PDA

View Full Version : Cafe reviews - Places to ride to and eat at...

steelphoenix
4th April 2011, 12:47
I love food. All kinds of food. And I love riding (especially with my new bike :wings:). So how to combine these? Go find places to eat at that are a decent ride away. Before you ask - yes, this was partially inspired by the Hornet Swarm on Monday, where we always go to eat and then ride. :)

Now, I live in Auckland, and am an L-plater, so these may not be convenient to your location, or what you class as 'a decent ride' away. Please add your own reviews for your own area!

Carriages Cafe (http://www.carriagescafe.co.nz/LightNEasy.php?page=index), between Kumeu and Huapai.

Location: 299 State Highway 16, Kumeu (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/place?hl=en&sugexp=llsfp&xhr=t&cp=11&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=carriages+cafe&fb=1&gl=nz&hq=carriages+cafe&hnear=Auckland&cid=17714872049269977611)
You have to park in the large carpark, and go through the garden centre.

The Ride: It's the ride out to Kumeu - I find that people either love it or hate it! I personally like the nice sweeping curves and 80/100 zone. I went out on a pretty quiet morning, so no getting stuck behind slowpokes, which I have experienced previously.

The Food: Lovely food, well-presented, tasty, and quickly served. I had one of their Open Omelettes with salmon, feta, and spinach (you get a choice of 3 toppings, extra toppings $2 each). Generously topped with salad and a lovely balsamic dressing (ate some before I took the photo). Nice and light, good chunky pieces of topping generously spread. Drinks (I chose a chai) was good, bowl size at my request, and also arrived quickly.

The Setting/Atmosphere: A very cool location, with two rail carriages behind a historic (or historic-style) station building. Set beside a pond with ducks, which were quite vocal, but not disruptive. The staff were friendly and attentive.

Bonus - there was a meet of classic hotrods out the front, so got some lovely pictures, including ones of a classic yellow Norton Commando 750.

235928 235931 235930

(Also, yes, I did search to see if there was a thread like this around, couldn't find one.)

shrub
4th April 2011, 13:56
We were up in the sunny bay escaping earthquakes a couple of weeks ago, and travelling along State Highway 2 saw a sign "Motorcycle Museum and Cafe". My partner and our 2 daughters have zero interest in bikes, but I was driving so dad stopped the car. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. There was a late(ish) Harley, a BMW K1, an old GPZ500 and a small selection of dirt bikes, a few posters and that was about it. Food and coffee were OK and people friendly, but the high point was watching the owner's 2 small dogs going for it in the middle of the cafe.

The Stranger
4th April 2011, 14:11
I had one of their Open Omelettes with salmon, feta, and spinach (you get a choice of 3 toppings, extra toppings $2 each). Generously topped with salad and a lovely balsamic dressing (ate some before I took the photo). Nice and light, good chunky pieces of topping generously spread. Drinks (I chose a chai) was good, bowl size at my request, and also arrived quickly.

What were you thinking? This beggars belief. You order womens food, topped with rabbit food and a fag's drink then you advertise it!

Honestly KB, not all Aucklanders are like this, he rides a Honda, homosexuality can strike anywhere anytime.

Latte
4th April 2011, 14:13
I thought that steelphoenix was a chick..... woops (sorry about all those PM's eh)

The Stranger
4th April 2011, 14:19
I thought that steelphoenix was a chick..... woops (sorry about all those PM's eh)

Whew, thanks for pointing that out. I must admit, it was a little disconscerting and I acted in haste. But better to be safe than sorry.

steelphoenix
4th April 2011, 15:38
LOL. :laugh:

Yes, I am a woman (as per the handy little tag at the top of my profile). :bleh: Also, Honda rider, and proud of it! :yes: I find it most amusing that you notice the make of my bike first...

Hiss - no problem... ;)

Latte
4th April 2011, 15:47
Just thought I should clarify, those are girly meals and beverages. But in this case that appears to be appropriate (back to "those PM's" ehehe).

The Stranger
4th April 2011, 16:09
LOL. :laugh:

Yes, I am a woman (as per the handy little tag at the top of my profile). :bleh: Also, Honda rider, and proud of it! :yes: I find it most amusing that you notice the make of my bike first...

Hiss - no problem... ;)

Well no, the first thing I noticed was the apparent gayness, then I thought oh, god please let this not be an Aucklander, when it was infact an Aucklander I then checked to see if there was a rational explanation - and presto the Honda, why look any further?

Only missed one tiny little detail in all of that.

But hey, look on the bright side. you'll be pleased to know that it is entirely consistent behaviour for a woman.

Old Steve
4th April 2011, 21:43
At the Mercer Service Centre - the Pokeno Bacon Shop
The Okoroire Pub, great burgers sitting in the Bike Shed looking at all the bikes
Wallys on the Wharf, Whakatane, best fish and chips around.
Tihoi Cafe, Western Access Road, south of Whakamarama. Great meals, try the mixed grill and sit out in the backyard.

Henk
4th April 2011, 22:47
Sand dunes at Muriwai is OK
The speights pub thing behind the servo in Wellsford does good pizza and coffee
Copper Kettle in Ngatea is always good for a stop on the way to Paeroa
Country kitchen just south of Ngaruwahia has better food than the building would suggest.
While it's open (summer months only) the caravan thingy at Bethels is awesome but take cash, no eftpos and I think they have probably closed for the year

Aside from the bethels road none of those are particularly great rides though

hellokitty
5th April 2011, 06:36
I like to ride the Old North Rd to Helensville and stop at the Ginger Crunch Cafe which is in the old railway building on the main road going north just past the shops in Helensville (behind the Garage - think it is a GAS service station) The Ginger Crunch Cafe makes the best ginger crunch, and does good coffee too.
I also like to ride the old road heading north from Auckland through Orewa and Waiwera up to Warworth and out to Matakana to the Morris and James pottery place which has a great cafe with heaps of parking. I never use the motorway as it is so boring!

Maha
5th April 2011, 07:11
Cool little Cafe' at Shelly Beach, on a nice day its absolutely stunning out there.

CookMySock
5th April 2011, 08:29
(Lady) biker-owned fish and chip shop on the wharf at Whakatane. Park right on the wharf next to the table and chairs. Don't be surprised if the owner comes out and asks for a ride on yer bike! A really nice spot.

The dam cafe at the Whakamaru dam. Gooood coffee, and half way from almost anywhere to almost anywhere!

Any roadside fruit shop! Had good experiences from most.

CRF119
5th April 2011, 18:31
I think this Topic should be made Sticky (What do you think Mods?)

Great idea it's always nice to ride somewhere and get a feed/drink and ride home. I did it a lot during day light savings but find my self going to the 2 same places because i don't know of any where else. Normally the best places are tucked away to.

I go from Hamilton to Vinnies in Ragland. Always great food and service.
Also from Hamilton to Waitomo There is a Cafe there beside the camp ground. You can take the main road or via Kawhia. Also a good ride out to the coast from the cafe just make sure you have a good supply of fuel closest gas station is Otorahonga .

EJK
5th April 2011, 18:40
They don't have 5 star quality food or coffee but it is a great (most excellent) place to hang out after a nice ride through the southern Waitakeres Range. They do good fish n chips (I loved their battered mussels). Was a regular customer.

Huia (and further down, the Little Huia) is very quiet and peaceful. Great place to relax, read a book or just escape from Auckland. Won't disappoint, trust me.
Whenever I had tough times or stress of Auckland life, this used to be my private getaway. It is only about an hour towards West from Auckland CBD.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=huia+auckland &amp;aq=&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=37.410045,86.572266&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hne ar=Huia,+Auckland,+New+Zealand&amp;ll=-36.998427,174.566411&amp;spn=0.00922,0.021136&amp;z=14&amp;out put=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=huia+auckla nd&amp;aq=&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=37.410045,86.572266&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hne ar=Huia,+Auckland,+New+Zealand&amp;ll=-36.998427,174.566411&amp;spn=0.00922,0.021136&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=huia+auckland&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.410045,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Huia,+Auckland,+New+Zealand&ll=-37.000308,174.576273&spn=0.00922,0.021136&z=16

Old Steve
5th April 2011, 20:20
(Lady) biker-owned fish and chip shop on the wharf at Whakatane. Park right on the wharf next to the table and chairs. Don't be surprised if the owner comes out and asks for a ride on yer bike! A really nice spot.

That's Wally's on the Wharf at Whakatane, right next door to the Game Fishing Club. They put lemon pepper on their fish. Well worth a ride south from Tauranga, a loop passed the lakes, around Kawerau, and on to Whakatane through Taneatua and Ohope.

Hey, that's almost your local fish and chip shop isn't it DB?

Fatt Max
5th April 2011, 22:11
Absolutley everywhere.......