PDA

View Full Version : Trading down - what say you?

rastuscat
4th April 2011, 11:16
I've had a BMW R1150GS for three years, thinking I'd do the Charley and Ewan thing. A few days on gravel made me realise that I actually don't enjoy it, so I'm an onroad rider only these days.

The 1150GS is great on road, but I'm looking a bit smaller in terms of bike size. Economy etc have become more important.

I'm looking at VFR800 Honda or a F800ST BMW. I've had an F800ST before, but I hear the VFR800 is a stunner.

I need to have full luggage, as we go away 3 or 4 times a year (two up). I commute every day on the bike, and the trips away mean I need something that will do decent 2-up work.

Interested in thoughts on this.

MSTRS
4th April 2011, 11:23
Don't be too hasty. What will another bike do for you that the Beemer can't?
We wouldn't want you to make a mistake, now, would we? :innocent:

Gremlin
4th April 2011, 12:21
I traded down to a R1200GSA :innocent: They really are one of the best bikes for handling anything you throw at it. Economy is pretty good, but the 1150 is definitely heavier, with less performance. I've had my R1200 go under 5L/100km with full luggage, but as always, your right hand controls consumption.

I won't go off road too much at this point, but I only have to fit knobblies, and she's perfectly capable. She currently has street tyres, as I do very little gravel, and if I do, its slow speed exploring of forests etc.

To other bikes, I guess its about purpose. Naturally the smaller you go, the less suitable it is for 2up work (IMHO). I've ridden the VFR800, I didn't like the VTEC aspect of it. You'd have to ride one, to see what its like, and if you like it.

It also depends on your size, and your pillion. While the 1150/1200 are huge bikes, they are also comfortable for long distances. Consider perhaps a 2nd hand R1200, at least test ride, to see if the improvements are more to your liking?

As for other options? There is a long list of bikes to choose from :D Most bikes of almost any capacity are going to be smaller than the big BMWs. Depending on your budget and brand preference, the Ducati Multistrada is in similar territory, more road biased... etc. Honda Blackbird, VFR1200, ST1300... list goes on and on if you don't have a category in mind.

rastuscat
4th April 2011, 12:53
Yes, have pondered most of that. We rode to Nelson via Kaikoura this weekend, and back via Lewis Pass. I spent most of that time thinking that I needed a big tourer.

Thing is, probably 90-95% of my riding is one up, and commuting. Of that, 50 % is open road, and 50% city roads. I've put ST1300s, FJR1300s and Kwaka 1400s on my watch list, but I suspect they're all too big. I reverse my 1150GS into my garage each day, and that reminds me how bloody big it is.

I'm tall, 92 kg. My wife is short, and 80 kg. That's what worries me, an 800 might struggle for go when fully loaded. It'd be a great commuter, and one ip tourer, but not too sure about 2 up touring.
:facepalm:

Smifffy
4th April 2011, 13:15
How long are the trips (I mean in days not ks) and how much luggage do you take?

Anything more than a weekend away, and I think you would struggle on a VFR800 with two of you & luggage.

That's not to say it can't be done of course, I'm sure there are folks who will pipe up and say they've gone for weeks 2 up around the whole country on a 250 or less, but somehow I don't think that's what you are aiming for.

BMWST?
4th April 2011, 18:16
I've had a BMW R1150GS for three years, thinking I'd do the Charley and Ewan thing. A few days on gravel made me realise that I actually don't enjoy it, so I'm an onroad rider only these days.

The 1150GS is great on road, but I'm looking a bit smaller in terms of bike size. Economy etc have become more important.

I'm looking at VFR800 Honda or a F800ST BMW. I've had an F800ST before, but I hear the VFR800 is a stunner.

I need to have full luggage, as we go away 3 or 4 times a year (two up). I commute every day on the bike, and the trips away mean I need something that will do decent 2-up work.

Interested in thoughts on this.

what a about a r1150 rs, r1200 rt or r1200st,same as the gs but more maneagable package

rastuscat
4th April 2011, 19:44
[QUOTE=Smifffy;1130027648]How long are the trips (I mean in days not ks) and how much luggage do you take? Anything more than a weekend away, and I think you would struggle on a VFR800 with two of you & luggage.[QUOTE]

My wife (bless her) can tough it out for a small number (like 3) days, no more. So I don't expect to be carrying hundreds of litres of luggage.

Cool having peoples thoughts.

rastuscat
4th April 2011, 19:49
what a about a r1150 rs, r1200 rt or r1200st,same as the gs but more maneagable package

Have a look at the TM listings for R1200STs. I thought it was a the perfect bike, until someone showed me a headlight profile on one. The TM listings normally show side on and rear shots, coz the headlight is butt ugly.

I have to admit that I'm not going to own a bike that repulses me. I ride an R1200RT for work (guess my job), and the bill for replacing a clutch makes me cringe.

I'm leaning toward an F800ST, used to have one, maybe should never have sold it. I watched a video of Charley and Ewan, and lost my marbles. The Lebben Fiddy has been cool, but doesn't really meet my needs. I love it, but it's time to let go.

Something about setting it free, and if it comes back, crush the f***er.
:shit:

AllanB
4th April 2011, 20:08
Go for it - the fact that you have thought about enough to post here says to me it is a given.

Just need to decide on what to replace it with!

The Honda is a pearler and extremely capable - sounds mint with a pipe too! Heaps of info online from owners.

I've not tried the BMW800.

Ocean1
4th April 2011, 20:26
Triumph sprint?

Buell Ulysses?

Moto Guzzi Norge/Griso?

BMW F800ST?

Triumph Tiger, (old or new model)?

A generic boring non-descript Japanese IL4?

What do you want to spend?

blackdog
4th April 2011, 20:31
Triumph sprint?

Buell Ulysses?

Moto Guzzi Norge/Griso?

BMW F800ST?

A generic boring non-descript Japanese IL4?

What do you want to spend?

must admit sprint or tiger was the first thing to cross my mind.

new 800 tiger looks spectacular in the metal.

ktm smt?

rastuscat
4th April 2011, 20:50
Listed Daffy on TM,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=366513866

The local beemer bloke says that selling it is better than trading it. Also, selling it means I can buy private, or hammer a deal from a dealer.

I'm over gravel roads, it tar for me. There's a nice R1200R on TM. Budget depends on selling the GS, but around $15K,

nallac
4th April 2011, 20:52
Buell Ulysses?

+1 to the XB12X.....

Heapsa fun to ride one up with luggage off, good for touring two up with it back on(or so says BD).

Ocean1
4th April 2011, 21:06
ktm smt?

Yes. Bit off the top of the budget probably but worth a look.

I'm over gravel roads, it tar for me. There's a nice R1200R on TM. Budget depends on selling the GS, but around $15K,

Hardly trading down. Except in weight. And a lot of the "Adv" class, while utterly useless on anything more than gravel are nonetheless excellent tourers for NZ.

+1 to the XB12X.....

Heapsa fun to ride one up with luggage off, good for touring two up with it back on(or so says BD).

Yes, I liked mine. The luggage is good too, except for the bloody latches...

pc220
4th April 2011, 21:08
Easy. Get a smaller fun commute bike, then for the 2 up touring just borrow the company bike.:niceone:

rastuscat
4th April 2011, 21:58
+1 to the XB12X.....

Heh heh. Rode one before I bought the GS. Torque enough to overcome inertia 4 million times. Didn't like the vibration while stationary, but that's a huge vtwin.

rastuscat
4th April 2011, 22:00
Hardly trading down.
'
Yup, realize that all the suggested bikes are gems. I'm going down in size, definitely not quality.

Ocean1
4th April 2011, 22:17
'
Yup, realize that all the suggested bikes are gems. I'm going down in size, definitely not quality.

My brother has an R1200GSA... thing and he likes it for just touring. He reckons all BMWs are now not only manufactured but assembled in China. If true it says little about the quality, several manufacturers have done the same succesfully.

Best advice I've had is to test ride 'em all. It made a difference more than once.

Luck.

Gremlin
5th April 2011, 01:54
Thing is, probably 90-95% of my riding is one up, and commuting. Of that, 50 % is open road, and 50% city roads. I've put ST1300s, FJR1300s and Kwaka 1400s on my watch list, but I suspect they're all too big. I reverse my 1150GS into my garage each day, and that reminds me how bloody big it is.
Anything is going to be a trade off, unless you have a couple of bikes. Hell, some use a 50cc scooter for daily commutes. Punting the BMW around town for work is like taking a sportsbike to a go kart track. Handy I have the CB900 for work, but I wouldn't enjoy 1000km days on the CB900 like I do on the BMW.

You get something perfect for commuting, and its likely it won't be good for country trips, the needs are sort of mutually exclusive, and vice versa (depending of course, on how you define country trips/touring).

If you still love the BMW, then perhaps consider a cheapie for commuting. I can't imagine you'd lead a happy life with the perfect commuter, if your wife hated travelling the countryside on it.

I tell you what... finding the perfect bike to suit all your needs is damn hard... and I've been trying. :yes:

Scouse
5th April 2011, 02:10
Triumph sprint?

Buell Ulysses?

Wat e sed especialy the Triumph sprint or Buell Ulysses seem to be exactly what you are looking for

rastuscat
5th April 2011, 08:58
I can't imagine you'd lead a happy life with the perfect commuter, if your wife hated travelling the countryside on it.

Maybe I should trade the wife...........

rastuscat
5th April 2011, 08:59
P.S. I case you read this Mrs Cat, I was only joshing.............:sick:

CRM
5th April 2011, 14:11
I had a VFR800 and loved it in many respects (the V-Tec was great in my opinion and I had staintune pipes which were awesome) BUT it wasn't very economical in terms of tyres or repairs when doing reasonable mileage or in gas - about 6 to 6.5 litres per 100km. My wife prefers two-up on my current Transalp over the VFR. So VFR's are great bikes - but I wouldn't say you would be gaining in any area over the BMW except maybe a little weight reduction.

rastuscat
5th April 2011, 17:05
I had a VFR800 and loved it in many respects (the V-Tec was great in my opinion and I had staintune pipes which were awesome) BUT it wasn't very economical in terms of tyres or repairs when doing reasonable mileage or in gas - about 6 to 6.5 litres per 100km. My wife prefers two-up on my current Transalp over the VFR. So VFR's are great bikes - but I wouldn't say you would be gaining in any area over the BMW except maybe a little weight reduction.

Yeah, dual sporters are great tourers two up. I've all but decided on an F800ST beemer. It's about 30 pounds lighter than a VFR. It has less power, but the power is very usable, and is uniform across the rev band. Had one before, probably should have kept it. Bloody Ewan McGregor convinced me I needed a GS to take on the world. We lost our house in the first quake, and that caused me to have a reassess of the direction life is heading. I realize that I'm quite happy in the South Island.

Harumph.

raziel1983
14th April 2011, 20:07
Yeah, dual sporters are great tourers two up. I've all but decided on an F800ST beemer. It's about 30 pounds lighter than a VFR. It has less power, but the power is very usable, and is uniform across the rev band. Had one before, probably should have kept it. Bloody Ewan McGregor convinced me I needed a GS to take on the world. We lost our house in the first quake, and that caused me to have a reassess of the direction life is heading. I realize that I'm quite happy in the South Island.

Harumph.

Just to complicate things further, do a bit of research on these beemers, when I was looking at getting one i came across a lot of rear axle failures, if i remember correctly it was a design flaw, something to do with the belt drive...?

BMWST?
16th April 2011, 09:32
Have a look at the TM listings for R1200STs. I thought it was a the perfect bike, until someone showed me a headlight profile on one. The TM listings normally show side on and rear shots, coz the headlight is butt ugly.

I have to admit that I'm not going to own a bike that repulses me. I ride an R1200RT for work (guess my job), and the bill for replacing a clutch makes me cringe.

I'm leaning toward an F800ST, used to have one, maybe should never have sold it. I watched a video of Charley and Ewan, and lost my marbles. The Lebben Fiddy has been cool, but doesn't really meet my needs. I love it, but it's time to let go.

Something about setting it free, and if it comes back, crush the f***er.
:shit:

they are not ugly they are um distintive.One of the best headlights in motorcycling apparently.I wouldnt expect the clutch to need replacing as often as your work bike.

BMWST?
16th April 2011, 09:35
Just to complicate things further, do a bit of research on these beemers, when I was looking at getting one i came across a lot of rear axle failures, if i remember correctly it was a design flaw, something to do with the belt drive...?

belt drive?There is def a issue with the final drive support bearing and or seal.How significant the problem seems to be difficult to determine

vifferman
16th April 2011, 11:29
I'm tall, 92 kg. My wife is short, and 80 kg. That's what worries me, an 800 might struggle for go when fully loaded. It'd be a great commuter, and one ip tourer, but not too sure about 2 up touring.
:facepalm:
I'm 83kg, and my wife is just under 80 (I think). We've only done a couple of long trips with luggage, one of which was a 5-day tour of Up North, and the bike was by no means struggling, despite having the two of us, two back packs, and a tank bag.
Having said that, it's still not a large bike, so bear that in mind. We weren't uncomfortable, but it was 'snug' on the bike.

Edbear
16th April 2011, 13:31
Not being too biased or anything... I know where there is a good Boulevard C50T for sale... :innocent:

Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it, my wife and I have spent a lot of time on it and I used it for commuting in Auckland traffic as well as for a bit of fun solo.

In my 40 years of biking, it's been the best all-round bike I've ever ridden or owned for anything I wanted to do. Power? My mates can't believe it's only 805cc, two-up or solo! Room? the biggest of the middle-weight cruisers with plenty of legroom. Economy? An easy 60mpg.

jafar
26th April 2011, 12:00
The thing that will make or break a bike from the pillions point of view is the comfort of the seat & the distance from their ass to the pegs.... Many bikes these days are designed as a 1 + 1 seating setup, meaning that the pillion has to be a midget to ride on it for any length of time or feel totally cramped up. For this reason make sure you take any prospective bikes for a decent run with your better half on the back.
The seating position on the a lot of bikes is set up so the pillion sits higher than the rider, some like it ,some don't.
Think about the speeds you are likely to be wanting to cruise at, any mid sized bike will cruise at 100+ with little problem 2 up, it's in the passing that you will find it comes up short.