the 70's...

My friends and I wore leather jackets, gloves and riding boots in the 60s.
Sheep skin seemed to feature quite a lot.

I do seem to vaguely recall at least one attempt to see how many people we could get on a bike. Inquiring minds and all that...

Of course you couldn't do that sort of thing now. People would make smart arsed cracks about taking your girlfriend for a ride. :devil2:

HenryDorsetCase
6th April 2011, 21:51
Wellington? Early seventies? suzuki AC50? Heading for the Cricketers Arms? If so, we were on the same bike...

flash forward to the early 80's going to the pub on Abel Smith Street (Southern Cross? its still there...but flasher now. Only place that would reliably serve underagers....)

them were t'days, aye...

jazfender
7th April 2011, 14:58
Today, Saturday the 2nd of April, Maidstone Road, Christchurch at approximately 5PM.

by golly that's fuckin ridikkalas! i mean really, crikey dick.

admenk
7th April 2011, 15:14
Riding in a responsible manner (with one's brain fully engaged) in shorts and tee-shirt is immeasurably safer than riding like a lunatic at 260+kph in any amount of safety gear.

Exactly - having all the right gear does not make you a better rider. (but yes, it will protect you if you come off) I've lost track of the amount of times people have waffled on about how many thousand dollars they spent on their gear, only to get on their bike and ride like a complete idiot. The best safety gear you will ever have is your brain, but yes, some people aren't blessed with those.

avgas
7th April 2011, 15:31
Time to go back to being a boy racer then.......

Insanity_rules
8th April 2011, 15:11
I once rode through a camp ground ONLY wearing a helmet and shoes one new years. I'm still banned too.

CookMySock
11th April 2011, 15:03
glad im not part of this us bullshit thenWell said. </10 chars>

CatTheBrat
15th April 2011, 15:31
Well, they are breaking the law by not wearing a helmet.. and if/when they do crash and burn who pays for their ACC.... just adding to those wonderful statistics..? <_<

Everyone sees a motorcyclist/pillions breaking the law and being careless / foolish therefore all motorcyclists must be dangerous... :brick: They may very well never crash, just looks really bad, and earning the title 'temporary citizens'...

Jus sayin...

rastuscat
15th April 2011, 18:55

Um, am I missing something............they ARE motorcyclists.

People who ride motorcycles, however stupidly, are motorcyclists. Just like people who ride skateboards are skateboarders.

Shock, horror, probe.

rastuscat
15th April 2011, 18:58
:whocares: Seriously? Get a life.

Yeah, wot 'e said.